closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

I did that 2 days ago ^
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    ^^

Quite a bit of work when you do it well.
    I used to do it more frequent, but I really have to set my mind to it these days. First world luxury problem I guess :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Same, except that once I stop procrastinating and start getting on with it I quite enjoy it.

Another vote for Panama Jacks. I have two pairs and wear them in some extreme conditions with no complaints.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I checked my boots - they are one size up, but as I said they are fur lined. While in Berlin I tried regular boot and they were true to size. Hope yours will fit OK.
    Thanks for that, hopefully they're here tomorrow so ill know for sure fingers crossed they're spot on not being lined. I will update once I have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    Another vote for Panama Jacks. I have two pairs and wear them in some extreme conditions with no complaints.
    Superb lovely to hear, i wore Timberlands for years but the last 2-3 pairs just didnt last anywhere near as long so I felt out of love with them certainly not the quality they used to be.
    I love my dr martens very comfortable and they're holding up well around 3 years in, for life boots so not really an issue anyway as free replacements. They're just not very warm is the only complaint I've had.
    In fact barring my walking boots all my others aren't that warm come winter (maybe I'm getting old) so I fancied some goretex ones that looked smartish with jeans etc whilst being goretex tends to make them warmer in my experience without being overly warm and causing sweaty feet.

According to tracking they're arriving tomorrow so ill report my initial findings but thanks to a few on here I'm quietly confident they'll be superb.

Master
    Boots arrived at 0830 this morning, perfect fit they remind me of Timberland but hopefully better lasting. The colour is lovely in a waxed leather where little marks etc will build a patina over time which I personaly really like.
    Given ive spent the morning in an icerink I can confirm they're pretty warm too fingers crossed they last as expected but I'm very pleased initially.

Master
    What the size like. I’m an 8.5 in Timberland and just wondering what size of these to order.

Having bought some Blundstones that had to go back on account of sprinting a leak...

Ive been considering some Redbacks.

Any experiences? I don't need safety toecaps and they do a 'soft toe' version it seems. I also need wider fitting and wondered if their standard fit is quite wide?

Ta.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    What the size like. I’m an 8.5 in Timberland and just wondering what size of these to order.
    I’m normally a size 9 and ordered size 9 they fit perfectly so I’d go true to normal size in all normal shoes/trainers, if I remember correctly I used to buy 8.5uk (9 us) in timberlands but it’s been a few years since I bought some after the quality issues I experienced. I doubt you will be disappointed with these the build quality seems spot on if I get a couple of years out of them I’ll be buying more given the comfort of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Having bought some Blundstones that had to go back on account of sprinting a leak...

Any experiences? I don't need safety toecaps and they do a 'soft toe' version it seems. I also need wider fitting and wondered if their standard fit is quite wide?

Ta.
    Redbacks are on my list to try after someone I was working with swore by them apparently quite a wide fitting and by all accounts pretty hard wearing yet comfortable.

Blog Entries

Ta.
    You can also try the R.M. Williams Stockyard boots, their entry level chelsea boot, not Australian made anymore, but very wide fitting and hard wearing.

Get in early before they sell out!

http://www.drmartens.com/uk/p/mens-b...ZxDmRte.TUhGQg

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Oh wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Size 11s still available.

Must. Not. Drink. Tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Size 11s still available.

Must. Not. Drink. Tonight.
    Resistance is futile

Got these from Crockett & Jones factory shop the other month. I was talking to the lady about what I wanted and she appeared with these from round the back. Strangely they have no model range on the box and I can't see anything on their website.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    You can also try the R.M. Williams Stockyard boots, their entry level chelsea boot, not Australian made anymore, but very wide fitting and hard wearing.
    Those are very nice.

However I got ambushed before buying them. A Hume's are selling the RM Williams Stitchdown desert boot for £120 (normally nearly £200). Not really 'winter' boots, but a stonking bargain.

Blog Entries
    Those are very nice.

However I got ambushed before buying them. A Hume's are selling the RM Williams Stitchdown desert boot for £120 (normally nearly £200). Not really 'winter' boots, but a stonking bargain.
    Not a bargain!

Blake stitching and made in China, they'll not survive a harsh winter.
    Their made in Australia boots are pricy for a reason.

Not a bargain!

Blake stitching and made in China, they'll not survive a harsh winter.
    Their made in Australia boots are pricy for a reason.
    I get your point - but A Hume insist these are "made in Australia" so if they aren't they'll be going back. I shall report with pics when they get here...

Blog Entries
    I get your point - but A Hume insist these are "made in Australia" so if they aren't they'll be going back. I shall report with pics when they get here...
    Ah, ok, benefit of the doubt it is then :)

I'll await the pics.

I noticed that SoleTrader in Kingston-upon-Thames stock Panama Jack boots, they did look pretty good especially next to the Timberland’s that were more expensive. No idea if they stock them nationwide.
    If you are near Kingston and are in the market for a new pair of daisy roots, Natterjacks in Fyfe Road stock Red Wing Boots now. (Handy just to try on for size.)

Master
    Got mine out today ready for the winter - love my grenson Fred’s and a couple of cheaneys from last years sale

Master
    A few days of wear now with the Panama jacks they where comfortable out of the box so that was fine but they must have broken in because they’re now like slippers extremely comfortable, I’m tempted to order a second pair in case they stop making them in the future because provided they last as expected I can see them being my boots of choice for a good while.

