closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Master
    Can anyone confirm the Vibram resole price or recommend a Vibram cobbler?
    I have a pair of Timberland classics boots and boat shoes (gore tex) that need to be resoled, I have been quoted (3 times over the phone) £65-£70, I don't know if that is the going price or because these are London prices.
    TBH the heel needs to be replaced rather the whole sole but IMO it wouldn't look right if it was just the heel was replaced.

Craftsman
    I know it isn't technically winter any more... but to be honest I wear boots all year round, so I thought I would bring another brand into discussions!

I picked up some Thorogoods recently, I had spotted them a couple of years ago when I was investigating Red Wings but there was only the option to bring them in from the US (VAT and shipping being a killer). Well there is now a UK distributor and they are pretty impressive comparing pretty favourably with their Red Wing counterparts.

Being a YouTube addict I posted an initial review if you fancy checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q4tZctJy_I

Best regards,
    Chris

OK - I know it's the summer solstice and attention is not drawn to buying winter boots, but I couldn't pass these pair of Grenson Joseph's up.

http://m.coggles.com/mens-footwear-b.../10948754.html

With the 11% topcashback (which has tracked) I effectively paid £85 for these beauties which have arrived today. The quality is cracking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    OK - I know it's the summer solstice and attention is not drawn to buying winter boots, but I couldn't pass these pair of Grenson Joseph's up.

http://m.coggles.com/mens-footwear-b.../10948754.html

With the 11% topcashback (which has tracked) I effectively paid £85 for these beauties which have arrived today. The quality is cracking.
    That is a manic price and if they wear like my Fred's you are in for a wonderful time.

Spent a little time patinating and polishing these today. Pleased with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Spent a little time patinating and polishing these today. Pleased with the result.
    Very nice.

I've been wearing my Red Wing Ice cutters. Have to say so far I've been pretty impressed, ok no ice or snow so far to test grip etc, but with the wool lining they have kept my feet nice & warm without getting too warm.

It's winter boot time

Just taken advantage of Trickers website sale and added these to the collection. Amazing quality and 30% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 19th December 2016 at 22:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice.

I'm a Trickers man both boots and shoes but just got a pair of Redwing Beckmann for winter use and when I'm on shoots and don't want to take chunks out of my brogues. Very comfortable and good to know I can drop them off in Covent Garden when they need a resole. I'll treat theses differently and go down the mink oil route not sapphir/Woly cream.
    Quite impressed with them so far, great fit but wiggle room in the toes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Just taken advantage of Trickers website sale and added these to the collection. Amazing quality and 30% off.
    Andy, cheers for the heads up, have just stuck in an order for some boots I've had my eye on for most of the year. 30% off was too good to turn down on Trickers.

Craftsman
    I am hoping that Santa has some acorn coloured Stow boots from Trickers in his sack for me.

He better had, I have dropped enough hints!!
    Last edited by Jimnic007; 20th December 2016 at 08:22. Reason: Tiredness!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    I am hoping that Sandra has some acorn coloured Stow boots from Trickers in his sack for me. He better had, I have dropped enough hints!!
    I'd be a bit more worried about what Sandra might empty from his sack, if I were you.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd be a bit more worried about what Sandra might empty from his sack, if I were you.
    Quite, I blame the late hour and my tiredness. What a thought, Sandra coming down the chimney!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    Quite, I blame the late hour and my tiredness. What a thought, Sandra coming down the chimney!!!!
    Who's Sandra?

The last time a bloke with a beard called Sandra asked me if I had been a good boy....well, I won't go into it. Suffice to say I no longer fill up with diesel at that truck stop.

Anyone know how the Redback UBOK fit?

Usually an 11 in trainers and a 10.5 in Timberland earth keepers

Cheers

Master
    Haven't had black boots since my teenage years, but now decided to get a pair:

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Andy, cheers for the heads up, have just stuck in an order for some boots I've had my eye on for most of the year. 30% off was too good to turn down on Trickers.
    No worries. Happy to help a fellow tz'er spend some money. ☺

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post

Not keen on black boots, but Viberg are quality, what last are they 2030?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post

Good Lord! They look amazing

Enjoy

Master
    Just got some magnum Panthers for work - steel toe as and surprisingly comfy

Devastated that Trickers are going to stop selling seconds on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Devastated that Trickers are going to stop selling seconds on eBay.
    Seriously?

Craftsman
    Trying something a bit different from the Red Wing and Thorogood moctoes I have favoured for a while, with these lace to toe hand made Italian boots from Fracap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Not keen on black boots, but Viberg are quality, what last are they 2030?
    They are 2030 indeed, I really like the slim profile they have. Fitwise they are fine, not much wiggle room and definitely no room for a thicker sock or insole. They are size US7 and I normally have the same in Alden's too. They are quite heavy and stiff, I expect the breaking in being a long journey. ;)

Like I said, I haven't had black boots for more than 20 years, but now I've got so many brown boots that I had to get something different. Time will tell...

Blog Entries
    Another "let's try some black boots" buyer here :)

I just had to have these Norwegian welted Paraboot.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Off to the US office in Boston, MA - Winter boots cleaned and protected - beginning to think I might need something a bit more substantial though, currently -7 deg C.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

Just arrived in the post. Horween natural CXL, full Goodyear welt and danite sole. Really well made, they will look much better when I swap the laces out .

