closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Uk Omega Dealers getting a bit up themselves?

Master

Are the Uk Omega Dealers getting a bit up themselves?

I have a couple of Omegas including a 9300 Speedmaster but my recent experiences with Omegas UK dealers leaves me with serious doubts about ever buying another, the Boutique in Leeds treated me as if I had just come in on the bottom of someones shoe and the one in Oxford Street on Saturday wouldn't even let me in the shop, I tried the door then the idiot on the door said we open about 11 or 12, but as it was after 11 I said "so when are you opening" he got a strop on and sent me on my way. It saved me a few quid because I was going to buy a DSOM.

Contrast that with Watches of Switzerland in Regent Street where I went after, Both Jakir with Panerai and Mark in Patek both were more than helpful and courteous and will be getting another visit and order.

It might be just me, but it has wound me up a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I have a couple of Omegas including a 9300 Speedmaster but my recent experiences with Omegas UK dealers leaves me with serious doubts about ever buying another, the Boutique in Leeds treated me as if I had just come in on the bottom of someones shoe and the one in Oxford Street on Saturday wouldn't even let me in the shop, I tried the door then the idiot on the door said we open about 11 or 12, but as it was after 11 I said "so when are you opening" he got a strop on and sent me on my way. It saved me a few quid because I was going to buy a DSOM.

Contrast that with Watches of Switzerland in Regent Street where I went after, Both Jakir with Panerai and Mark in Patek both were more than helpful and courteous and will be getting another visit and order.

It might be just me, but it has wound me up a bit.
    Ho-hum, some days we all get it wrong.......though some do it more often !

Would heartily recommend Charles Fox in Bournemouth : lovely people, ask for Simon Snell and mention my name if you are in that part of the world.

Hope that wherever you go you get what you want, with the service you rightly expect.

With kind regards,

Haywood Milton

Craftsman
    I would say with regards to the oxford street branch you got a bad experience. I wouldn't judge a whole branch by the doorman if I were you, the staff in there are top notch guys!

Strange because my experience is the opposite, thought WoS near bond street tube were terrible, practically got ignored in there which was a shame.

I had a great experience in Oxford Street a few weeks ago. They were kind, courteous and very helpful. I guess sometimes even a doorman can get out of bed on the wrong side. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, personally I'd give them a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Would heartily recommend Charles Fox in Bournemouth : lovely people, ask for Simon Snell and mention my name if you are in that part of the world.

Hope that wherever you go you get what you want, with the service you rightly expect.

With kind regards,

Haywood Milton
    That's funny because -late this August- they slammed the door in my face at C.Fox way before their stated closing time as I was about to pop in and buy the Mrs a trinket: it's also the shop where a fair few years ago I was offered a new 'just came in this mornings Rolex delivery' s/s Daytona at list plus premium/drink for the salesman who was offering it to me. I remember the look on his face and my companions laughter when I told him to 'poke it up his ar$e'...hmmmm actually maybe I should have seen that shut door coming
    Good hunting
    Joe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    That's funny because -late this August- they slammed the door in my face at C.Fox way before their stated closing time as I was about to pop in and buy the Mrs a trinket: it's also the shop where a fair few years ago I was offered a new 'just came in this mornings Rolex delivery' s/s Daytona at list plus premium/drink for the salesman who was offering it to me. I remember the look on his face and my companions laughter when I told him to 'poke it up his ar$e'...hmmmm actually maybe I should have seen that shut door coming
    Good hunting
    Joe
    Sorry to hear of your experience. I can say only that I have found them a very obliging bunch.
    HM

I wouldn't let a doorman ruin my day,but equally I have no idea why you'tre using ADs to buy Omega watches. There are far better alternatives, any one of the grey market dealers for a start :)

Money down the drain for a lousy experience, why bother?

I have been in Watches of Switzerland on Regent Street a couple of times and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. In stark contrast the Omega boutique, further up the road, is staffed by rude idiots.
    Last edited by Operation Grandslam; 24th November 2014 at 22:58.

I went to the Omega Boutique in Westfield Shepherd's Bush and the solitary staff member was very helpful and attentive, and actually knew stuff about watches. We had a chat about the Lemania 5100 movement used in the old Speedies, and this and that, and he put up with my endless questions like a true stoic.

