closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex LV

Master

Rolex LV

Hi so I'm think about getting ones of these 50th aniversary beauties does any body have any advice on which serial is best to look out for and a price prediction I should be looking around

Master

No expert!

In no expert re serial numbers etc but for a good clean example I would allow around £5k but you can get them lower and higher it just seems to average out at £5k now!! Ive been looking for 2 years plus and never have the money at the right time for the right watch!!!!😔
    Good choice!!
    Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    I believe the 2003 F serial with the flat 4 bezel is the collectors darling.

There are quite a few variations so do your homework!

Here is my old one;

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I believe the 2003 F serial with the flat 4 bezel is the collectors darling.

There are quite a few variations so do your homework!

Here is my old one;

Make that a 2003 "Y" serial

Master
    Thanks for the advice guys, and really good link posted below

Journeyman
    Sorry guys...what does LV stand for?

Lunette Verte, French for green bezel.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Lunette Verte, French for green bezel.
    Thanks Rgee

Grand Master
    On a watch forum there will be much fussing over flat 4's and wide 'O's etc but in the trade we don't care, they are all a 50th anniversary sub
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Here's one of mine

Blog Entries
    Flat 4 of course

Y Serial only, if you are collecting ;)

But they are all lovely. I only wear mine with a black bezel anyway.
    It's just a matter of time...

Rolex LV

I was hunting for one earlier on, but even the non Y serials cost around 6500 USD now...

6500 sounds cheap to me

Craftsman
    I like the engraved one as there are less of those and ofcourse it's newer.

So that's what I bought.

Just buy which one you like and imo it's hard to find a minter with not a scratch on he bezel and a as new bracelet.

I looked at 30+ around London , non were mint on the bezel front.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    On a watch forum there will be much fussing over flat 4's and wide 'O's etc but in the trade we don't care, they are all a 50th anniversary sub
    That will be the case if you are trading in but quite the opposite when buying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do rolex still make lvs?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Do rolex still make lvs?
    Only in the new 116610 ceramic guise, it's a very different watch, still lovely just much more green.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There was an LV in Goldsmiths window in the Bullring £5700 don't know model no etc but you could give them a ring see if they still have it

I've been eyeing the 16610LV all year. Prices are all over the map. But since I don't care about if it's a flat 4 or not I hope to find one that's reasonable priced.
    Yeah, I know I'm naive and delusional :-)

Quote Originally Posted by henrik View Post
    I've been eyeing the 16610LV all year. Prices are all over the map. But since I don't care about if it's a flat 4 or not I hope to find one that's reasonable priced.
    Yeah, I know I'm naive and delusional :-)
    They do turn up. One went for 3,500GBP ish on SC earlier this year IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    They do turn up. One went for 3,500GBP ish on SC earlier this year IIRC.
    Not a full set though, and hardly indicative of the usual prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Not a full set though, and hardly indicative of the usual prices.
    No B or P as I recall but it did look like a clean thing and it was sold by a long standing member here. Point is, decent priced watches such as this do come along on SC if you are prepared to wait. It's about being around at the right time with the cash to jump on it.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 22nd December 2014 at 14:37. Reason: grama!

I personal would want to buy without everything. The main reason being that's it very easy to modify a normal 116610 to look like an LV and bump the price up.
    I have a 'v' series complete set and love it. although it's not had much wrist of later.

If they'd made a non-date LV it really would have been the perfect watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    No B or P as I recall but it did look like a clean thing and it was sold by a long standing member here. Point is, decent priced watches such as this do come along on SC if you are prepared to wait. It's about being around at the right time with the cash to jump on it.
    That was probably mine. Your right, no box and papers. I would have thought with box and papers, you'd be looking north of 4.5K but I'll be honest, they've dropped of my radar since I sold mine.

I reckon that when the bezel's really start to fade, they are going to look amazing.

Here was the old girl...

I've had maybe 5 lv's including the coveted "y" serial. They're not as rare as dealers make them out to be. Seems to be a huge price difference in the uk compared to Europe and the rest of the world. Over on TRF there's normally always a "y" serial floating around for sale in America. Let's not forget the LV had a production run of over 8 years or so. Personally I prefer the engraved rehaut models over the non rehaut models. True collectors don't go mad for these only what I would call "new collectors" who are hoping they have got something that'll go crazy in years to come. I reckon I would have had to wait 10 years before I saw a significant return on my "y"series. As it happens I sold it at a very good price to what I paid for it and that was about two years ago. Not sure I'd get much more for it today so I'm happy. Currently have one LV albeit a 116610lv. (Bracelet was what swayed me on going for a newer model over keeping the older version)

Couple of mine

Last edited by Yeti; 22nd December 2014 at 22:59.

