closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 67 of 416 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,350 of 20784

Thread: The Incoming / New Arrival Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post

Took a chance on this and so far I'm very pleased with it. Normally a Diver wearer so this is not typically the style or the size I'd go for but I am very glad I did.
    That's a belter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They're not screws they're sex bolts....
    FTFY. Seriously. (They really are called that. And they aren't hex bolts - although hex bolts might look better in this case.)

What model is that verv ? Looks nice and not huge.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hexagonal thingy wotsits seff. (What's the proper name for them?)

It's a royal oak offshore diver 15710ST. 42mm ally.

The Incoming / New Arrival Thread

Hexagonal thingy wotsits seff. (What's the proper name for them?)

It's a royal oak offshore diver 15710ST. 42mm ally.
    They are called chicago screws or sex screws (1 male, 1 female, Seffrican wasn't joking :)). We have a quest for some more prosaic versions for open ended straps going on elsewhere in the forum.

Always wondered why AP decided to have a superfluous slot on the bolt head. Just a cosmetic thing I suppose but I'd prefer it without from an engineering perspective.

Edit - or is it actually used to steady the bolt and avoiding it damaging the case when tightening the sleeve nut?
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 22nd August 2017 at 03:11.

[QUOTE=Mr Curta;

Edit - or is it actually used to steady the bolt and avoiding it damaging the case when tightening the sleeve nut?[/QUOTE]

That was my thought.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ahahahahaha.

sex screws

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have the identical watch. They're stunning, aren't they?!

Here's mine...

Simon
    I just love the glass being so anti-reflective you feel like you could touch the dial itself, there is a real sense of depth. Why aren't all watches made like this? The clarity beats my Rolex and Omega's hands down.
    My only gripe is that I would have prefers an applied logo like on other Navitimers but clearly that would interfere with the 24hr hand or add another .5mm to the dial depth.

Les

Blog Entries
    Hexagonal thingy wotsits seff.
    Hex bolts is a colloquial term for an Allen bolt, which has a hexagonal recess in the head in place of the slot. Hex bolt is used to distinguish them from Phillips head or slot-head bolts (as used on the watch in question).

Curiously, the slot on those bolts serves exactly zero purpose, since the head fits exactly into the hexagonal recess in the bezel, and it's tightened from beneath. The engineer part of me finds that repugnant, like spoilers on cars that are never going to go fast enough for the spoiler to bite the air.

After a close encounter with a fake s500 I took the plunge in to ROX sale with a 28% off rrp

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    They are called chicago screws or sex screws (1 male, 1 female, Seffrican wasn't joking :)). We have a quest for some more prosaic versions for open ended straps going on elsewhere in the forum.

Thank you for this information, I never realised they were a pre-existing design of bolt which generally does have a slot. Clearly Genta used them for both practical and aesthetic purposes. He may even have imagined inserting the sleeve, then screwing in the bolt from the top to connect them, before seating the bolt head in the bezel and finishing the job from the back, though in practice they don't need to.

But to learn that they are actually called 'sex bolts' is the icing on the cake. What more answer do you need to those asking why there's a slot? Because they're sex bolts, obviously! What other kind of bolt would you use in a Royal Oak?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd August 2017 at 16:06.

3740 joins my small IWC collection

I think I will be transferring the bracelet and putting the Mark xii on a leather strap.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Always wondered why AP decided to have a superfluous slot on the bolt head. Just a cosmetic thing I suppose but I'd prefer it without from an engineering perspective.

Edit - or is it actually used to steady the bolt and avoiding it damaging the case when tightening the sleeve nut?
    I think your edit is absolutely right - particularly on the gold models, it's easy to imagine the bolts beginning to dig into the sides when tightened.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 23rd August 2017 at 18:15. Reason: spelingg

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Thank you for this information, I never realised they were a pre-existing design of bolt which generally does have a slot. Clearly Genta used them for both practical and aesthetic purposes. He may even have imagined inserting the sleeve, then screwing in the bolt from the top to connect them, before seating the bolt head in the bezel and finishing the job from the back, though in practice they don't need to.

But to learn that they are actually called 'sex bolts' is the icing on the cake. What more answer do you need to those asking why there's a slot? Because they're sex bolts, obviously! What other kind of bolt would you use in a Royal Oak?
    Being a Royal Oak a) they have 2 slots, one at each end. Most have only 1 slot, b) it has 8 of them whereas most of us only need 2 or 4 to attach our straps.

