closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Iphone 5s instead of latest 6?

Iphone 5s instead of latest 6?

Apologies for another thread on Iphones but I thought it deserved a discussion of its own.

Having seen my wife with her 6 for a few weeks now, I've been thinking of getting a 5s instead.

They've made the 6 too thin and much like a Samsung which puts me off it. The build of the previous 'phones is more bulky and solid.

I wouldn't usually not go for the latest technology but am considering it here as I don't think there is much difference functionally - the bigger screen being the biggest.

It will save me a bit of money too, although cost is not the driving factor.

Anyone got thoughts on this?

Craftsman
    I have a 5s.

I spoke with a mate who works at O2 retail about swapping

He said there's no point at all, unless I wanted a bigger screen/real estate unless I needed the fancier camera.

As all I do is photograph my watch collection whilst I'm sat on the loo there was no point.

Wife wants my 5 so I'm thinking of getting a 5s.

I like the size of it, I have mine in my pocket whilst cycling to work and worry the 6 is too large and thin for this.

I had a 5 which I sold some time ago and have been using a Galaxy S4 from work for some time. I've now got a personal iPhone 6 and can tell you that the build quality and feel of the 6 is streets ahead of the S4.
    I would agree that a 5s is a good alterative if you are not desperate for the latest and greatest. I really liked the iPhone 5 and would still be happy with one.

Journeyman
    I went from 5 to 6 and the size and speed are much much better for me. Not sure on the speed vs the 5s, but My usual opinion is that you will just have to upgrade a year sooner if you go for the older version, so may as well go for the latest version.

I do still use the 5 when I go out cycling though.

Just looks like the i6 and i6+ were just introduced to compete / catch up with the larger Android competitors,
    Xperia, HTC One, Samsung and LG, am I the only one that thinks the i6 looks like something from Samsung?

Personally I prefer the Android system but I am compelled to have an i5 for work and the 4s and 5s have a premium look and feel that I don't see on the i6, the larger screen and camera improvements wouldn't sway it for me.

Journeyman
    I only upgraded to the 6 because it didn't cost me anything.

There's really very little functional difference between the 5s and the 6 that you'd notice.

Even now, if I had to switch back "down" to the 5s for some reason, I'd more than happy to do so.

If you like the size of the 5s, I'd say go for it. Fantastic phone if you're into the Apple eco-system.

Shish

I got both of my son's the 6 and even though I'm not an iPhone user or fan boy the 6 just looks and feels slicker than the 5 and 5s they had previously. I especially like the screen bringy downy feature (whatever it's called) that lowers the top of the screen.

Master
    I went from a 4S to the 6 and have to say the 6 feels so much better. Probably doesn't help much from your 5S point of view though.

One thing to consider is the older the device the more it's going to struggle with advances in iOS and the more processor hungry apps.

I've gone from the 5s to a 6 plus, very happy with the upgrade. I absolutely love the larger screen as it's the only thing I missed from my android phone. There's a lot of apps I use which haven't been updated to the new screen size so they are just stretched which is a bit frustrating but there seems to be regular updates for this

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I had a 5s via work and had to give this back when I left. I then bought my own phone Samsung S5 and had this for a few months and decided to go back to the 5s as its such a great phone. My only gripe is the camera is poor compared to the S5.

The major difference (IMHO) between the 5S and the 6/+ is that the newer phone has got NFC.

Apple Pay went live in the US a few weeks ago and will probably launch in the UK next year. This was always one of the most appealing features of the 6 to me.

Apprentice
    I highly recommend the iPhone 6. It's a bit larger than the 5 and therefore easier to see. Great phone.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    The major difference (IMHO) between the 5S and the 6/+ is that the newer phone has got NFC.

