closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: buying a fake version of the watch you own?

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    On a side note, or perhaps, as its discussing the thread topic, there's is a parallel/precedent for this.

It isnt unusual for guitarists with valuable/hard to replace guitars to have replicas made that they'll play on stage, and I'm not just talking about the superstars, I know plenty of pub gig guys who have had something from when it wasn't considered vintage that no longer want to gig it.

Mind you, those don't tend to have the brand names on them.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it's alright to buy fakes. I'm saying in other areas, certain circumstances allow a replica to be acceptable. In the all out fake stakes, the victim tends to be the bugger who buys a fake passed off as genuine.
    I have an Epiphone Prophecy GX Les Paul rep, sound and looks fine to me. I don't class that as a fake Les Paul. Didn't one of them dudes from Oasis play an Epi, and Paul Weller as well. No doubt they could afford the real thing, probably had the real thing, but like the OP didn't want to get it bashed on stage. I also have a couple of fake watches I bought quite some time back when my interest is watches was developing. TBH I don't wear them anymore, I don't even know where they are, but they were/are real nice looking watches to me. I can certainly see the point in wearing a cheaper watch in certain circumstances, but would I wear a fake, not sure is my answer now. I have a GMT 11C as my daily wearer and save my 2 Daytonas and Hulk for special occasions. I am indifferent to the morality of fakes, some peeps cant afford the real thing but really like the look of certain models. They don't necessarily want to pass them off as gens, I know I never did. They just like the look of a certain brand.

Just my tuppence worth

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I have an Epiphone Prophecy GX Les Paul rep, sound and looks fine to me. I don't class that as a fake Les Paul. Didn't one of them dudes from Oasis play an Epi, and Paul Weller as well. No doubt they could afford the real thing, probably had the real thing, but like the OP didn't want to get it bashed on stage. I also have a couple of fake watches I bought quite some time back when my interest is watches was developing. TBH I don't wear them anymore, I don't even know where they are, but they were/are real nice looking watches to me. I can certainly see the point in wearing a cheaper watch in certain circumstances, but would I wear a fake, not sure is my answer now. I have a GMT 11C as my daily wearer and save my 2 Daytonas and Hulk for special occasions. I am indifferent to the morality of fakes, some peeps cant afford the real thing but really like the look of certain models. They don't necessarily want to pass them off as gens, I know I never did. They just like the look of a certain brand.

Just my tuppence worth

Stuart
    Epiphone are owned by Gibson. I don't think Rolex own the replica companies...

when i say replica guitar i mean they'll go to a luthier and have a very close copy of their 63 strat made warts and all, just with no name on the headstock.

not cheap, but waaay cheaper than having your actual 62 nicked, or dropped or the neck snapped off etc

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    At the age of 22 I bought a fake Rolex Daytona when I was in Singapore for training. I loved that watch and its what started my enjoyment of a nice mechanical watch. Soon after it inevitably feel apart I bought my first proper watch, a Tudor BB Chrono. I was hooked. I do wonder how many others found their way into this hobby through fakes....

Cheers
    I too started my love of watches from buying a fake.
    It was a £50 "Breitling" from Turkey that started falling apart after a year but it was my first mechanical watch and I loved the idea of the engineering that had gone in to it.

I would never wear a fake now of course but for me it served its purpose.

Going back to the original question, if I was too afraid to wear a watch in a particular situation I would simply not wear one, or i would at least wear a beater.

when i say replica guitar i mean they'll go to a luthier and have a very close copy of their 63 strat made warts and all, just with no name on the headstock.

not cheap, but waaay cheaper than having your actual 62 nicked, or dropped or the neck snapped off etc
    Not a fake though is it?

Plenty of Strat copies about rather like Sub-a-likes and they are not passing them off as genuine.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not a fake though is it?

