closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lightweight Folding Bike for London commuting - any recommendations?

Red face Lightweight Folding Bike for London commuting - any recommendations?

Hi, I'm looking for a lightweight folding bike that I can easily lug on/off Tube trains in the London rush-hour. Will then be used to get to/from the office from the Station.

Can anyone recommend something that is really well-made, lightweight and very compact when folded?

Many thanks!

You cant go wrong with a Brompton IMO - must be the quickest and easiest fold there is

Not the lightest though - but they ride well and keep their value

We love ours

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Budget ?

I've been thinking similar thoughts - I really like the look of the Strida models.

http://www.strida.co.uk/english/tech...bpage=features

Red face Didn't really have a specific budget in mind, but no more than about £500 I think...

...as I'd only ever use it for commuting and not for weekend leisure activities.

Therefore a Brompton would be out of my price range anyway. :(
    Last edited by The Hack; 22nd December 2014 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...as I'd only ever use it for commuting and not for weekend leaisure activities.

Therefore a Brompton would be out of my price range anyway. :(
    I had a 7spd Dahon for a while - 20" wheels and very light due to the mainly alloy construction. Not the neatest or quickest of folds but only a fraction of the price of a Brompton. It rode well too.

Master
    I have a Dahon too again not easiest / smallest folder but good enough

The Brompton is probably the best solution to your requirements and also probably the most expensive. I have one and I'm not so sure I'd want to lug one on and off the tube, though, unless you're only going out of rush hour or only between stations at the end of the line. Overland train yes but you don't see many on the Underground - I think most people use them to avoid taking the tube once their mainline commuter train has dumped them at one of the London termini. Considering that the Brompton is probably the most compact fold and would still be quite a bind going up escalators etc then one of the other makes would be even more so. Have you thought about a couple of beaters at each end of the commute and just leave them locked up?

If you're going to entertain a Strida I'd suggest a test-ride first - they are not for everyone.

Banned
    if its just going on and off tubes then presumably the distance is not that great - why not just ride the whole journey?

Journeyman
    Brompton is the only solution.

I have three and have commuted across several cities and they are unrivalled despite the initial costs.