closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's an illness!

It's an illness!

I think this is about my 6th 6309 - when I don't have one I want one, and when I have one I keep it for a while and then move it on. Oh well...

This one is a non-American market 7040, dating from 1984. It has it's original non-Suwa dial and hands, but is fitted with a Yobokies double domed crystal with internal AR (hence the reflections!). It also has an aftermarket large dot insert on at the moment, but I do have an original insert on a spare bezel too. You can see that it has a lovely patina, and the other nice thing is that it had a movement service and new gaskets courtesy of Duncan/Cannop less than a year ago.

I only ever wear 6309s on Zulus, and I'm always swapping them over for a different look. In fact, as soon as this shot was taken the cherry came off and a black went on. When I look at it it's hard to work out why I ever sell them.

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th November 2014 at 09:08.

Master
    Lovely watch, amazing photo

I wear mine in a nato usually - it dates from 85

They are rather special and I'd struggle for find anything for the money that gives me as much satisfaction

Banned
    Tony, you know I like an old Seiko diver, but a question...

Why is it always ok to have replacement parts on these (and similar) but on a Rolex it would be considered only second to treason?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Why is it always ok to have replacement parts on these (and similar) but on a Rolex it would be considered only second to treason?
    Probably a question of value/scarcity, Steve? Then again, you could also ask why it's okay to relume vintage Heuer hands (and vintage Heuers go for big money now) but not Rolex?

I guess collectors set the parameters, ultimately.

May I suggest that based on what these cost, you don't sell this one? It's not as if you need to sell what is essentially a (relatively) cheap design icon to fund your next dubious looking dress watch

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    May I suggest that based on what these cost, you don't sell this one? It's not as if you need to sell what is essentially a (relatively) cheap design icon to fund your next dubious looking dress watch
    You may suggest that, Simon

Great looking watch and photo Tony. The real illness starts to bite when you pull my trick of buying another one but still keeping the one/s you've got. Whereas Seikos look to be your downfall I suffer from Orientitis.

Tony, you like them because they are really great watches - especially for the price.
    If you do however move this one on, do let me know!

Blog Entries
    Reflections aren't always a bad thing Tony - I love the effect the AR has in this shot...

I have a similar issue with Tuna's - they keep coming and going!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

I'm not so sure it is, I have owned two of these. One had an aftermarket insert and glass, the other hands. I really struggled with the fact that they were not original parts, so moved them on. On the other hand, I have changed the insert on my 5513 and am completely comfortable with that. Difference being is that the Rolex insert is a genuine part.

Still slightly hypocritical though..

OP's watch looks lovely by the way!

very nice indeed......

I've had several 6309s and they are without question my very favourite watch. On the issue of originality, if I have original dial and hands I'm OK with replacement glass - it's just like looking at the interior of a beautiful period house through new windows!

On the affordability front, despite having owned some beautiful original examples, I'm always forced to sell them when things get tight as they're always valued at the top of my watch-buying budget.

So the previous poster is 100% correct Tony, hang onto this one and wear it for years

I also wore mine on the same maroon zulu - great choice.

David

Have to agree Tony. On a value for money basis I think they're the best watch in the world, they just tick all the boxes.

I've had a similar problem to you over the last few years, buying quite a few. But we differ in one respect.......... I haven't sold any.

Think the tally is currently about 12. I keep meaning to get them all together for a family portrait

Must try one on a Zulu. Personally think they wear best of all on the bracelet. Especially if you find one with end links that fit properly. I've had to file a few down.

I think I'm on my fourth 6309 myself (it's easy to lose track of these things). They wear well on a variety of other strap/bracelet options as well, Tony. You might try vintage rally Tropics and oyster bracelets for variety, you could actually wind up keeping this one longer! Looks great in your pic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think this is about my 6th 6309 - when I don't have one I want one, and when I have one I keep it for a while and then move it on.
    Surely it'd make more sense for you to just borrow someone else's 6309, when the mood takes your fancy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Surely it'd make more sense for you to just borrow someone else's 6309, when the mood takes your fancy?
    Now that's an idea, a bit like leasing a car. I'm in.

I cant fault Seikos! I have a few....I have a "slightly modded" one myself too.

As others have said? Hang on to this one! lol. For the price ...they are cracking watches, and also look rather nice too!

Master
    Great watch and photo Tony! I've just had a quick look at my datasheet: so far I've owned thirteen 6309/6's (not counting the slim case -729x's) and I still have five

Master
    Nice watch and not a bad pic either. I've had several of these starting about three years ago with an all aftermarket example from the Philippines, which was then flipped for an original example, which was then flipped for a nicer one etc. I now have a 6306 that's going nowhere unless a nice Scubapro 6306 comes my way.

Craftsman
    I think my all time favourite also. Photos can change perceptions, and mine have always been on mesh, but Monkeyswag are sending the Maroon strap over after seeing that cracking pic!

Nice picture. I have two as well. Hardly any parts for these so aftermarket, if needed is usually the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think this is about my 6th 6309 - when I don't have one I want one, and when I have one I keep it for a while and then move it on. Oh well...
    The 6309 is a favourite of mine too... please bear me in mind when it's time for it to go!

A great photo of an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Have to agree Tony. On a value for money basis I think they're the best watch in the world, they just tick all the boxes.

I've had a similar problem to you over the last few years, buying quite a few. But we differ in one respect.......... I haven't sold any.

Think the tally is currently about 12. I keep meaning to get them all together for a family portrait

Must try one on a Zulu. Personally think they wear best of all on the bracelet. Especially if you find one with end links that fit properly. I've had to file a few down.
    We should meet up again and do that photo, I have a similar number of 6309s and same for 7548s .... Great value for money watches....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    LOL, LOL :-)))))