closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else collect trainers?

Craftsman

Does anyone else collect trainers?

I seem to have started to do this, and Adidas in particular.

Currently I have:

1 White Adidas Vespas
    2 Black Adidas Babma
    3 Grey Suede Adidas Bamba
    4 Blue Adidas Porsche Design
    5 Brown Adidas ?
    6 Brown Adidas Chile 62
    7 White Adidas Cup 68
    8 White Adidas Beckenbauer
    9 White Adidas Adi Racer
    10 Brown Adidas Adi Racer
    11 White Adidas Kick
    12 White / Grey Adidas
    13 White Puma GV Specials
    14 White Nike Air Max
    15 Black Nike ?
    16 Blue RL Polo
    16 Tan Timberland
    17 Brown Rockport

I think that I should stop now before it gets out of hand

Master
    No, I don't - at least I don't think so. ;) I have maybe around 20 pairs, but they just seem to come and go. I throw away old ones, sell or give away the ones I don't use or like and somehow happen to purchase new ones. Maybe I do have a problem...

I'm not very particular about the brand, currently I have Adidas, Puma, Onitsuka ja NB trainers.

Banned
    I like ‘em...

I tend to keep them in piles, by manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I like ‘em...

I tend to keep them in piles, by manufacturer
    Careful, your skirting looks a bit scruffy...

Fancy plimsolls catching on like that...

I don't class myself as a collector but I probably have about 40 current pairs of which 90% are Adidas (originals never have the other types) . Of these 40 I wear most of them during the year as well.

I've also got several additional pairs in the loft.

I favour Gazelle or shell toes but when an Adidas sale is on I go a bit daft.

I also have a number of special editions namely Ian brown shell toes and Ian brown zx. I've taken a recent liking to New Balance as well. My love of trainers and Adidas stems from my younger days when they were actually 'original'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Careful, your skirting looks a bit scruffy...
    It’s the housekeepers annexe dear boy.

Blog Entries
    I have quite a few by default... One of my best mates worked for Adidas for quite a few years and I was 8.5 sample size... Meant i got a load of new trainers on a regular basis!!!

He now works G star and guess what... I have. A load of jeans and a couple of very nice coats too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    I seem to have started to do this, and Adidas in particular.

Currently I have:

1 White Adidas Vespas
    2 Black Adidas Babma
    3 Grey Suede Adidas Bamba
    4 Blue Adidas Porsche Design
    5 Brown Adidas ?
    6 Brown Adidas Chile 62
    7 White Adidas Cup 68
    8 White Adidas Beckenbauer
    9 White Adidas Adi Racer
    10 Brown Adidas Adi Racer
    11 White Adidas Kick
    12 White / Grey Adidas
    13 White Puma GV Specials
    14 White Nike Air Max
    15 Black Nike ?
    16 Blue RL Polo
    16 Tan Timberland
    17 Brown Rockport

I think that I should stop now before it gets out of hand
    I'm struggling with the "before" part of this.
    F.T.F.A.

A small selection

Yes, Adidas originals ;)

And I've just added another pair of zx mid Adidas from the same in Leeds.

Master
    Not a collector. I wear them and am not OCD about them. But I've probably amassed about 60 pairs. Mostly shell toes (anyone remember the NYC 5 boroughs special editions from 05/06?), AF1s and SB dunks. Stopped a few years ago. Now it's brogues, chelsea and chukka boots :(

I really like the look of a lot of Adidas Originals, and have owned three pairs in recent years, but each have been disappointingly poorly made. The "pleather" cracking and starting to look very grubby within a couple of weeks. I'd be much more interested if they made them a bit better and out of real leather, which would make them more wearable.

On a related note, I also really like the look of a lot of Y3 trainers (also made by Adidas), but they can be incredibly uncomfortable, defeating the purpose.

Craftsman
    I'm glad I'm not alone.

In fact, I've got some catching up to do from the looks of things

You all worry me !

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Not a collector. I wear them and am not OCD about them. But I've probably amassed about 60 pairs. Mostly shell toes (anyone remember the NYC 5 boroughs special editions from 05/06?), AF1s and SB dunks. Stopped a few years ago. Now it's brogues, chelsea and chukka boots :(
    I used to but everything that I try and buy now seems to sell out before I've even got the website to load! I've also started the transition to brogues etc, an even more slippery slope!

