closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Orange Monster

Seiko Orange Monster

So, my birthday is in January and I'm already thinking of a present the wife can buy me.
    I quite like the idea of an Orange Monster as it's a good value diver, only desk diving mind you.

Anyway I have been looking at these 3 models and wondered if anyone had any experience they could share.
    I know the 3rd one is not technically a diver but as I said I'm not going to be diving.

I am initially drawn to the SRP309.

I've got my 781 on now. It's a great thing, I can't knock it. The movement in the newer model has been deemed better because it hand-winds and hacks but I can't say the lack of those features annoys me too much. I like the crown and dial on the new models a little more but I'm more than happy with my original and best.

Sometimes the love of watches is a completely irrational thing and while I agree the SRP309 is marginally better looking and has a more modern movement, I don't want one, I'll stick to my SKX781. You'll be lucky to get one new nowadays though.

Oh, that thing on the right, that isn't a Monster, I don't care how online retailers dress it up.

Of the three - the watch of choice has to be the SRP309 with the advantage of the 4R36 hacking movement.

If you can stretch to £300 then the one to have would be the SBDC023, which is the Prospex Orange Monster with the 6R15 movement out of the Sumo, Shogun, etc.. It's quite a step up in quality.

get the 2nd one.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    The 781 is my daily and has been for the last 2/3 years. Had no problems with it what so ever, the only time it comes off my wrist is on a weekend (if I remember).

It's been on the bracelet most of the time however I recently bought a NATO strap for a little variety.

Must say I'm not particularly keen on the 483 but that's purely based on looks.

Missed one: SBDC023

My only problem is the kid sure is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    My only problem is the kid sure is ugly.
    Wilfully ugly and therein lies the charm.

Master
    I've had the first two and prefer the second. It's not just the hacking and self winding movement I prefer the dial and especially the way the lume is.

The 309 is under £125 on sky watches at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    The 309 is under £125 on sky watches at the moment
    That is ridiculous value.

Does it have to be orange dialed ? If not, have a look at the 313, that's my favourite.

Thanks guys, some great answers there and plenty to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    If you can stretch to £300 then the one to have would be the SBDC023, which is the Prospex Orange Monster with the 6R15 movement out of the Sumo, Shogun, etc.. It's quite a step up in quality.
    ...I had no idea these existed. Why did you have to show me these, my wife won't be pleased!

The thing i love about the 781 is the shape of the markers but prefer the marker surrounds on the 309.
    This SBDC023 combines both of the things! Plus it's not got the day complication which i was never really a fan of.

I think i may have found a winner!

So anyone know where i can pick one up?

An updated image of the 3 Orange Monsters...

Edit: ed335d beat me to it.

Try here: http://www.seiyajapan.com/collection...omatic-sbdc023

There is also a seller on ebay who has it for £293 (also free shipping), but Seiya linked above is a respected seller, and slightly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Layin_Cable View Post
    Thanks guys, some great answers there and plenty to think about.

...I had no idea these existed. Why did you have to show me these, my wife won't be pleased!

The thing i love about the 781 is the shape of the markers but prefer the marker surrounds on the 309.
    This SBDC023 combines both of the things! Plus it's not got the day complication which i was never really a fan of.

I think i may have found a winner!

So anyone know where i can pick one up?

Hmm, just noticed the SBDC023 doesn't come with sapphire! Shame, at that price it really should do.
    Maybe I'll stick with the 309 after all.
    Cheers all.

Master
    I love mine!

You really won't be disappointed with one of these, mine keeps time at about +6s per day which I think is pretty good. It definately has a presence on the wrist and a nice weight and solid feel to it, but not so big it won't fit underneath the cuffs on a shirt. Easily my favourite watch in my collection.

I've got the 781 and the 309 and since it's all about looks for me the fangs of the 309 carry the day as far as I'm concerned. Mind you the 023 looks good (I'm really nothing more than an orange Monster whore).

Craftsman
    I've got the original, a great watch and looks fantastic on a mesh:

If I were to buy now, I'd go for the 309, that dial just has that little bit extra and it's dirt cheap for the money.
    Last edited by KNog; 20th December 2014 at 18:24.

Craftsman
    Huge fan of my original OM.

Master
    Of the first three, I've had all of them and kept the 483 as I like the dial and bigger lugs.

I did however replace the 309 with a 315. The hacking movement is a step up and for me, I just liked the colour combo of the 315. I'd be surprised if you're disappointed with any of them though.

I've not handled a Prospex version, but it certainly appears to be a cracker - although some would question the wart on the crystal.

Master
    The fangs of the second iteration never did it for me, both seemed to take the name too literally and lack the depth the indices have to the dial of the original. Less said about the 5 mini-monsters the better IMO - all the ugliness with none of the charm to my eyes. I could certainly be convinced by the no-day prospex, but not sure it warrants the increase in price and the first still feels like it has more 3D indices...

Master

Smile Great photo

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    I've got the original, a great watch and looks fantastic on a mesh:

If I were to buy now, I'd go for the 309, that dial just has that little bit extra and it's dirt cheap for the money.
    I have tried to love the Monster really I have, but as said the fangs have always put me off.Just a pity they don't do a second generation movement with a first generation face :) Having said that this picture has really sold the watch to me, great colour as a lot of photos look a bit faded, unless the orange is prone to fading?

Master
    I haven't noticed any fade across any iteration.

The neo monster has a darker orange dial though and is quite a different watch to the "normal" Monster -with wider lugs, see through case back, and orange numerals on the bezel for example. I've always preferred the crown on the later Monster (and the Neo) too. In all cases, the lume is rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I have tried to love the Monster really I have, but as said the fangs have always put me off.Just a pity they don't do a second generation movement with a first generation face :)
    Totally doable

Master

Smile Perfect.

Totally doable

That's superb! Did you transplant a gen1 dial with a gen2 watch? and where did you source the bracelet from as that really suits the watch.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    That's superb! Did you transplant a gen1 dial with a gen2 watch? and where did you source the bracelet from as that really suits the watch.
    Thanks.
    Thanks

It's a gen 1 dial and hands into a gen 2 case and movement. It is a pretty easy transplant.

The bracelet is a Yobokies BoR

Master
    ^^^Thanks^^^

Totally doable

That looks awesome, that may make me change my mind from Orange!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Layin_Cable View Post
    That looks awesome, that may make me change my mind from Orange!
    That does indeed, though I almost feel I'd have to ride a motorbike in order to wear it?

Seems I am in the minority here but when I finally decided to get a monster the 781s were getting hard to find. Kept waiting for them to come back in to stock at Creation but it never happened. Ended up grabbing one from SC instead. I really prefer the dial with the square buttons to the darts on the new one. Each to their own though...

I've not seen the Prospex model before....seems nice, but a big jump in price.
    Presumably as they become more widely available tne price will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    I've not seen the Prospex model before....seems nice, but a big jump in price.
    Presumably as they become more widely available tne price will drop.
    Well, the price is in line with the other Prospex models using that movement, so I suspect not. I haven't handled the Prospex Monster, but if the quality is similar to the Sumo, then it will be a big step up from the regular Monster (which is great for the price, but can't be compared to a Tuna for example).