Make if that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post

What a great focused collection. Shows how much difference you can work on a theme.

This just could be my perfect everyday watch...

Straton Syncro

I've been waiting patiently for this one from Kickstarter for several months.

It's a lovely package with 4 (four) straps including the nice mesh bracelet (the first I've ever tried that doesn't catch the hair on my wrist).

Also included is an orange leather and a couple of fun coloured natos.

But I'm loving it so far. Uniquely 70's, great quality, keeping good time, finishing is great (lovely little polished details around the edges of the case and even in the grooves of the bezel, where the outer parts are matte). It's a gorgeous little (big), thing!

Forgive the poor quality photos.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post

It's a lovely package with 4 (four) straps including the nice mesh bracelet (the first I've ever tried that doesn't catch the hair on my wrist).

But I'm loving it so far. Uniquely 70's, great quality, keeping good time, finishing is great (lovely little polished details around the edges of the case and even in the grooves of the bezel, where the outer parts are matte). It's a gorgeous little (big), thing!

I really like that design, congratulations seeking out something less ordinary.

Just in for me this week, my first 7750 chrono. 44mm Laco Kiel in lovely condition. Loving it so far.

I am very glad to get my hands on this SRP777! Bought from here. The Turtle has a Zulu diver flat vent and Sapphire glass.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    After a close encounter with a fake s500 I took the plunge in to ROX sale with a 28% off rrp

These have been faked already?!

Good work on the discount - from an AD?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    These have been faked already?!

Good work on the discount - from an AD?

Yep, picked up a 2014 s500 off eBay for a good price, not exceptional. Something was right with it and with the help of altitude and bremont is was confirmed as fake. There's a few floating about this year.

Paid not that much more for the s2000

Chewitt

This Samurai, found in a shop window in Norwich totally unexpectedly - which allowed me to check crown and insert alignment (often dodgy on this model apparently) - all perfect - and the same price from a bricks and mortar seiko stockist as I've seen online. 36 hours later it has gained about 2 seconds (my turtle is even better as it gains about a second a day!) - really pleased with it and the bracelet is almost a plain oyster style with the tiniest polished accent. Well pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    This Samurai, found in a shop window in Norwich totally unexpectedly - which allowed me to check crown and insert alignment (often dodgy on this model apparently) - all perfect - and the same price from a bricks and mortar seiko stockist as I've seen online. 36 hours later it has gained about 2 seconds (my turtle is even better as it gains about a second a day!) - really pleased with it and the bracelet is almost a plain oyster style with the tiniest polished accent. Well pleased

I am really tempted by these, how do you rate the quality compared to your turtle? I can get a turtle online for around £200 these are double that as far as i can see.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Certainly not worth double but side by side the finishing of the dial, hands and bezel is a step up. I'm sure they'll come down in price and I was a bit impulsive - in reality it's such a different style to a turtle, almost futuristic compared to 70's style - and maybe that's where the difference really lies.

Received today via a deal on this very forum... My first Rolex!

I've admired the no date subs for a while now, and this one is literally in perfect condition.

A big thanks to Ade, I'm over the moon!

Oh and apologies for the bezel not being at 12, I was timing some eggs on the hob!

First manual wind piece I've owned.

2C7AE322-D178-4DEB-919B-29AE1FA5CC8C.jpg

I'm lucky to have secured a Ceramic SS Daytona last month. It's tough not to wear it, but my intention is it will not be worn by me as I have twin 4 year old nephews that I adore and wish to secure 1 each.

When they're 25 or 30 I will give them each a Daytona. How they use it will be up to them. Sell or keep etc.

Hope I've attached the photos correctly of the new version with my 2009 model.

DSC_4972.JPG

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

I've admired the no date subs for a while now, and this one is literally in perfect condition.

Very nice. I think I am beginning to lean towards the no date sub as my preference.

I received mine the other day too. Really please with it, I got the same dial as you and also the blue version, both with the NE88 movement.

Shown with the blue and orange nato.

Will put more photos up when I can a change of the other strap combinations.

Looking forward to the next Straton design which is due to hit Kickstarter next month.

Master
    My wife has a new watch, the olive green dial was what she wanted, 34mm.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by chard101 View Post
    I received mine the other day too. Really please with it, I got the same dial as you and also the blue version, both with the NE88 movement.

Shown with the blue and orange nato.

Will put more photos up when I can a change of the other strap combinations.

Looking forward to the next Straton design which is due to hit Kickstarter next month.
    Two of them! Wow! Same bezels both times?

