closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Other Amphibians

The Other Amphibians

Everyone's heard of the ubiquitous Vostok Amphibia but I don't suppose everyone here is aware that all 4 of the major Russian watch manufacturers produced an "amphibian" watch. Apologies in advance for the usual poor quality of my photos.

First up is my Raketa Amphibian with it's 2609NA 17 Jewel hand winding movement. The 2609NA was probably one of the best quality movements to come out of Russia in the 1980s and indeed is still produced now. The caseback, as with all Amphibias, is held in place by a locking ring, allowing for a large gasket and eliminating any shear loads.

The Poljot Amphibian is the most common after the Vostok. It came in a few different case types, both 10 and 20atm rated, mainly housing the workhorse 2616 automatic movement. For some unknown reason it has a left handed thread on the crown which took me about an hour of trying to unscrew it anti-clockwise before I realised.... Anyway, here's mine:

Finally, and by far and away the rarest (quantity in double figures), we have the Slava Amphibian. The movement in this one is the Slava 2414 twin barrel movement. This was supposedly the cream of Russian watch movements, a Soviet chronometer if you will. Unfortunately it gained a reputation for being very unreliable. The case is unusual for a Soviet diver as it features 20mm lugs and a steel bezel with bakelite insert. The dial design was completely ripped off from the Zodiac Seawolf.
    Apparently (and I've no way of confirming it), this watch was never officially released. When the Soviet Union was busy collapsing, rumour has it that all existing examples were smuggled out of the factory in bits and reassembled later by the employees.

Quite thin too:

And here they are all together along with my original swing-lug Vostok.

Very illuminating post, thanks.

I like all of them

Interesting and rather nice. I do like the Raketa (and the Slava, for that matter).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    That's very interesting, that's what I love about this forum there's always something new to learn about.I love them all but especially the Poljot.
    Thanks, off to the bay............;)

Master
    Ah, if only I had known what I know now back when I spent several months teaching in Moscow - I picked up a Slava and Raketa more by accident than by design, but nothing special...

Great post - very interesting in the different types. My collection started off with Russian watches, mainly as they were so affordable and different to anything else. I still think they represent great value for money, although that Slava must be worth a few bob!

Nice to see these!

When I posted this on Flickr, five years ago, there was one chap who suggested these were frankens...

Master
    Here's my Raketa only the quartz version.

Though no screwdown crown so a "diver" in looks only. Sadly the movement died. I got a second one and it died soon after too. :(

Master
    The Slava, Raketa and Poljot appear to go for quite a bit of money these days :(
    Nice watches but I'll stick with the Vostoks for now as they're better value.

Thanks! I didn't know that. Interesting info and watches.

Necrobump! I just wanted to brag that I now have 2 Slava Amphibias - the rarest Amphibia of them all :D

Congrats never seen these before