closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Moving to a Different Company

Master

Thinking About Moving to a Different Company

Hoping to gauge your thoughts on a potential move I am considering to a new company (it's a rival of my current company).

I'm currently commuting around 70-75 miles per day to West London from Reading. I leave around 6am and get into the office at 7:15am. The commute is nearly all motorway and an absolute pig of a journey. The journey home is equally as bad.

The new company are offering me a higher grade position and more money (around 8%); however you only get 20 days holiday per year (160 hours) plus the public holidays, and the pension is not as lucrative (they match your contribution) and they are in Farnborough, which is a very easy commute via car or train (20 minutes).

My current company give me 200 hours a year and a better pension (I put in 4% and they put in 8.55%). I feel like a valued employee here and have a good relationship with my team and senior management. That said, I am always weary of being a "trusted employee", much as like a bank has you as a "valued customer". I'm in the middle of a project that is critical to the UK business unit to win. We currently don't have any fully executed projects, but are working towards winning some to bring us out of a slouch.

Both companies offer a 9 day fortnight, which is fantastic, but the current project I'm working on has cancelled the 9 day fortnight so it's not really applicable.

So in summary, I don't know what to do. Take the better paying job nearer to home and accept the cut in benefits. Or stick it out with my current employer in hope that I climb the ladder and put up with the terrible commute.

PS - Yes I know this is a first world problem and I am very lucky to be in this position when so many people in this country are facing much worse situations such as being made redundant etc.

Master
    How long have you been with your current employer?

8% rise (and inferior pension contribution) would not tempt me to move.But the lifestyle change du to shorter commute is definitely worth a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    8% rise (and inferior pension contribution) would not tempt me to move.But the lifestyle change du to shorter commute is definitely worth a thought.
    Exactly this. I don't think you can put a price on reduced stress and more time with your significant others. I know I could earn a lot more money elsewhere, but my current work/life balance can not be beaten.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    How long have you been with your current employer?

3.5 years. That's the problem I'm having. I should tell my employer, they would more than likely match the other company (they have done in the past when I nearly left because I wasn't getting the salary I wanted), but I'd still be in the position of hating my commute and being knackered by the time I got home.

Craftsman
    I think the first thing to do is work out exactly how much of the extra 8% salary will go towards maintaining the same pension contributions that you currently do. I'm presuming pension contributions are quite tax efficient like over here? At least then you'll know that it's actually a 6% (or whatever) increase from what you're on now.

Personally, if I was getting back an hour or more of my life every working day with a much easier commute, I would consider that as good as cash. Will your outgoings be reduced as well by the shorter commute?

I think shorter commute and less stress is better. You don't know how much longer after retirement you will be around. Not saying not to save up, but reduce the stress now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I think the first thing to do is work out exactly how much of the extra 8% salary will go towards maintaining the same pension contributions that you currently do. I'm presuming pension contributions are quite tax efficient like over here? At least then you'll know that it's actually a 6% (or whatever) increase from what you're on now.

Personally, if I was getting back an hour or more of my life every working day with a much easier commute, I would consider that as good as cash. Will your outgoings be reduced as well by the shorter commute?
    I'd probably save at least £150 in fuel per month, plus less on car maintenance.

Master
    20 minutes drive Reading to Farnborough, really?

Have you tried negotiating on the holiday although with a 9 day fortnight I'd have though 20 would be plenty. ( I use at least 5 of my 25 days for odd job / downtime days).

I work and live in Milton Keynes, and my commute is just under 2 miles. So in the car it's 3-5 minute drive, or when I walk it's only 20 minutes. I have often looked at jobs in the bigger offices of the bank in London and Birmingham. Sure I would get a £10k minimum pay rise, but half of that would go on the commute, and I'd lose 2 hours a day minimum. 10+ hours a week to do what I like is not something I've been willing to let go of.

In short, I'd be thinking long and hard about the better work/life balance. A shorter commute and more time at home is extremely difficult to quantify with a £figure. But if I were you I'd be very tempted to move.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I'd probably save at least £150 in fuel per month, plus less on car maintenance.
    That's a decent saving right there.

My advice would be to not accept a counter offer from the current company should it come to it. About 80% of people who do so, end up leaving within a year anyway as there is nearly always other factors that are still an issue. And that commute alone sounds like a complete PITA.

Anyway - more senior position, much better commute vs higher pension and more leave. My gut would say to take the new role. Though I'd try and see if the time saved commuting might be chewed up by working extra hours.

Provided you feel the role would be less, or just as stressful, I'd probably take the move, but after checking out promotion opportunities both there and in your current role. There is nothing wrong with getting paid more for your existing role though. But sounds like you might be looking for a move closer to home - what other opportunities are there out there - i.e. could you be waiting a long time for another opportunity to move.

