closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AAAAARRRRGHHHHH! 20 weeks for a simple handwind service from JLC...

Journeyman

Angry AAAAARRRRGHHHHH! 20 weeks for a simple handwind service from JLC...

Well, the Reverso Classique is losing a little time and needs cla plus a case polish - simple job. Certainly sir, £440 and twenty weeks to do it. Not enough watch technicians apparently.

Hey ho.

Should've gone to http://www.watchworks.co.uk/about-us.html

Quite possibly where yours is being actually sent before they hand to you with a bill of twice the actual cost.

Master
    Service (or the lack of it) like this is what makes the secondhand market in some brands so unattractive and resultant depreciation frightening.

I am often asked why I won't touch some brands at any price, but if one cannot provide a reasonable level of after-sales service they are simply more trouble than they are worth.

Other brands have quoted up to a year for a service. I hope you get your watch back in lovely shape and that the weeks pass quickly. Wouldn't it be great if you could book your watch in for a certain date? It is irritating to think that your watch may in fact spend much of its time away from you simply sitting around, having nothing done to it.

Haywood M

Patek

Handed watch in in September. Have just heard it will be ready at the end of February 2015 and as there are no problems with the watch it will be just £1315 please.

Well, depending on age (ie warranty implications), you could send it to Duncan at Genesis. He always does great work on my vintage pieces, and has the added benefit of 'booking' you in, so you only send the watch when he's actually ready to work on it. As such it's usually back on my wrist within a week to 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    Handed watch in in September. Have just heard it will be ready at the end of February 2015 and as there are no problems with the watch it will be just £1315 please.
    That's nuts....and why I won't be buying one.

- - - Updated - - -

That's nuts....and why I won't be buying one.

Journeyman

That's interesting - please will you send me his contact details...

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Well, depending on age (ie warranty implications), you could send it to Duncan at Genesis. He always does great work on my vintage pieces, and has the added benefit of 'booking' you in, so you only send the watch when he's actually ready to work on it. As such it's usually back on my wrist within a week to 10 days.
    I have a couple of watches that need some TLC - a WW2 army issue Ebel (which is the most beautiful case and dial I own), and a Glycine KMU 48, both of which need some help...

Thanks in advance

Toodlepip

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Should've gone to http://www.watchworks.co.uk/about-us.html

Quite possibly where yours is being actually sent before they hand to you with a bill of twice the actual cost.
    Really?
    last time I tried to get Rocco to service a vintage jlc he turned it down on parts basis .. He had done a more modern (818 based) one a few years prior though ...

al

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    Really?
    last time I tried to get Rocco to service a vintage jlc he turned it down on parts basis .. He had done a more modern (818 based) one a few years prior though ...

al
    Same for me with a vintage Bretling and for the same reason. They did email to apologise to be fair.
    Had it fixed elsewhere without issue,

Banned
    I would not entertain JLC, their watches do nothing for me and the service lead times\prices are dreadful.

Banned
    My Mint needs no polishing Breitling Emergency has been away 6 weeks, all it needs is the first service and battery change.

But it's quartz WTF is there to service.

should be ready for dispatch 12th Dec

Banned
    My Mint needs no polishing Yellow Breitling Emergency has been away 6 weeks all it needs is the first service and battery change.

I took the bracelet off when I bought it and put a yellow/black Breitling strap on it, so they don't have to strip that down to clean and refinish,that's mint as well.

But it's quartz WTF is there to service.

should be ready for dispatch 12th Dec

You know what, that's just wrong. There's no way they could justify that charge if you asked them to break it down on a time and motion and parts basis. Absolute highway robbers but as long as there are people willing to pay it....

Blog Entries
    Someone is even hoping the weeks will pass quickly for the OP...............!

So, now big parts your life should be over in an instant to forget the pain of a watch service?

Well, forgive me for trying to enjoy my life to the max, even with a watch being serviced.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Unforgivable, so I can see why Quartz watches looked so attractive way back when you see this sort of price gouging and restrictive supply of parts going on. However, it is rather like owning a top end car and complaining about the cost of service and spares. Comes with the territory but at least you would get a loaner car from the garage to tide you over! :-)

Ill stick with my throw aways :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodlepip View Post
    Well, the Reverso Classique is losing a little time and needs cla plus a case polish - simple job. Certainly sir, £440 and twenty weeks to do it. Not enough watch technicians apparently.

