closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Day dreaming really but Grand Lange 1 or GO Panoreserve?

Day dreaming really but Grand Lange 1 or GO Panoreserve?

I'd really love one of these.

The GO Panoreserve can be had for £5k to £6k in steel

or £11k to £12k in Rose Gold, which looks seriously beautiful to my eye.

But then there is the Grand Lange 1, which is around £22k in White or Yellow Gold

So which would you go for?

I actually think I'd have the RG Panoreserve - I think the date display is nicer & I've never really been a fan of Roman numerals
    Last edited by andy tims; 23rd December 2014 at 17:55.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    If money was not an issue then the Lange. Not a fan of gold watches but the GO does look nice. But my wallet rules my head so it's the it's the SS GO, as I put my GO Panomatic on for tonight's outing

I'd absolutely love a Lange... but not this model. Aesthetically I prefer with the power reserve indicator on the Lange 1 over the GO which I feel works better arcing around the radius. Otherwise the GO wins for me. The GO has the better alignment on the date discs, neater lugs and strap.
    FWIW if I could spend £22k on a Lange, I'd find £6k more and get a datograph :)

Lange 1, obviously. Get the original, not the imitation — assuming cost isn't an issue. ;)

Master
    I appreciate that gold isn't exactly cheap, but that's one hell of a premium on the gold GO given that everything else is the same no?

Just that would tick me off TBH.

I find the implementation of the date complication a bit messy on the Lange with the spacer. A colleague of mine just purchased the lange 1 you pictured and I'm looking forward to comparing it to my GO lunar XL when I next see him.

Personally I would go for the GO, fantastic watches and I believe the gold models have better finishing on the movement compared to the steel model.

Personally I dont like the hands on that GO I prefer the other version (Silver dial)

You can always really slum it and buy a Union Glashutte 1893

I prefer the Lange 1 because I feel that the layout of each function makes better use of the dial; it's more pleasing to the eye.

And the movement finishing on the Lange is better.

Master
    You can get a preowned Lange 1 for 12-13K, which is a relatively good price for a whole lotta watch.

For me, it'd be the Lange 1 Lunar. Gorgeous.

I tried the gold PanoReserve (and gold PanoLunar) when I was looking for my Counter XL ... the gold GO models are extremely nice (and seriously heavyweight) and IMHO much better looking than the Lange models, particularly the way the large date has been implemented

For my money Id be getting the gold GO ... but why not head to Wempe and try them both on side by side.

Master
    Lange 1 Daymatic. At least then the dial layout makes sense under the cuff.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For me no contest. Yes the Lange has a slightly higher level of finish. But it doesn't not have movement architecture in the same class as the GO (in fact turn it over and it is fugly)and that dreadful date just kills it. The GO wins by several miles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^ however the GO seconds dial ruins the actual "watch face" part, not just nibbling but gorging into the 5, 6 and 7 hour markers.

Frankly neither. The GO watch dial is awful and the Lange date display has the silly vertical line.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    ^^^^ however the GO seconds dial ruins the actual "watch face" part, not just nibbling but gorging into the 5, 6 and 7 hour markers.

Frankly neither. The GO watch dial is awful and the Lange date display has the silly vertical line.
    Fairly easy to guess where the 5,6 and 7 would be though

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

On the wrist I've never been bothered by the lack of 5,6 and 7 markers....

Master
    I'd be happy with either but the Lange just looks smoother somehow. The only answer is to get them both on the wrist and see what they feel like. That's always the decider for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK, call me a heathen and accepting the pedigree of both makers, this sort of dial display, a larger space with small dial placed within it just jars my vision and my brain instantly dislikes it. There seems little or no point to this kind of hard to read watch design when it could be something better looking.

When its easier at a glance to read the date over the time, something has surely gone awry somewhere?

As much as I like Lange's, if the choice is between the ones shown, the gold GO wins for me.

For whatever reason, that Lange doesn't do it for me.

Malc

A few have commented on the bar in the Lange date window. What may not be immediately obvious is the date is made up of two elements, a units disc and a ten cross that revolve one above the other. The irregular switching sequence means each display is controlled separately. The bar helps mask the interface.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    A few have commented on the bar in the Lange date window. What may not be immediately obvious is the date is made up of two elements, a units disc and a ten cross that revolve one above the other. The irregular switching sequence means each display is controlled separately. The bar helps mask the interface.
    True. It is a very old JLC Grand Date system, which should have been replaced a long time ago. But hey, they polish the edges of the movement plates really well.

For me, design originality and integrity count more than specifications. The Lange 1 is the originator, and the GO — while certainly nice — is simply not in the same league.

Besides, the Lange is by far the more desirable watch — would anyone seriously opt for the GO if the proverbial genie made an appearance?

Master
    The Lange 1, by the proverbial country mile. Much prefer the originality of the dial layout, date format(!) and finish quality.

Don't get me wrong, GO's are good, but not, IMO, quite in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    For me, design originality and integrity count more than specifications. The Lange 1 is the originator, and the GO — while certainly nice — is simply not in the same league.

Besides, the Lange is by far the more desirable watch — would anyone seriously opt for the GO if the proverbial genie made an appearance?
    Well yes, if I was offered either of these as a freebie Id still take the GO as it is the better looking watch (in my opinion ... and that of course is subjective based on personal taste). Lange might have the history and dare I say greater prestige, but compared to the GO its just not as nice to look at regardless of the name on the dial.

Hi everyone and Happy Holidays to you all. Love this forum and I have been lurking here for a while. I came over from another Forum where many members here attend and double post regularly. I find the style of writing and language here is so different and for that I thank you all.

Now back to the topic..

I was in Hamburg this past September. I was blown away how each and every ALS and GO model could be had at absolutely every fine Jewler. None of the 6-12 month waiting nonsense we have here in Montreal. I tried on the ALS and the GO and I ended leaving with the GO Panolunar.

The ALS 10000% is "finer".. You can see it, feel it. It's thinner and feels dare I say "classier".

But the second I held the GO and tried it on.. Instant love.. A bit thicker feeling and to me.. It just didn't feel as "fragile" as the ALS. I wear my GO everywhere.. Shorts, jeans.. Easily a daily wearer. Dropping 35k on an ALS, I doubt I would enjoy it as much as the GO.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Thanks for a great forum and all the best to you all.

Rgds, Shawn