closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It depends on the ink. Emerald of Chivor gunks up a pen a lot quicker than Shin-Kai.
    Use Diamine Onyx black or Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. I feel the diamine is "wetter" than the Take-Sumi.

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Difficult one, depends on the pen and the ink. My Platinum 3776 can apparently be left up to 12 months due its special cap (never tested this theory), Diamine Oxblood and Red Dragon clog up my Twiss pens (in a month) but I think that's a red ink issue, so no hard and fast rules.

I've started having fewer pens permanently inked - used to be about 30ish - much less hassle with hard starts and fewer mammoth cleaning sessions.

Have now gone for 6 in my carry to work case and the others stored, cleaned and ready to go. So as I empty one a new one comes out of storage.
    So it should be OK to leave them unused for 2 weeks or so?
    The feed/nib takes bl***y ages to dry. I quite like my Sonnet for that, I can dismantle the pen and clean it separating the nib and feed, let it dry overnight-job done.The others, like my MB 146 and Pilot Sterling where I cannot take them apart take longer. I let them soak in water for an hour or so and stand them nib down on some folded up kitchen towel. Periodically puta few drops of water into the feed, repeat till there is no residual ink!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Use Diamine Onyx black or Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. I feel the diamine is "wetter" than the Take-Sumi.

So it should be OK to leave them unused for 2 weeks or so?
    The feed/nib takes bl***y ages to dry. I quite like my Sonnet for that, I can dismantle the pen and clean it separating the nib and feed, let it dry overnight-job done.The others, like my MB 146 and Pilot Sterling where I cannot take them apart take longer. I let them soak in water for an hour or so and stand them nib down on some folded up kitchen towel. Periodically puta few drops of water into the feed, repeat till there is no residual ink!.
    2 weeks will be ok, you may have a hard start but a bit of scribbling or quick dab in some water will sort that out.

Get a bulb syringe and use that to flush the nib unit with warm water, after you've had it soaking. I wrap mine up in kitchen roll afterwards to absorb any water.

Brian Goulet has a a useful hints and tips video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZ39gUiLB4

Master
    2 weeks will be ok, you may have a hard start but a bit of scribbling or quick dab in some water will sort that out.

Get a bulb syringe and use that to flush the nib unit with warm water, after you've had it soaking. I wrap mine up in kitchen roll afterwards to absorb any water.

Brian Goulet has a a useful hints and tips video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZ39gUiLB4

Thanks LuBee! The bulb seems like a good idea. It's cleaning the ink channel that takes time. I've had small droplet/s coming after 5 soaks. The reason for keeping then nib down on a paper towel is the hope the capillary action will draw out any ink in the ink channel. Yes, I have OC traits!

Master
    Thanks LuBee! The bulb seems like a good idea. It's cleaning the ink channel that takes time. I've had small droplet/s coming after 5 soaks. The reason for keeping then nib down on a paper towel is the hope the capillary action will draw out any ink in the ink channel. Yes, I have OC traits!
    Soaking doesn't always clear the ink channel in my experience.

I sold a pen this week (a novelty for me!), had it soaking overnight and thought it was clean but when I flushed in it poured with remnants of Aurora Black.

Master
    Soaking doesn't always clear the ink channel in my experience.

I sold a pen this week (a novelty for me!), had it soaking overnight and thought it was clean but when I flushed in it poured with remnants of Aurora Black.
    Hmmm. The "ear syringe bulb" is available in Boot £ 4.99.
    This might be an overkill http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/jpl-ultra-...-cleaner-a04un !

Master
    Ultrasonic cleaner thats getting a bit serious!

Master
    Ultrasonic cleaner thats getting a bit serious!
    Kidding! SWMBO will shoot me (I mean it)

Master
    Kidding! SWMBO will shoot me (I mean it)
    claim its multi purpose....its for cleaning jewellery too!

I use J Herbin cartridges now, bottled ink is too much of a faff. I never get dried out nibs and when I do want to clean them I use an old converter and flush them through with Diamine Nib Cleaning Fluid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I use J Herbin cartridges now, bottled ink is too much of a faff. I never get dried out nibs and when I do want to clean them I use an old converter and flush them through with Diamine Nib Cleaning Fluid.
    I use bottled ink too. I refill my cartridges! Paranoid about blocked nibs + borderline OCD. Hence this question about cleaning the ink channel. Nib cleaning solution is just diluted ammonia isn't it?

I use bottled ink too. I refill my cartridges! Paranoid about blocked nibs + borderline OCD. Hence this question about cleaning the ink channel. Nib cleaning solution is just diluted ammonia isn't it?
    Not sure. Probably not.

Ammonia is great for clearing really stubborn ink, but you have to be careful with it around nibs because it can tarnish them. Most of the time, even dried up ink can be flushed with water only.

I think it's made from a form of citric acid

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Not sure. Probably not.