Hey ho.
    The silver lining is that 20 weeks is long enough to justify buying something new to wear while you wait :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Unforgivable, so I can see why Quartz watches looked so attractive way back when you see this sort of price gouging and restrictive supply of parts going on.
    I have a GS 9F61 an a Vostok 2415 engined watch as beaters.
    The former will only need a 2€ battery I can replace myself in 5 mins every 3 yeras for decennia to come and the latter I will leave alone till it is knackered and then I will replace it with a new engine costing 22,50€* (when bought/paid in rubles) on line.

Apart from service costs and times, I would hardly dare wearing a watch with spares on ration and costing exorbitant price. Just imagine cracking the window or damaging the crown; ieeeeek.

Lastly; the cost of maintenance and repair over the service interval gets more ludicrous still the longer it is out of action.

All in all 'in house' is being given rather serious negatives by those luxury brands.

* the two shipping options are 8€ airmail signed for or for free surface mail...

p.s. gf has suggested a romantic night on the sofa in front of the wood fire instead of going out to Granada. She has just saved several movements worth even at the cheerfully low spanish cost of going out.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 28th November 2014 at 23:27.

Journeyman

Interesting thought...

Quote Originally Posted by bondguru View Post
    The silver lining is that 20 weeks is long enough to justify buying something new to wear while you wait :)
    ...unfortunately it's my wife's watch...

Truly, the days of having only one watch are over...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool ...or a Vostok

Quote Originally Posted by Toodlepip View Post

Truly, the days of having only one watch are over...
    Not when you get yourself/wife a post 1970 tech one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Unforgivable, so I can see why Quartz watches looked so attractive way back when you see this sort of price gouging and restrictive supply of parts going on. However, it is rather like owning a top end car and complaining about the cost of service and spares. Comes with the territory but at least you would get a loaner car from the garage to tide you over! :-)
    Well it comes with some territory, but a few brands get it right. I'm surprised to hear how slow Breitling is about replacing the battery in an Emergency; I've used them three times in ten years (one service, one estimate and one out-of-warranty problem which they addressed FOC anyway) and even the full service took only three weeks. I get the impression that Rolex is pretty snappy too. 20 weeks from JLC sounds like something I'd never tolerate.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Can't say that I'm stunned as authorised service centres aren't exactly well known for their cheapness or speedy service.

Reading this thread I am reminded to get my old ETA driven Oris diver serviced whilst Cousins still have the parts available.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Apart from service costs and times, I would hardly dare wearing a watch with spares on ration and costing exorbitant price. Just imagine cracking the window or damaging the crown; ieeeeek.

Lastly; the cost of maintenance and repair over the service interval gets more ludicrous still the longer it is out of action.
    The simultaneous implementation of ETA's policy of restricted parts availability also needs to be factored into any market predictions.

Just imagine how angry a non-WIS is going to be when told that his non-Swatch Group three year old ETA driven mechanical watch can't be repaired owing to the unavailability of movement parts - particularly when the promise of longevity was an innate part of the initial attraction.

It might be enough to drive me into the arms of Rolex (something I would never have written 3 years ago) but it might turn many away from mechanicals altogether.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 29th November 2014 at 11:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb and a perfectly ok soviet automatic movement costs <20£

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    The simultaneous implementation of ETA's policy of restricted parts availability also needs to be factored into any market predictions.
    The move by Hayek is the root of it actually.
    The whole 'in house' thing with resulting monopolies is a result of his forward thinking. His move to restrict ETA availability is in effect yet again increasing margins of the Swiss luxury watch industry big time.
    The most brilliant thing is that wis actually thought and still think it is a good thing for THEM...

Yes, MY writings are crazed I know

The most brilliant thing is that wis actually thought and still think it is a good thing for THEM...

Yes, MY writings are crazed I know
    My attitude towards my mechanicals has hardened - I'm just going to run them into the ground. I'm 52 next year and figure that I'll have to be really unlucky for my twenty something mechanicals all to break down before I'm through!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    My attitude towards my mechanicals has hardened - I'm just going to run them into the ground. I'm 52 next year and figure that I'll have to be really unlucky for my twenty something mechanicals all to break down before I'm through!
    Good for you.
    Also get yourself a nice beater with a 2824-2 or, if you REALLY want to set yourself free, a Vostok 2415/16 automatic with a spare movement. It will set you back 50 quid AND be in-house with real heritage.

Good for you.
    Also get yourself a nice beater with a 2824-2 or, if you REALLY want to set yourself free, a Vostok 2415/16 automatic with a spare movement. It will set you back 50 quid AND be in-house with real heritage.
    Thanks Huertecilla - But I wasn't thinking of living THAT long!
    Last edited by forpetesake; 29th November 2014 at 19:02.