Plenty of Strat copies about rather like Sub-a-likes and they are not passing them off as genuine.
    would it be termed replica or homage in the watch world?

course there was the interesting case of the fender stratocaster headstock which fender have managed to trademark. Initially they failed because it was deemed so ubiquitious that it couldn't be trademarked. I think they came back with "indistinguishable to the layman".

On the subject of strat copies, thats interesting too because without the headstock it stops being a copy. In Europe and US you either have to be a subsidiary like jackson or charvel, or pay fender for the use of the design.

its a bit diff in japan.

We just recruited a junior analyst and imagine my face when he showed up on his first day wearing a super-bling fake Tourbillon Breitling. It irritates me to no end when I see the bright young fellow running around with this atrocity. I hope he will use his first decent salary to buy a decent watch.

would it be termed replica or homage in the watch world?
    Homage

course there was the interesting case of the fender stratocaster headstock which fender have managed to trademark. Initially they failed because it was deemed so ubiquitious that it couldn't be trademarked. I think they came back with "indistinguishable to the layman".
    Only ubiquitous because Fender didn't protect their design from the start.

On the subject of strat copies, thats interesting too because without the headstock it stops being a copy. In Europe and US you either have to be a subsidiary like jackson or charvel, or pay fender for the use of the design.

its a bit diff in japan.
    Of course it is because that is where the serious American guitar copying started and the cease and desist notice didn't affect any form of production in Japan.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    We just recruited a junior analyst and imagine my face when he showed up on his first day wearing a super-bling fake Tourbillon Breitling. It irritates me to no end when I see the bright young fellow running around with this atrocity. I hope he will use his first decent salary to buy a decent watch.
    Surely an opportunity to have a quiet word in his shell about how such things reflect on him and the company.....

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    of course I'm not but I've just googled "mac83 rolex" and to my disbelief there is someone on replica watch info and replica watch guide with the same username... that is a genuine coincidence :-) scary...
    Seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Of course it is because that is where the serious American guitar copying started and the cease and desist notice didn't affect any form of production in Japan.
    A further interesting thing happened with that though, fender actually embraced it because the best clones were better made than the best american guitars. So fender got those companies to make up production while the management buyout was happening and they lost production capacity in the states.

Some would argue that outside of the custom shop, the MIJ guitars are still better made and cheaper for an equivalent model level. I certainly would.

However, this has stopped being relevant now, so my apologies and threadjack over ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Seriously ?
    What are you implying?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What are you implying?
    Are you being obtuse or you genuinely can't work it out?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What are you implying?
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Are you being obtuse or you genuinely can't work it out?
    unusual username mac83, more unusual is that they are both from Edinburgh, don't ask me how I know, I just do.

you do the math.

Craftsman
    If you people genuinely think I am registered on two fake watch forums with the same username then I have nothing else to say because you clearly will know better.

I have tag and my wife has omega among other watches like certina, seiko or citizen (all listed in my signature) and yes I live in Edinburgh but I am actually Polish and my name is Maciek and I was born in 83 hence the username. Never conned anyone here or elsewhere and had multiple successful transactions here (both bought and sold things albeit havent sold watches as I prefer to collect rather than flip) which some of you can confirm.

But nevermind some internet detectives have been busy and put 1 and 2 together and they got 4. So go on knock yourself out and feel free to carry on investigating but this is nothing more than internet bullying.

If there is someone out there whos first name is Maciek and is Polish then beyond reasonable doubt it has to be me. As far as I am concerned this is the end of this subject for me.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    unusual username mac83, more unusual is that they are both from Edinburgh, don't ask me how I know, I just do.

you do the math.
    Unusual but not unique. There would seem to be a mac 83 who's into IT living in Canada for example. There is another mac 83 living in Pittsburgh another one who's a golfer who plays golf in Kentucky. There's a French speaking one who writes fan fiction as well.
    Last edited by aldfort; 12th January 2015 at 19:40.

