closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "My god, it's full of stars..."

"My god, it's full of stars..."

Not that long ago, the thought of another vintage sports watch - probably Rolex, because for quite a while that was the focus of my collection - would have kept me awake at night. It's a funny thing, though, how tastes evolve and over the last couple of years I've found myself becoming increasingly disillusioned with and by what had become the staple additions. I sold quite a few (beauties, I might add), and found over the same period that I was also beginning to question my refusal to buy anything current. For a while now, in fact, I've had a nice balance of new and old, and a pretty even mix of sports watches and alternatives that are far more dressy.

A couple of weeks ago I met a friend from here for a few beers, and I was really impressed by what he called his "left field" collection. I didn't consciously spend time dwelling on this but I was aware that I could have been a little more... I don't know, daring. It was while I was in that frame of mind that something popped up on SC that I simply fell in love with, and over the subsequent week or so I edged closer and closer to a deal without even the hint of a second thought about whether I was being sensible or not. I have to say that, after a couple of days of wear, I'm really delighted that I followed my instincts.

Christiaan ven der Klaauw is a Dutch watchmaker, and is also the only watchmaker in the Netherlands producing movement parts with his own hands. He was born, in 1944, in Leiden, the city where the Netherlands’ greatest scientist of all times, namesake and inspiration Christiaan Huygens started his studies in 1645. Van der Klaauw attended the School for Instrument Makers there, and some two decades after commencing his work as a watchmaker became known for his "astronomical watches" that he now shows regularly at Basleworld to much acclaim. The watches are handmade, and the finished movements (based on ebauches that I can't identify yet, although I've asked him the question by email) are heavily modified and then coupled with in-house modules that provide the incredible astronomical complications that set his watches apart. You can see the current CVDK collection here, in fact.

The watch that I found irresistible is the Ceres 1974. The dial is an amazingly textured starburst, on which an appliqué CVDK logo appears at 12 with the most gorgeous moonphase window at 6; applied roman numerals, in blued steel, are used for the 1-3 and 9-11 markers but the remainder of the dial is completely clean. The finishing touch is blued steel hands, in a Breguet style. The overall effect is, to my mind, quite beautiful, albeit that many will no doubt feel that the styling is a little too unconventional. Horses for courses, and all that.

The Ceres 1974 is part of the "Collection of The Stars" and the specification is as follows:

Movement: CVDK1068, automatic winding, 25 jewels, 42 hour power reserve, complication; CVDK Ceres 1974 module.
    Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, complication; moon phase.
    Case: Stainless steel, ø 40 mm, sapphire crystal, sapphire crystal case-back.
    Dial: Silver with blue indexes.
    Strap: Blue alligator leather.
    Buckle: Logo engraved steel folding clasp.

I'm not sure that anything other than handling this watch could ever do it justice, but my attempt in photos is below... no, it's not the usual safe choice, but I love it all the more for just that reason.

Last edited by learningtofly; 21st November 2014 at 23:30.

Master
    That's lovely Tony, although I have to admit never having heard of the brand. I especially like the rotor but that dial is amazing.

Edit: I caught your thread before you added the text, hence said edit and unintended fruitcakedness
    Last edited by W44NNE; 20th November 2014 at 08:40.

Delicious.....

Without disclosing too much information, what are comparably priced watches?

It looks superb!

All I have right now is what I've posted, Wayne. I've emailed Christiaan, asking for details on the base movement and the modifications he then applies (some of which are evident from the movement shot in any event). I'll update the thread when i hear back from him.

Edit: Ah, and edit that makes me look like a fruitcake ;)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th November 2014 at 01:09.

I can see the attraction - a very uplifting piece, and not too busy with it. I like the sunburst pattern dial, the contrasting colours and the cheeky moon. I could only wear this occasionally though, definitely not an everyday watch for me. But, it would certainly brighten up most collections and any day you had it on your wrist. Brave choice, well done.

Banned
    Suits you well Tony. Its an interesting piece, a bit off the safe and well trodden track and a lovely bit of stealth quality there. Like a Bristol where others might go for a Bentley.

Super watch Tony!