In total contrast, I popped up the way to Ernest Jones to try on some Tudors and this is the dialogue that ensued:

"Hello, I'd like to try on the Black Bay bracelet, the Pelagos, the Ranger on bracelet and the Grantour silver dial, please"

"I can only bring out 3 watches at a time."

"No problem, whichever 3 come first and then I'll try the other on after."

"Sorry sir we can only show 3 watches to each customer."

"OK, can I try on the BB, the Pelagos, and the Ranger, please?"

"Will you want to try on the Grantour as well?"

"Yes, but only after these 3."

"We can only show 3 watches at one time sir."

"Sorry, am I misunderstanding something? I would like to try on 3 watches please. Then, when you've put those away, I might like to try on 1 more. Will this be OK?"

"Let me just speak to the manager sir"

WTF????

This is the actual conversation I had and I was starting to lose the plot. I don't look like a beggar or a scally thief, I don't smell, usually. I'm in the market to buy a new watch (clearly not from them because I can get it cheaper elsewhere, but they don't know that), and I'm being given the runaround by some guy who's making no sense. It must be my face.

I did eventually get to try them on but asking him questions became an exercise in futility, he didn't even know the prices of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I went to the Omega Boutique in Westfield Shepherd's Bush and the solitary staff member was very helpful and attentive, and actually knew stuff about watches. We had a chat about the Lemania 5100 movement used in the old Speedies, and this and that, and he put up with my endless questions like a true stoic.

In total contrast, I popped up the way to Ernest Jones to try on some Tudors and this is the dialogue that ensued:

"Hello, I'd like to try on the Black Bay bracelet, the Pelagos, the Ranger on bracelet and the Grantour silver dial, please"

"I can only bring out 3 watches at a time."

"No problem, whichever 3 come first and then I'll try the other on after."

"Sorry sir we can only show 3 watches to each customer."

"OK, can I try on the BB, the Pelagos, and the Ranger, please?"

"Will you want to try on the Grantour as well?"

"Yes, but only after these 3."

"We can only show 3 watches at one time sir."

"Sorry, am I misunderstanding something? I would like to try on 3 watches please. Then, when you've put those away, I might like to try on 1 more. Will this be OK?"

"Let me just speak to the manager sir"

WTF????

This is the actual conversation I had and I was starting to lose the plot. I don't look like a beggar or a scally thief, I don't smell, usually. I'm in the market to buy a new watch (clearly not from them because I can get it cheaper elsewhere, but they don't know that), and I'm being given the runaround by some guy who's making no sense. It must be my face.

I did eventually get to try them on but asking him questions became an exercise in futility, he didn't even know the prices of them.
    That is utterly absurd behaviour from the EJ guy. Sorry to hear you came face to face with a live contender for *ucking idiot of the year!

I popped in to the Omega Boutique at the Bullring in Birmingham last week

"Hi, I wonder if you have the new X33 Skywalker in?"
    "I'm sorry? Is that an Omega?"
    "Yes, its your new analogue Digital watch replacing the old discontinued X33....Its NOT the Z33"
    "Ah yes, sorry, its this one you are after (points to a watch)"
    "Nope, sorry, thats the Z33 you are pointing to"
    "Oh, can you find it in the brochure for me" says the sales assistant to me.

I actually found her the page AND pointed out where someone had scrawled in biro "Release due July"

I then explained that I had a Ploprof that I wanted a valuation certificate for insurance purposes.

"Sorry? Whats a Ploprof?" came the reply.

"PLO - PROF" I replied
    "Ah! PLOE-PROFE" came the reply, as if I was pronouncing Plongeur Professional incorrectly!!

"£55 for us to write a certificate for you"

LOL, I left. Local AD doing it for free.

Interesting thread.

A lot of time-wasters (that is what you are, you aren't there to buy as you admit, just waste their time) complaining that ADs don't want to waste their time with you :) OP perhaps excepted as he was apparently going to a buy a very expensive Speedy with a paintjob on a NATO.

Maybe they can see you coming, who knows... Just a thought.