Ammonia is great for clearing really stubborn ink, but you have to be careful with it around nibs because it can tarnish them. Most of the time, even dried up ink can be flushed with water only.
    That is it says on dedicated FP sites, no one is really sure on the dilution! Precisely! I just flush with plenty of water and let it "drip dry". If I feel like it use hot (not boiling) water. Taking up LuBee's idea and working on it. A catheter tip syringe connected to some rubber tubing which goes inside/outside the feed/section forming a watertight seal and then squeeze away till the last of the ink come out. Overkill? Yes! Satisfies my OC traits!

That is it says on dedicated FP sites, no one is really sure on the dilution! Precisely! I just flush with plenty of water and let it "drip dry". If I feel like it use hot (not boiling) water. Taking up LuBee's idea and working on it. A catheter tip syringe connected to some rubber tubing which goes inside/outside the feed/section forming a watertight seal and then squeeze away till the last of the ink come out. Overkill? Yes! Satisfies my OC traits!
    Method i've seen is to use an empty ink cartridge and put a hole in the bottom to take a syringe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Method i've seen is to use an empty ink cartridge and put a hole in the bottom to take a syringe
    That is very good idea, but you'll need different ink cartridges for different makes of pens. I was thinking about a standard one that fits all pens. I'll patent it. Next, world domination!

Master
    Dilute anomia 1:10 with distilled water (and maybe a bit of washing up liquid) seems to be the commonly held view.

Never done it myself as I don't have that badly gunked up pens. Thinks its only needed for really dried up old ink.

Master
    Dilute anomia 1:10 with distilled water (and maybe a bit of washing up liquid) seems to be the commonly held view.

Never done it myself as I don't have that badly gunked up pens. Thinks its only needed for really dried up old ink.
    I think that makes sense, dried ink in the ink channel, feed, nib, fins will need prolonged soaking and/or some chemicals to help in softening /dislodging/dissolving the the dried up ink . My question was about day to day cleaning or cleaning when changing ink.

In the past 3 years I have been using fountain pens, dont use anything else but always have a parker roller ball just in case.

I use a Lamy Logo EF nib for my engineering/survey notebooks, ideal as its a stainless steel finish and wears well for the environments it gets used in.

For meetings and general office use, at home also. I use a MB M Fountain pens with Medium nib.

I also have a Lamy Safari, that gets used rarely to be honest but it does write very well if I am honest.

Master
    I think that makes sense, dried ink in the ink channel, feed, nib, fins will need prolonged soaking and/or some chemicals to help in softening /dislodging/dissolving the the dried up ink . My question was about day to day cleaning or cleaning when changing ink.
    A flush with warm water and washing up liquid is all I use in those circumstances.

Master
    A flush with warm water and washing up liquid is all I use in those circumstances.
    Damn! What an anticlimax!

Master
    Damn! What an anticlimax!
    Sorry to disappoint! No magic potions or mysterious techology...

Warm water and washing up liquid for me too.

Chris

I've ordered a couple of pens in the last two days. The first is a Namisu Orion in stonewashed titanium with a medium Bock titanium nib:

The second is a Ystudio Brassing fountain pen with a fine nib.

I've ordered a couple of pens in the last two days. The first is a Namisu Orion in stonewashed titanium with a medium Bock titanium nib:

I like the bottom one mate, where is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    I bought it from a Dutch website https://www.kohezi.com/collections/y...n-pen-brassing

It worked out cheaper than buying from The Journal Shop in the UK.

https://www.thejournalshop.com/brands/ystudio

Me too......

I bought it from a Dutch website https://www.kohezi.com/collections/y...n-pen-brassing

will drop hints....see if she will treat me hahahaha

It comes with sandpaper so you can start the wearing process yourself.

Master

Really liked these when I saw them a couple of weeks ago and then I saw the price somewhere around the £190 mark....Dutch site seems more reasonable.

But I must not buy any more pens....well not before I offload a Pelikan and one of my Visconti's....

Well Appointed Desk has just posted a review http://www.wellappointeddesk.com/201...-pen-fine-nib/

Master

This one looks very tasty, https://www.namisu.com/collections/f...nt=19928438341
    Mercifully out of stock!

This one looks very tasty, https://www.namisu.com/collections/f...nt=19928438341
    Mercifully out of stock!
    not a bad price too!

Master
    YOU MONSTER!!! Must Resist, Must Resist, Must Resist, must resist. Must Resist.
    I win! Very nice looking pen, titanium body & nib is a novelty (for me). I have a pen incoming and have deferred all purchases till then. It is getting more and more difficult!

Master
    YOU MONSTER!!! Must Resist, Must Resist, Must Resist, must resist. Must Resist.
    I win! Very nice looking pen, titanium body & nib is a novelty (for me). I have a pen incoming and have deferred all purchases till then. It is getting more and more difficult!
    Be brave.....