As far as I am concerned this is the end of this subject for me.
    You hopefully have to admit that after starting a thread on fakes, people are going to search who they are dealing with after recent events on here. I have bought dozens of watches on here without checking properly who I am dealing with because I believe(d) this place to be safe, I doubt I'm the only one.

You've talked about your fake TAG on here before; then a quick search by these 'bullying forum detectives' shows up a guy registered on 2 fake forums with an identical username and from the same town as you.

A very, very ill-advised thread to start, whether innocently or not.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Unusual but not unique. There would seem to be a mac 83 who's into IT living in Canada for example. There is another mac 83 living in Pittsburgh another one who's a golfer who plays golf in Kentucky. There's a French speaking one who writes fan fiction as well.
    OK. But none of them also are from Edinburgh, also post about their fake TAGs on here and are also registered on fake forums. Or are they, and I'm simply missing your point?

OK. But none of them also are from Edinburgh, also post about their fake TAGs on here and are also registered on fake forums. Or are they, and I'm simply missing your point?
    No the original assertion was same user name is pretty much an assurance of same person. Just pointing out that's not the case.

However when you get same user name, same town , same watches being talked about, then you might reasonably infer that it is the same person.

Craftsman
    You hopefully have to admit that after starting a thread on fakes, people are going to search who they are dealing with after recent events on here. I have bought dozens of watches on here without checking properly who I am dealing with because I believe(d) this place to be safe, I doubt I'm the only one.

You've talked about your fake TAG on here before; then a quick search by these 'bullying forum detectives' shows up a guy registered on 2 fake forums with an identical username and from the same town as you.

A very, very ill-advised thread to start, whether innocently or not.
    I don't think it is, and I have seen such a thread started on here before. It's a reasonably interesting question in my opinion and I have been intrigued by people's decisions in the past to do exactly as suggested by the OP.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last thread I saw on this topic didn't go down the same "witch-hunt" route and it personally wouldn't be my first instinct to assume that someone starting such a thread would also automatically be the sort that owned fakes.

Craftsman
    No the original assertion was same user name is pretty much an assurance of same person. Just pointing out that's not the case.

However when you get same user name, same town , same watches being talked about, then you might reasonably infer that it is the same person.

Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a bit bigger than a town. It has a metropolitan population of almost 800,000 and names with "mac" in it, as we all know, are not really a rarity in Scotland. Nor is being born in 1983.

I can accept that it's a bit suspicious, but I think the reaction has been a bit over the top as people have gotten themselves a tad overexcited with the detective work in the fallout from sayub's shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    I don't think it is, and I have seen such a thread started on here before. It's a reasonably interesting question in my opinion and I have been intrigued by people's decisions in the past to do exactly as suggested by the OP.
    Start another thread then and see how it goes?

... it personally wouldn't be my first instinct to assume that someone starting such a thread would also automatically be the sort that owned fakes.
    And yet by his own admission, he is.

Either way, I've no dog in the fight, I will just be far, far more careful in future when buying on SC, fakes and fake owners abound on here. I didn't know that.

If you could be bothered to search the forum you will see the reaction and views are fairly consistent over the years.

I think the reaction has been a bit over the top as people have gotten themselves a tad overexcited with the detective work in the fallout from sayub's shenanigans.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Start another thread then and see how it goes?

And yet by his own admission, he is.

Either way, I've no dog in the fight, I will just be far, far more careful in future when buying on SC, fakes and fake owners abound on here. I didn't know that.
    Well yes, he was given one apparently. I think that's a bit different to buying one. I'm not saying I believe him unquestionably mind, but I'm not going call for him to be strung up for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    If you could be bothered to search the forum you will see the reaction and views are fairly consistent over the years.
    And what search terms do you propose in order to get predominantly threads on this very question, and not the thousands of other threads that contain the word "fake" but are in no way related to this question?

I decided to go off my own recollections instead, terribly sorry that offended you. But I will remember to make sure that your every post has been subject to the same requirement. Actually I won't, because I just don't care.