Master
    Another classic from Omega Boutique in Westfield Shepherd's Bush-picking up a watch from service-bill was £590. Handed over card and entered PIN "Oh, its been declined" they said. Bit strange, plenty of money in the account etc and machine said PIN was accepted but anyhow, gave them another card. "That's declined as well sir, don't worry, this often happens when the shopping centre is busy (it wasn't as this was in September not now!) I will try waving it like an idiot at the door" When this fails, they ask rather sheepishly if I just happen to have £590 in cash in my back pocket as that might help!!! Eventually found a machine that worked from somewhere.

Staff were very polite and as I was wearing an SD didn't treat me like dirt which had just been brought in but did wnd up waiting for ages and it also took them several goes to get the invoice right. Goodness knows what would happen if I tried to buy a watch from them (I certainly won't be doing so in the future for several reasons!)

Master
    I've been a customer at both the Bond St and Royal Exchange and I have nothing but praise.
    The first time in Bond St was for a bracelet adjustment which was done FOC, including the supply of 2 new links. I drink whilst I waited, a nice chat with the girls and tried on several watches, despite making it clear I had no intention of buying.
    In Royal Exchange I had a battery changed only for the watch to start losing time again a couple of weeks later. They then recommended a service with the price of the battery 2 weeks previous deducted from the service bill. Once again, a nice chat, a nice drink and a few lovely watches on the wrist whilst I waited.
    Perhaps you caught them on an off day!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Interesting thread.

A lot of time-wasters (that is what you are, you aren't there to buy as you admit, just waste their time) complaining that ADs don't want to waste their time with you :) OP perhaps excepted as he was apparently going to a buy a very expensive Speedy with a paintjob on a NATO.

Ha Ha. Exactly what I was thinking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    I've had a few looks around Watches of Switzerland on Regent Street and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. In stark contrast the Omega boutique, further up the road, is staffed by rude idiots.
    +1. Was at Omega this summer inquiring about a strap for my Speedy and they couldn't have been more rude if they tried. Never again...

Master
    Interesting thread.

I guess that the challenge for all staff in AD's/boutiques etc (as well as car dealers and in fact any retail environment where the purchaser has to commit to a large spend) is to decide who are the "time-wasters" and who are the people who whilst are not currently buying something are likely to in the future. As you say, there is no point AD's wasting their time with the actual time wasters but you are unlikely to be successful if you put off those who will buy something on another visit. What I find interesting is that several of the posters intended to actually spend some money with the retailer on that particular visit and yet were so put off by the service received they actively took their business elsewhere!!! I don't work in retail myself but can't see that being a model for success.

I certainly wasn't wasting anyone's time in my experience above (in that I was guaranteed to spend money with that particular outlet and provided evidence that I was able to do so in future). If I was the retailer in that situation, I would take the opportunity of a captive punter to not only provide excellent service to encourage him/her to return for further service work etc but as an opportunity to offer to show new models etc in the hope of a larger spend at that visit or in the future. The actual result was that I would never again try on/purchase a new Omega from that outlet (or now I think of it, the Regent St one either as they were hopeless on a similar service visit a few years ago) or give them any other business in the future.

In my experience the staff in the Royal Exchange Omega are friendly and reasonably knowledgeable and always happy to help.

I understand the comments regarding potentially being able to spot a "tyre kicker" from 100 paces but, all the same, these guys are paid to provide a service - and a lot of that service involves creating a pleasant experience for the potential customer - regardless of how slim that potential may seem to be.

In a great many "boutiques" much of the time the staff are stood in a nearly empty store for most of the day looking either aloof or gormless.

My wife, after several years, actually decided to leave the management side of the trade simply because it was too slow-paced. They have no excuse.

Master
    I wouldn't let a doorman ruin my day,but equally I have no idea why you'tre using ADs to buy Omega watches. There are far better alternatives, any one of the grey market dealers for a start :)

Money down the drain for a lousy experience, why bother?
    Exactly.... My AT Skyfall £3600 UK price. Nice watch but not at anywhere near that price. Same watch bought from Italian grey dealer £2250 delivered.....