I love those repeating, harmonious swirls and rays which unify the design. I also particularly enjoy the clarity resulting (and braveness) by deciding to omit the numerals on the lower half of the dial. A lesser designer would have crammed them on there.

You have sidereal magic.
    Last edited by dkpw; 20th November 2014 at 01:24. Reason: typos

That is a handsome watch, the case lines and size are nice. It is consistent, I like how the sunburst on the rotor is also on the side surrounding the (I assume) moon phase setter and also the 12 o'clock marker. It has a nicely proportioned onion crown and I love onion crowns.

What an absolutely stunning watch Tony.

It has hints of a Breguet masterpiece from the 1780s!

Very classy 👌

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's very very nice indeed tony, lovely dial.Mike

suddenly feel all funny in my tummy

superb addition friend.

Always enjoy your posts Tony. A brave & beautiful choice.

I did catch site of a few of his watches in den Haag. They have amazing constellation dials and look unlike the other brands represented. I think you have a great watch there and it's clear you really love the brand. Price wise I think they are about 5,500 euros upwards . The most impressive one was about 50,000 euros if I recall correctly.

Lovely. I wondered who would buy that one

Wow!

Left field maybe but all my watches look a bit dull now.

Gorgeous, as usual I unm'ed and ahh'd and then went for the safe choice!! Perhaps that's a trait I should recognise in myself!

Seeing that one SC made me check out he website and I was blown away by many of the others as well... Hopefully a future purchase for me.

I look at it and see great craftsmanship and detail (and I suspect you enjoy photographing it) but overall a watch that isn't the sum of its parts. You're going to need some shirt buying tips from me, and shoe buying tips from Tim, to wear that one properly.

But then I still can't believe you sold that Ed White. Or that Great White. Or possibly Barry White.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why you think it's not "the sum of it's parts" Simon, as I think it's far more than the sum of it's parts. Can you elaborate please?

have you looked at the (IMO) amazing watches produced by CVDK?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm genuinely intrigued as to why you think it's not "the sum of it's parts" Simon, as I think it's far more than the sum of it's parts. Can you elaborate please?

have you looked at the (IMO) amazing watches produced by CVDK?
    I was trying to be diplomatic. Beautifully made, some lovely detail but it's a bloody ugly watch.

Here's one of his watches with a, er, shirt.

It's a sort of peacock watch. Says the man who owns an Omega stardust.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    but it's a bloody ugly watch.
    No; you think it is and that IS entirely subjective.

The rest of your opinion too is all about YOU; about your perception, taste et al.

Very much akin to the totally oppressive, all bounderies crossing, responses to the rocket scientist's shirt. Next thing is we all wear a uniform in either Navy of black with matching 'sports' Rolex....

See Tony, now Cilla has your back. I wonder if my opinion would be any more valid if I agreed with you and told you it was a beautiful watch. Or had a Seiko quartz movement inside!

I've taken up far too much space on this thread, you already know I don't like it, I respect everyone else's opinions. Apart from Cilla's. And anyone who doesn't think the MX-5 is the greatest car ever made. And doesn't like cheese.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    No; you think it is and that IS entirely subjective.The rest of your opinion too is all about YOU; about your perception, taste et al.Very much akin to the totally oppressive, all bounderies crossing, responses to the rocket scientist's shirt. Next thing is we all wear a uniform in either Navy of black with matching 'sports' Rolex....
    All in YOUR opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    No; you think it is and that IS entirely subjective.

The rest of your opinion too is all about YOU; about your perception, taste et al.

Very much akin to the totally oppressive, all bounderies crossing, responses to the rocket scientist's shirt. Next thing is we all wear a uniform in either Navy of black with matching 'sports' Rolex....
    Only you could get Rolex into a thread about an obscure watch brand.

I guess that's what you're here for though.

Oh dear! Simon, I'm well aware that it's too classy for you, mate... that said, I wouldn't mind rooting through your wardrobe for some accessories. I definitely don't want any more shoes, though

See Tony, now Cilla has your back. I wonder if my opinion would be any more valid if I agreed with you and told you it was a beautiful watch. Or had a Seiko quartz movement inside!

