closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Smiths Everest...

Apprentice

New Smiths Everest...

I rarely posted here, mainly because of my poor English...

But some days ago I received my third Timefactors watch, the Smiths Everest! Since it went out, I was undecided to buy it or not ("To buy, or not to buy, that is the question". Ok, sorry...), I thought it was a little too large, preferring a 36 mm diameter for that kind of watch, then for a certain period of time the Smiths PRS-68 200 mt diver entered the competition.

But finally I "pulled the trigger" and ordered the Everest, which in two days was in my hands at home. Men, I own Omega, Tudor, Breitling, Rolex (I recently bought a Submariner 114060) so I certainly didn't need another watch, and most of all I have more expensive watches to put on my wrist, but since it arrived I only wear it almost night and day. This is a fantastic watch, and my only regret is to have waited so long before buying it.

I cannot but posting some useless (given the number of pics that can be found on the web) photos, but these are made to MY watch. And are somewhat raw, without any special care, so please sorry again, and particularly the third one was taken only because the "Everest" writing can be seen (and I even could not imagine there was such writing before buying the watch, I only discovered it after unpacking!!!).

I've tried it with many straps but definitely for me the best is with its bracelet. I only had some problems trying to place back again the end links into the lugs: the spring bars wouldn't fit into the holes (it seemed they were "out of axis"), so I needed to go to my watchmaker to get the bracelet fitted properly. After years of collecting watches and changing bracelets, this is the first time I wasn't able to do this simple operation. My watch, or anyone has experimented such difficulties?

Anyway here it is, and I'm glad!

Three nice pictures and a good write up ! Your English is better than a number on the forum so good job.

Great watch, I've had mine for three years and am wearing it today. The trick when fitting bracelet is to get the end links in place with the bars as close as they can be to the holes and then use the flat/forked end of your spring bar tool to gently push and click the bars into place.

Works every time once you know how.

Your English is very good my friend.

Enjoy.

David
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th December 2014 at 21:33.

Master
    Nice images and a really good write up, there's nothing wrong with your English!

Steve

Lovely watch and the third picture captures the Everest text really clearly - not easy to do!

Master
    Great pictures and fantastic watch, I have mine on a Hirsch liberty brown but looks great on a honey too, the strap is superbly made but as you say tricky to locate.
    Enjoy!

Apprentice
    Thanks to everybody!

But, going OT... How it happens that in "Time Factors Watches" section of the forum is there only one page of threads? 0__0
    I use to remember dozens of discussions... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    Thanks to everybody!

But, going OT... How it happens that in "Time Factors Watches" section of the forum is there only one page of threads? 0__0
    I use to remember dozens of discussions... ;-)
    Thread options at the bottom of the page, I think the default is 1 month, if you change this to your preferred and save the changes you should see all posts within that time period

Apprentice
    Thanks clemenry, I didn't notice that!

New Smiths Everest...

I've grown to appreciate my PRS-25 a lot more over time. I had it on a saddle leather Toshi for a long time, but I swapped it with the blue Croc strap and deployant from my Dornbluth.
    Wow, what a difference! I'll take a pic and edit the post.

A great all rounder - works with everything. It made me want a Rolex 1016 Explorer but they are just too small for my simian wrists.
    So, I'll stick with my Everest, perfect size for me.

It looks black, but it's actually very dark blue.
    (iPad + Tapatalk does not = quality photo!)
    Last edited by Wexford; 18th December 2014 at 16:41.

Journeyman
    Nice review. I have long thought about an Everest, but still think I'll add a chronograph first. I really like the MKII Vantage, which is similar, but difficult to find and can be spendy. Enjoy.

Inspired by your thread I put mine back on its bracelet today and......I just can't get away with it. I love the quality of the bracelet and the way it compliments the watch when not on the wrist.

But I have 6.75" wrists and it just looks silly. The bulk it adds to the head with the raised centre links kills it for me. I've had mine for more than three years and have always felt this way which is why I wear it on leather or a nato.

David

Master
    +1 I'm in exactly the same boat, great bracelet but the centre links kill it for me and just can't get the correct fit, either too tight or slack, shame really.

I like the bracelet, but then again I got it to fit just right.

Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    I rarely posted here, mainly because of my poor English...
    Nice watch! You should post more often, because your English is excellent.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Nice watch! You should post more often, because your English is excellent.
    Maybe, but it took me half an hour to write a post that I could have written in Italian in five minutes... ^__^

Anyway, thanks a lot!

A great review, I think that it works well on the bracelet, but I do like it on leather!

Mine has never been worn on it's bracelet, it came off the second I opened the packaging. It's either on a grey Nato or a dark brown Titan CS from Watchworx.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Mine has never been worn on it's bracelet, it came off the second I opened the packaging. It's either on a grey Nato or a dark brown Titan CS from Watchworx.
    The Everest works well on a Nato, and does look good on a Titan CS as magirus photos shows.

Journeyman
    Sitting on the fence about buying an everest simply because of the movement.

Can any owners advise me as to the long term accuracy being achieved with the watch and the ability to take daily knocks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longsight View Post

Can any owners advise me as to the long term accuracy being achieved with the watch and the ability to take daily knocks
    Afik Miyota 9015 is a good reliable workhorse made by Citizen and mine keeps good time.The Everest is a solid built watch with an acrylic crystal so can be polished out as and when, mines still like new.
    I suppose it depends what you're going to use it for...........