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Exactly.... My AT Skyfall £3600 UK price. Nice watch but not at anywhere near that price. Same watch bought from Italian grey dealer £2250 delivered.....
    Bit ot but I'd be really interested to know the Italian grey dealer you used as I'm after the same watch... :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Bit ot but I'd be really interested to know the Italian grey dealer you used as I'm after the same watch... :)
    You may not want to deal with them following a few threads on here....but it was Virtuoso....:)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    You may not want to deal with them following a few threads on here....but it was Virtuoso....:)
    Thank you, appreciate that :)

Craftsman
    went to the Omega Boutique in Regent's Street last summer to get a few links taken out of my Snoopy bracelet and they couldn't have been nicer. Let me mooch around and try on anything. Even offered me a drink even though I wasn't buying anything. I was very impressed with the service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I popped in to the Omega Boutique at the Bullring in Birmingham last week

"Hi, I wonder if you have the new X33 Skywalker in?"
    "I'm sorry? Is that an Omega?"
    "Yes, its your new analogue Digital watch replacing the old discontinued X33....Its NOT the Z33"
    "Ah yes, sorry, its this one you are after (points to a watch)"
    "Nope, sorry, thats the Z33 you are pointing to"
    "Oh, can you find it in the brochure for me" says the sales assistant to me.

I actually found her the page AND pointed out where someone had scrawled in biro "Release due July"

I then explained that I had a Ploprof that I wanted a valuation certificate for insurance purposes.

"Sorry? Whats a Ploprof?" came the reply.

"PLO - PROF" I replied
    "Ah! PLOE-PROFE" came the reply, as if I was pronouncing Plongeur Professional incorrectly!!

"£55 for us to write a certificate for you"

LOL, I left. Local AD doing it for free.
    LOL! Bullring AD *should* know what a PloProf is by now as I popped in & asked if they had one I could see about a month ago, the blankest expression followed by a 'is that an Omega?' from the sales guy! I cut him some slack as he said he'd only been there 2 weeks and whilst he was stuttering picked up the catalog off the counter and found the page for him...

If its the same guy he obviously did not read it!!!
    Last edited by MrSimba; 24th November 2014 at 23:26.

Craftsman
    Is the omega boutique on Oxford street (junction of bond street) closed? I was past it yesterday and the sign was gone from above the door. They had a load of tissot pictures covering the windows.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Is the omega boutique on Oxford street (junction of bond street) closed? I was past it yesterday and the sign was gone from above the door. They had a load of tissot pictures covering the windows.
    Not sure but will not be surprised. There are 2 boutiques within walking distance and imho knowledge is much less than the other 2.

Master
    Shocking how Omega is trying to move up market with the 'boutique staff' not having the slightest idea as to what it is they are actually selling. I have had similar experiences in the Omega boutique in the Trafford Centre in Manchester where I sometimes have a peek at new models. I really don't like where Omega is going with this and doubt I will buy another Omega new in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    Shocking how Omega is trying to move up market with the 'boutique staff' not having the slightest idea as to what it is they are actually selling. I have had similar experiences in the Omega boutique in the Trafford Centre in Manchester where I sometimes have a peek at new models. I really don't like where Omega is going with this and doubt I will buy another Omega new in the future.
    Im with you on this. The brand and model awareness is atrocious in that store.

Omega are going in an opposite direction to my tastes anyway, however, so no skin off my nose...

Craftsman
    I had a look on google maps to make sure I was in the right place and it changes from omega to ernest jones on street view if you move it off oxford street and on to the side street. I'm pretty certain it is gone, but as you say, with the other two so close it isn't a surprise. More common than Mc Donald's around there!

Master
    To be honest, I still like a lot of Omega watches, however the older model probably more than newer ones (e.g. the Planet Ocean which has gone a little too bling for my taste in the 8500 variant - or the moon watch which has now been 'upgraded' with a super expensive accessory package). I guess I'll keep an eye on the second hand market. What puts me off most particularly in the Trafford Centre store is that the staff seem to have a lot less knowledge about the current product line than I do and I am by no means an expert. I just don't think you can build up a desirable high end brand this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Im with you on this. The brand and model awareness is atrocious in that store.

Omega are going in an opposite direction to my tastes anyway, however, so no skin off my nose...

