closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos

Journeyman
    Very good review! Was on the fence between a BB and the pelagos for my next watch. Your review definitely helped.

Do you think the new version of the Pelagos with the in-house movement will be more expensive?

Only $275 more than the original as it turns out, so not that much more.

There's a new hands on via ABtW too:
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-pe...ment=285459733

Great review - your 4th picture does it for me (probably the lume that stands out), thinking about making this my summer watch.

Journeyman
    Do you think I should go for a pre-owned or is it really worth it going for a new piece?
    If pre-owned, how far back should I look? 1-2 years? And is this a good rule of thumb for other watches (other than vintage of course!)

My first time buying a watch this expensive :)

Quote Originally Posted by paddyp View Post
    Great review - your 4th picture does it for me (probably the lume that stands out), thinking about making this my summer watch.
    The lume is just brilliant :D I know there are other divers out there with equally bright lume, maybe even brighter, but I feel the Pelagose does it in a way that it stands out for all the right reasons :p

Quote Originally Posted by franbedoya007 View Post
    Do you think I should go for a pre-owned or is it really worth it going for a new piece?
    If pre-owned, how far back should I look? 1-2 years? And is this a good rule of thumb for other watches (other than vintage of course!)

My first time buying a watch this expensive :)
    It really depends on the price. I can't imagine the original one falling drastically in price just because the movement has changed to in house and COSC, the RRP difference between both pieces brand new isn't huge either so used price differences will be even smaller no doubt. It's the watch and its engineering merits that account for the bulk of the cost I'd say.

If you find a used one at a good price, even if it's a bit scratched, then go for it. You can always send it in to service a year or two down the line and have it returned to you looking like new.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi Robbie, nice to see you over here,

I agree with everything you have said, and I am currently sitting on the fence over whether to buy new or second hand, I prefer the 'original' model myself.

see you on the other side

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Hi Robbie, nice to see you over here,

I agree with everything you have said, and I am currently sitting on the fence over whether to buy new or second hand, I prefer the 'original' model myself.

see you on the other side
    Hey dood! I'm mostly a lurker apart from here and there I guess :p

Great watch i love mine.

Want one

Liked the review so much I had to have one.

Great review and like many others on here its a brand i have never looked at or knew much about. I own a SubC but i just don't feel comfortable wearing it during the day as its supposed to be worn. I can see me selling the Rolex to buy one of these watches as i would feel more comfortable wearing it. Only thing is do i get the ETA or In House movement, only thing about the in house movement ones are the extra text they have placed on the dial which i feel is a bit much and detracts form the clean dial face...

Hmm time to do some research...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Great review and like many others on here its a brand i have never looked at or knew much about. I own a SubC but i just don't feel comfortable wearing it during the day as its supposed to be worn. I can see me selling the Rolex to buy one of these watches as i would feel more comfortable wearing it. Only thing is do i get the ETA or In House movement, only thing about the in house movement ones are the extra text they have placed on the dial which i feel is a bit much and detracts form the clean dial face...

Hmm time to do some research...
    You can always buy first gen which will be also probably discounted. In-house means higher servicing costs but you have Sub so you are aware of that.
    Black Bay is better than Pelagos, at least for me.

On the other hand, great review for reading on my day off. Thanks

Great photos and review; thanks! I was looking at one of these in Goldsmiths; and I love it's clean look. Definitely on my list and the little bracelet details make it stand apart for me. One day

Craftsman
    Great review

Cheers guys! Glad to see so many people have a fondness for this watch!

Recently got a couple more Nato straps from different makers to check them out, mostly based on recommendations from a couple mates.

