closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: They even fake Seikos??

They even fake Seikos??

I didn't realise they made fake Seikos but surely this one is :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Se...item234559cb28
    Last edited by Thorien; 24th November 2014 at 11:21.

Master
    I sincerely hope that remains at 0 bids. I would hate anyone having to pay for that monstrosity

Oh yes ‘they’ do fake Seiko's- but usually make a better effort of it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I sincerely hope that remains at 0 bids. I would hate anyone having to pay for that monstrosity
    Absolutely agree. That one is so wrong. The starting price is cheek beyond belief!

Maybe genuine Seiko parts but the price is way way way over the top and the description does not really relate to the state of the watch in general.It looks well beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Maybe genuine Seiko parts but the price is way way way over the top and the description does not really relate to the state of the watch in general.It looks well beaten.
    No way is that dial genuine Seiko! I bet the movement isn't either. In fact the only thing that does look genuine to me is the case back!?

Unfortunately they will fake anything they can make a quick buck from, morals out of the window.

Hope no-one bids or it gets removed to save some unsuspecting buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    No way is that dial genuine Seiko! I bet the movement isn't either. In fact the only thing that does look genuine to me is the case back!?

Hence the word maybe. You would have to be a complete nutter to buy it.That I do know.

Dial is definitely not genuine Seiko as well as the strap. Case, bezel, bezel insert, hands are genuine. I would say that the movement would be genuine also as the date wheel looks correct too.

Craftsman
    Absolutely horrific

Journeyman
    That's so bad it seems a bit desperate. If the vendor thinks it's in 'descent' condition, I'd hate to see one that's in poor condition!

I wonder what movement's in it. Someone ask him to confirm whether it hacks...

John

[Edit: Dur! Ignore the hacking quip - I was thinking 6105.]
    Last edited by icon2; 23rd November 2014 at 22:42.

Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Hence the word maybe. You would have to be a complete nutter to buy it.That I do know.
    Yep ! Especially at that price.

Master
    Horrendous! Vintage ones tend to be partly original with aftermarket/fake dials, hands, inserts etc, but there are out and out fakes of contemporary seikos even at the SKX007 and Seiko 5 price points!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Dial is definitely not genuine Seiko as well as the strap. Case, bezel, bezel insert, hands are genuine. I would say that the movement would be genuine also as the date wheel looks correct too.
    What he said^^^ The only non-original parts here are the dial and strap. I also suspect the dial is a reprinted original as the Seiko Auto text is perfect yet the rest of it looks like crap.

They even make fake Vostoks, so a fake Seiko of this kind, is not surprising.

Craftsman

Fake

What parts are real and fake make no odds,it is child scaringly ugly.

The dial is obviously a fake.
    But most of the 6309's on ebay have 'new' or 'aftermarket' dials. For all of these read 'fake'.
    This one is just a worse fake than most of the others.

Journeyman
    Why would you fake this watch? How much would a genuine second hand one fetch? Sorry for my ignorance.

PS: Thanks for the apostrophe reminder! Now corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    They even make fake Vostoks, so a fake Seiko of this kind, is not surprising.
    That's just crazy, where's the profit in that, or indeed in the entry level Seikos like the skx009?
    I mean, I guess there must be if people are doing it, but it's certainly an eye opener.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bestselling fake.

The colorful fake Casio F91-Ws are such a commercial success that Casio has added the 'C' model line too.

The fakes keep selling like crazy though at about 4 €.

You can even get fake Seiko 5............

The 6309 on ebay is probably not a fake... probably only the dial is.
    Even then it may just be a very badly 'restored' original dial.

What makes an aftermarket dial a fake is having Seiko written on it.
    There are some various quality aftermarket replacement hands and bezels on the market, some are very good. But a fake dial is a fake dial.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

What makes an aftermarket dial a fake is having Seiko written on it.
    Good point.
    ´Fake´ is ever so popularly and often incorrectly used.
    The downright unethical way copyrights trade marks etc are registered in the US do not help.
    I fell off my chair laughing when Panerai themselves produced illegal Marina Militare dialed watches...

Anyway, the ´no Seiko´(Casio) is what makes the F91-W copies legal. Although 1 on 1 copies they do state a different logo. Never mind it is styled to confuse. As such it is not a fáke. Just a cheap copy to cash in on the HUGE success of the humble Casios

If you go onto Ebay right now and type Seiko 6309 into the search bar, twelve 6309 divers watches appear on the first page. All of them have fake dials. On page 2, there are another twelve 6309 divers, all but one of which fitted with fake dials. The only difference between the fake dial fitted to the example presented in the opening post of this thread and those fitted to the cobble jobs listed on Ebay today is that the dials on the Ebay examples are all modelled on Seiko designs whilst the OP dial is modelled on a Submariner dial.

None of these watches are fake watches in the sense that your average Rolex fake is a fake watch. All of them are basically original watches (or at least watches constructed from a pile of original Seiko parts), fitted with fake dials plus an assortment of aftermarket parts such as hands, bezel inserts, crystals, crowns, crystal retaining rings and in some cases, bezels too. I would not advise anyone to buy one of the examples listed on Ebay, partly because the use of Seiko branding is fraudulent, but also because the glossy exterior generally hides an assortment of problems beneath. You have to ask yourself, if the dials have been replaced because the watch has been flooded at some point in the past (most probably with sea water), then what condition must the rest of it have been in?

Martin

Very well put Martin. The same UK seller has dozens of these 'Franken' 6309's.

Clearly there has been no attempt to retain originality in any of them. Every one of them is a 'tart up job' and best avoided.