closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So I've been thinking, 3 watches to end all searching...?

So I've been thinking, 3 watches to end all searching...?

I've been through a lot of watches over the last 7 years, from prices in the hundreds to many many thousands.

In 2014 my collection hit a peak of 11 high end watches and I was content for a short while, then we saw the house of our dreams and the calculator came out. I reckoned half of my watches I rarely if ever wore and it would be comforting to have the cash in the bank, so those were sold. Then the house search went cold but the watch focus still didn't hit the top of the priority list, I quite liked having this cash harvesting goal, so more watches are up for the chop. Down to a few Rolex, an Aerospace and my JLC PC.

My question is now, what do I want to buy to end all wants, at least until the house project is at a close.

I absolutely adore the Platinum Daytona, I love the metal, the weight and density, the ceramic bezel and beautiful blue dial. It has no date though as with all Daytona's so something else must join it in the collection.

Bring on Patek Philippe with the new 5960/1 steel annual calendar perpetual. I reckon £65k will buy both. Perhaps keep my favourite Rolex, the SD4000 too and then that would be the perfect 3...;)

On my wrist:-

Craftsman
    Erm now that's a watch collection.
    I'm not too sure on that Daytona dosent do anything for me.

Wow...that's some box of tricks!

Wow, quite an envious position to be in. I would probably go for the Patek 5960P with grey dial instead, combined with a WG Daytona with the panda dial. Those 2 combined with your BLNR would be a dream trio IMO. Keep us posted!

Master
    I'm liking your general direction Jacob but I'd go for the rose gold Daytona with chocolate dial and a different dial colour on the Patek and have it on leather grey most likely

with the money I've saved you on the Daytona id pick this up aswell 😀

http://watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%20Phi...A/0/item/41697

Rather you than me. I'd have the GMT ceramic in your watch box and that's it.

Master
    Looks like it could be a pretty great 3.

The platinum daytona seems to be done deal in your head given the words and picks, which is all good.

Not sure about the 5980 though. Very blingy bracelet and at that price there are a few interesting choices. Have you seen one in real life yet ?

Then the SD4000 as a beater.

Great to have such choices !

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post

My question is now, what do I want to buy to end all wants
    You can't buy your way out of wants. Just my 2p/ Either you want out, or you don't.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Moser Perpetual moonphase, SD400 plus one other :)

Dave's right, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    You can't buy your way out of wants. Just my 2p/ Either you want out, or you don't.
    I don't want out, I've been through a lot of watches in the last 7 years, and enjoyed the process immensely.

I'm at a stage in life though where priorities in terms of time and finance are elsewhere, and I'm finding I'm wearing one or two watches 90% of the time. One of these is my SD4000 which I could probably live with for a while as an only watch.

The other is my JLC PC which is having very little wrist time due to the fact that the latest crop of JLC are more fragile than previously and so I save it for when I'm in a suit.

It therefore seems sensible to condense the collection in to 3 pieces that will get more wear etc.

98% of my watches don't get worn. Some of them I haven't even tried on. I still enjoy having them though . I gave up long ago thinking that something had to get wrist time to be a 'valid' part of the collection. It just bemuses me on here when people start threads on which watches to choose in order to stop choosing watches.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    98% of my watches don't get worn. Some of them I haven't even tried on. I still enjoy having them though . I gave up long ago thinking that something had to get wrist time to be a 'valid' part of the collection. It just bemuses me on here when people start threads on which watches to choose in order to stop choosing watches.
    Thats because you are a collector, and take enjoyment from simply owning and periodically looking at your collection. I on the other hand, cannot display my wares so they stay in the safe, if I don't wear them I don't seek them and don't reap any pleasure from them.

For or me, the calculation is simple, what I don't wear and enjoy, move on for something that I will.

I honestly cannot challenge you on your choices- the three watches you have in mind are stunning and would make a fantastic collection.

A slight variance on these three would be a subc, the gold and chocolate ceramic daytona and maybe a 5711?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I honestly cannot challenge you on your choices- the three watches you have in mind are stunning and would make a fantastic collection.

A slight variance on these three would be a subc, the gold and chocolate ceramic daytona and maybe a 5711?
    Thanks Thom, I actually was going to plump for a rose gold Daytona with the ceramic bezel but found the dial barely legible and that gold doesn't suit my skin tone. White gold Daytonas are lovely but the bezels are ding and scratch magnets, hence I was pushed towards the plat model...

