closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hotel accommodation in NYC, March 2015.

Hotel accommodation in NYC, March 2015.

We are heading out to NYC in early March of next year for a week. The first two days are a visit to Cape Cod, but we are returning to NYC for the remainder. Other than a visit to Central Park and Ground Zero we are pretty flexible. Any recommendations for hotels or places to stay. Not fussed for high end or chic place, more biased towards easy access to NYC and comfortable.

Any advice greatly received.

TIA.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've stayed at a couple of good places, The Exchange on Wall Street was decent but a bit out of the way and The Tuscany was the same. Best one was Hotel Court in Murray Hill. It's a St Giles hotel so you'll find it on their website or on Booking.com.

Check our Airbnb too - you can get a nice apartment for not massive money...

I'd suggest avoiding a lot of the usual suspects like Hotel Pennsylvania, Chelsea and some of the Hiltons - they're getting pretty tired...

I used to travel a lot to NYC with work and the value for money in hotels isn't great and the star system seems a touch ad hoc too!

Having said that, it's a bloody great place to visit!

Master
    We had 5 nights at the Times Sq Intercontinental back in October. From our experience I'd have no hesitation about recommending the place. Our room was on the 29th floor looking down 8th Ave so great for watching the general hustle & bustle from a distance.

Blog Entries
    Been awhile but I always used the Hilton on sixth as I reckon its a great location for all the usual suspects, have not checked rates, reviews etc lately but NYC aint cheap.

Always wanted to stay at the Chelsea but unlike Leonard Cohen there is no chance of Janis Joplin giving me head on an unmade bed.

We stayed in the Intercontinental Barclay, close to Grand Central station and has since been refurbished, so might be even nicer.
    Best breakfast I've had in a hotel for a long time.
    One thing I worked out, eventually, after walking everywhere, is that cabs are cheap in New York.

Royalton is where I always stay these days. The Empire is nice on Coloumbus Corcle as well next to Central Park.

Also agree with above regarding cabs. I sadly defo don't agree with the hotel choice.....

Hmm, planning a trip for next year, the Royalton looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

We stayed at the Sofitel in 44th st last year, rather nice very central but not cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    Hmm, planning a trip for next year, the Royalton looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.
    Great hotel. The loft suites ( the round bath is something else) are amazing but the normal rooms are good as well. Really nice bar downstairs and beautiful breakfast; as for the waitresses they definitely have a hiring policy I'm on board with!

Master
    Stayed at the Hotel Chandler which had a great "locals" bar and staff were excellent. Also stayed at the Marriott in Times Square. Huge hotel with great views of Times Sq but very busy in lobby and outside. Going again in May but will look for a hotel that's a little quieter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R170 View Post
    We stayed at the Sofitel in 44th st last year, rather nice very central but not cheap
    +1 for the Sofitel. Super comfy beds, good size rooms, and great location.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
    We stayed in the Intercontinental Barclay, close to Grand Central station and has since been refurbished, so might be even nicer.
    Best breakfast I've had in a hotel for a long time.
    One thing I worked out, eventually, after walking everywhere, is that cabs are cheap in New York.
    We drove past the Barclay in Oct and it still had a awful lot of scaffolding around the outside.

Master
    Last time we were there we booked an apartment through AirB&B. Stayed on the Upper East side which I preferred, as we found it quieter at night (ie: less incessant horn-honking) than midtown.