closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a fake version of the watch you own?

No sorry my mistake, he's a member of two fake watch forums and seems to have a range of fakes - how terrible for the OP that he could be mistaken with someone like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    They certainly do in Edinburgh anyway.

OP, where do you live? If you have the good fortune to live in Leith, Granton or Pilton then the junkies around your way won't be folded by a fake. Clermiston or Wester Hailes, well that's a different story, they aren't so up on their horology, you might get away with a fake.
    Oi! Leith isn't so bad anymore ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Here's an amazing coincidence - a quick google reveals that someone with the same user name is a member of a fake watch forum where he has discussed the fakes he bought.

OP - I think you should pop over there and tell the bounder off for besmirching your good name - because as you say you are not interested in fakes.
    Ha ha Nice one, who would've thought of that

Craftsman
    No sorry my mistake, he's a member of two fake watch forums and seems to have a range of fakes - how terrible for the OP that he could be mistaken with someone like that!
    are you just winding me up now or are you for real? because I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    are you just winding me up now or are you for real? because I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
    So, are you a member of fake watch forums or not?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    So, are you a member of fake watch forums or not?

R
    of course I'm not but I've just googled "mac83 rolex" and to my disbelief there is someone on replica watch info and replica watch guide with the same username... that is a genuine coincidence :-) scary...

of course I'm not but I've just googled "mac83 rolex" and to my disbelief there is someone on replica watch info and replica watch guide with the same username... that is a genuine coincidence :-) scary...
    Thanks for clarifying.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    Oi! Leith isn't so bad anymore ;)
    Been near the banana flats recently?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Been near the banana flats recently?
    Near Henderson street? Yep, live maybe 2 mins away. It's a weird area, won't argue that. Soon as you get to the shore you're in trendy territory, but walk 5 mins in any direction and your up to your neck in neds. Everyone seems to coexist though. 16 years ago when I first arrived in Edinburgh you didn't go near the shore..

So which one are you?......

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    Near Henderson street? Yep, live maybe 2 mins away. It's a weird area, won't argue that. Soon as you get to the shore you're in trendy territory, but walk 5 mins in any direction and your up to your neck in neds. Everyone seems to coexist though. 16 years ago when I first arrived in Edinburgh you didn't go near the shore..
    It's an eclectic mix. I enjoy Sophi's Bar, round the corner from the Hostel, along from the Banana flats. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It's an eclectic mix. I enjoy Sophi's Bar, round the corner from the Hostel, along from the Banana flats. :)
    No way! I used to be pretty regular there before I worked in saudi!

Whatever the intentions/motives of the OP (who really cares enough to get so wound up?) I do think it is an interesting question - and I say that as a watch enthusiast (the horror).

I don't own any fakes and don't ever see my perspective changing on this point as I appreciate the superior craftsmanship and heritage of the real McCoys, but to the great unwashed, people of the like who frequent forums such as this are a very niche consumer group. To most, a watch is just a watch and spending over £100 on a timepiece is a ludicrous concept. To those who buy fake clothing, handbags and all the rest, i.e. those who clearly aren't arsed about thinking through the moral implications of buying counterfeit goods, a fake watch is also no big deal.

I do think it would be interesting to know how many people started with a fake and ended up with the genuine article, as someone said earlier in the thread happened with them, the brave soul! Buying fakes is not a good thing, but later purchasing the real product is the best result that can come from the situation at least.

There always seem to be a rash of sweeping generalisations that are thrown about when this topic comes up. My favourite being the "fake watches are for fake people" line. I find that ironic because ALL of the people I have encountered in real life who have been wearing fakes have not hesitated to reveal they are not the real thing so I don't think they are 'faking an image' of themselves. Maybe people (enthusiasts) get so wound up with others wearing fakes because of the values they themselves bestow upon their real hobby: that the fake wearers are buying into an 'image' or cheating themselves into some social cache when in fact most normal people don't care what anyone else is wearing. This is not a dig but I wonder how many people who slam fakes and fake wearers, wear authentic running shoes etc. from corporations that make their money from poverty and sweatshops. I think even the purchasing of authentic goods can represent genuine ethical dilemmas that are worth thinking about if only people could be bothered.

I also find it amusing when people say that you're not a watch enthusiast if you dare mention the word fake. I am not a fake defender or wearer so I will say with moral impunity that I have visited fake forums. In purchasing pre-owned pieces I have not only found these forums invaluable research tools almost as much as studying the legitimate products upon which they are based to the point I could spot a fake of the watches I enjoy at 20 paces. Which is a great advantage to me as a collector. But I digress, some of knowledge (with regards to watchmaking/mechanics) displayed by the people on those forums is scary and as similar to any experts on here or any other legit forum I have seen. I think you can be a real hardcore watch enthusiast and enjoy fakes if you appreciate them as devices and not marketing tools, but those people are still strolling in the moral grey/black zone.

