timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do I want a Daytona?

Do you want a Daytona?
    How is anyone else supposed to know?
    If the question is
    Should you get one?
    Then, the answer is - yes,if you like it. You have seen it on your wrist.
    As you can see opinion is divided.
    Which Daytona?
    -a harder question to answer.
    If price was not an issue , wod recommend RG with the ceramic bezel on strap.

I think the newer ones would look better with a brushed bracelet ,anyone done this?

I agree Peter, the blingy bracelet really is offputting on the newer models.

Journeyman

Do I want a Daytona?

Watchfinder has around 50 to choose from at moment

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the Daytona is a girls watch then what are the early Explorers??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    If the Daytona is a girls watch then what are the early Explorers??
    Kids watches.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    I think the newer ones would look better with a brushed bracelet ,anyone done this?
    I did this for that very reason. It's over in sales corner ;-)

I prefer the subtle look.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    It's been called a girl's watch because it's small.
    You think?
    I thought it dubbed a girls watch because the chronograph is THE boutique fashion watch thing with celebrity females sporting Daytonas at the head of this trend.

Master
    I was just repeating what previous posters had said - small, dainty looking etc.

Journeyman
    I bought a white faced daytona in August for my 30th,, i'd always wanted the black; but had never seen the white in the flesh.. Don't regret buying one bit

I was just repeating what previous posters had said - small, dainty looking etc. when worn by a gorilla.

Master
    Nope, by the average and above average sized gent. From what some folks are saying, they don't seem to think they look good these days.

Nope, by the average and above average sized gent. From what some folks are saying, they don't seem to think they look good these days.
    Then I'd question their judgement, as you should be doing (instead of simply repeating their opinions).

Master
    Alright, keep your knickers on. It's just people's views that differ from yours, that's all.

I'd beg to differ-hugely

Furthermore id still say it's the most coveted steel sports watch most people aspire to

Master
    Fine, you disagree. Great. Doesn't mean other people's opinions are wrong though. They're just different.

Fine, you disagree. Great. Doesn't mean other people's opinions are wrong though. They're just different.
    What's YOUR personal opinion? You've said a lot of people think the're this and that, what do you think?

Master
    I said what I thought in post #61:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3359647

And a suitable reposte in #63...

Master
    You Daytona owners seem seriously uptight. Not everyone likes your choice of watch, you'll just have to learn to live with that!

But then in return we shouldn't be judged as buying an undersized girlie watch!..

At the end of the day each to their own and we should always aspire to buy what we want not what others want us to buy.

Now everyone say happy

PS I'm off out wearing my over hyped girlie watch haha

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    What's YOUR personal opinion? You've said a lot of people think the're this and that, what do you think?
    Well, you know what they say about big, masculine, uh, watches...

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Something highly addictive...and a Daytona

Last edited by J J Carter; 19th December 2014 at 22:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

I'm sure Rolex would sell more Daytonæ with a date funtction. I respect that they know when to leave well enough alone design-wise in this case.

Not to me. Then would then add the Cyclops, which I detest, and would not buy a Daytona with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ~39mm is really only small if you have elephantiasis (or harbour action hero delusions). Big watches are fashion-led; ostentation driven by all the new money swilling around.
    +1

I dislike overly bulky or large watches.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size and thickness of the Daytona, and how good it looks and feels on the wrist. I bought one today as my daily wear watch.

That Daytona is a smallish watch is a valid opinion. However, is still a very popular watch.
    I wouldn't call it girly.would love for Rolex to come out with a 42 mm version which IMO would sell quite well.
    There are plenty of people here and elsewhere who prefer the current size. It is a
    Matter of individual taste and choice . There is no right or wrong here.
    It is as stupid to throw around words like insecurity, new money, elephantiasis as it is to use the word 'girly'.
    By and large IMO people who prefer smaller sizes are more defensive and insecure, going by their comments on this thread and elsewhere.
    I have no problem with someone preferring a smaller watch but do have a problem with them suggesting that there is something inherently 'wrong' about preferring a more a more substantial size or that it is a sign of poor taste. They seem so uptight that sometimes I feel like deriving pleasure from deriding their choices and mocking them.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 19th December 2014 at 23:30.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a particular fan of the daytona, but you have to hand it to rolex, they really do make other chronos look infinitely less refined.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a friend who runs a small independent Jewellery business and he sells many chronographs. He told me that a lot of his customers buy them because they like the look of them. They rarely ask how to time anything.