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

With kind regards,

Haywood Milton
    Also have to say I had a very good experience with Charles Fox in Bournemouth when I bought a second hand AT at a very attractive price earlier this year.
    Couldn't have been more helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

Master
    No complaints about Laing the Jeweller in Frederick Street, Edinburgh. Bought a pre-owned Seamaster quartz from them in May. When it arrived from another store they noticed a few issues with it. I was given the opportunity to cancel the order or they would send it away to Omega for a full service at no additional cost.

I decided to let them send it away. It was only away a month or so and came back looking brand new. Not bad for a watch almost ten years old.

I've tried on a few Speedmasters in their Omega boutique, just a few doors along from their main store. Their sales assistant recognised my FOIS and was really helpful and happy to let me try on several models without any pressure to buy. In fairness, all of their sales assistants in the watch side of the business are well trained and a pleasure to deal with.

Craftsman
    Is that down near Selfridges, but on the opposite side? Spotted it yesterday, but I wasn't sure if it was the case that it had been there a while and I hadn't noticed.

I think the big brands are of the opinion they're untouchable. Double your prices, don't train your staff, treat your customers like drooling simpletons and charge a few hundred quid for NATO straps and buckles. What makes me chuckle are the comments about them basically undoing a few bracelet screws without charging you for the privilege/screwdriver use and everyone says what great service they offer! I'm a big fan of the internet for my watch purchases - you generally get to deal with enthusiasts who actually know what they're doing. Exhibit A - our host Eddie!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    I had a look on google maps to make sure I was in the right place and it changes from omega to ernest jones on street view if you move it off oxford street and on to the side street. I'm pretty certain it is gone, but as you say, with the other two so close it isn't a surprise. More common than Mc Donald's around there!
    If your are talking about the small store on the corner of Oxford St/Davies St, it was an Ernest Jones and became a small Omega boutique after a series of events.

If my memory is correct the Omega Boutique on Regent St open late 2010/early 2011, during that time Omega withdrew their AD and watches but not Longines watches from the bigger Ernest Jones store opposite BHS during the spring of 2011, as well as Leslie Davies that was on Oxford St/Ramilies St. just like what Rolex did. Omega wanted/demanded a boutique which Rolex already had in Selfridges who said no, Omega and Longines watches was withdrawn that meant the only Omega AD between Regent St and Marble Arch was Watches of Switzerland (which was a Mappin & Webb).

That small Ernest Jones store still stock a small amount of Omega watches and somehow turned into a Omega boutique, I guess the lease ran out and Omega took it over from Ernest Jones.

PS Oxford St view is from July 2014, Davies St view June 2008.
    Last edited by classics; 25th November 2014 at 02:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    If your are talking about the small store on the corner of Oxford St/Davies St, it was an Ernest Jones and became a small Omega boutique after a series of events.

PS Oxford St view is from July 2014, Davies St view June 2008.
    That's the one. Yeah, I realised that on the street view, I just thought it looked mad the way it changed between the 2 shops.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Omega wanted/demanded a boutique which Rolex already had in Selfridges who said no, Omega and Longines watches was withdrawn that meant the only Omega AD between Regent St and Marble Arch was Watches of Switzerland (which was a Mappin & Webb).
    If that's true, then that's pretty childish and stupid. Longines is huge in China, and about 40% of Selfridges' customers are the New Chinese upper classes. Serious missed opportunity after such umbrage was taken.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Interesting thread.

Maybe they did see me coming, but I went with the money and intention to buy on Saturday. I don't care if it in anyone's opinion is a bit of tat they sell it and I wanted to buy it so in my mind any retailer that can afford to turn away money from there till doesn't deserve my business.

I struggle to see the attraction of Omega Boutiques. I've had better service and certainly more knowledgeable conversations at non-Boutiques, and they would get my money first. And I can't but help feel it's a bit naff. It was in LHR T5 last year. I guess they're mainly aimed at brand buyers, such as the Chinese, who value the shopping experience over anything else. Bicester Village is testament to that!

Grand Master
    I dislike the whole boutique thing......it's all a big con-trick to enhance the buying experience etc, a euphemism for getting people to part with their brass more easily.

I`ve been around too long to find stuff like this impressive.

As for poor treatment in watch shops, I`ve never had a problem. Everyone's always been nice to me.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I dislike the whole boutique thing......it's all a big con-trick to enhance the buying experience etc, a euphemism for getting people to part with their brass more easily.