Most people I have encountered buy real and fake watches simply because they like the look, and I understand that. It doesn't make it right, but its pretty simplistic and superficial view of the world shared by many a moron.
    I sort of get why someone would have a fake of a watch they like for knockabout. But if those same people genuinely appreciate build quality and reliability (in other products in life too), a fake junk watch that is poorly put together should make them cringe. I also don't understand why these fake enthusiasts spend so much good money to build 'ultimate fakes' even going to the extent of utlising real parts. If they're willing to go that far and we're not talking a £20 special off the beach on your hols, why not put that money to a well made genuine brand, like a Seiko, Citizen, Hamilton etc. or save the money towards a real piece? That's what I really don't get if the fakers call themselves genuine watch fans.

Of course the perfect rebuttal to these people is that if they are watch enthusiasts then why not just wear a homage - why do they have to have the logo of a real brand on their fake product? I imagine some do want to buy into the branding 'prestige' without paying the true price of admission, I don't know. To be honest I think its a question of knowledge and education. Some people do not understand why a genuine Rolex Submariner costs what it does, and sometimes there is no telling them. Also homage watches are something of a preserve of the genuine watch buying aficionados like us and many fake buyers probably don't know such types of watch exist.

Anyway, that was something of a ramble. I think it is quite possible to discuss fakes, any analyse viewpoints without condoning them whatsoever - people need not get their knickers in such a twist. Personally, I think it is an interesting topic because of the range of motives and psychology involved in buying/owning such a controversial item.

Craftsman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    We don't have smack-heads in Bolton, you must be on the rough side of our fair region.
    (Jesus, I wish it was true - it's like watching Trainspotting walking through town on a Monday morning).

tbh I don't know why I replied to the thread, I was just offering my own personal experience of the situation.
    I can't see it being true anyway myself, I suspect he put it out there just to raise a question mark - he bought a new 18ct Rolex every year through his shop and if I was spending that sort of cash I'd want to wear it, not a cheap copy.
    Bolton town centre is like watching a set from the hills have eyes , I've never seen so many hillbillies in one place.
    I'd never consider a fake but I think the OP is imagining a mob mentality. The question was put to fellow enthusiast's what they thought and the overwhelming consensus was it was a really bad idea. That's not the same as a mob mentality.

Here is a great talk about fakes... worth a watch. No pun intended!

Interesting you googled a specific watch brand - I just googled "Mac83 replica watch" because how would you know what brand that someone you aren't likes? It was good luck that your choice of brand was one that the faker like. I tell you what is is a scary coincidence - his online history seems to start at about that the same time as yours! What are the odds of that. Also I'd watch out for that dude because I see one of the things he was interesting in finding out is how people on a real watch forum could spot a fake.

Banned
    So can I wear a real Rolex in Edinburgh going for a short break soon.

?????

Craftsman
    Interesting you googled a specific watch brand - I just googled "Mac83 replica watch" because how would you know what brand that someone you aren't likes? It was good luck that your choice of brand was one that the faker like. I tell you what is is a scary coincidence - his online history seems to start at about that the same time as yours! What are the odds of that. Also I'd watch out for that dude because I see one of the things he was interesting in finding out is how people on a real watch forum could spot a fake.
    I think you should spend your time better than investigating online coincidences... try real life, I googled for Rolex as somehow when I think fake watch, Rolex brand pops in my head - go figure. I don't really need to explain myself to random people on the internet but I will in this particular case as I like this forum and don't want my name tarnished by someone who thinks they're smart working on a superficial facts. Person you're referring to on the other forums (two that I managed to find upon my 5 minute google search) seems to have joined both in 2013 which I think may indicate its the same person but could not be. I can't see anymore details as I'm not registered on either of the forums.

but being paranoid - you also joined TZUK in 2013 - it seems like your online history seems to start about the same time as the random user of fake watch forums - coincidence?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

?????
    you'll be alright, enjoy your trip just avoid Wester Hailes after sun sets maybe as others have pointed out.

I'm surprised that this subject - possible reasons/excuses to buy and wear "replica" (=fake) watches - keeps popping up on this forum now and then.

After all, the joy of being a watch enthusiast is wearing the items we admire for what they are. How could anyone enjoy wearing a fake, when there are so many excellent genuine watches available for mere hundreds of pounds? They must be people who want to deceive people about their wealth or taste; in other words, fake people!

(I'll admit that about 20 years ago, before I became a watch enthusiast, I did buy two fake Rolex watches offered to me by a friend who came back from Hong Kong. I wore them sparingly until they were stolen from my house, by a burglar who was caught the same day but refused to tell the police were he had dumped them. I didn't really want them back anyway. I guess karma was a bitch, both for me and the burglar... As far as I know I have never owned a fake item ever since, not even a cheap polo shirt pretending to be from a famous brand.)

