closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking About Moving to a Different Company

Master
    I would change jobs as that commute would drive me insane.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

The one thing I'd ask you, though, is what's going to change where you are that the commute is suddenly going to be acceptable? If you can't EASILY answer that one, you should seriously consider switching.

M
    That's one of the main things I am "wrestling" with. In essence, nothing will change. I have been given a lot of promises and I am also on the companys talent development scheme; which has benefitted me in some ways, but I'd still be walking into a higher position at the new company.

There is no substitute for quality of life.
    I was lucky enough to get a job a week after leaving on redundancy. It's a bit less money and being a small firm there's nowhere near as many corporate perks.
    However I'm a 15 minute drive from home, the two owners are brilliant bosses who strive to nurture a great working environment (which I think they've succeeded in) and my quality of life is much better. It will take me quite a bit to even think about leaving.

Craftsman
    I have recently done something similar to this but with me i took a pay cut! Yes a pay cut to get a better work life balance.
    In your mind and on paper the loss of money was terrible but 4 months in i couldn't be happier.

With your current job your obviously admired/liked/respected but what does the next 3 years look like? With the new job will it completely remove the frustrations of your current job? If it will take the job, your current employer will take you back if you hate it and your respected as much as they claim.
    After 9 years with my old employer it was a massive jump but i feel so much better for it

Craftsman
    Training courses are not a perk to the employee any more than the overhead of supplying a desk & computer; they're a business expense.

But what would concern me is that they didn't seem to have any ideas on how to make it more desirable for you to stay. If they really want to keep you and there's the possibility for things to change, then I would have expected them to look at your reasons for leaving and suggest ways to resolve them - or at the very least, say that they'll follow up within x days.

I'm not so sure. I'd be more tempted to go with an employer that was willing to pay for my training and exams - for certain progression it's almost a necessity, and if you can't afford to pay for it yourself then it can make all the difference.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks to everyone who offered helpful advice; just to update, I'll be leaving my current job on the 6th Feb and starting my new job on the 9th!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Thanks to everyone who offered helpful advice; just to update, I'll be leaving my current job on the 6th Feb and starting my new job on the 9th!
    Congratulations, glad it worked out the way you wanted.