closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some advice on a pre-owned Steelfish A17360 please??

Some advice on a pre-owned Steelfish A17360 please??

Hi,
    I'm after a pre-owned Breitling steelfish with Black dial - I've unfortunately missed the few that have appeared on the sales thread here, that went for about £1200 - £1400.

I've have found a couple on ebay (from a seemingly reputable jeweller ie Mark Worthington) , black & blue versions and they are asking £1695 (They seem in great condition, described as 9.5/10 with all boxes and paperwork etc) - this seems a bit over what I would expect.

So I wonder if I would be better off waiting for something to come up here, or maybe try and get a bit of a discount. To me between £1400-£1500 would seem a fairer price or am I way out on this?? - shame there isn't a watch version of Glasses Guide :) :)

Any advice would be gratefully received on this!

Cheers

John

Perhaps try a WTB? I have had success in the past

Imagine the fees eBay and PayPal charge to sell via the website.

Give them a phone with your card at the ready, and see what they can do for you on the price. I'd be very surprised if a discount wasn't forthcoming as they're already saving a packet on fees by cutting out the middle man.

There's nothing better than the spoken word in getting the price down. I dread to think all the emails watch dealers get with, "what's your best price?" time wasters.

A WTB, or waiting for one to show up on SC would probably be a little cheaper, but dealers will, naturally, almost always be more expensive.

In your position, I'd give them a call.

Model A17360 is the earlier 42mm Steelfish yes ? Same case as standard superocean

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Imagine the fees eBay and PayPal charge to sell via the website.

Give them a phone with your card at the ready, and see what they can do for you on the price. I'd be very surprised if a discount wasn't forthcoming as they're already saving a packet on fees by cutting out the middle man.

There's nothing better than the spoken word in getting the price down. I dread to think all the emails watch dealers get with, "what's your best price?" time wasters.

A WTB, or waiting for one to show up on SC would probably be a little cheaper, but dealers will, naturally, almost always be more expensive.

In your position, I'd give them a call.
    Ebay charges a 10% final value fee to a maximum of £75, then there's the 3.5% PayPal fee so on £1600 that's a fee of £131. Not that much really, but then again, not to be sniffed at if you can get it knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ebay charges a 10% final value fee to a maximum of £75, then there's the 3.5% PayPal fee so on £1600 that's a fee of £131. Not that much really, but then again, not to be sniffed at if you can get it knocked off.
    Not any more.

Final Value fees for watches have changed. On a £1695 watch, final value fee alone is £169.39 for a private seller. You still have the paypal fees of £57.83 to pay too. Granted, business sellers pay less (as I imagine the dealer in question would be).

Craftsman
    Not any more.

Final Value fees for watches have changed. On a £1695 watch, final value fee alone is £169.39 for a private seller. You still have the paypal fees of £57.83 to pay too. Granted, business sellers pay less (as I imagine the dealer in question would be).
    This is correct, however Mark Worthington will have a business eBay account which means they only pay about £40...

Again ebays crazy policies

Not any more.

Jesus - when did this happen? Glad I haven't sold anything above the £750 bracket or I would have had a nasty surprise.

Thanks for the correction and heads up.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Model A17360 is the earlier 42mm Steelfish yes ? Same case as standard superocean
    Yup - and as rare as rocking horse poo. Had one, stupidly sold it as I sipped darling-brand Kool-aid! Now they go for double or more. They only made a few thousand, even though it wasn't limited-edition type stuff.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Has the place on the bay given them a service and was it a Breitling one. I think this would make a big difference.