Craftsman

The movement is good quality so accuracy should be achievable and it will be as resilient as any other mechanical movement. Of course if you want real robustness then quartz, ideally digital, is best, but not always what's wanted.

For the first 2.5 years mine was running at +5 spd but then something happened and it went out to +20 spd. I don't know what that something was, I can't remember knocking it, maybe it's a twisted main spring. However it's never deviated from that 20 spd so I guess still pretty consistent.

Must get it regulated in the new year.

I don't remember the exact figures, but Eddie's stated in the past the he gets a smaller percentage of myotas going wrong than ETAs.

Apprentice
    Mine has been running for a few days only, since I bought it ten days ago, but it keeps good time, running maybe at + 2 sec/day: into COSC parameters! I also have automatic Miyotas (not 9015, usually the ubiquitous 8215 instead) on other watches, by Citizen or other brands, and I'm really satisfied with them. I think under some respect they are better than basic Seikos movements such as 7S26.

As quoted in the previous thread on the Miyota vs. ETA movements, the Miyota runs very accurately and I've had less problems with them than ETA 2824s
    There is often a fair amount of rotor noise though.

Good post, your language is fine. The PRS 25 has been with me for 3 years now, its my go to watch. I prefer mine on a Zulu either this one or burgandy.
    The size and weight of the watch are perfect. I have had as many comments on the watch as watches ten times its value. In fact I've had two women who have said they would wear it.
    I looked at the Explorer's after owning the Everest for some time... and was not overwhelmed by them.
    I reckon the PRS 25 is a keeper for me. It makes a great golfing watch and comes with me every match.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Good post, your language is fine. The PRS 25 has been with me for 3 years now, its my go to watch. I prefer mine on a Zulu either this one or burgandy.
    The size and weight of the watch are perfect. I have had as many comments on the watch as watches ten times its value. In fact I've had two women who have said they would wear it.
    I looked at the Explorer's after owning the Everest for some time... and was not overwhelmed by them.
    I reckon the PRS 25 is a keeper for me. It makes a great golfing watch and comes with me every match.

Like Dave and Barry I found the bracelet made the whole thing just too bulky for my taste - which is just as well as I could never get the clasp sorted out. It has been now though as is detailed in the other Everest thread thats running.

It wore smaller on leather but was still too bulky for my 6.75" wrist which is why I moved it on and replaced it with a smaller Zeno Explorer which wore much better - though the large gap between the leather strap and case prayed on my mind and so I had to let this go too.

The Everest is amazing value for what you get.

Master
    And so is the Zeno Ian, would love to try one one day.The Everest is amazing in its own right, the only thing for me is that whizzy rotor sound :(

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    And so is the Zeno Ian, would love to try one one day.The Everest is amazing in its own right, the only thing for me is that whizzy rotor sound :(
    Those big gaps really play on my OCD though!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Those big gaps really play on my OCD though!

You might want to consider a Hirsch Leonardo 22mm then?
    Not cheap of course, but a quality product as I'm sure we all know.
    The curved ends to help cure that OCD?
    I think I may have talked myself into one too. :)

http://www.watchstyle.co.uk/pi-1473819992.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    You might want to consider a Hirsch Leonardo 22mm then?
    Not cheap of course, but a quality product as I'm sure we all know.
    The curved ends to help cure that OCD?
    I think I may have talked myself into one too. :)

http://www.watchstyle.co.uk/pi-1473819992.htm
    20mm width on a Zeno

Rather academic though as I am unlikely to pay that much for a strap!

They do look nice though

This, and the marvellous "rotor wobble" of the Valjoux 7750, are two of life's sensory pleasures for me.
    F.T.F.A.

This, and the marvellous "rotor wobble" of the Valjoux 7750, are two of life's sensory pleasures for me.
    I rarely hear mine and it never bothers me when I do.

The Everest is amazing in its own right, the only thing for me is that whizzy rotor sound :(
    It bothered me for about a week, now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Journeyman
    This watch is going to be my second purchase of 2015. Just need a Seiko beater for work first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S View Post
    This watch is going to be my second purchase of 2015. Just need a Seiko beater for work first.
    I would check how many are left in stock. You can buy a Seiko beater any old time...........
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I would check how many are left in stock. You can buy a Seiko beater any old time...........
    That's the third time you've said that in the last few weeks, do you have inside information? :)

That's the third time you've said that in the last few weeks, do you have inside information? :)
    I have one, know how good they are and would hate to see someone miss out. I almost missed out on a Voyager and know the pain......
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Unhappy

I have one, know how good they are and would hate to see someone miss out. I almost missed out on a Voyager and know the pain......
    I know the feeling i missed out on the Prs5 and 10, it's always a gamble which one's going to sell out first :(

Journeyman
    Yeah good point. I think I will revise my buying order now.

I know the feeling i missed out on the Prs5 and 10, it's always a gamble which one's going to sell out first :(

Proof in point, I took the precaution of buying a PRS5 when they still had "Broadarrow" on the dial...... ;-) See below......

F.T.F.A.