Just because you use the facility does not mean that everyone does.

Mick
    Must be true then. Your friend the jeweller said so...

Craftsman
    Been thinking about getting myself a Daytona for my 30th. Will have to try one on since so many people seem to find them underwhelming on the wrist.

But then I don't suffer from a complex over masculinity and I don't need a saucer on my wrist to feel like a man.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Not to me. Then would then add the Cyclops, which I detest, and would not buy a Daytona with.

+1. Something I hate about certain Speedmasters

Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    Been thinking about getting myself a Daytona for my 30th. Will have to try one on since so many people seem to find them underwhelming on the wrist.

But then I don't suffer from a complex over masculinity and I don't need a saucer on my wrist to feel like a man.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    By and large IMO people who prefer smaller sizes are more defensive and insecure, going by their comments on this thread and elsewhere.
    But they're not, are they. This thread was not started by some prat wearing a gimpwatch saying "all men who wear what I consider to be small watches are girls" but that's how it ended up - shit-stirred. And so...

[QUOTE=Rano85;3361198

But then I don't suffer from a complex over masculinity and I don't need a saucer on my wrist to feel like a man.[/QUOTE]

What an asinine comment!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    What an asinine comment!
    The word you're looking for is "accurate".

Of course you should get a Daytona given half a chance. The one to go for IMHO is the white dialled one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Of course you should get a Daytona given half a chance. The one to go for IMHO is the white dialled one.
    +1 .... but try on the steel dialled one before you decide.

I tried on a few Daytonas MANY MANY times, before deciding on the steel dialled one. Absolutely lovely watch.

Master
    Wow. It's like being back in primary school...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Well, you know what they say about big, masculine, uh, watches...
    And now homophobia too? WTF?

You were doing so well...

Until that.

Had a Daytona for years and sold it. Not because it made me feel less of a man, I just found it uninteresting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Had a Daytona for years and sold it. Not because it made me feel less of a man, I just found it uninteresting.

Echo those words. Possibly one of the most underwhelming watches (for me) i have ever owned. No regrets whatsoever selling mine years ago. The years of hype made it a must have for many and for those that bought one and like it, that's great. Ultimately though it simply didn't appeal to me or excite me in any way at all. I foolishly bought into the Daytona hype, the only time i ever did such a thing as i recall.

Grand Master
    And now homophobia too? WTF?
    Holy mother, are you really offended by that?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    The years of hype made it a must have for many and for those that bought one and like it, that's great. Ultimately though it simply didn't appeal to me or excite me in any way at all
    Oof. Spot on for how I felt. I think I even posted a 'shall I sell it' thread on here as I thought I might regret it. I don't.

I would like a gold one though in the future...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Holy mother, are you really offended by that?
    Yes. It isn't funny.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    You were doing so well...

Until that.

I'd say only because you misunderstood. I wasnt saying everyone who finds it underwhelming does so because of its size or lack of "manliness". My comment was aimed at those that regularly turn a discussion about sub-39mm watches into "bigger = manly. Smaller = girly".

Master
    I'd been holding back, but as I was the first one to use the word "girly" on this thread,I should point out (for the second time in this thread) that it has much less to do with the size (if anything) and more to do with the style.

Someone else came along with the girly / small size connection, which is not what I said / meant!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I'd been holding back, but as I was the first one to use the word "girly" on this thread,I should point out (for the second time in this thread) that it has much less to do with the size (if anything) and more to do with the style.

Someone else came along with the girly / small size connection, which is not what I said / meant!
    Yea, I saw your clarification further up. I have no issue with your opinion in that respect.

Master
    PS have we helped the OP decide?
    We're ever such a helpful bunch on here!
    TFIC!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

You described it as "small and dainty", then in your next post "a girls watch". So I think you made the connection all by yourself....