closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help on value of a GMT 1675....

Help on value of a GMT 1675....

Earlier this year I picked up a 77 serial GMT with the intention of it being a keeper. It needed a bit of work so when funds allowed it went to Duncan at Genesis where it got sorted out including a full service (but no case refinishing). But times change and so possibly is the direction of my collection, which has got me wondering what its worth? Yes I could simply add what the work cost, plus what I paid for the watch therefore calculated values is £x. But I’m not sure that calculation equals worth, and practically if I paid more than I should have (certainly possible) then it over values it.
    I’ve checked the usual sources (Chrono24 and ebay) but with prices having a fair bit of variance I thought I’d check in with the collective wisdom on TZ for some useful and realistic opinions on what its worth. By the way this is not intended as a sales post as I haven’t decided either way if it’s staying or going.

So its a 77 serial 1675. Serviced in June this year. Faded insert, hands and dial match, case has had some polishing (in previous services). No box or Rolex papers, just the watch and the replaced parts and paperwork from Duncan. Pics below.

Untitled by AndyR2011, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Crikey Andy they prices do vary a tad to say the least......

I have been hankering after a GMT but these are certainly out of my ball park. Be interested to see the responses though.

Trust all else is well buddy

Paul

Very nice, be interested in where the price comes out as I'd love a vintage GMT one day.

Master
    I would guess at similar to this one at a dealer that sold for £4495:

http://watchesofdistinction.com/watc...el%20No%201675

Journeyman
    Can you get it certified? Without box and papers it would be difficult to fetch top money selling privately. So the link below at circa £5K might be 20% out...

Quote Originally Posted by NK51XXX View Post
    Can you get it certified? Without box and papers it would be difficult to fetch top money selling privately. So the link below at circa £5K might be 20% out...
    Surely a recent service at a certified Rolex service agent is as good a certification you would need ? Box & Papers on a vintage are a bonus but I would take the more recent service / papers.

I would estimate a private sale of between £4250 and £4750 but I may be completly wrong

Thanks for the responses all. Some good food for thought there, and now leaves me with the question of does it stay or does it go....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NK51XXX View Post

Dealer speak.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    Thanks for the responses all. Some good food for thought there, and now leaves me with the question of does it stay or does it go....
    Stay. Stay. Stay. Stay.
    Its beautiul.

Master
    I would be very interested to know the outcome of this. I have been considering selling up my 1675, unworn since a full RSC service a couple of years back, but I was thinking nearer the £3.5K mark.
    I think the pricing thus far has been a little optimistic.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I would be very interested to know the outcome of this. I have been considering selling up my 1675, unworn since a full RSC service a couple of years back, but I was thinking nearer the £3.5K mark.
    I think the pricing thus far has been a little optimistic.
    I have a pretty 1675 too and 3.5-4k with no box papers is about right i think.

Blog Entries
    I sold a mint, matte dial 16750, with beautifully faded plots and 2 inserts, one faded and one new, with a brand new oyster bracelet for £3650...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I sold a mint, matte dial 16750, with beautifully faded plots and 2 inserts, one faded and one new, with a brand new oyster bracelet for £3650...
    If it was on SC, I wish I'd seen that!

Master
    Maybe just me but the OPs watch looks very very nice. Got to be worth more than 3.5k unless the dial and hands etc aren't original.

Still, it looks spot on in my eyes. Very cool vintage GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    If it was on SC, I wish I'd seen that!
    it was! Tony had it last I knew

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    it was! Tony had it last I knew
    A wonderful watch that is! The 1675 seems fine and I would hazard £3 - 3.5 k - I don't know why but RSC papers seem
    to hold just that little bit more than Rolex Authorised.
    Last edited by Kakadu; 26th November 2014 at 13:00. Reason: hols held

Thanks again for the feedback gents. FWIW my very rough thoughts before posting were in the ballpark between 3.6k-4k. So I'm pleased I wasn't way in out in my initial thoughts.

Craftsman
    Mmmm. Birth year watch

Weird. In Morrisons (other supermarkets are available) about an hour or so ago, behind me at checkout I spot an old chap sporting a 1675! Had to compliment him on his fine timepiece and got chatting while SWMBO bagged up........a'hem......

Got chatting, he knew his stuff and told me of his mates Milsub, £40kish etc. Anyway, he bought the 1675 new in 1977 for £280 or something daft like that!

I was railing against the world along with selected old farts in me Seditionaries Destroy straightjacket (cost all of a fiver, a whole saturdays wages at Woolworths Brixton btw) at the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    I have a pretty 1675 too and 3.5-4k with no box papers is about right i think.
    ^^^ Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Weird. In Morrisons (other supermarkets are available) about an hour or so ago, behind me at checkout I spot an old chap sporting a 1675! Had to compliment him on his fine timepiece and got chatting while SWMBO bagged up........a'hem......

Got chatting, he knew his stuff and told me of his mates Milsub, £40kish etc. Anyway, he bought the 1675 new in 1977 for £280 or something daft like that!

I was railing against the world along with selected old farts in me Seditionaries Destroy straightjacket (cost all of a fiver, a whole saturdays wages at Woolworths Brixton btw) at the time!!!
    I bought my 16750 in 1981 for the £325

For the OP's I would say add a zero (as a minimum)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I bought my 16750 in 1981 for the £325

For the OP's I would say add a zero (as a minimum)
    Spot on in my book.

Check chrono24 ;)

Mine is a 1675 from 1965, unfortunately dial and hands where changed through previous Rolex services, bought 2850£ 4 years ago, service paper included.

I had it fully serviced 6 months ago, including laser welding at laboratorio portanova, cost me an extra 950£

So basically, I spent 3,8K ... and consider myself quite happy with it even if some purists might say my 1675 is a kind of a franken.
    Last edited by pepere13; 27th November 2014 at 19:18.

I managed to get this one last year for £3500.

Boxed but no original paperwork but had Rolex service history.

Craftsman
    I'd say £3500.