I've taken up far too much space on this thread, you already know I don't like it, I respect everyone else's opinions. Apart from Cilla's. And anyone who doesn't think the MX-5 is the greatest car ever made. And doesn't like cheese.
    There are people who don't like cheese?

Nice watch BTW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    All in YOUR opinion of course.
    It's the only one that counts.

My view of the watch is that I don't like the look of it at all, the dial does nothing for me, not interested in the moon phase and the lugs look too long, that said I like the back of the watch and at least it's something different.
    Last edited by Captainhowdy; 20th November 2014 at 11:48.

Blog Entries
    Tony

Watch is interesting and indeed looks beautifully made and finished wear it in good health.

To the rest of this thread and indeed several others of late why do they have to become personal? this is about a watch not shoes,shirts etc why drag this crap into the thread?by all means disagree,argue have dialogue but cut the personal insults its just childish.Just my opinion of course

Banned
    Blog Entries
    . I wonder if my opinion would be any more valid if I agreed with you and told you it was a beautiful watch.
    As an opinion it would be equally valid.

The point is the 'is'.
    No and THAT is not an opinion Mr.Seadog.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Tony

Watch is interesting and indeed looks beautifully made and finished wear it in good health.

To the rest of this thread and indeed several others of late why do they have to become personal? this is about a watch not shoes,shirts etc why drag this crap into the thread?by all means disagree,argue have dialogue but cut the personal insults its just childish.Just my opinion of course
    Tony's a friend of mine, it's all in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
    There are people who don't like cheese?

Nice watch BTW
    My dad spent four weeks in a coma to cure him of that!

Tomatoes too so now he can eat pizza!

Drat! I thought your next acquisition would be an F.P.Journe - but a CVDK wasn't far behind. Very nice, one of those
    that I personally will only ever dream about! the dial is wonderful.
    David

Master
    I really, really like that.. The swirly sun design is a little over-alliterated but that's a very minor criticism.

Master
    Tony, I so like the way your tastes are evolving. I have always considered you to be a natural owner / wearer of Silberstein watches - and I think you will be there very soon!!

Blog Entries
    Tony's a friend of mine, it's all in jest.
    Point taken but there have been some really nasty posts right across all of the the forum lately which have been personal and not added a thing to the OP.

Missed this thread yesterday (shame - given the amusement value of some of the posts...).

I like it rather a lot, and think it wears very well with a cuff.

Ive always been a bit of a VDK admirer - I love to see something different, and the responses such pieces provoke.

Blog Entries
    Interesting choice and very individual. Has Java lent you a hat or two yet? . ☺

PS lovely photos as always

Beautiful watch Tony, but I have a soft spot for CvdK
    I love my Ariadne. Christiaan has made some lovely watches over the years, including the amazing Planetarium.

Sorry to say though Tony, yours is a new CvdK, as Christiaan sold the company to some VC enthusiasts a few years ago now and semi retired.
    I believe he drops in once a week or so?
    You can tell the "new" watches as the logo changed from Christiaan's family crest, the claw, to the 'spinning sun' type logo they have today.

Here's a rubbish shot of my Ariadne.

Wonderful, and wonderfully different at the same time, Tony.

Master
    We need more watches like this on TZ-UK:

I rather like it. We have dive watches, cronos, dress watches etc. For me, this is the mistress watch. Ding dong.

That is an absolute beauty

Bold, interesting, looks very nicely made, but not my cuppa.

I'll give it 3 months tops before it gets flipped
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I absolutely love this. I've lost both my Grandparents recently and want to buy a watch when their house has sold and the money from the will comes through. The favourite was a JLC Master Calendar until I saw this.
    Lovely watch, Tony. Congrats

Lovely watch and a grail for many of us.

Thabks chaps

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I absolutely love this. I've lost both my Grandparents recently and want to buy a watch when their house has sold and the money from the will comes through. The favourite was a JLC Master Calendar until I saw this.
    Lovely watch, Tony. Congrats
    Sorry to hear that, and condolences - my grandparents are still very much missed, many years after they passed.