closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Breitling quartz fixed

Master

A Breitling quartz fixed

This post may not earn the respect of purists, but I'm quite pleased with the result. I had put a new battery into my Breitling Jupiter Pilot and was re-fitting the little coil spring that connects the movement electrically to the caseback when it suddenly disappeared from my tweezers. Seems like it might have been non-magnetic, for it successfully evaded many sweeps of my giant ceramic speaker magnet.

Quite a problem because, like many quartz tool watches, it lost it's beep although it still did everything else. My heart fell, thoughts of trying to contact Breitling to find a tiny little part for an out-of-production movement and watch were too horrible to contemplate.

So, went off to Otto Frei's site and typed "spring" into his site search - hoping to discover something like an "assortment of really tiny coil springs one of which will fit your Breitling" if you know what I mean. Of course, what came up was many instances of springbars, etc, but no coil springs.

:shock: Springbars!!! Suddenly I remembered buying some really small springbars only 0.2" wide. Out with the snips and lo - a tiny little spring lay on the bench. It didn't quite fit down the little plastic tunnel, so that got drilled out to 46 thou. Cut the spring to length, on with the back and the tinny little beep was restored. :D

Beep! Beep!!

Craftsman
    Good work Ted! I love stories when people fix things McGyver-style :D

Cheers,
    Mabuse

Grand Master
    Now that's good thinking & work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse
    McGyver-style
    Who the hell is that??

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Always good to fix something yourself Ted.

Well done :wink:
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    McGyver-style
    Who the hell is that??

/vince ..
    You don't know MacGyver? OMG....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    McGyver-style
    Who the hell is that??

/vince ..

AKA Colonel O'Neill on Stargate SG-1. Also showed up recently as McGyver in an episode of the Simpsons, which is the reason I knew who McGyer was. Now looking for re-runs . . .

Nice one Ted. :) :)

I did something similar, but on a grander scale, the other week. Bought an extended sprinkler head from a car boot sale the other week. The sort that has a rotatable head to change the spray pattern. Wasn't working as it should. So I (stupidly) took it apart to see inside. Yep, lost the spring somewhere in the garden and could I find it anywhere? Nope. Did I have anything that fitted? Nope. Did I know what size I needed? Nope. And anyway, nowhere around here sells springs. So started taking things apart and cutting them up until I found one that nearly fitted, then drilled out the housing until it did. Fashioned a nylon pip to go on the end and, hey presto, it works. :D

It's a great feeling when you fix something yourself. :D :D

Do you think anyone would be interested in a dismantled bike pump, door handle, hole punch, retractable ball pen and half a dozen other common domestic items. They only need springs and they'll be as good as new. :lol:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    McGyver-style
    Who the hell is that??

/vince ..
    Still no clue to who he is! Maybe I should switch on my TV to something other than sport!

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    Do you think anyone would be interested in a dismantled bike pump, door handle, hole punch, retractable ball pen and half a dozen other common domestic items. They only need springs and they'll be as good as new.
    Trade ya for one (only) 0.2" springbar :wink:

Still no clue as to who he is!
    Maybe I should switch on my TV to something other than sport!
    According to the Simpsons episode, he got out of narrow scrapes by cobbling together common objects into awesome devices. S'all I now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    Do you think anyone would be interested in a dismantled bike pump, door handle, hole punch, retractable ball pen and half a dozen other common domestic items. They only need springs and they'll be as good as new.
    Trade ya for one (only) 0.2" springbar :wink:

Still no clue as to who he is!
    Maybe I should switch on my TV to something other than sport!
    According to the Simpsons episode, he got out of narrow scrapes by cobbling together common objects into awesome devices. S'all I now.
    He's the kind of dude who'd make an aeroplane out of two lumps of sugar, a spokewrench, a wig, yesterdays newspaper and a yellow boldtie. Seriously. Turning on your telly probably won't help unless you catch a rerun, but google may do the trick.

Cheers,
    Mabuse

Craftsman
    Try here

Good work Ted.

Is that the same type of movement used in Citizens (Miyota)?

I have had the spring fly out on those on various occasions but unbelievably managed to retrieve them.

No I can't believe it either. :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Good work Ted.

Is that the same type of movement used in Citizens (Miyota)?

I have had the spring fly out on those on various occasions but unbelievably managed to retrieve them.

No I can't believe it either. :lol: :wink:
    Yes, Neil, It's the Miyota 3S10 aka Citizen 3510. The last one I bought (for a buddy's Citizen) cost about $80 brand new! Breitling called it a Cal. 59.

I've got plenty of 0.2" springbars left :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

McGyver ére ya go>>>>>>>>>>>

I remember when you got that Jupiter ... I didn?t ?click? that it was a Myota, just assumed it was somekind of Swiss thing. I had a Citizen with it once. It was in an all square case, with square subdials everything in white, with steel hands ... looked great on a brown strap, instead of the crappy bracelet it came with.

I like these old (quartz) tool Breitlings. They are so far removed from the current Breitling output. But I wouldn't begrudge them their success ... somebody has to fight Rolex. :lol:

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet