closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Obris Morgan Explorer II

Journeyman

Obris Morgan Explorer II

Well, this little Asian microbrand must be considered as one of the best value-for-money producers out there. They've listened to the critique of their Explorer and released a version 2 that's addressed the issues admirably. How they manage to produce these specs for £185 is quite impressive.

I really love these "boutique" brands, I picked up a Maranez Racha earlier this year and it's very high quality and gets plenty of wrist-time. I read a few reviews of the first Obris Explorer, and I'm completely sold on the update. I went for the blue bezel/black dial combo for that Black Bay look.

http://www.obrismorgan.com/explorerii.html

Specs:

Typical 200 meters water resistant Tool Diver

- 28,800 BPH High Frequence Movement (Miyota Cal. 9015)

- 120 clicks Unidirectional Bezel

- Automatic Helium Escape Velve

- Thick Printed Superluminova Lumed Indices

- Horizontal Brush Dial

- 3.4mm Double Domed Sapphire

- Anti-reflective Coated Sapphire

- Super Enginner 4.6mm thickness 5 links Bracelet

- Superluminova C1 Lumed Blasted Handsets

- Stainless Steel Movement Holder

- Triple Seal Screw-in Crown

- 42mm diameter excluded Crown

- 12mm thickness included caseback

Master
    I would actually really like to try one of these, they do look cracking value if there is a bit of quality there. I especially like the bracelet, like the IWC ones, might be disappointed having felt their bracelets though I guess.

There's something strange going on with the last two bezel markings, but overall it's very impressive for the money.

Just looked through that site and I must say I'm very impressed with what you get for what they are asking price wise, very reasonable, I really like the look of the Aegis which is out mid Feb so will pop back then to see the finished article before pulling the trigger, thanks girl the info

I've liked the look of the ones that have come up on SC, and those upgrades look good as well.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by mac's TT View Post
    Just looked through that site and I must say I'm very impressed with what you get for what they are asking price wise, very reasonable, I really like the look of the Aegis which is out mid Feb so will pop back then to see the finished article before pulling the trigger, thanks girl the info
    +1

Looks a lot of watch for the money.

The profile shot on the Aegis looks a bit like the Dreadnought.

I've just pre-ordered one of the Explorer II models as well, I think it looks like a cracker for the money!
    I also fancy the Aegis too!

Journeyman
    Have to agree the upgrades have made it a better watch. Here's hoping I get a wee bit cash from santa !

Craftsman
    Echo comments made already regarding value. All previous models are discontinued, not sure of how many were produced of each, but only read good reports of Obris Morgan. Very tempting!

I'm not afraid to try this sort of stuff-looks pretty good to me!
    The website is refreshingly not "up itelf " too.....tempting at the money
    Last edited by GOAT; 23rd December 2014 at 21:48.

I have the first generation and it was cheap and
    ut feels cheap.
    One of the rare purchases I have regretted.
    This one looks a much better effort.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have the first generation and it was cheap and
    ut feels cheap.
    One of the rare purchases I have regretted.
    This one looks a much better effort.
    Oh man, I hope the 2nd incarnation is better then, I've ordered one!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrennie44 View Post
    Oh man, I hope the 2nd incarnation is better then, I've ordered one!
    I think the dial and bezel and lume application look much better on the newer one.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think the dial and bezel and lume application look much better on the newer one.
    Well, time will tell I guess! Hopefully they have sorted out the shortcomings of the 1st model!

Would be really interested to hear people's views once one of the new models has landed with them. Could make a good alternate beater :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Would be really interested to hear people's views once one of the new models has landed with them. Could make a good alternate beater :)
    I'd be happy to post some pics and my impressions when it arrives.

Although, that may be sometime in Feb though!

Craftsman
    I thought the same. Would make a good daily, guess ill have to wait until Feb to see now.

Also see if i get away with the import tax

I'd be happy to post some pics and my impressions when it arrives.

Although, that may be sometime in Feb though!
    Good work. I would appreciate that

Master
    Ordered one yesterday, very excited!

I wouldn't order one if it was free based on the Pradata I have. Horrible quality and inadequate function in the crown and bezel. C1 lume is pathetic.
    The DLC version I have is the worst I have ever seen and it seems like it was put on with a marker pen. After a few weeks, the clasp pops, the screw links for the bracelet attaching to the lug links need superglue to stop weekly backing out.
    But, hey, they look cool. Spec's look cool.
    Plain old POS.
    But it's a cheap Chinese watch so you get what you pay for.
    If you do, hope you enjoy your watch. For $280, you get $140 worth of watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sijoc View Post
    I wouldn't order one if it was free based on the Pradata I have. Horrible quality and inadequate function in the crown and bezel. C1 lume is pathetic.
    The DLC version I have is the worst I have ever seen and it seems like it was put on with a marker pen. After a few weeks, the clasp pops, the screw links for the bracelet attaching to the lug links need superglue to stop weekly backing out.
    Plain old POS.
    A watch with Miyota 9015 and Sapphire glass for £90? Mmkay.

This company seem to have improved greatly with every new model they produce. By all means you can write them off due to imperfections in a early release of a cheap watch, but reviews of their last watch, the first Explorer, were largely excellent.

http://wornandwound.com/2013/12/26/o...plorer-review/
    http://www.watchitallabout.com/obris...-watch-review/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omr2Ptb8jJU

Thanks for those reviews Mooty, I'm still looking forward to receiving my Explorer II.

OM do strike me as a young company that is interested in improving and refining design and execution, so hopefully they have come a long way since Sijoc's experience.

Like I said, we'll have to wait and see!