I have a subC LV and prefer the SD so that sways that one and in respect of the 5711, I'm a big fan of the 5726 but it is a fragile ish watch (bezel is a scratch magnet and the bracelet is quite thin) and I just don't see it as a day to day proposition quite like the 5960 in steel.

Thanks Thom, I actually was going to plump for a rose gold Daytona with the ceramic bezel but found the dial barely legible and that gold doesn't suit my skin tone. White gold Daytonas are lovely but the bezels are ding and scratch magnets, hence I was pushed towards the plat model... I have a subC LV and prefer the SD so that sways that one and in respect of the 5711, I'm a big fan of the 5726 but it is a fragile ish watch (bezel is a scratch magnet and the bracelet is quite thin) and I just don't see it as a day to day proposition quite like the 5960 in steel.
    Seems like you've covered all of the bases (and put a lot more thought into it than I have!) :) like I said, can't fault your three choices. Just looking forward to the 'incoming' post now...

In the flesh, the platinum daytona is unbelievably nice, but a very expensive watch.

Banned
    A great trio for sure! I might be tempted though to skip the patek and get something more special - a dress watch made for me by dufour or smith or another of the great independents perhaps?

My thinking goes that you already have the fancy and versatile sports watches taken care of with the two Rolexes so why not go for something altogether different rather than another sports watch? Something thats truly special and unique for 'best' if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Moser Perpetual moonphase, SD400 plus one other :)

Last edited by learningtofly; 1st December 2014 at 22:55.

Master
    No doubt these are great choices Jacob but my opinions stand at this...

Platinum Daytona is no better than a steel one. It's gorgeous of course, but it isn't a "true" Daytona. Steel will always be best for these. Any other metal is just a statement or footballer piece.

PP. Never owned one. I've considered it but never gone down that route. There was a gorgeous moon phase on SC recently but that IS Patek in my eyes. The watch you've pictured is nice, of course, but could be a Chrono from any brand. I've seen it in reality and it stirred me more than in photos, but still didn't look special enough to me personally. Nicer than the nautilus though.

The SDc. Great watch but for me, I ended up finding it heavy so I had to sell it.

You'll make your choices not by asking what people think of these watches, but by trying them on and knowing instantly if they warrant such an investment. Whatever you choose, I hope I'm invited for a brew to see 'em :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    A great trio for sure! I might be tempted though to skip the patek and get something more special - a dress watch made for me by dufour or smith or another of the great independents perhaps?

My thinking goes that you already have the fancy and versatile sports watches taken care of with the two Rolexes so why not go for something altogether different rather than another sports watch? Something thats truly special and unique for 'best' if you know what i mean.
    Interesting observations Josh, I find dressier watches beautiful and have had a number but find that I rarely wear them. I like to feel the weight of a watch, feel a robust case, with substantial lugs and some depth, sportier watches usually tick these boxes.

The steel Daytona has weedier lugs than the precious metal versions. That really bothered me to the extent that I had two steel Daytona and moved both on.

I lusted after the JLC perpetual calendar for years but I find that I rarely wear it. Shame as it's beautiful. My Rolex watches and SD especially get all the wear as they are so practical for everyday wear.

I'm far from set on this course of action but my view is slowly being resolved.

Jacob. You've nearly got it. But you already have 2 of the 3 ....the SDc and the LV.

Add the 5960 and you will be happy

The plat Daytona a trinket !!! Keeping the LV adds a bit of colour variety. That PP is so you...and when you get it I will finally let you borrow the 5712 (whilst I mind the 5960).... So hurry up !!!!
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 1st December 2014 at 00:50.

Banned
    Interesting observations Josh, I find dressier watches beautiful and have had a number but find that I rarely wear them. I like to feel the weight of a watch, feel a robust case, with substantial lugs and some depth, sportier watches usually tick these boxes.

The steel Daytona has weedier lugs than the precious metal versions. That really bothered me to the extent that I had two steel Daytona and moved both on.

I lusted after the JLC perpetual calendar for years but I find that I rarely wear it. Shame as it's beautiful. My Rolex watches and SD especially get all the wear as they are so practical for everyday wear.

I'm far from set on this course of action but my view is slowly being resolved.
    i hear you. When might you wear that patek then?