I much prefer having more spare time - and currently I'm at most between 10-30 minutes away from most clients, and I would not relish losing an hour or so each way to and from work every day - which could equate to an extra 1.5 days a week! Personal time is more important, unless you absolutely love what you do.
    It's just a matter of time...

Make the move - more money, reduced travel time and travel costs, reduced stress and tiredness, more free time to spend with friends and family (or on watch forums!).

I'd go for a shorter commute and an extra hour at home - add that to the fuel savings and the pay increase, and it seems you'd have it better with the new job.

Blog Entries
    You can't put a price on a less stressful commute, more time spent with your family and significantly more free time in the evening... Also long term health wise it's probably beneficial too.

Hoping to gauge your thoughts on a potential move I am considering to a new company (it's a rival of my current company).

I'm currently commuting around 70-75 miles per day to West London from Reading. I leave around 6am and get into the office at 7:15am. The commute is nearly all motorway and an absolute pig of a journey. The journey home is equally as bad.

The new company are offering me a higher grade position and more money (around 8%); however you only get 20 days holiday per year (160 hours) plus the public holidays, and the pension is not as lucrative (they match your contribution) and they are in Farnborough, which is a very easy commute via car or train (20 minutes).

My current company give me 200 hours a year and a better pension (I put in 4% and they put in 8.55%). I feel like a valued employee here and have a good relationship with my team and senior management. That said, I am always weary of being a "trusted employee", much as like a bank has you as a "valued customer". I'm in the middle of a project that is critical to the UK business unit to win. We currently don't have any fully executed projects, but are working towards winning some to bring us out of a slouch.

Both companies offer a 9 day fortnight, which is fantastic, but the current project I'm working on has cancelled the 9 day fortnight so it's not really applicable.

So in summary, I don't know what to do. Take the better paying job nearer to home and accept the cut in benefits. Or stick it out with my current employer in hope that I climb the ladder and put up with the terrible commute.

PS - Yes I know this is a first world problem and I am very lucky to be in this position when so many people in this country are facing much worse situations such as being made redundant etc.
    I used to travel from Tunbridge Wells in Kent to Essex 6 days a week for work on a good day 45mins drive, but used to catch the traffic and the tunnel & bridge in Dartford most days which then make it a 1 1/2 - 2 hr journey every day. Managed to stick with it for a year, but luckily a job offer came up nearer to home, 20 mins drive, less pay but my god the nest decision I made, now the company have moved to within a 5 min walk from home, and may pay has been upped to what I used to be on 2 years ago. So I have luckily landed on my feet.

My advice would take the closer job, there was many times I used to drive tired not really remembering how I managed the journey home and the lack of stress, extra time to myself is really worth it.

Brad

Ex recruitment advice

If it's via an agency they should sort this for you.

F not you need to tell your potential new employer what you need.

A few days extra hols is bugger all

My new firm didn't bulk at pay rise plus 4 days extra holiday etc

I'd take the job if they can match the issues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    If it's via an agency they should sort this for you.

F not you need to tell your potential new employer what you need.

A few days extra hols is bugger all

My new firm didn't bulk at pay rise plus 4 days extra holiday etc

I'd take the job if they can match the issues
    No it's direct with the company. They won't give me additional holiday as the 20 days is company standard, and for every year you're with them it goes up by 1 day.

No it's direct with the company. They won't give me additional holiday as the 20 days is company standard, and for every year you're with them it goes up by 1 day.
    So employees all gave different holidays based on their length of service. Holiday entitlement is therefore open to negotiation.

At the very worst they should be prepared to give you what you get now with no annual increase until you've "caught up".

If they want you and you want to be there, anything is negotiable.

Who wants to arrive home knackered? I would make the move.
    You'll enjoy the shorter commute, it will put some life into your free time.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    You can't put a price on a less stressful commute, more time spent with your family and significantly more free time in the evening... Also long term health wise it's probably beneficial too.
    Exactly this.

I have done long commutes (2hrs of traveling time per day+) but am now doing about 12 minutes each way. 15 on a bad day.

The difference is huge. I feel far less stressed and have more energy. Commuting time is simply dead time - but is really part of the working day. You will be saving yourself 8hrs or more of time a week - or put another way, the best part of a working day.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    So employees all gave different holidays based on their length of service. Holiday entitlement is therefore open to negotiation.

At the very worst they should be prepared to give you what you get now with no annual increase until you've "caught up".

If they want you and you want to be there, anything is negotiable.
    No it isn't. If you join the company you get 160 hours. If you complete one year of service you are given an additional 8 hours. If you complete 2 years you get another 8, and so on until you reach your max of 192 hours. I have asked and they said it is non-negotiable.

The holidays are a shame, but you will more thank make it back in free time. Go for it.