Banned
    Why get all investigative and use Google?

Everything you need is right here, on good old TZ-UK.

I too have a fake TAG Monaco (plain, not McQueen though) that was given to me by a friend as a gift from a trip to China - how thoughtful...

Never wore it outside as I'd be too ashamed when someone asked me what watch that is... but it sparked my interest and if I will ever be able to afford Monaco I will definitely get one and wear it with pride :-)

Craftsman
    Fakes watches are for fake people.

They pass them off as 'real' and think that their 'AAA' '1:1' gumtree special is indistinguishable from the genuine article.

How I p'd myself laughing when someone showed me their fake '1:1' explorer II with polished centre links!!!!! never mind the 'orange' was waaaaaaaay off also!

The people who have never held the real item never realise how sh!t the fake is, and how far away from being even remotely close to the genuine item, I'd rather look at my phone to check the time than wear a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
    Fakes watches are for fake people.

They pass them off as 'real' and think that their 'AAA' '1:1' gumtree special is indistinguishable from the genuine article.

How I p'd myself laughing when someone showed me their fake '1:1' explorer II with polished centre links!!!!! never mind the 'orange' was waaaaaaaay off also!

The people who have never held the real item never realise how sh!t the fake is, and how far away from being even remotely close to the genuine item, I'd rather look at my phone to check the time than wear a fake.
    You think all fakes are bad? Have a look at the zsayub and Tai Mi Shu debacles and have another think.

but being paranoid - you also joined TZUK in 2013 - it seems like your online history seems to start about the same time as the random user of fake watch forums - coincidence?
    You've caught me out - after setting up the Mac83 account on two fake forums, I the joined here at the same time so two years later I could draw attention to it in an elaborate plan. If that is the case we should get together because I see you like IWC and so does my Mac83 account, he has a fake one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Why get all investigative and use Google?

Everything you need is right here, on good old TZ-UK.
    not sure what's that supposed to mean? Its not like I'm saying I love fake watches as some on here stipulate? Its a fact - was given a fake tag monaco couple of years ago, opened it up to see whats inside (its automatic, generic, non stamped movement I believe) and its been sitting in the drawer ever since.

Nevemind this has grown to a gigantic proportions from something that was a genuine question to group of people I thought are up for a discussion. I still think thats the case but some people just like to stir.

Never understood the fascination with fake watches. If you can't afford an expensive watch there are plenty of reasonable priced micro companies out there to choose from.

Craftsman
    You've caught me out - after setting up the Mac83 account on two fake forums, I the joined here at the same time so two years later I could draw attention to it in an elaborate plan. If that is the case we should get together because I see you like IWC and so does my Mac83 account, he has a fake one.
    Well my observation on your joining date is equally as absurd as your observation about my user name so we're level now.

I've half thought about the possible merits of having a handful of fakes in a watchbox at home so that if Scrotes got in to rob the place they might find them and not look too hard for the others......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Anyway, that was something of a ramble. I think it is quite possible to discuss fakes, any analyse viewpoints without condoning them whatsoever - people need not get their knickers in such a twist. Personally, I think it is an interesting topic because of the range of motives and psychology involved in buying/owning such a controversial item.
    Thanks, I'm genuinely surprised in the direction this has gone from quite a specific question I asked about owning a fake of the genuine watch you already own...

mac 83. Please put the spade down.

Banned
    not sure what's that supposed to mean?
    Mean? It doesn't mean anything. I was just showing the readers you've been open about your fake watch ownership in the past, right here, on TZ-UK.

Personally I don't have a fake watch in my drawer, in my cupboard, on my wrist, in fact anywhere and I wouldnt deal with anyone who did.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    mac 83. Please put the spade down.
    why would I though, I like this forum, I've been here long enough and have grown to appreciate collective wisdom of TZ members so I really don't think I should let someone insinuate I'm someone that I am not. simple.

why would I though, I like this forum, I've been here long enough and have grown to appreciate collective wisdom of TZ members so I really don't think I should let someone insinuate I'm someone that I am not. simple.
    If you have been on here a long time have you not noticed that this question has been asked many times before and it's never ended well.

Fine, but this hole is big enough now. Just let the thread die quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post

?????
    Any area you go in Edinburgh on a short break, probably mostly in the city centre, are perfectly safe. I wear mine all the time down in Leith and no one notices. As said, I wouldn't in westr hailes or sighthill but you kinda have to really intend to go to either of those places to end up in them. Way out from the city centre

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Never understood the fascination with fake watches. If you can't afford an expensive watch there are plenty of reasonable priced micro companies out there to choose from.
    +1

On a side note, or perhaps, as its discussing the thread topic, there's is a parallel/precedent for this.

