closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car

Craftsman

New car

Well, my 330d is 2 years old, and is now officially worth less than the remaining amount I need to pay on it (both private sale and trade in) over the remaining 1 year period + the balloon - effectively I'm in negative equity.

I can 'swap' to the m135i, and pay a lower monthly amount. The insurance is comparable to the 330d. The fuel usage will be a fair bit more in the m135i, but as I only do 9k miles per year it's not a lot.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Literally hamstrung by indecision, although I realise it's a first world problem.

OH was in that situ, she decided to keep the motor and run it till it dies

Craftsman

BMW noose

I have a friend in exactly the same situation with a 6 series BMW. He got tied into BMW years ago and has never been to escape since, continually trading in against a different model, sometimes up, sometimes down. He is currently paying over £600 month on his 6 series but his job has ended and he really needs to downsize again. To get out it seems that you have to bite the bullet and pay to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stomach View Post
    I can 'swap' to the m135i, and pay a lower monthly amount. The insurance is comparable to the 330d. The fuel usage will be a fair bit more in the m135i, but as I only do 9k miles per year it's not a lot.
    If the objective is to save money I wouldn't swap to a car that costs more to run. I've a friend with 135 and a 520 and he says the 135 is very thirsty.

I've had a 118d and changed to the 318d touring, size wise I couldn't go back to the smaller 1 series.

Blog Entries
    Think someone on here has the M1 and absolutely loves it. May be worth a quick search and drop him a pm?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The F20 I serieries is a lot bigger space wise than the old E model. What about a 125d or a 120d with the performance pack. Or just keep what you have do need a new car?

Blog Entries
    I've got an M135i, it's a great car, can get 40mpg at 70mpg on the motorway but it's also pretty bloody quick when you want it to be, I would highly recommend the 8spd auto, it's an awesome gearbox.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I've got an M135i, it's a great car, can get 40mpg at 70mpg on the motorway but it's also pretty bloody quick when you want it to be, I would highly recommend the 8spd auto, it's an awesome gearbox.
    Same here, 40mpg cruising at 70, goes like a scalded cat when you want it to. Auto box is fabulous. Very happy with mine.

Can't comment on the economic wisdom of changing other than to say usually when people change cars to save money (usually from petrol to diesel) the maths doesn't actually stack up.

Good friend bought an ex demo M135i about 16 months ago for £33k (hi spec car) he's being offered 21k for it now after doing 10k miles.
    great car to drive, but I can see you being sucked in again, I'm afraid to say.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone.

I gave the M135i a serious test today, and it was fab. The intent isn't really to 'save' money, but the notion of being underwater on my current car means that every payment s effectively dead. That said, entering a new deal means more dead money, and there's no surer way of losing a stack than buying a new high spec car.

It's all dead money, I guess. I might well hold on and save for another year.

You just don't get it do you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You just don't get it do you

Er....??? I'm not for one moment suggesting that's how I drive it..... mines leased so it gets driven like I stole it.... On a private road obviously officer...

Er....??? I'm not for one moment suggesting that's how I drive it..... mines leased so it gets driven like I stole it.... On a private road obviously officer...
    Hey, ok and enjoy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hey, ok and enjoy
    If I'm honest, I wish I had kept this and my Diesel run around as I find the lack of LSD noticeable, I grew up in Westfields and TVRs and am not a huge fan of the vague steering and too many intrusive driver
    aids.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Good friend bought an ex demo M135i about 16 months ago for £33k (hi spec car) he's being offered 21k for it now after doing 10k miles.
    great car to drive, but I can see you being sucked in again, I'm afraid to say.
    That seems low. I got £23k trade-in for mine at 11 months old with 25k miles on the clock. This was Mercedes and VW offered £22k. Mind you, BMW wasn't interested and offered £19k...

Ant