I went part time last year, and it was the best thing. Looks like I might be working a little more in 2015, as I've had a couple of very interesting approaches, but it will still be more flexible, and I pick and choose my clients and projects.

Waiting until you retire for more free time, or more me time is a big mistake imho, I've lost a few friends who worked almost non stop & dropped dead before retirement. Whereas my old man loves what he does and is still working every day past 70! He would probably keel over if he stopped!
    It's just a matter of time...

No it isn't. If you join the company you get 160 hours. If you complete one year of service you are given an additional 8 hours. If you complete 2 years you get another 8, and so on until you reach your max of 192 hours. I have asked and they said it is non-negotiable.
    Would upset existing employees if someone came in with more holiday because they got it elsewhere.

Not that this would stop some companies doing it.

That's a crap holiday entitlement. Even the 192 hours max is below the UK norm.

But for me, the 9 day fortnight would make up for it.

I moved to an American company for a while and they only offered 20 days with absolutely no negotiation. They paid me more cash instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    20 minutes drive Reading to Farnborough, really?
    My thought as well. Unless the hours are very much odd start and end times I just can't see a commute from Reading to Farnborough being anything like 20 minutes. It used to take me that long just to get up the M3 from the other side of the Motorway to Farnborough (Yateley) up to Chertsey but would often be much longer when the inevitable happened on the M3.

Master
    I commute about 3 hours per day (mix of drive, train, tube, walk) and it kills me. I would kill to work locally (or more locally) as the extra time, stress and lost energy simply isn't worth it in my view.

Re hols, pensions etc, it's second level considerations in my view - easier commute, bit more money, less money on commute, more time at home etc. - it all adds up.

Also, if you have a more senior role in new place will you be able to work from home, have more flexibility (over time)?

I'm home based, but go to my office in London once a week (usually).

It's a lovely office, light, airy, comfortable seats, snacks and drinks readily available, but the 90 minutes each way are more than enough to convince me I wouldn't EVER do it full time again. I need a couple of hours at least to feel vaguely human again, so it's more like 5 hours on my working day, or more likely 3, but I'm in a better frame of mind for work!

Farnborough - Reading is 20 minutes if you're still leaving at 6:15, but probably not if you leave an hour or two later.

I like the idea of a 9 day fortnight though!

Overall, I'd trade DOWN a little in salary to get 3 hours a day back, so an extra 8% on your salary sounds like a win-win!!!!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 19th December 2014 at 17:52.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Overall, I'd trade DOWN a little in salary to get 3 hours a day back, so an extra 8% on your salary sounds like a win-win!!!!
    I wouldn't trade down, but I certainly would settle for a few grand less per year if the location meant I got a good few hours of my time back.

I wouldn't trade down, but I certainly would settle for a few grand less per year if the location meant I got a good few hours of my time back.
    Mmmm - That's what I meant really

M.

Craftsman
    Mmmm - That's what I meant really

M.
    Reading back over my post, it wasn't very clear! I meant I would be happier with a smaller pay increase if it meant I could work much closer to home.

Reading back over my post, it wasn't very clear! I meant I would be happier with a smaller pay increase if it meant I could work much closer to home.
    Ah got you, but yes I totally agree.

I once worked out how much I felt a commute into London would need to be paying for me to consider it. I reckoned I'd need a 100% rise, so I've never even considered looking...

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I commute about 3 hours per day (mix of drive, train, tube, walk) and it kills me. I would kill to work locally (or more locally) as the extra time, stress and lost energy simply isn't worth it in my view.

Re hols, pensions etc, it's second level considerations in my view - easier commute, bit more money, less money on commute, more time at home etc. - it all adds up.

Also, if you have a more senior role in new place will you be able to work from home, have more flexibility (over time)?
    Yeah me too. I live walking distance to the station and walk from london bridge most of the time. But I'm out from 6-9 mon-fri. Disgusting really.

Master
    Reading to Farnborough via train I meant, it's something like 24 minutes. I'd still leave at 6ish and if you go the back way via Arborfield then it can be done in 20 mins if you're gunning it :D More likely 30 minutes.

Another point; the offices are brand new and really well laid out.

No chance of working from home unfortunately as we do work on behalf of clients and they like us to have presence in the office. Plus I'd be managing a team so supervision would be required.

Thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated. I am going to speak to my director on Monday.

Craftsman
    Plus I'd be managing a team so supervision would be required.
    I'd want a lot more than 8% to go back to managing people! What a pain in the nethers...

Master
    I'd want a lot more than 8% to go back to managing people! What a pain in the nethers...
    I already manage/supervise a team as a supervisor, but report to a manager. In this position I'd be the manager, so could hopefully delegate a lot to the supervisor depending on the size of the project. I quite enjoy it and want to work my way up; if I find it's not for me I could always go back down.

