closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a fake version of the watch you own?

Craftsman

buying a fake version of the watch you own?

Yay or nay?

Buying a fake watch purely with the intention of wearing it where you'd be too afraid to wear the real one?
    I normally just wear skx009 where I know watch can be bumped or scratched but wonder what people think of such idea?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO its a ridiculous idea, and goes against the grain of anyone that has morals.

Master
    A fake is still a fake.

Franken watch might work though if need be.

What a stupid idea.

Blog Entries
    If you are to afraid to wear the real one then don't buy it in the first place.

What is so terrifying in your life that you can't wear your good watch?

If you need a beater, get a nice cheapie Russian, Casio or Seiko for working on the house, car, whatever.

'Snides' are just that.

Craftsman
    No!

A fake is a fake.

I would rather buy a cheaper watch to wear when I wasn't comfortable wearing my good watches.

Craftsman
    Seriously forum full of mind readers who jump into conclusions straight away... I did not say I am being one or want to but simply asked about your opinions but it seems even asking a question is good enough reason for the mob... Gosh will think twice next time I want to ask fellow watch enthusiasts about something as it seems some here just cannot have a reasonable discussion without attacking someone.

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    Seriously forum full of mind readers who jump into conclusions straight away... I did not say I am being one or want to but simply asked about your opinions but it seems even asking a question is good enough reason for the mob... Gosh will think twice next time I want to ask fellow watch enthusiasts about something as it seems some here just cannot have a reasonable discussion without attacking someone.
    What are you complaining about? You asked a question, you got an extremely emphatic answer. Did you want everyone to say 'great idea, why didn't i think of that?'. It's a bad idea in seemingly everyone's opinion. Job done, surely.

No-one has attacked you, the mob is imaginary. You asked a question of 'fellow watch enthusiasts' if you should buy a fake watch. They said no.

What's your problem OP?

You asked people's opinion on buying fakes, the unanimous answer was no and then you have a hiissy because people don't agree with you.

No one jumped to conclusions, no one attacked you and there was certainly no mob involved.

The general opinion is to buy a beater for dirty work if you want to keep your good watches safe. There's nothing wrong with that as an answer.

Craftsman
    Nay.
    Wear the original and enjoy it.

Craftsman
    I don't think we should support the purchase or sale of any direct fake watches, it devalues the brand IMHO.

Homage is fine although I don't like them to be too similar

Really Bad idea

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    I don't think we should support the purchase or sale of any direct fake watches, it devalues the brand IMHO.

I don't think a fake will harm the brand too much. I look at it as people who buy the fakes are unlikely to buy the real thing. However, many people will buy new over preowned out of fear of buying a fake.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Nay.
    Wear the original and enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    No!

A fake is a fake.

I would rather buy a cheaper watch to wear when I wasn't comfortable wearing my good watches.
    Thanks, that's in line what I was thinking as well but in my recent discussion at work some people were defending this idea as the best solution if you have original as well and want to keep it spotless. Just wanted to check it that's what others think as well.

Oh please, no mind-reading required, your question is pretty clear.

It's not a reasonable question - at least not one that would be asked by a 'watch enthusiast'.

This is why it never becomes a reasonable discussion.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I know this has been kicked to death now but I would always rather wear something real that is suitable for the activity (or no watch if more suitable) than something fake. Especially so as, by definition, it isn't an appropriate watch style for the task or you would be wearing the original.

zsayub, is that you?

TMS?

As you well know, there is a recent history on this forum of certain people using fakes to steal money from members here. How did you think this thread would go?

Master
    There's a bloke on here called Zayub that can help you out with this. Just check H&V for his details.

A real watch enthusiast would not consider or buy a fake.

Master
    My ex boss, owner of a very successful chain of jewellers shops, put it about that he alternated his real watches with fakes.

Whether he did or not I'm not so sure, but the theory is sound - who would risk a prison term when there is a chance they were nicking a £20 counterfeit?

Would I prefer being stabbed for fake Rolex or stabbed for a real one, hmm let me think, In the rare situations where I've been concerned about possible issues regarding the watch I wear I've gone without, or worn a beater (Seiko).
    Sorry OP but silly question IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    My ex boss, owner of a very successful chain of jewellers shops, put it about that he alternated his real watches with fakes.

Whether he did or not I'm not so sure, but the theory is sound - who would risk a prison term when there is a chance they were nicking a £20 counterfeit?
    For whom? Given most of us don't own watch shops, who would I put this information around to? or should I hang out in a dodgy pub and say "EXCUSE ME! this one is fake".

Seems an odd way to live - especially given an attack on the street is likely to be random.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Bizarre. Did he only put this word out to armed robbers while potential paying customers remained unaware?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Would I prefer being stabbed for fake Rolex or stabbed for a real one, hmm let me think, In the rare situations where I've been concerned about possible issues regarding the watch I wear I've gone without, or worn a beater (Seiko).
    Sorry OP but silly question IMHO

Would I prefer handing over a fake Rolex or a real one at knife point?

Master
    For whom? Given most of us don't own watch shops, who would I put this information around to? or should I hang out in a dodgy pub and say "EXCUSE ME! this one is fake".

Seems an odd way to live - especially given an attack on the street is likely to be random.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Bizarre. Did he only put this word out to armed robbers while potential paying customers remained unaware?
    Through the industry. It was a watch rep who I heard it from.
    I'm not sure just how many violent robberies for a wristwatch occur at random, seems to me they are usually targeted. Certainly the last two dozen insurance claims I've dealt with the victim suspected someone in their social circle, perhaps a very unlikely violent robbery at knifepoint in a back-street after someone spots your watch and decides to take it there and then sounds more exciting to some...
    Last edited by kevkojak; 11th January 2015 at 11:21.