As for poor treatment in watch shops, I`ve never had a problem. Everyone's always been nice to me.

Paul
    I completely agree - and also on your second point - I've also always been treated politely but the level of knowledge displayed has sometimes been woefully low. As a long-standing wis I don't really expect everyone who works in a watch store to Shaw my level of enthusiasm and knowledge, but I do get irritated on behalf of other shoppers who ask some basic facts and get fed nonsense. It's the lack of respect for people that irritates me!

I dislike the whole boutique thing......it's all a big con-trick to enhance the buying experience etc
    Doesn't seem to be doing much to "enhance" it if this thread is anything to go by.

David Robinson in Altrincham gets all my new watch business, even if it is a >300 mile round trip. Hugh's a gent. Knows his stuff, respects customers who do likewise, and has always looked after me.

Paul
    Couldn't agree more.

Like you I have always received excellent service wherever I have been in Watchdom - it is probably the air of menace we exude.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I recently bought a blue rubber strap for my 2503.33 from the Omega boutique in Westfield Stratford. Everything was pretty smooth on the phone. I ordered in a short and regular length version and they called me to inform both had arrived. Went in to have a look and they fitted it on my watch no worries and I told them I'd like to proceed with the purchase. The chap then proceeded to enter the incorrect model number and asked me for just shy of £200. I was taken aback as I knew the strap should be costing approx half of that. He then got side tracked with a colleague when I glanced at his screen and saw the item he was charging me for was the alligator strap.

I know it's a simple mistake to make when keying an item reference number but if he knew what I was buying it was quite obvious he was charging me incorrectly. He acknowledged his error when I pointed it out but I think it's always worth double checking as some of the assistants really don't have a clue.

I had a ridiculous experience with the staff in the Bond Street shop when I left a couple of watches there for service at an agreed price. When I collected the first I had to wait while the shop shut around me and my friends wandered off to the pub for the manager to come and see me because his assistant was trying to charge me a lot more money and telling me I couldn't possibly have been given the price typed on the Omega paperwork I'd been given on dropping off the watches. The manager sorted it immediately at the agreed price. Two weeks later I went back to collect the other watch, had the same assistant refusing to accept the price was as originally agreed and refusing to even look at the receipt from two weeks previous where I'd paid the agreed original price.

While I was stuck in there the first time I had a good look at the watches on display and realised I didn't like any of them. Vintage all the way for me, and there are some excellent people servicing and restoring them like STS and Duncan at Genesis, both of whom have done excellent work on my Omegas. Why spend just shy of £3k or whatever it is now for a new Speedy when you can get a nice 321 for that, original ProPlofs go for a lot less than the new ones (except in the sales but even so).

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    I think it's always worth double checking as some of the assistants really don't have a clue.
    Either that or just couldn't care less.
    Watch shops I usually 'do' ok in, but sales assistants really do need to read their job description sometimes.
    I used to shop at LaCoste boutique in my home town (before it became the CHAV brand of choice), picked out a shirt, it was too large, asked the assistant if they had the next size down, as she sucked through her teeth, the conversation went like this

shop assistant (AS) "yeah think so"
    me "can you check please?"
    AS "it's in the stock room I think"
    me "could you please go and have a look?"
    AS (sucks teeth again) "yeah"

I waited 10 mins or so, she popped back, started towards another shopper.

me "hi, did you have the size I wanted in the stock room?"
    AS "yeah"
    me " could you fetch it so I can try it on?"
    AS (sucks teeth 3rd time) "yeah"
    me "thank you"

I tried the shirt on and bought it, also thinking I'll not shop there again
    Next week I went back for something else, I was greeted by the manager, who explained he'd seen the poor service I had received, was given a card for 25% from now on, as an apology.
    The shop assistant was sacked.

I used to work in retail, and I have never understood the lack of interest (even faked) in the goods you're trying to sell, or never mind rude, the sheer arrogant snobbish attitude of some sales staff.

Banned
    Had a very good experience at the local boutique today, a warm handshake from the manager, he remembered my name and mentioned two big Omega events that I would get an invite to next year, first was the annual Omega golf competition and the second was an invite to a private pre screening of the new Bond movie which should be out in 12 months time.