This one came the other day, from Nato Strap Company, it's the BMW M-Tech style with stitched joins, seems good quality, about as thin as a Maratac but not as rigid, though good quality weave so won't go all bendy and fray at the holes from what I can tell. The stitching adds a nice look and it actually looks great in the flesh, matches my car a bit too :p

the 2nd is a dark Olive Nato from Monkey Swag. Not arrived yet, I imagine it will come tomorrow. That appears to be heavier in thickness and also has stitched joins. I expect these two will replace the Maratac and TZ ones mentioned earlier in the trhead as I managed to damage them in a "DIY shortening project" shall we say :p

The Pelagos itself is still going strong. accuracy is settling in every couple months and is now about +5-6 seconds a day whereas it was around +8 seconds. After a full year I expect it will have settled to +3-4. Perhaps even reach the HydroConquest's +1-2

Craftsman
    Wow, great pictures and I really enjoy hearing about the decision process - it's the most enjoyable side of these posts.

Clearly this is another watch to throw into my Speed Pro vs Explorer 1 decision FIGHT (Harry Hill style) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Wow, great pictures and I really enjoy hearing about the decision process - it's the most enjoyable side of these posts.

Clearly this is another watch to throw into my Speed Pro vs Explorer 1 decision FIGHT (Harry Hill style) ;-)
    Hey thanks! It will certainly be a quality fight and I'm sure you will make the right choice :)

Apprentice
    Great review with some excellent photography.

I am looking to add a couple of watches to my collection and this is one of the watches I am looking at to use as a daily. I think I prefer the current version with less text on the dial but do you think there will be discounts available on the current version when the new version with in house movement is available? I don't want to buy one now to find the prices discounted in a couple of months!

Maybe wait until the new one is out although the current one has not shifted in price at all at ADs since release, even today I saw it in another AD and it was still the same price as when I bought mine many months back.

I imagine it will drop a bit in price although ADs will simply EOL it and replace it with the new version instead. So your choices of buying a new old one will be from other retailers/etailer who still have stock to sell - Perhaps they will drop the price a bit I don't know!

Craftsman
    Great review.

Very interesting and a detailed review!

Thanks! Good to see folks still reading it too!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiekhan View Post
    The lume is just brilliant :D I know there are other divers out there with equally bright lume, maybe even brighter, but I feel the Pelagose does it in a way that it stands out for all the right reasons :p

It really depends on the price. I can't imagine the original one falling drastically in price just because the movement has changed to in house and COSC, the RRP difference between both pieces brand new isn't huge either so used price differences will be even smaller no doubt. It's the watch and its engineering merits that account for the bulk of the cost I'd say.

If you find a used one at a good price, even if it's a bit scratched, then go for it. You can always send it in to service a year or two down the line and have it returned to you looking like new.

Got one. Am the happiest person. Definitely considering throwing in a Nato strap on it after seeing the last few pictures.

Journeyman
    Thanks! Good to see folks still reading it too!
    That Nato strap tho

I actually have a few NATOs on rotation!

This week has been the bracelet though.

I can definitely rceommend Monkeyswag NATOs for a viable and cheaper alternative to Maratac. More colour choices too.

Craftsman
    I read this thread through a dozen times. The great pictures tempted me. Just had one arrive. I love it!

Well my job here is done!*

*I wish that was my job :( :p

Craftsman
    You should apply for a job with Hodinkee Robbie..

Does anyone else think the Pelagos looks a bit odd on a nato? When viewed from the side the gap between the strap and the top of watch looks huge..

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    You should apply for a job with Hodinkee Robbie..

Does anyone else think the Pelagos looks a bit odd on a nato? When viewed from the side the gap between the strap and the top of watch looks huge..
    Hmm can never hurt to enquire I guess!

Do you mean the gap left by the lack of end link, so from springbar/nato to the bezel? Like this:

It is a big gap but I think it works, the case side is beautifully brushed satin so looks pretty cool. It's a thick watch though of course! but due to the way the case is shaped, it doesn't feel bulky on a Nato I'd say, but others may disagree as it is a personal preference I guess :)

Craftsman
    That's it Robbie! It surprised me seeing that much metal. I liked it on a nato, not sure about the rubber at the moment.

You had any thoughts about getting the new version?

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    That's it Robbie! It surprised me seeing that much metal. I liked it on a nato, not sure about the rubber at the moment.

