closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where can I sell a bottle of Champagne?

Master
    Blog Entries

Where can I sell a bottle of Champagne?

Hi,

I got a bottle of 1998 vintage dom perignon champagne as a gift and would never drink this. Is there anywhere I can sell this?

Cheers

Master
    Depends on how its been kept and can you prove it 's been kept the way you state.

I would expect 40£ and be ecstatic at 50£

Good luck

B

I bought a lovely example of Remy Martin cognac here on SC just last week.I would imagine it would go down very well here on SC.

It's all about provenance ie how it was kept as per note above, can worth a few quid or not.. I'd try the SC I'm sure someone will take a punt :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    It's all about provenance ie how it was kept as per note above, can worth a few quid or not.. I'd try the SC I'm sure someone will take a punt :)

That really depends on whether it's XL or XXL sized... Magnum or Methuselah?

As stated depends how you've stored it ; and if correctly proof.

Master
    T'is the season to be jolly (well nearly) so stick it in the fridge and enjoy!

Buy a crate of Guinness, mix, enjoy :)

Generally, champagne does keep to well ime.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Generally, champagne does keep to well ime.
    Been enjoying some tonight have you?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Been enjoying some tonight have you?

Oops - indeed! Should have read "Champagne doesn't tend to keep too well" I used to have a lot of Champagne in the house, but then virtually gave up drinking altogether - the result being I'd get a bottle out of the wine rack every couple of years or so (on a special occasion) and pop it in the fridge - they never tasted as good as when bought and drank within a year or so - that's in my experience, and I am sure some age ok for a few years - but older bottles don't tend to fair so well. I had a case of Dom from about the same period as this, and have one left - I doubt it is going to taste as good as the bottles of it we opened on New Year's 1999/2000 - but I am hopeful it will. The eye opener on that particular New Year for me was that the bottles of the particular vintage Pelorus (Cloudy Bay Marlborough NZ) tasted better than the Dom - not quite as many bubbles, and the Dom's bubbles seemed somewhat smaller - but the overall taste was just perfect.

http://www.champagnesabering.com/home.php?id=16

"How long does Champagne keep?

When you order a bottle of Champagne from most vineyards, it has already spent several years resting in their cellars. It is this lengthy ageing that partly explains the retail price of your favorite Champagne.

So, there's really no need for you to continue ageing your champagne. In practice, you can keep non-vintage Bruts 3 to 4 years and vintage cuvées 5 to 10 years in a cool dry place.

In ideal cellar conditions (around 50F), some fine Champagnes will keep for twenty or thirty years or more. However, it is not as long lived as a Burgundy or Bordeaux.

If you do not have the luxury of a cellar, however, the best place to store it is somewhere in the dark that has a constant temperature, as cool as possible. Then your timescale for keeping is very limited. The Champenois say that you should not keep Champagne for longer that it was cellared originally, so that means from two years for a non-vintage, and from three years for a vintage.

You may be lucky and not suffer from deterioration if you keep your Champagne outside a cellar for longer periods, but frankly, the better houses' Champagnes are well aged when you buy them, so why not drink up straight away?"

Just read a few reviews of Dom, and it appears that some vintages seem to age quite well - so... depending on how it has been stored, you or a buyer may be in for a treat. It was a case of 88 I had bought. On a 2009 wine tasting the 1998 was deemed perfectly ready to drink and was rated highly.

Open it and drink it. Either it'll be a lovely drop of wine or it'll be well past it's best and only fit for drain cleaner. Selling it without being able to certify how it's been kept is not the right thing to do. Unless you sell it with the promise of a full refund or you give the proceeds to Eddies charity.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Buy a crate of Guinness, mix, enjoy :)
    Waste of perfectly good Guiness.....

I was lucky enough to guzzle Dom Perignon 2003 vintage for many hours on a flight to Bangkok, courtesy of a bucket load of air miles seating me at the very pointy end of the plane.

Lovely stuff it was too. Seeing as it was a gift, and if you're not poor, just drink the stuff and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Agreed - why not auction it off - caveat emptor - surely would be worth a punt for the champagne lovers out there :-)

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, though I was the one who bought the Champagne and with the Missus drank it on the 24th June, our first wedding anniversary. It was a lovely drink.

My way of saying thanks to the seller and confirming all was well.

Thanks again, JPCain86.

The problem I have now is that I also have a 1993 bottle again purchased from another TZ member and am aching to open it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post

The problem I have now is that I also have a 1993 bottle again purchased from another TZ member and am aching to open it.
    Based on the advice above, get it drunk before it gets even worse!

Oh, and congratulations on the marital,bliss!

Holy thread resurrection....!