I'm not going call for him to be strung up for it.
    Who has called for that, even metaphorically? He asked an ill-advised question (not according to you though), responses were unanimous. He reacted in a very OTT way and it caused 'forum detectives' to start digging.

Sensitive issue at the moment for this 'Gen' forum or whatever the faketards call them.

And what search terms do you propose in order to get predominantly threads on this very question, and not the thousands of other threads that contain the word "fake" but are in no way related to this question?

I decided to go off my own recollections instead, terribly sorry that offended you. But I will remember to make sure that your every post has been subject to the same requirement. Actually I won't, because I just don't care.
    Too much caffeine today?

I was not being either, rude or offended, rather pointing out the fact that it comes up fairly often and you seemed to be justifying that it was informative and interesting.

Stop being so sensitive.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I was not being either, rude or offended, rather pointing out the fact that it comes up fairly often and you seemed to be justifying that it was informative and interesting.

Stop being so sensitive.
    When you start with "if you could be bothered.." I'm not sure you can expect it to be considered anything else, but fine there's no point arguing over it any further.

I bought a fake watch from Ebay once(By mistake of course).The seller could not understand why it was fake as it came from a good source. Gumtree

Fair enough, but Edinburgh is a bit bigger than a town. It has a metropolitan population of almost 800,000 and names with "mac" in it, as we all know, are not really a rarity in Scotland. Nor is being born in 1983.

I can accept that it's a bit suspicious, but I think the reaction has been a bit over the top as people have gotten themselves a tad overexcited with the detective work in the fallout from sayub's shenanigans.
    I think you'll probably understand that most members on this forum don't approve of fakes.
    If somebody asks a question about fakes and suggests they have owned fakes then it tends to get a reaction.
    As you say a user name on it's own proves very little. But then add a location, the odds on it being the same person get shorter. Now add the age of the person, odds shorten again, now add the fact the same fake is talked about and the odds shorten yet again.
    In this instance the forum detectives have let the matter go but don't prod them or they will be back to demonstrate their superior Google-Fu. Or you could try for yourself and see what conclusion you come to.

buying a fake version of the watch you own?

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    I bought a fake watch from Ebay once(By mistake of course)

You'll tell us anything!

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    I bought a fake watch from Ebay once(By mistake of course).The seller could not understand why it was fake as it came from a good source. Gumtree

In other gumtree news

http://www.gumtree.com/p/watches/watch/1096233253

a bunch of adverts all worded the same way from the same seller.

I also get suspicious of genuine cartiers in sighthill

Craftsman
    I think you'll probably understand that most members on this forum don't approve of fakes.
    If somebody asks a question about fakes and suggests they have owned fakes then it tends to get a reaction.
    As you say a user name on it's own proves very little. But then add a location, the odds on it being the same person get shorter. Now add the age of the person, odds shorten again, now add the fact the same fake is talked about and the odds shorten yet again.
    In this instance the forum detectives have let the matter go but don't prod them or they will be back to demonstrate their superior Google-Fu. Or you could try for yourself and see what conclusion you come to.
    I love the fact that it looks like I am just about the only person that knows what an utter bullshit this is because I know that I'm not the same person as whoever has been posting on the fake watch forums with the same username and allegedly also living in Edinburgh. So your Google-Fu is full of shit. Every one else just eats this crap from the palms of your hands... I think its just funny now.

I love the fact that it looks like I am just about the only person that knows what an utter bullshit this is because I know that I'm not the same person as whoever has been posting on the fake watch forums with the same username and allegedly also living in Edinburgh. So your Google-Fu is full of shit. Every one else just eats this crap from the palms of your hands... I think its just funny now.
    If you look back a little further in this thread you will see I was pointing out it's very easy to jump to (erroneous) conclusions. But it seems you could not resist just jumping in with both feet. I've been very moderate in my posting in this thread so far and I don't intend that to change but by all means keep digging.