How are you finding them?

I debated the blue dial with the blocky bezel for a long time. The silver dial was a last minute change of heart and really pleased with it too.

Bracelet is nice and the first mesh I've tried that doesn't tear at the wrist hair! I've not tried my natos yet.

Not convinced by the next design from a straton but interested to see Kyle has decided to launch a new brand to make pilots watches and divers. Will keep an eye out for those.

Had my name down for an air king for a few weeks and was in for a 3 month wait. Mid week I got the call that someone had pulled out and so it was available. Incoming next Saturday and can't wait.
    I've always gone for watches with large bezels and so it took a while for me to get used to the Air King.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 27th August 2017 at 19:01.

Two of them! Wow! Same bezels both times?

How are you finding them?

I debated the blue dial with the blocky bezel for a long time. The silver dial was a last minute change of heart and really pleased with it too.

Bracelet is nice and the first mesh I've tried that doesn't tear at the wrist hair! I've not tried my natos yet.

Not convinced by the next design from a straton but interested to see Kyle has decided to launch a new brand to make pilots watches and divers. Will keep an eye out for those.

Very pleased with them to be honest. I'm a big fan of 70s style watches, one of the issues for me is most look a bit small on my 8" wrists but not these bad boys.

Yes I wen't for the same style of bezel on both, just preferred that design to the other.

I have to say I was also going to choose the blue dialed version too however I have a Vratislavia with a blue dial so I thought for the sake of mixing it up I would go silver. The other one I have is the same as yours with the silver and black dial.

Looking forwards to trying other strap combinations when I find my proper strap change tool.

I had my eye on Edd's beautiful Lemania Silverstone for a while so I quite like to look of the Speciale, its definitely up my street and I will be eagerly awaiting for the next Kickstater round.

I was not aware of the Pilots watches, will have to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

Congrats. I thought I was set on a SubDC but the more I look, the more I quite like the clean face.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Congrats. I thought I was set on a SubDC but the more I look, the more I quite like the clean face.
    Me too.
    Im loving the clean dial although I'm not by any means a cyclops hater.
    I really need to try the ceramic cases on if anywhere has them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Me too.
    Im loving the clean dial although I'm not by any means a cyclops hater.
    I really need to try the ceramic cases on if anywhere has them in stock.
    likewise - had a couple of Submariner dates (bought and sold when the market was fare more sensible!)
    Now looking at what watches i can move to allow me to start looking seriously at another sub non-date.

This just arrived from Andrew (MakeColdplayHistory), much appreciated , Initial thoughts are it looks gorgeous, bezel action/play is awful but had read that about these already.

DSC08652 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08655 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08648 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    I'm not by any means a cyclops hater.
    Don't despair, there's still time to become one.

PAM 687

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    PAM 687

That dial is fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    That dial is fantastic!
    Reminiscent of a Moser.

Apprentice

Just added a PAM380 to my collection a few weeks ago. Managed to source one despite being told by a few AD that it had been discontinued.
    Last edited by 115sf; 30th August 2017 at 14:54.

Picked up a hummer today.

Picked this up last week.

In fifty next year and wanted to treat myself to a Rolex to celebrate. Always liked the Datejust , especially as it's a pretty good price to get into Rolex.

I wasn't that fussed about year watch but found this fantastic condition silver faced one from 1968. From a specialist in Carlisle. It has only been worn a few times and the jubilee is like no with no stretch at all

So had to jump on it. I bit early I know as I not 50 till next June!

Craftsman

Just took the stickers off. Love the colour of the dial. Sorry photo bucket shite will try another method of posting a photo of my deepsea Cameron.IMG_0646.JPG
    Last edited by ml.williams; 2nd September 2017 at 05:12. Reason: Photobucket

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 115sf View Post
    Just added a PAM380 to my collection a few weeks ago. Managed to source one despite being told by a few AD that it had been discontinued.
    I like that. Nice looking watch. The 'simple' Pams seem the most attractive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Picked this up last week.

In fifty next year and wanted to treat myself to a Rolex to celebrate. Always liked the Datejust , especially as it's a pretty good price to get into Rolex.

I wasn't that fussed about year watch but found this fantastic condition silver faced one from 1968. From a specialist in Carlisle. It has only been worn a few times and the jubilee is like no with no stretch at all

So had to jump on it. I bit early I know as I not 50 till next June!

That is absolutely lovely. A great way to celebrate a half century.
    I miss mine. Scott, can I have it back please?