I think I'll stick to my 7 year old red wing loggers this year. As the 'warmer' winters even in Scotland don't really merit a full blown 'artic' pair for general use. Get the feeling these boots will last me a life time if they are looked after. Even better, they are great for walks in the hills all year round when the weather is a litttle wet.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Seriously?

Master

I know this is an older post, but those Trickers are lovely!

Master
    Heres mine loake bedales vintage black grenson military style boots and redwing chukkas

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I know this is an older post, but those Trickers are lovely!
    Cheers. They’ve been worn a lot. Now they are broken in the colour looks even better.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 18th October 2017 at 22:08.

Master
    Cheers. They’ve been worn a lot. Now they are broken in the colour looks even better.

What style and colour are they? Have wanted a pair of decent red boots for a while and might go looking for some of these...depends on price too(!)

I have some Cheaneys that are reddish but the Trickers look the business.

Edit - think I found them on-line - Stow style. About £400 - will need to get saving!
    Last edited by bambam; 19th October 2017 at 20:13.

There are some fantastic boots in SC at the moment. Alden are absolutely ace.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    What style and colour are they? Have wanted a pair of decent red boots for a while and might go looking for some of these...depends on price too(!)

I have some Cheaneys that are reddish but the Trickers look the business.

Edit - think I found them on-line - Stow style. About £400 - will need to get saving!
    Cherry red and your correct on them being Stow. The last time I looked Trickers had them on their outlet website at £275 which is what I paid. Can’t recommend Trickers high enough, the quality and workmanship is clear to see. I’ve got my eye on another pair, I’m just waiting for the sales.

You’ll need to register to gain access to the outlet website.

Master
    Cherry red and your correct on them being Stow. The last time I looked Trickers had them on their outlet website at £275 which is what I paid. Can’t recommend Trickers high enough, the quality and workmanship is clear to see. I’ve got my eye on another pair, I’m just waiting for the sales.

Ok cool. Didn't know they had an outlet website - will try and register and have a look.

Not much need for boots in the SW as it very rarely snows or gets cold enough to wear them, but I still fancy a pair of LL Bean Duck boots.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Not much need for boots in the SW as it very rarely snows or gets cold enough to wear them, but I still fancy a pair of LL Bean Duck boots.
    I don't see the need for them in SE either. Okay in the countryside but not the more formal styles that seem popular on TZ.

Many of us just like to wear formal looking boots! Nothing more compex than that.

Master

Thanks for the heads up. Just seen shoes on the outlet for £260 and on their website they are £395 - they appear to be the same or am I missing something?

Anyone have a promotional code?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Just seen shoes on the outlet for £260 and on their website they are £395 - they appear to be the same or am I missing something?

Anyone have a promotional code?
    There may be a difference in there weight or sole type ie commando against stay Dainite. The difference in weight tends to be their summer against winter range. Basically no difference.

Master
    Has anyone tried Panama jack boots? I’ve seen a pair I quite like the looks of specifically these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panama-Jack...tex&th=1&psc=1

Look ideal for casual winter I’m normally a redwing/ dr martens fan after Timberlands starting falling apart in no time years ago.

Master
    Ordered them so I will answer my own question next week hopefully, I still love my Dr. Martens for life boots which are around 3-4 years old now and still going strong but they’re not the warmest boot in the world along with my redwing Chelsea ranger and tickers boots which are all well loved but I wanted something warmer yet still smart enough with jeans rather than my all out walking boots. I’ll report back with my initial thoughts etc once they arrive

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Has anyone tried Panama jack boots? I’ve seen a pair I quite like the looks of specifically these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panama-Jack...tex&th=1&psc=1

Look ideal for casual winter I’m normally a redwing/ dr martens fan after Timberlands starting falling apart in no time years ago.
    I have Panama Jack winter boots with wool lining. After 4 or 5 winters I have not a slightest complaint, very warm, leather and overall quality is very good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I have Panama Jack winter boots with wool lining. After 4 or 5 winters I have not a slightest complaint, very warm, leather and overall quality is very good.
    Superb, thankyou

They do look well made and reading around the net the phrase that got me excited was "like Timberland used to be" what are the sizings like? True to size or adjust either way.

Superb, thankyou

They do look well made and reading around the net the phrase that got me excited was "like Timberland used to be" what are the sizings like? True to size or adjust either way.

I’ll be home tomorrow night and will check size to be sure but as far I remember even with thick fur lining they were my usual size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I’ll be home tomorrow night and will check size to be sure but as far I remember even with thick fur lining they were my usual size.
    Brilliant I’ve ordered my usual and crossed my fingers lol

Brilliant I’ve ordered my usual and crossed my fingers lol
    I checked my boots - they are one size up, but as I said they are fur lined. While in Berlin I tried regular boot and they were true to size. Hope yours will fit OK.

Blog Entries
    I’ve been busy tonight getting my winter boots ready for wearing, an hour of polishing and two pairs of R.M. Williams and two pairs of Paraboot are ready to go :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!