This is from 2yrs ago and I've bought at least double the amount since and also didn't include my loft ones

Grand Master
    I know Jay (Golfg60) is a big sneaker freak too but he hasnt been around for a while
    RIAC

Disappointed you have no vans....

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    I've got about fifteen pairs, mostly adidas ( I have a pair of Staten Island Superstars ), white sole Forest Hills from 2001 that are rather rare but are now slowly disintegrating :( ,SL80, Trimm Trab, Forest Hills 82, ZXZ NYL, Handball 5 Plug, Grand Slam, Vespa desert boots.
    Nike Air Force One from the late 90s, Air Pegasus 89, Wimbledon, recently bought a pair of limited edition Air Trainer SC II in olive/digi camo.
    All with boxes!!

Did have some Reebok Pump High Tops bought in Florida in 1993 which went for far too little on ebay a few years back....

So do you ever wear them - or are they purely collectibles?

Do they increase in value at all ?

cheers

matt

I used to collect trainers, eventually moved to mainly collect limited edition collaborations. Started off collecting Nike but then moved on to Adidas, particularly superstars. I sold pretty much everything before I got married though.

Used to collect vintage West German and European made Adidas. Kept the real gems and eBay got rid of most. I even designed some limited Puma trainers in the past. Just lost interest I guess. Still love old Adidas though, the Indoor Super is a thing of beauty

Does-anyone-else-collect-trainers

I'm not certain but i think the gay bloke across the street has had a few,

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm not certain but i think the gay bloke across the street has had a few,
    I found a hole in my trainer I could push my finger in.

Got me a slap across the face and lifetime ban from the gym!

Craftsman
    Got around 40 pairs of adidas, but I do where them.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    I found a hole in my trainer I could push my finger in.

Got me a slap across the face and lifetime ban from the gym!
    Was it Meghan?

Master
    Here I thought only women collect shoes....wait a minute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    This is from 2yrs ago and I've bought at least double the amount since and also didn't include my loft ones

Those top left's are badass, what are they pls?

Collector? Nope.

Sneaker Freak? Definitely.

I'm not sure how many pairs I've currently got but it's definitely more than 50. Probably less than 100 though! (They are spread between various lofts, attics and cupboards so it's tricky to get an accurate count).

Mainly Nikes, especially Prestos (all time favourite) and Footscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I used to collect trainers, eventually moved to mainly collect limited edition collaborations. Started off collecting Nike but then moved on to Adidas, particularly superstars.
    You should appreciate my most recent pair. Arguably the 'ultimate' Superstars (at least to my mind):

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Yes, definitely.

I recently had a clear out of some old Nike Footscapes that I hadn't worn for years. My missus wanted me to take them to the charity shop but I insisted on selling them on eBay.

They were all in pretty good condition (some hardly worn at all) and most were in their original boxes. I thought that I would be lucky to get £100 for the 4 pairs. Some kid ended up paying me over £300. And he was chuffed to bits! So was I.
    Last edited by Bravo73; 5th January 2015 at 02:19.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Those top left's are badass, what are they pls?
    They're just a pair of Shelltoes (superstars) I bought a good few years ago. I didn't wear them for a long time as I just liked the freshness of them. Haven't worn them a lot, only worn on holiday. This is them today, think they're about 5yrs old and still look pretty new.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yes, definitely.
    What about degradation of the rubber - are there any types to avoid?

Craftsman
    I do like my trainers, Adidas mainly. My grail is to find a pair of BNIB size 9 Adidas Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What about degradation of the rubber - are there any types to avoid?
    When I said 'Yes, definitely', there is obviously a caveat: they are like old cars, some go up in value more than others. A very worn pair of run of the mill Reeboks or British Knights (remember those?!??) are going to be worth next to nothing.

(PS No idea about rubber degradation, I'm afraid. I buy them to wear them, rather than to store them).

I tried to get in to trainer collecting, but I really couldn't keep them pristine. I was compelled to use them on gravel, sticky tarmac, mud and shingle. They were all ruined. It was just sole destroying.