I've had more LV's than any other watch. The Y serial is the only one I've sold that I really do miss though. I've still got two or three somewhere, and will always have one - it's the best Submariner ever made IMHO. I'd love one fitted on NATO and one on the new style bracelet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I personal would want to buy without everything. The main reason being that's it very easy to modify a normal 116610 to look like an LV and bump the price up.
    I have a 'v' series complete set and love it. although it's not had much wrist of later.
    With respect, you are wrong. It is not easy to get hold of a genuine green bezel, Rolex insist you hand in the old one. The new one is around £300. That doesn't factor in the maxi dial and hands. There were a could of sets on SC a few years back, they were £800 each IIRC. So hardly a simple or particularly profitable enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    That was probably mine.
    I certainly remember your sales post as i missed it just by a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    With respect, you are wrong. It is not easy to get hold of a genuine green bezel, Rolex insist you hand in the old one. The new one is around £300. That doesn't factor in the maxi dial and hands. There were a could of sets on SC a few years back, they were £800 each IIRC. So hardly a simple or particularly profitable enterprise.
    Who talking about using genuine bits? I've seen photos on other watch forums of genuine watches with non genuine parts added to them. This has been discussed before. It's one watch that I personally would insist on having all the paperwork present.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I'm sure it has happened or happens on Y series Subs as its only the green Tag on a UK watch that gives it away it's an LV.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    I'm sure it has happened or happens on Y series Subs as its only the green Tag on a UK watch that gives it away it's an LV.
    But where would you get a green flat 4 insert? Or the wide O dial (or whatever the dial quirk is)?

Blog Entries
    The inserts come up for sale from time to time.
    I'm not sure about the dials

Yup for about £400! (Inserts that is)

The inserts come up for sale from time to time.
    I'm not sure about the dials

I sold mine after 7 years daily wear for a decent profit, never believed they were all that rare and tbh never really got on with the green bezel. Not a particularly easy 'daily wear' go with anything watch like the regular black bezel version, and they kind of killed any rarity by making it for so long. I understand why they are popular but they were released just when everyone jumped on the collectable bandwagon so I doubt they will ever be properly 'rare'. I'd imagine most are all box and papers for that reason, it's not just the bezel there's the maxi dial too so not as easy as sticking a green bezel in any 16610.

100% correct. On early models the paperwork does not state LV which leaves normal subs rife for making a franken watch. I'm not saying this happens or happens frequently as I've never seen it but rest assured if you were buying a "y" serial for yourself I would strongly strongly advise you to make sure it includes the original hang tag with the serial number of the watch AND the model prefix LV. This is of course a "true" collectors set anyhow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    100% correct. On early models the paperwork does not state LV which leaves normal subs rife for making a franken watch. I'm not saying this happens or happens frequently as I've never seen it but rest assured if you were buying a "y" serial for yourself I would strongly strongly advise you to make sure it includes the original hang tag with the serial number of the watch AND the model prefix LV. This is of course a "true" collectors set anyhow.
    It took me around 2 years to find a good totally unpolished one with all the bits and it had just been serviced, just need to find the press pack anyone !!

Blog Entries
    It also has the lime green insert

It took me around 2 years to find a good totally unpolished one with all the bits and it had just been serviced, just need to find the press pack anyone !!

Where did you buy yours from and if I may ask what was the country of origin the watch originated from? There seems to be more "y"s in America and the Far East...

Blog Entries
    Where did you buy yours from and if I may ask what was the country of origin the watch originated from? There seems to be more "y"s in America and the Far East...
    I tried in the UK for too long to try and find one, I was offered a few from the far east (but wasn't bothered for HK watches). So I went the USA route and eventually found one that was complete, serviced and authenticated.

Don't get me wrong I'd have much preferred a UK or EU watch and would jump again at the chance for the right one. I'm sure I saw a USA one for sale around a month ago for over 8k GBP on TRF.

I tried in the UK for too long to try and find one, I was offered a few from the far east (but wasn't bothered for HK watches). So I went the USA route and eventually found one that was complete, serviced and authenticated.

Don't get me wrong I'd have much preferred a UK or EU watch and would jump again at the chance for the right one. I'm sure I saw a USA one for sale around a month ago for over 8k GBP on TRF.
    Wow £8k seems a bit steep. Mine was originally from Hong Kong. I have never seen a uk "y".

Blog Entries
    Wow £8k seems a bit steep. Mine was originally from Hong Kong. I have never seen a uk "y".
    There defiantly elusive the Y series UK LV. But i'm sure there out there in someone's cupboard or safes. Just waiting for a new buyer.

Why did you sell yours ?

There defiantly elusive the Y series UK LV. But i'm sure there out there in someone's cupboard or safes. Just waiting for a new buyer.

Why did you sell yours ?
    I love the hunt probably more than owning the actual watch! I didn't wear it often and I sold it for nigh on £6k. The bezel had a deep scratch and the watch was worn and I didn't want to polish it. (It had never been polished). I went through about 12 rolex in about two years and I'm finally happy with the three I have now which coincidentally are all new pieces or are new old stock. It's ok owning pre owned pieces but I like the fact my watches I have now were new or as new when I bought them. Probably my OCD. Maybe I should of held onto it for a few more years who knows. I only paid £4250 for it which of course is ridiculously cheap but I enjoyed the buzz of acquiring it. Would I buy another? Sure. But only at the right price...

Just to add, the watch was destined to be a keeper. I spoke to a lot of dealers, friends etc and everyone agreed it will never reach dizzying heights because it's simply not "rare" enough, coupled with the fact I never wore it much I decided to take the profit and run!
    Last edited by Yeti; 23rd December 2014 at 17:00.