The Studio Ebononite looks gorgeous too:

My Namisu Orion arrived just now. I've inked it up. Initial impressions are it is a very wet pen, which is something I've been missing recently. That's down to the titanium nib. It feels very like a Pelikan to write with, although maybe has a bit more bite. Here's a sample:

A closeup of the nib:

And some other pens for comparison. I lined them up at the bottom end and draw a line where the Orion sits:

From top to bottom:

Namisu Orion Stonewashed Titanium
    Pilot Capless
    Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black
    Lamy 2000
    Franklin Christoph Model 20
    Pelikan M600
    Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme
    TWSBI 580AL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Like I needed any more pens... I've just spent a whopping £9.23 on 3 Jinhao pens on Amazon (including shipping).

If just one of them is good to write with them I'm happy.

• X750 in lava red

• 159 in black and silver

• X750 Deluxe (for £2.92 ???) in black with 18k gold plate

Pics when (if) they turn up intact.

Purple Kaweco Sport Skyline

If anyone sees one please let me know. It was a special edition in 2015 and usually comes with a tin.
    http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/12/k...ic-purple.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Like I needed any more pens... I've just spent a whopping £9.23 on 3 Jinhao pens on Amazon (including shipping).

Pics when (if) they turn up intact.
    You should be ashamed of yourself spending this obscene amount of money on pens when will you think about the children!
    Jokes apart I always wonder how they do it. Seriously tempted to buy one Jinhao just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by 72bpm; 17th February 2017 at 21:59.

Master
    Seriously tempted to buy one Jinhao just for the heck of it.
    Mr Nakaya getting tempted by a Jinhao....made me smile :)

Craftsman

new or vintage

I do love a fountain pen but have to confess I'm not likely to own anything more exciting than a parker for the time being. However retirement looms and I may be inclined to treat myself but not before a nice Rolex Sub.

Master
    My Namisu Orion arrived just now. I've inked it up. Initial impressions are it is a very wet pen, which is something I've been missing recently. That's down to the titanium nib. It feels very like a Pelikan to write with, although maybe has a bit more bite. Here's a sample:
    Whats the Fire & Ice like, seems to being talked about everywhere?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I do love a fountain pen but have to confess I'm not likely to own anything more exciting than a parker for the time being. However retirement looms and I may be inclined to treat myself but not before a nice Rolex Sub.
    There are some great modern inexpensive pens out there but if you decide to go vintage just choose your vendor wisely.

Ive never trod the vintage path other than a cheap Esterbrook as I'm not a fan of lever fillers with a sac. But having said that some lf the materials used in the past are georgeous especially the stripy Parker Vavumatics

Whats the Fire & Ice like, seems to being talked about everywhere?
    It's really nice to write with. The teal is a great colour (it's my favourite colour for inks) and there is some, subtle red shading, although not as much as reviews show where they chuck down loads of ink. I'd definitely recommend it, it's right up there in my top 3 inks now.

Intro to Fountain Pens

I started using fountain pens again some years back. Before that it was always pencil, three mechanical drawing pencils lined up in your jacket pocket was de rigueur in my sector: 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm. I do have a Montblanc, well I had to, as it was the aspirational brand of the 80s and 90s, but I press hard when I write so tend to use stiff, hooded nibs: Parker 51, Parker 61 and Sheaffer Targa. Any recommendations for people who press hard when writing? Always liked the Conway Stewart with the poppy, but the traditional style pens look to have springy nibs to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You should be ashamed of yourself spending this obscene amount of money on pens when will you think about the children!
    Jokes apart I always wonder how they do it. Seriously tempted to buy one Jinhao just for the heck of it.
    I know... utterly frivolous

Makes me wonder more about how much mark-up is on the expensive ones TBH (says the bloke on a watch forum !).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I started using fountain pens again some years back. Before that it was always pencil, three mechanical drawing pencils lined up in your jacket pocket was de rigueur in my sector: 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm. I do have a Montblanc, well I had to, as it was the aspirational brand of the 80s and 90s, but I press hard when I write so tend to use stiff, hooded nibs: Parker 51, Parker 61 and Sheaffer Targa. Any recommendations for people who press hard when writing? Always liked the Conway Stewart with the poppy, but the traditional style pens look to have springy nibs to me.

I too press hard so tend to stick to steel nibs but have a few gold nibs. Platinum #3776 although a big gold nib are fairly stiff. Waterman Carene - for a gold nib it has next to no spring in it or if you want a truely hard as nails nibs vintage Esterbrooks.

I too press hard so tend to stick to steel nibs but have a few gold nibs. Platinum #3776 although a big gold nib are fairly stiff. Waterman Carene - for a gold nib it has next to no spring in it or if you want a truely hard as nails nibs vintage Esterbrooks.
    Many thanks for the tips.