Seeing as we're sharing some bad AD experiences, here's mine that I posted up a while ago:

I went into discuss buying a Hamilton watch and saw the manager of a big High St. Chain AD. It was quite a long conversation and went round in circles a few times so I’ve tried to summarise and para-phrase;

Me: I’ve come in a couple of times to talk about this watch but wasn’t able to speak to you (the manager) directly as you were busy. Indirectly, I was told by your assistant that <my price> was doable but wasn’t able to confirm with you directly. What do you think?

Manager: What was the price you were after? I can offer it for this much <higher than the first time I enquired about the watch from his assistant manager>.

Me: The first time I came in I was told it could be done for <price at first enquiry> , which incidentally is higher than I was prepared to pay. Now you’re saying <50 quid higher> than even that.

Manager: Well at this moment in time, that’s what I can do it for.

Me: Ok, I wouldn’t want the display model either – would you tell me if it’s possible to order a new one in and then we can try and agree a price?

Manager: We would put in the order and then it might come in from one of our other branches so I can’t guarantee you the watch we get in would be in better condition than the one here.

Me: Ok, but it must be possible to order a new one in from your warehouse/Hamilton? – I’m in no hurry so I’m prepared to wait however long if necessary.

Manager: It’s not quite how it works. If I put an order in, it could come in from one of our other branches or you might be lucky and it comes new from the warehouse.

Me: Ok, well I’ll wait until one comes in from the warehouse and in the meantime, you decline any transfers from your other branches. Surely if I’m after a new watch, I should be able to specify brand new and not a display model. Like I say, I’m in no hurry.

Manager: Yes, of course it’s possible. I would want you to be happy with what you get. That’s my chief function for being here.

Me: Ok, so if you do it at this price, I’ll put a deposit down right now , wait ‘til the watch I want comes in and we’ll talk about it then.

Manager: Ok, but I can’t do it at <original price I was told on first visit>. If the watch comes in with a damaged strap , then I will need to order another one in and that comes off our margin. (£100)

Me: Ok, but let’s be positive and assume the NEW (I didn’t shout, but emphasising here) watch comes in with a perfectly good strap and we do the deal at the price we agree now. Then it’s all fine, no?
    In any case, if a watch comes from the warehouse with a damaged strap, doesn’t Hamilton have to replace it? Why would they charge you for something they’re responsible for?

Manager: That’s how it works. It’s our responsibility if the strap is damaged and it comes off our price if we send it back for an exchange – so I need to factor that in when I agree a price with you.

Me: Ok, but not sure why we are factoring in a potential damaged strap to our price negotiation. I tell you what : If we agree a price now and it does somehow come through with a damaged strap, I’ll decline the watch, ask for my deposit back and we’ll agree that we won’t do the deal. In any case, I’m in no hurry so I can wait however long it takes for one to come through with a good strap :-S

Manager: Ok, but I can’t do it at any better than I’ve already told you because I would want you to be happy with the watch and if the strap isn’t right for some reason, you’re not going to be happy.

Me: <still not sure why a damaged strap on an as-new-from-supplier watch is being factored into a price negotiation>. Yes, but I’m willing to wait..so if the strap is an issue, we just wait until a good one comes in.

Manager: <still talking about a mixture of a dodgy strap, his margins and me being a customer he wants to keep happy>

Me: Ok, so we don’t waste each other’s time on this, one final time – are you going to be able to come below <price offered at first visit> I want to pay <x amount>. Can you come down from your price now or at any point in the future?

Manager: I’m not allowed to do that. Everything goes through the till and Hamilton state what we are allowed to give.

Me: Ok, that’s fine. I’m going to say no for now. Thank you.

The conversation was amicable - he was a nice young chap - with no-one losing their rag although I was getting a little frustrated with his bizarre fixation on the possibility of a damaged strap affecting his margin as he’d have to send it back, further eroding from the price he would agree with me today.

I fully understood his stance on price. It’s up to him what price he can entertain and what he’s allowed to give. But I can not comprehend - not for the first time – why ADs make it such hard work sometimes. It was like he was doing me a favour to get this new watch in.