Master
    I had the explorer v1 and I was very impressed with the quality for the price. You have to remember it's a $2xx watch.
    I sold it on as I couldn't see myself getting much wear out of it, but I'm interested to see the new version.

Master
    Bit the bullet and paid for the Blue Dial w/ Orange text & Blue bezel with brushed finish. Wasn't going to be spending anything on watches until at least January pay but I guess this should be here in time for Feb for my birthday.

Journeyman
    I've pre - ordered the blasted blue with blue yellow writing. We'll see...

I'm very interested in this watch. My vostok amphibia just arrived and I have an orange monster too so there is a slight chance I love divers!
    I've never seen an obris in real life so mostly looking for reassurance that they are decent. Also is there a need to pre order or will they still be available come Feb, do they do very limited runs?
    If I was going to get one, it would be the blasted finish, blue bezel and black dial as I think it looks DELISH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sijoc View Post
    Plain old POS.
    I had a pradata in blue dial for a short period and I thought it was quite nice for the cash. Great bracelet, lume was c3 on mine so good and bezel was not so bad. Lined up perfectly. Don't know if you had a bad example, but the dlc finish was definately a let down on these Reading some reviews so can't argue there.

Looks like a lot of watch for the money.
    It takes after my Crepas Cayman 3000 a bit. Also a homage to the 60's & 70's divers.
    I just wonder what a helium valve would do in a watch with a 200m WR rating??

Craftsman
    I think I'd really like one of these. Is it the case that we will have to order them before release or will it be possible to order one when they're already out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    A watch with Miyota 9015 and Sapphire glass for £90? Mmkay.

This company seem to have improved greatly with every new model they produce. By all means you can write them off due to imperfections in a early release of a cheap watch, but reviews of their last watch, the first Explorer, were largely excellent.

http://wornandwound.com/2013/12/26/o...plorer-review/
    http://www.watchitallabout.com/obris...-watch-review/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omr2Ptb8jJU
    I must have read the wrong review - the W&W review certainly didn't give "...excellent..." ratings to the lume, referring to the watch as "...noticeably imperfect..." in the opening paragraph, the lug screw pins that fall out, the upside-down bezel numbers blah, blah.

It's still a toy, poor quality made watch that was actually produced before the crap one I have and the quality may have gone down.
    Time will tell how this new variation will work. Hope it does.

Journeyman
    Well that's why I said that reviews were "largely excellent". And even in the less glowing ones (like that one, which I included for balance) there are plenty of positive comments.

Calling it a toy, poor quality watch is contrary to almost everything I've read and heard about them. I understand you've had a bad experience with the brand, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

If you can find similar components on a sub-£200 watch, then please share it with us, I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.

Craftsman
    I was going to wait until the middle of this month when timefactors opens and buy the PRS18Q but I just really like the look of this Obris Morgan. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Master
    I would get the 18Q it really is a great watch for the money!!

Journeyman
    Just bought an Explorer II after seeing this thread. It looks a great watch for the price, but that's judged solely on pics. I especially like that there are slim odds of me bumping into anyone else with one! Bet I won't be able to say that when I get a SubC later this year ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    Well that's why I said that reviews were "largely excellent". And even in the less glowing ones (like that one, which I included for balance) there are plenty of positive comments.

Calling it a toy, poor quality watch is contrary to almost everything I've read and heard about them. I understand you've had a bad experience with the brand, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

If you can find similar components on a sub-£200 watch, then please share it with us, I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.
    Invicta. Deep Blue.
    How about those two crap deep discount brands?
    A Kia and a BMW might look the same, have fancy bits inside and nice leather, but we all know the difference in quality.

Master
    Got confirmation they will start to ship them 26th/27th so will be here in time for my 35th bday. Which is nice seeing as it's a wee gift to myself.

Craftsman
    The Explorer II is back up for pre order, they've made a couple of tweaks and added a new text colour. I was tempted before but they were sold out, so this time round I've gone for it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd be tempted but it looks like it wears pretty big. Probably too much so for my sub-7 wrist.

I've just pre-ordered one of the Explorer II models as well, I think it looks like a cracker for the money!
    I also fancy the Aegis too!
    I'm confused. How can you "fancy the Aegis" when there isn't a single photo of it on their website where you can actually see the whole watch?! I think they may have taken the arty photography a little too far...

Simon

Master
    Great watches I love wearing mine, it is a substantial piece of kit you certainly know you are wearing it, especially with the bracelet. No problems with mine in 6 months and still looks brand new, a great purchase from my perspective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm confused. How can you "fancy the Aegis" when there isn't a single photo of it on their website where you can actually see the whole watch?! I think they may have taken the arty photography a little too far...

Simon
    Some of the thumbnails do expand into less cropped versions .. but even then they aren't particularly revealing I must agree.

Craftsman
    I ordered an Explorer II today. Looking forward to receiving it. Perfect holiday beater for me i'd say. Not bad for £185 odd including delivery. I'll put up a short review when I get it.

These look great. Please can someone put a short review and pictures up once delivered!

The black dial with blue font would be my pick. Look fantastic VFM, so they come with a spare rubber strap too?
    Jon

Craftsman
    I was lucky enough to get one of the first batch and its never missed a beat.
    Stuck it on a nato and it gains about a minute a week so i cant complain at all for the price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    These look great. Please can someone put a short review and pictures up once delivered!

The black dial with blue font would be my pick. Look fantastic VFM, so they come with a spare rubber strap too?
    Jon
    I've ordered that exact combo so I'll do exactly that when mine arrives (probably early Sept), you get the rubber strap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    I've ordered that exact combo so I'll do exactly that when mine arrives (probably early Sept), you get the rubber strap too.
    Great choice! Can't wait to see it. Extremely tempting..