closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay Leather or Stainless?

Master

Black Bay Leather or Stainless?

Popped into the AD earlier to have a look at the Black Bay with a red insert. Thought I would prefer the stainless bracelet but on trying both on I actually preferred the look of the distressed leather. Another negative for the stainless is I already have a 14060 Sub which has a similar look.

Looking at the prices on Iconic there's little difference between the 2, in the AD it was circa £200.

From a purchase point of view would I be better off buying the stainless version then trying to source either a gen or aftermarket strap or just saying sod it and buying what I like in the first place?

In the short term I'd not be looking to pass it on but may fancy a change in the future.

Master
    STAINLESS!!

The bracelet costs ££££ to buy later, the leather (or a Toshi just like it) costs £.

This basic principle applies to all watches at all price points.

Master
    agree with the stainless sentiment.

leather will be much cheaper to source and if you are planning to move it on at some point, id immagine the steel would sell better and look more attractive to buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    STAINLESS!!

The bracelet costs ££££ to buy later, the leather (or a Toshi just like it) costs £.

This, x1000 and frankly (oh ok imo) the TBB looks dreadful on the ill fitting, contrived, printed leather strap. But the deployant is nice, granted.

Craftsman
    Yep, stainless for me too. As said, it will be cheaper to source a strap than a bracelet if you change your mind after the deal is done.

Master
    Yep, I had a feeling that would be the verdict. How difficult would it be to source the Deployant should I go down that route?

Get it with the SS bracelet and buy a leather strap beside, I guess that is the best deal.

I got the strap model because there was no bracelet model in stock the day I buy my one.
    I order the SS bracelet at the same time and get it a few weeks after the watch.

I prefer to use the watch on leather.

Here is a teaser that will help you to decide.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/tbbreve.htm

You can order the leather and buckle from a main dealer. If I recall the deployant buckle was about £180 and a similar amount for the leather strap.

Looks like there's too much of a gap between the case and the strap. This looks to me like more of a bracelet watch for that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by budfox88 View Post
    You can order the leather and buckle from a main dealer. If I recall the deployant buckle was about £180 and a similar amount for the leather strap.
    How much?!

Strewth,I'd be getting an aftermarket one...!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    STAINLESS!!

Adrian is right, PLUS, when you try to get a deal, the least they would do is include a strap and deployant as well so you'd have everything this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Looks like there's too much of a gap between the case and the strap. This looks to me like more of a bracelet watch for that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

How much?!

Strewth,I'd be getting an aftermarket one...!
    There is solutions about the gap.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/bbed.htm

Master
    Looks great Jocke!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Looks great Jocke!

Gorge and my pick.

Wifey has £2k of Tesco's and with Goldsmiths stocking Tudor I am very tempted.

Paul

Master
    Lone voice here, but much prefer the leather and given the price of the deployment separately, I would go for the leather assuming it would be a couple hundred cheaper in the first place. I know you should always go for bracelet, and source leather, but I wouldn't in this instance.

Grand Master
    Bracelet new for Tudor and if you grab a used one then whatever, its a better watch on the strap but makes sense to add the bracelet only for potential broader resale market. If you are keeping it who cares
    RIAC

Master
    Bracelet. All day long.

Stainless

On closer inspection the "aged" leather doesn't quite cut it compared to other aftermarket straps

It's such a good looking watch that it looks good with both. But I'd go with the bracelet.

Craftsman
    Leather on a dive watch....no, no, no!
    But if you must, you can get a fantastic Toshi for less than £80

Blog Entries
    If buy it on a bracelet but wear it on a leather!!!

I don't really get this no leather with dive watch rule, its like saying you can only wear dive watches with wetsuits

I deliberately went for the leather as I felt the stainless steel strap made it look too much like a sub. If you don't already own a sub then that may not be an issue but I liked the warmth of the red with the leather.. as others have stated the blue can look a bit clinical..but each to their own

Never understood the buy with a view to reselling idea.. i only ever buy with a view to keep but also if you go for the leather you are paying less in the first place

good luck whatever you decide

Craftsman
    I prefer the red black bay on leather, but will be buying one on stainless initially! Makes more sense when I inevitably change my mind!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Looks great Jocke!

It looks better without the end-links, but with the strap on traditional spring-bars:

I prefer the red on the leather strap but the blue on stainless steel. I went for blue on stainless as thought I might tire of the red and a blue on a bracelet is more practical and flexible. Financially it makes sense to buy the stainless steel bracelet with either red or blue though!

Craftsman
    I prefer leather but will always buy on steel and purchase the leather as well