Its already been sent many times but you cannot put a price on quality of life. The 8% covers you for the difference in benefits and you gain extra hours in your day, are less tired and save mileage on your car. If you like the new company it seems like an easy decision.

Id

Given the +/- you've described, I'd think of it as trading some comfort in retirement for convenience now. The extra salary can make up for lost pension or lost days maybe? But I'd still see the change of commute as being a way of making retirement more likely

Blog Entries
    Had a similar dilemma... I had a job offer paying a fair whack more 10 mins from my front door with 25 days holiday v 30 days, The job I was in had a final salary pension scheme and a 2-3 hour drive to west London every week and being away from my family 2-3 days a week

Oh how I miss the peace and quiet of my old hotel room for a couple of nights a week.........

No... It's the best move I ever made... I love getting home at a reasonable time and seeing the family every day, I wouldn't trade that for all the tea in China

Master
    Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to give it a go, but I am trying to build up the courage to go and speak with my director about it (as my line manager isn't in until January and the new company wants an answer before Christmas).

Master
    Well that didn't go very well because now I'm back to square one of evaluating my prospects :(

Master
    Well that didn't go very well because now I'm back to square one of evaluating my prospects :(
    Oh sorry to hear that Luke I hope it all works out for you :)

What happened then?

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Oh sorry to hear that Luke I hope it all works out for you :)
    What happened then?

M.
    Cheers guys. Well I had a meeting with my director and the long and short is that he really doesn't want me to leave. To be fair to the company they have "invested" some money in me by sending me on a few training courses and getting me off/on certain projects at my request. I told him it was purely from a commuting perspective and that I was very happy in the company; so it's made me think that I could do really well where I am now if I stick it out.

Master
    Cheers guys. Well I had a meeting with my director and the long and short is that he really doesn't want me to leave. To be fair to the company they have "invested" some money in me by sending me on a few training courses and getting me off/on certain projects at my request. I told him it was purely from a commuting perspective and that I was very happy in the company; so it's made me think that I could do really well where I am now if I stick it out.
    Of course they don't want you to leave.
    They may have sent you on some courses, got you onto/off certain projects - but so what? You've invested your time, energy, effort and commuting time - so it equals out in my book.

Depends on your view of course, but it seems most on here would shorten the commute if possible and re-invent your life with the gain in time and energy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Master
    You decided to make the move so go for it, yes your current employer has said how wonderful you are and to stay, but when it comes to promotion etc it will always be in the back of their mind that you have talked about moving on.
    Put the money you save on travel in to a pension and it will help offset some of the difference, your working day will be shorter due to the reduced commute, the holiday issue is double edged personally I'd be happy to lose days in order to have a life outside of work mon-fri due to a shorter commute.

I used to commute an hour each way into London. Now I drive 20 minutes in very light traffic to Basingstoke three times a week and work from home twice a week. I was recently offered a role by the MD of another division of my company based in London. Basically I said I'd consider it for a 50% pay rise and if I could work from home 3 days a week, he offered me 25% with working from home on Fridays. I declined. The difference it makes to your life is massive. In summer I cycle 30 miles after work a few times a week, I also nip out for 1 hour rides when working from home. I put a very high price on giving that up as I know my health will suffer.

Blog Entries
    I traveled an hour to and an hour from work each day in my last job. It was 21 miles away.. but through really rubbish traffic.

I now work 0.4 miles from my house. And walk to work.

MUCH better.

Master
    This thread just makes me want to change jobs and/or career.

Master

No commute!!

I used to commute to London all the time and it sucks whether by car or train so for me any decrease in travelling is paramount! Im not sure on your full set of circumstances but having kids changed my whole outlook on work and life balance?! before I had kids I always thought I would want to work harder and longer to provide more for my family but it quickly changed and they made me realise that I work to live and not the other way around so for me personally anything that gives you more time to enjoy life ie time with a partner, kids or time doing hobbies is great by me!!!
    Go for quality of life!
    If need be with the saving on fuel and the 8% increase invest it in something else for your retirement or build up a vast vintage watch collection you can slowly sell when you retire!!😄
    Change jobs is the answer from me!!

Chris

I'd go back to the other company and say you need some time to consider things.

If they're interested they'll wait. After all, who wants an employee who jumps ship with no qualms? If they won't, what else will they be totally inflexible about?

I'd agree that of course your current employer doesn't want you to leave. You're probably cheaper than your replacement and you'll cost them a shed load to replace.

Any decent employer should be 'investing' in you. That's a given, not a perk...

Take some time over Christmas to think what's important to you. Staying put is nearly always easier than leaving, but usually leaving is more rewarding in every way. (there are, of course, exceptions).

The one thing I'd ask you, though, is what's going to change where you are that the commute is suddenly going to be acceptable? If you can't EASILY answer that one, you should seriously consider switching.

M