It isnt unusual for guitarists with valuable/hard to replace guitars to have replicas made that they'll play on stage, and I'm not just talking about the superstars, I know plenty of pub gig guys who have had something from when it wasn't considered vintage that no longer want to gig it.

Mind you, those don't tend to have the brand names on them.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it's alright to buy fakes. I'm saying in other areas, certain circumstances allow a replica to be acceptable. In the all out fake stakes, the victim tends to be the bugger who buys a fake passed off as genuine.

Personally, I think it is a cracking idea; I don't see why it has to be just watches. I know if one day I can afford a Ferrari Dino there's no way I'll take it out on the road and risk some scrote trying to nick it or just key it. I'll leave it in the garage and go out in a Dino kitcar, probably based on a Vauxhall Astra running gear. And then there's my rather nice Turnbull and Asser shirts and Charvet ties, just asking to be ruined with hollandaise sauce, so when I go to the restaurant I leave them at home and put on a M&S shirt and Asda tie, nobody can tell the difference.

If you own flashy/expensive watch and are visiting an area where you'd feel uncomfortable wearing it, there is absolutely no logic in wearing an identical fake version. Wear an obviously cheap but decent watch, there are plenty to choose from and if you're a watch enthusiast you'll be happy to chop and change.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you own flashy/expensive watch and are visiting an area where you'd feel uncomfortable wearing it, there is absolutely no logic in wearing an identical fake version. Wear an obviously cheap but decent watch, there are plenty to choose from and if you're a watch enthusiast you'll be happy to chop and change.
    There speaks a man with some sense!

I am somewhat ambivalent over the issue.
    I have bought plenty of fakes In the past.99% were the ones I had the original of. I don't wear those anymore or buy fakes anymore.
    I have never tried to pass off a fake as original either on fora or in real life.
    Other than the issue of trying to pass of a fake as original,there is the bigger issue of who manufactures the fakes and what other businesses they might be involved in e.g drugs.
    I do have a problem with trying to pass off fakes as original . I am less judgemental if that's not the case.
    But, I know I won't buy any more fakes.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th January 2015 at 17:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I do have a problem with trying to pass off fakes as original . I am less judgemental if that's not the case.
    I think the definition of a fake is that you try to pass it off as original - I mean, unless you attach a sign to the watch declaring it is a fake while you wear it surely the assumption would be that it was real?

Or do you mean homages? I do like a nice cheap homage for a beater - I've got rid of my bagelsport sub now but it was pretty good for £30. Nowadays I'd prefer an SKX007 for that purpose though my finances are such that I'd still be a bit annoyed if I lost it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    I think the definition of a fake is that you try to pass it off as original - I mean, unless you attach a sign to the watch declaring it is a fake while you wear it surely the assumption would be that it was real?

t!
    I see what you mean.
    What I meant was if someone asked or talked about the watch.
    These days, I am actually the reverse. When someone I don't know really well asks me about the watch, I says its a fake even if it is real.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    If you are to afraid to wear the real one then don't buy it in the first place.
    My own thoughts exactly. I sold off my mint Milgauss because I was paranoid of getting a serious scratch (you don't have to be a bricklayer or whatever to do that... It's easy enough to do in an office environment, I know through bitter experience) and I replaced it with a lovely 1984 Submariner that I am happy to wear anywhere within reason. At the moment I am looking out for a pre-loved Datejust or Aqua Terra for the same reasons.

Rob

I'm genuinely surprised in the direction this has gone
    I'm not. There's no topic quite so guaranteed to descend into acrimonious and futile bickering, with the possible exception of cycle helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I'm not. There's no topic quite so guaranteed to descend into acrimonious and futile bickering, with the possible exception of cycle helmets.
    Plus a couple of others ;)

Seriously though, if I was worried I would just wear nothing or a Casio beater (or similar). No point in getting robbed for a look-likey.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never never would I buy a fake. I wear my Seiko Pepsi as a beater it does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Ask a fellow watch enthusiast about buying a fake and these are the reactions you could have foreseen. If you buy a fake, you're not a watch entusiast imho.
    edit wrong post
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 11th January 2015 at 22:50.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's an amazing coincidence - a quick google reveals that someone with the same user name is a member of a fake watch forum where he has discussed the fakes he bought.

OP - I think you should pop over there and tell the bounder off for besmirching your good name - because as you say you are not interested in fakes.
    here we go again, how long will this Rabbit hole be? just to get the ball rolling, has anyone purchased a watch from the OP in the last 6 months?

I bought a fake Tag 30 years ago. I'm not proud of it and dug it out of the drawer where it had lurked since the battery ran out - I was too embarrassed to take it to a jeweller (I know, I have since learned how to do that myself) - and have now consigned it to the workbench vice. It is now unrecognisable and will never risk being confused with a watch...