Craftsman
    if I was in the wrong I'd just shut up but I don't like being told I'm someone I'm not by people who know nothing about me. People who think they're smart because they can google around (not difficult you know) and say things they make up just to stir.

Craftsman
    to close this discussion for future reference - I'm not same person as mac83 registered on some replica forums as some of people in this subject suggest. If anyone wishes to have a chat with me directly about this feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number, otherwise I'm not really interested and will not let get some individuals get in my head.

One more for 'ze list'.

[QUOTE=Dave+63;3385848]You'll tell us anything! [/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Surely an opportunity to have a quiet word in his shell about how such things reflect on him and the company.....
    It depends on industry, location, and culture of the industry or location but a lot of people, possibly the majority, just couldn't care less.

I wrote the following on a similar subject back in 2012 (edited and updated for context):-

We're enthusiasts and we find originality and authenticity in watches to be of massive importance. We find it difficult to understand that not everyone might care about these things as we do.

Then, on the other hand, there are lots and lots of people, probably the majority (especially if taken worldwide), who really aren't that bothered. It doesn't matter to them one way or another. Fake or not, it's just a watch to them (or trainer, or shirt, or handbag, or sunglasses). Sure, this horrifies us, but we need to understand that our interests and beliefs (and the seriousness with which we take them) are in the minority. The fact that our beliefs concur with law enforcement in many countries still doesn't mean that we are in the majority.

And then there are a few others, the 'replica' community, who are as geeky and OCDish about 'replicas' (i.e. what we call fakes) as we are about genuine watches.

At the end of the day the world is a big place and there are a variety of interest groups. We are what we are, others are what they are. We can judge them in moral terms and they can judge us.

But the main thing I think is not to get too concerned with it or emotionally connected with it. If you just don't understand or grok the repllica geeks then don't worry about it. They do their thing. They probably don't get us either. And the great bulk of people in the middle definitely don't get us or care about us. Most people find our truly geeky interest in watches to be as baffling as the replica geeks are to us.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th January 2015 at 08:37.

In answer to the OP's initial question " No " but this topic has been an interesting read for me & as such I have had a look at some of these replica forums. What astonishes me is the amount of money and time some of these people spend modding these watches to give them as near genuine look and feel as possible shaving cases swapping out and fitting OEM parts some times it seems to the tune of £$ thousands? making your PP Nautilus look right to the 1 in 1000 that would even ( forgive the pun ) clock it.

That I don't get why not put the money and time invested into getting something genuine at the same cost?
    But as showed in a previous topic concerning Derby, plumber, puppies, Rollies and AP's that these things are out there so we do need to be vigilant and OP can I also understand why our community gets so emotive about them.
    Last edited by Orgone Accumulator; 14th January 2015 at 08:30.

A further interesting thing happened with that though, fender actually embraced it because the best clones were better made than the best american guitars. So fender got those companies to make up production while the management buyout was happening and they lost production capacity in the states.
    They did indeed. Fuji Gen first, then Tokai and Dyna if memory serves.

Some would argue that outside of the custom shop, the MIJ guitars are still better made and cheaper for an equivalent model level. I certainly would.
    Debatable.

They make some good stuff but certainly in the past the electrics were pretty crappy and needed changing. Not sure on the latest stuff as it is pretty around rare now unless you import from someone like Ishibashi.

When I was buying new guitars there was only US and Japan to choose from but the higher grade Mex stuff is as good as Japan now IMO.

However, this has stopped being relevant now, so my apologies and threadjack over ;)
    Nice to speak to someone with a keen history in electric guitar history like me.

I'd certainly like to get hold of a nice Japanese Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster in the future.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Why would you buy a fake watch?

Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz View Post
    Why would you buy a fake watch?
    Quote of the whole thread, surely?

That would be a 'no' then! :-)