closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I tried but I can't find it!.

Grand Master

I tried but I can't find it!.

A week or so ago an Omega on a beads of rice bracelet on sc.

Got as far as page 10 but could not find it,anyone know who was selling the watch and did it sell?.

cheers

Paul

Grand Master
    Thanks guys,it was that one but now sold.

Cheers

Paul

Seemed like an aptly titled thread to tag onto ....

Likewise, I've tried.

I'm pretty sure someone wrote a thread on TZ_UK, about how they fettled / tightened up a worn Omega bracelet.

Link please anybody ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Likewise, I've tried.

I'm pretty sure someone wrote a thread on TZ_UK, about how they fettled / tightened up a worn Omega bracelet.

Link please anybody ?
    This one?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-faint-hearted

That was the one !

Thanks !

Grand Master
    Old Omega rice-bead bracelets can be a real headache.

The removable links (in theory) are very easy to remove, being held in by a double ended springbar. In practice, they're usually rusted in solid. Not sure whether replacement springbars can be found easily, but often they disintegrate when disturbed.

Biggest problem is the fixed links. The pins are a pressed fit with a knurled end. Over the years, corrosion sets in and the rust produced exerts pressure in the hole. This causes the outer parts of the links to crack. This is the area to inspect very carefully; minor cracks may be OK, but often they run right across the outer part of the link, and the metal cleaves into two halves if pressure is applied. The result is a scrap bracelet, and that's an expensive mistake.

How do I know all this? Like all the best lessons, I learned the hard way. I bought a second-hand bracelet off ebay 10 yrs ago and it was only fit for scrap when I cleaning it up.

I`m not a fan of Omega's new replacements, and I`m definitely not a fan of the prices, but that's what I opted for recently when I acquired a nice early 60s Constellation for my own collection. I couldn`t be bothered fannying around trying to buy an original, paying a strong price and having to restore the thing, so I bought a modern replacement from Watchco. sometimes it's better to just put your hand in your pocket and soak up the cost.......that's my collector's head talking.

At the risk of upsetting the purists, there are some good quality replicas/fakes around for reasonable money, and that may be a better bet than an original that's knackered. These can usually be identified by the clasp, which has the markings '1286/249'.

Paul