You had any thoughts about getting the new version?
    I was interested until I saw the new dial with 5 lines of text :( That's just a bit too much for my liking in a watch I'm wearing daily and looking at, not only to tell the time but to admire the details and minimalism around the piece.

I am more than happy to keep the original for as long as possible though!

Following on, I had 5 Natos delivered today, 2x Perlon and 2x vintage style leather (Rhino and Saddle) as well as a classic Bond just because it had to be done. Both the leather ones are exquisite!

Pic of the Rhino:

Bought from CNS straps.

looks great can i ask which colour that one is? looks like either the saddle vintage or espresso vintage?

That is the Rhino :)

The Saddle Vintage I have too, it's darker brown.

Pic of the lot:

Great review!
    Are Tudors getting the twice yearly price rise like Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    Great review!
    Are Tudors getting the twice yearly price rise like Rolex?
    Tudor haven't had a price rise since their relaunch in the UK a couple of years ago and Rolex haven't had a UK price rise for at least three years so I'm not sure where you get your twice yearly rises from!

Don't think so! The Pelagos was £2800~ in ADs when I got mine several months ago, checking right now, it's still the same price! Some will be able to haggle a better price too with the new model coming out in the summer.

Yeah.....eatons in derby just said they'd do me one for £2500 (old movement).....someone mentioned on another thread that beaverbrooks will go to £2300.....
    Was hoping to compare it with a sub but they had none in

Must say its a beautiful watch.....I'm surprised how light it is!!

Go for blue pelagos, or black, or hold out a while and buy a sub?.....hmmm

The blue does look nice, just a shame the old dial version won't feature in blue.

Still a nice watch.. but I sold mine since it had a few issues...

The endlinks made noises if I moved my wrist. Went to an AD to complain, but he said it is in the tolerance...

The bracelet hat also some gaps between the pressed links, the links before the one you can replace.

It ran also with about 5s plus / day. That is ok, but not more than that!

So counting that together, for me no more Pelagos!

Craftsman
    That is the Rhino :)

The Saddle Vintage I have too, it's darker brown.

Pic of the lot:

That's a lovely case, everything fits so well!

Thanks! £15 from John lewis that :)

Journeyman
    Given that Tudor are launching a blue Pelagos - I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a blue bezel to add to a black Pelagos ?

IMO - I think that could be a great 'look'... ( blue BB bezel on black face looks good )

For me the all blue Pelagos is a bit too much (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by alfaman View Post
    Given that Tudor are launching a blue Pelagos - I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a blue bezel to add to a black Pelagos ?

IMO - I think that could be a great 'look'... ( blue BB bezel on black face looks good )

For me the all blue Pelagos is a bit too much (blue)

Hmm I don't know if they sell the bezel on its own, perhaps a word with an AD but I imagine it won't be cheap, being matte ceramic and Titanium + all lumed markers. Might look intereting though, maybe I can photoshop one of my pics to see what it would look like, will edit this post with pic if I am successful.

Edit*

Hmm, what do you guys think?

Last edited by robbiekhan; 28th July 2015 at 10:04.

Great review and pics! Beautiful watch, Thanks!

Blue pelagos arriving at my AD tomorrow if anyone is interested PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Blue pelagos arriving at my AD tomorrow if anyone is interested PM me.
    FH Milton Keynes had them in yesterday but to be honest I preferred the black dial (ETA model)

Actually surprised myself and left really liking the Tudor North Flag

Craftsman
    Selfridges have the new and old black dial on display side by side. Prior to seeing them I was convinced that I would prefer the old version, but I left liking the new one more.

Craftsman
    Following on, I had 5 Natos delivered today, 2x Perlon and 2x vintage style leather (Rhino and Saddle) as well as a classic Bond just because it had to be done. Both the leather ones are exquisite!

Pic of the Rhino:

Bought from CNS straps.
    I've got a few leather Natos, but none as nice as this one. Does anybody know if there's anyone in the UK selling them? Or are they bespoke from the USA?