Banned
    absolutely. Joanna was particularly memorable...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    I do like my trainers, Adidas mainly. My grail is to find a pair of BNIB size 9 Adidas Columbia.
    Adidas and Barbour have recently done a collaboration and released the Columbia in a burgundy colour

Collector? Nope.

I'm not sure how many pairs I've currently got but it's definitely more than 50. Probably less than 100 though! (They are spread between various lofts, attics and cupboards so it's tricky to get an accurate count).

You should appreciate my most recent pair. Arguably the 'ultimate' Superstars (at least to my mind):

I did like the look of those, I was tempted by a pair but they sold out very fast. I trawled through my old imageshack and found some old images of some of mine. I think I must have had hundreds of pairs throughout my collecting days though though not all at the same time. Looking back there are some pretty horrendous ones:

Master
    As a child of the 80s I enjoyed reading this thread :)

I disposed of my beloved (but shagged) Adidas trainers yesterday, it was quite a sickening feeling! Can someone help me identify them - they were Grand Slams but with Velcro straps not laces? Probably a 2000-something reissue. Can't find any pics anywhere and would love to get another pair.

Thanks

Ian

Master
    If the wife is looking, then no, I don't collect trainers ;)

However, I do have several pairs of New Balance, several pairs of Adidas and a few pairs of Nike. I like New Balance as I tried going down the route of British Made - So I only bought pairs of NB manufactured in the UK.

I quite like some of the Adidas limited editions DQM and Alife.

Collector? Nope.

Have to disagree. The best Superstars are issue 1 made in Yugoslavia or West Germany. They were made with the same process but they have a much nice interior finish and stitched tongue. Not that I used to be a trainer geek or anything ;)

Grand Master
    I`m old enough to remember the original Adidas Gazelles, which were far better quality than those sold today. The originals had a fairly soft sole, and plenty of runners trained in them prior to the widespread introduction of more suitable road-running shoes such as the original Adidas SL 72. In those days Adidas made high quality sportshoes which were bought for their intended purpose.

I actually tried to buy some blue Adidas Gazelles for leisure wear, only to find that half-sizes weren't available!

Best of the 'originals' is the black Adidas Samba, which I wear for knocking around. They're pretty-much identical to the original 70s version although the uppers aren`t such good quality. Still a worthy indoor football shoe IMO, although my playing days are behind me. The blue suede ones are OK too.

Not sure I quite 'get' the collector thing with shoes, but I have to confess to collecting Fred Perry polo shirts and I guess that's just as bizarre.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I did like the look of those, I was tempted by a pair but they sold out very fast. I trawled through my old imageshack and found some old images of some of mine. I think I must have had hundreds of pairs throughout my collecting days though though not all at the same time. Looking back there are some pretty horrendous ones:

That looks like a pretty serious collection, a big pile of bapestas, supreme dunk highs, true blue III's and some mastermind and neighborhood collabs, would love to see some larger pics!

Not much of a collector these days and sold most of my jordans and dunks, been buying a few Vans recently, got the Darth Vader half cabs and the vans x diemme 2015 Sk8 hi's in horween leather, which are pretty special. Also eagerly awaiting my copy of the jordan encyclopedia https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ordan-sneakers
    Last edited by rasputin10; 6th January 2015 at 19:26.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No but I've accidentally ended up amassing about 25-30 pairs of converse and Adidas supers/gazelle/chiles.

No, but like others have seemed to end up with around 15 pairs, all Adidas originals, Gazelles, Spezial's, Trim-Trabs, Keglers, ZX700's to name a few

Dear me, this thread reads like something from Mumsnet on Michael Kors and other fashion watches tat.. Viva la Saucony, Viva la NB, Viva la Asics!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I really like the look of a lot of Adidas Originals, and have owned three pairs in recent years, but each have been disappointingly poorly made. The "pleather" cracking and starting to look very grubby within a couple of weeks. I'd be much more interested if they made them a bit better and out of real leather, which would make them more wearable.
    These Superstars are made out of 'boot' leather: http://www.adidas.co.uk/superstar-80...25963_530.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Adidas and Barbour have recently done a collaboration and released the Columbia in a burgundy colour
    Thanks for the heads up I like them, but finding them at RRP and not flea bay prices is proving difficult😩