Apple Pay went live in the US a few weeks ago and will probably launch in the UK next year. This was always one of the most appealing features of the 6 to me.
    Having tried NFC I think just swiping a contactless card is quicker and actually more practical as you might be using the phone as you pay. NFC is in its infancy and within 2-3 years you will be paying for everything with fingerprint recognition which will be perfect as it's very secure and you always have your fingers! (Remember you heard that here first!)
    RIAC

Master
    Hmmm interesting - not sure how true though http://www.imore.com/court-rules-cop...-unlock-iphone

I went from a 4 to a 6 and hated it so the 6 went back, I found the 6 too large for me. After looking at the android alternatives I decided to buy a 5s. It's a little larger than the 4 but I got to keep my apps and I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Having tried NFC I think just swiping a contactless card is quicker and actually more practical as you might be using the phone as you pay. NFC is in its infancy and within 2-3 years you will be paying for everything with fingerprint recognition which will be perfect as it's very secure and you always have your fingers! (Remember you heard that here first!)
    I've already got plenty of contactless cards and now, due to 'card clash', it's bit of a faff getting the right one out of my pocket in order to swipe it. My 'phone is much more likely to be in my hand and the chance of me being on the 'phone whilst needing to pay for something is very, very slim. NFC on my iPhone also means that I won't have to take some cards (such as my Oyster card) out with me.

Paying for everything with fingerprint recognition in 2 years??? No chance. If it was to happen, it would probably be more likely to be in 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Hmmm interesting - not sure how true though http://www.imore.com/court-rules-cop...-unlock-iphone
    If they really want your password here then they'd get court order or simply hit you until you typed it in. It depends on what they think is on it. PINs and fingerprints are there to deter thieves, not the Law.

A timely question for me too; I have a 4 which is just too sluggish now and was wondering about a 5s.
    Thanks.

I'd rather give a mugger my phone, watch, card etc. than my finger.

As to the topic, I've never been too keen on having the latest and greatest, so I've bought the previous gen. iPhone. I'm now on my second, the 4S, and I have no reason to upgrade it, as it's working flawlessly. If it were to break, I'd surely get the 5S.

within 2-3 years you will be paying for everything with fingerprint recognition which will be perfect as it's very secure and you always have your fingers!
    We won't use biometric info for super secure transactions.

Current biometric data is no good for passwords. It's a good username, but too easy to hack and there's no way back.

Once your biometric data has been compromised you are screwed. You can't change your fingerprint or your retina.

To the original question, the 5s and the 6 are almost identical and I think the 5s is nicer looking. If the price difference is non-trivial, I'd get the 5s.

Thanks for the input, chaps.

General sentiment then is that there's not much to choose between the two aside from the bigger screen/NFC/improved camera/faster inner workings which probably won't be a significant issue anyway for most users.

I'm a fan of the bigger screen generally but it's a shame they couldn't elongate the 'phone without making it so thin. I feel it's lost its Apple build and feel with this latest incarnation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got paws rather than hands, and like the size of my 5 so I'm giving it another year of service. I like the idea of the OIS on the 6+ but walk along the streets using Apple Maps with a secure grip? Only in my dreams :-(

If I could get a 5s, 64GB, VGC then I'd be very happy.

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking the very same and good timely thread.

My aged 5 is playing up a tad and I had to do a full restore yesterday and I was thinking do I really need a 6.

How have chaps found the step up from a 5 to 5S??

Ta
    Paul

Grand Master
    I got the iPhone 6 & 6+ on release and did think 'its just a bit better than the old one' but when it really hits home is when you have used one for a month or so and then try using the 5s, it seems like you have cateracts, looks dated, and so small even compared to standard 6. I would still advocate that upgrading is up to you but once you have then downgrading is a big drop
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    If they really want your password here then they'd get court order or simply hit you until you typed it in. It depends on what they think is on it. PINs and fingerprints are there to deter thieves, not the Law.
    And that's why my company will not allow us to take IT (phone/laptop) into the US. Their laws are too loosly written.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    How have chaps found the step up from a 5 to 5S??
    Once you've used Touch ID, you'll wonder how you lived without it.