At the age of 22 I bought a fake Rolex Daytona when I was in Singapore for training. I loved that watch and its what started my enjoyment of a nice mechanical watch. Soon after it inevitably feel apart I bought my first proper watch, a Tudor BB Chrono. I was hooked. I do wonder how many others found their way into this hobby through fakes....

Cheers

Banned
    Someone will be along shortly, pasting something along the lines of “no personal attacks”, but until he does...

A question by the OP which would only be raised by someone who holds an interest in replica watches.

As for Kev’s slant on the fake wearing watch fella - How many muggers are an inside job and would know this slime balls reputation?

None.

Unless in Bolton the smack heads carry a loupe and have a chat about authenticity before knifing the victim.

Bonkers thread, start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Unless in Bolton the smack heads carry a loupe and have a chat about authenticity before knifing the victim.
    They certainly do in Edinburgh anyway.

OP, where do you live? If you have the good fortune to live in Leith, Granton or Pilton then the junkies around your way won't be folded by a fake. Clermiston or Wester Hailes, well that's a different story, they aren't so up on their horology, you might get away with a fake.

Not a fake no. I did toy with the idea of getting a Sekonda homage to the a Navitimer as a beater, because I like the Navitimer design so much, but in the end I didn't bother.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master

OP, where do you live? If you have the good fortune to live in Leith, Granton or Pilton then the junkies around your way won't be folded by a fake. Clermiston or Wester Hailes, well that's a different story, they aren't so up on their horology, you might get away with a fake.
    The area I was brought up in Glasgow, if you wore a Rolex or Omega everyone knew it was a fake. Unless you were a tourist who was lost and was then you were fair game.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Plus their fitness levels are pretty low so you'd be able to outrun them therefore preserving the sanctify of your seiko en-wrist.

OP - fakes are for losers. If you don't want to wear your "good" watch for whatever reason, go and buy a g-shock or something for out and about.
    That said, edinburgh isn't particularly dodgy even on a bad day and the chance of your watch being viewed under multiple survival layers is slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Unless you were a tourist who was lost and was then you were fair game.
    You are Renton and I claim my 5 pounds.

For me there's no sense in buying an expensive and favourite watch and then not wearing it.
    I can imagine wearing it maybe on special occasions but definitely not replace it with a fake!

Banned
    OP, tell your ‘mates in the office’ to get some insurance.

In less safe areas wear a Casio F-91W you might even find people will purposely avoid you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Bonkers thread, start to finish.

We don't have smack-heads in Bolton, you must be on the rough side of our fair region.
    (Jesus, I wish it was true - it's like watching Trainspotting walking through town on a Monday morning).

tbh I don't know why I replied to the thread, I was just offering my own personal experience of the situation.
    I can't see it being true anyway myself, I suspect he put it out there just to raise a question mark - he bought a new 18ct Rolex every year through his shop and if I was spending that sort of cash I'd want to wear it, not a cheap copy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    If you are to afraid to wear the real one then don't buy it in the first place.
    Absolutely agree with this. If you are not going to wear it there is no point in buying it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Unless you were a tourist who was lost and was then you were fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You are Renton and I claim my 5 pounds Grams of horse.
    Fixed that for you

Op, buy whatever you want and wear whatever you feel comfortable. By bringing this subject up ,in light of recent events here, then YOU are fair game. This thread seems like a wind up TBH.

Craftsman
    just to clarify, I do have insurance for my own watches, I didn't want to and do not intend to buy a fake of an expensive watch and I do not hold an interest in fake watches. I was simply a question asked out of curiosity as I came across people who think its perfectly reasonable to rotate fake with real watch you own.

I'll ask for this thread to be deleted as I didn't think it would cause such a uproar and emotion in some and it wasn't my intention to start with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No. No point supporting the snide market.

just to clarify, I do have insurance for my own watches, I didn't want to and do not intend to buy a fake of an expensive watch and I do not hold an interest in fake watches. I was simply a question asked out of curiosity as I came across people who think its perfectly reasonable to rotate fake with real watch you own.

I'll ask for this thread to be deleted as I didn't think it would cause such a uproar and emotion in some and it wasn't my intention to start with.
    You'll have to PM the mods.

Blog Entries
    I bought a replica submariner on holiday in Egypt couple years ago:

This was after having my Sub NDc stolen in Barcelona off my wrist in the same year - I wanted to go back to Barcelona wearing the fake and have it stolen as retribution to the scums who stole my first Sub.

Anyway - that's all in the past, I was going through a dark personal patch end of 2013 and most of 2014 - Anyway my insurance payed out in full for the real sub that was stolen. And in a twist of fate the replica was stolen in the UK.

I don't understand what the issue is. You asked and got replies, what were you expecting?

In terms of the question, I'm also in the no camp I'm afraid. If you ask the same question on a replica site you'll certainly get a different response.

Master
    Ask a fellow watch enthusiast about buying a fake and these are the reactions you could have foreseen. If you buy a fake, you're not a watch entusiast imho.

Here's an amazing coincidence - a quick google reveals that someone with the same user name is a member of a fake watch forum where he has discussed the fakes he bought.

OP - I think you should pop over there and tell the bounder off for besmirching your good name - because as you say you are not interested in fakes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Here's an amazing coincidence - a quick google reveals that someone with the same user name is a member of a fake watch forum where he has discussed the fakes he bought.

OP - I think you should pop over there and tell the bounder off for besmirching your good name - because as you say you are not interested in fakes.

Nay, a thousand times nay. Apart from the million other reasons that you shouldn't entertain the idea a fake may look good when new it will soon look like the piece of junk it is if worn regularly.