I personally agree with Josh that an alternative dress watch would be the better choice but as you are not fond of dress watches I would stick with the Daytona which is stunning. The Patek does little for me but the final choice of course is yours.

I think it bridges the whole dress/sports divide Josh, don't you agree?

Banned
    i can see what youre getting at, but tbh for me its a sports watch.

Its too dainty to be a proper sports watch (which is why it comes closer to being dress) but too sporty to be a dress watch. So i suppose some might see it as the perfect solution but im afraid i see it as neither quite here nor there.

Now, clearly there is place for such watches and it is lovely but im not sure in a 3 to end all collection is where my choice would go.

But thats just my perspective and i completely accept that other oerspectives are just as valid!

Banned
    Great choices Jacob!

However, I think there is great confusion in respect of the dress watch. I mean, seriously, how many functions do we attend whereby a dress watch is the 'correct' attire?

These days, at work in a suit and double cuff, a Rolex sports watch (or similar) is certainly not out of place. The great thing about such a watch, is you could slip into jeans and tee shirt and it still looks fine. A dinner suit and you'd just get away with it too.

Then again, the typical dress watch doesn't imho do the dual role thing.

So, get a selection by all means, but if you want a dual watch, I'd say a more sporty PP (Nautilus?), or something like a VC Overseas. Alternatively, ones which serve their specific purpose and a good travel case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would keep what you have,and forget the house

Thats because you are a collector, and take enjoyment from simply owning and periodically looking at your collection. I on the other hand, cannot display my wares so they stay in the safe, if I don't wear them I don't seek them and don't reap any pleasure from them.

For or me, the calculation is simple, what I don't wear and enjoy, move on for something that I will.
    I didn't quite follow the bit about not being able to "display your wares so they stay in the safe............what I don't wear and enjoy, move on for something that I will" with spending £65k on two watches which I assume by your own definition you would wear otherwise why buy them. Not looking to be critical just didn't quite add up for me.

Anyway to the main point.

If we take as a given that you keep the SD400 then I would consider looking outside the main stream for the other two, Moser and Lange come immediately to mind. I too would also suggest the case for the independents though they are less easy to source, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I do like a good dress watch though...and it can be a "special occasion" piece too without defeating the object.
    So for me I think I'd not try to mix and match in one single watch but would have a special occasion watch that was just for that, special occasions.
    I don't think a steel Rolex (super as they are for many things) really pulls that off, IMHO.
    So something like a Patek Calatrava, traditional VC, perhaps...
    Then again I like to go a little further off the beaten path and my dress watch is a slim line solid gold Ball...so I clearly know nothing about watches.

Master
    For something which fulfils the dress watch requirement very ably, but also has enough interest about it to make it work as a casual watch, I'd go for the JLC Duometre. Fascinating complications and details, and I reckon it'd be pretty versatile too.

Craftsman
    You could probably have this discussion about every watch . . . But I am surprised you haven't included the Moonwatch as a keeper?

Three stunning choices . . . Particularly the Daytona!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    For something which fulfils the dress watch requirement very ably, but also has enough interest about it to make it work as a casual watch, I'd go for the JLC Duometre. Fascinating complications and details, and I reckon it'd be pretty versatile too.
    Iv'e tried this on acouple of time, beautiful watch but it does wear big and yellow or pink gold just doesn't seem to suit me.

Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    You could probably have this discussion about every watch . . . But I am surprised you haven't included the Moonwatch as a keeper?

Three stunning choices . . . Particularly the Daytona!!
    I just tired of winding it all the time, it was the 35th anniversary edition but didn't really gel at all sadly.

Anyway funds are in place but I don't know whether I can take the plunge, down to 'just' three Rolex now. But I reckon the SD, LV and BLNR offer enough variation for the moment.

Jacob, you have had some excellent watches. I have one of your old ones ;)

Your definitely seem to like your dress watches. In that case, you need either another Glashutte (possible their PC in a precious metal?). But if I was you I'd go with Tony's suggestion and get a Moser in platinum. Absolutely stunning watches....

Apprentice
    absolutely beautiful watches.....some real artistry there. I am sooooooo jealous

want to swap a couple for a tired old Tag - I will even throw in a bottle of Scotch?

Banned
    Do have a think on this kind of proposition:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...an-Independent