It's winter boot time

I just got an email from Tricker’s Outlet, 20% off everything this weekend.
    Great boots.

Last edited by stoneyloon; 28th October 2017 at 10:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Great boots.

My wallet hates you, off for a mooch

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Great boots.

I managed to get these this morning for £206. More than 20% was taken off at the check out even though I got the same email as you. 60% in total against RRP.

Master
    Fortunately nothing caught my eye in the sale probably because I already own a few lol I do love Tricker’s boots though

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    For the love of god why did I click that link, those are lovely I’m not sure I can justify it owning the exact same pair but with black soles I’ll be getting close to rivalling my wife’s shoe collection. Must resist

Master
    No personal experience but these popped up on my amazon suggestions

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LLOYD-Viest...d_lutyp_wl_4_2

Look like they could be a bloody good winter boot whilst still looking rather smart

However after listening to Carlton and noticing the zip (a zip for God’s sake) I wouldn’t be inclined to try them.
    Last edited by bootneck; 28th October 2017 at 16:34.

I wouldn't touch them at a 3rd of the price. Lloyd footwear are fairly commonly on sale in Germany and I've yet to feel that they are anything other than a fashion brand. Why would you put a zip on the side of a supposedly weatherproof boot which already has a set of laces - it's an extra potential place for ingress of water and also a point of failure?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I wouldn't touch them at a 3rd of the price. Lloyd footwear are fairly commonly on sale in Germany and I've yet to feel that they are anything other than a fashion brand. Why would you put a zip on the side of a supposedly weatherproof boot which already has a set of laces - it's an extra potential place for ingress of water and also a point of failure?
    Ha ha ha I didn’t see the zip, why would anyone do that. I’d never heard of them before and just read goretex fur lined in that case bowing to your experience I’ll edit my post.

Ah, ok, benefit of the doubt it is then :)

I'll await the pics.
    Arrived. They are nice quality heavy suede generally but they are actually made in Portugal. Not a problem in itself, but plainly not as advertised. The soles are quite nice razor-cut rubber like boating shoes.

I think I'll keep them - but they are summer boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    not to mention that their goodyear welted collection is bloody expensive at least here in Latvia - 400-500€.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    not to mention that their goodyear welted collection is bloody expensive at least here in Latvia - 400-500€.
    Streuth! They're having a giraffe.

Craftsman
    Thanks to bobfrog on here, I am currently breaking these beauties in gently around the house. As I’m sure most of you know these Red Wings are built like a tank, but surprisingly comfortable straight out the box. My first Red Wings & I’m a happy chappy.

Master
    They look superb

Craftsman
    How are Trickers for sizing?? Seen a pair of Stow’s I quite like.

Are they true to size?

Quote Originally Posted by jamestmusic View Post
    How are Trickers for sizing?? Seen a pair of Stow’s I quite like.

Are they true to size?

The two pairs I’ve got are a 1/2 size less than I would normally buy. I have a pair Stows as well. Their not a big as Loake Bedales. I’m a full size lower in those.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    The two pairs I’ve got are a 1/2 size less than I would normally buy. I have a pair Stows as well. Their not a big as Loake Bedales. I’m a full size lower in those.

Thanks Andy, great to know. Don’t want the hassle of sending back or going out to try them etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    A few days of wear now with the Panama jacks they where comfortable out of the box so that was fine but they must have broken in because they’re now like slippers extremely comfortable, I’m tempted to order a second pair in case they stop making them in the future because provided they last as expected I can see them being my boots of choice for a good while.
    Ordered two pairs - first pair arrived today and i’m impressed

Master
    Ordered two pairs - first pair arrived today and i’m impressed

Great stuff, I’m boardering on another pair now myself but I heard rumour that iron rangers will soon be released with a half decent sole Ive always liked iron rangers but the soles look terrible for anything other than warm dry weather (no experience just judged on looks alone) so I’m holding off to see if that happens anytime soon if not more Panama jacks will be ordered and stored away because these are superb.

Blog Entries
    Boots boots?still wearing boat shoes and shorts out on the beach today with the dogs will still be awhile till the long tr’s appear

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Boots boots?still wearing boat shoes and shorts out on the beach today with the dogs will still be awhile till the long tr’s appear
    I was thinking this less than an hour ago. A week ago I was taking the dog out in shorts and deck shoes - today was the first day at this end of the year in wellies .

Master
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Arrived. They are nice quality heavy suede generally but they are actually made in Portugal. Not a problem in itself, but plainly not as advertised. The soles are quite nice razor-cut rubber like boating shoes.

I think I'll keep them - but they are summer boots.
    I hope you'll enjoy them.

This seems to be the case frequently with ahume, they didn't knew (or wanted to tell) that the Stockyard range wasn't made in AU anymore.

For me this is important, or I wouldn't buy.

On to the summer it is then :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - its the one brand missing from my collection so definitely going to have a trip up there for a look

I just bought exactly the same but the charcoal version

Take quite a bit of wearing in, the red wing mink oil can soften the leather and helps a bit

http://goo.gl/images/nCcfKY

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Thanks to bobfrog on here, I am currently breaking these beauties in gently around the house. As I’m sure most of you know these Red Wings are built like a tank, but surprisingly comfortable straight out the box. My first Red Wings & I’m a happy chappy.