closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious collection doubts

Serious collection doubts

I had a catch-up with a fellow TZer last night, over a couple of pints and a rather nice lasagne. Saw some seriously nice watches too, one or two of which were a little left of centre (which makes a very nice change).

Anyway, we were talking about keepers, variety, etc and something dawned on my that took me somewhat by surprise; the last four watches I bought (which are the first four here) are actually all I would ever need and more, and in fact are the watches that I'm wearing pretty much exclusively right now. I could perhaps add the Daytona to include a chronograph, but even that would be fairly excessive in terms of what I actually need.

This morning I woke up thinking that four or five watches really does appeal, to the extent that I'm feeling drawn towards selling all the others and using the time I spend on watch forums to learn a language, or wander around with my camera... lots of things might appeal, in fact, given the time that could be freed up.

Anyone having similar thoughts, or is it just the onset of winter?

Reduce the number of watches Tony, and get out and about with your camera. You could even get some ND grads and use your chrono to time the long exposures! Think about it, a real use for a chrono........ ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Groundhog Day

Craftsman
    I agree! I just picked up my 5711 yesterday. I now have 5 great watches: PP. 5167, 5711, 5146 and Rolex 5513 and 16700.
    I think that is all I'll ever need. To be honest I was almost thinking about ditching the 16700 although it's nice to have another daily option when I fancy a change from the 5513. Last night I still spent too much time looking on watch forums and for what? I think we all need a bit of a break now and then and I for one could definitely do with another hobby or interest.

Master
    Over the last few weeks I've had my 16710 on the wrist pretty much continuously, apart from when I'm riding my pizza bike (seiko monster for that).
    Those two watches really do seem to be all I need, and I have been seriously considering selling up the rest, putting the cash in with my savings and buying a rental property.
    A different reason to yourself, but a similar quandary.

I got more into photography, it now means I spend more time on the net as I'm on here and now Instagram as well ;-)

Banned
    Thanks for the invite - in fact, never mind, I don’t like lasagne

You seem to have very similar watches within a super, diverse collection.

For a start, you don’t need more than one beater (maybe keep a digital, for alarm etc.), more than one tool (SD4000), more than one dress (I’d flog the DB personally) and one vintage (sell the 5513 and I will never speak to you again).

No charge. Well, maybe a curry next time I’m down...

Interestingly i had not dissimilar thoughts last week and spent last night, cleaning up and boxing up watch i don't wear on a regular basis, as opposed to, ooooh i haven't worn that for ages

ended up boxing up 7 watches, leaving only 7 and in all honesty i wouldn't be surprised if another 2-3 go away at some point

the problem is i have another 2 on order

i don't have any plans to sell things, maybe the answer is to have a small number on regular rotation and then "rediscover" pieces and rotate them into the collection

i don't know

I couldn't agree more Tony. I decided some time ago that four was the ideal number.

I haven't managed it yet because, once bought, I struggle to let them go again and there's at least three of Eddie's that I'm wanting to buy.

The wife's found a new house she wants and in order to get it I'm going to need to raise some capital. So if it comes off then it'll spur me on to rationalise my collection.

I can see myself with the following :-

PRS22, PRS36, PRS40 (optional) and Smiths Seafire.

I'll also keep my Aramar Arctic Ocean.

The total cost will be less than £1500.

I'll miss the Seadweller though but I don't think I'll really miss any of the others.

Craftsman
    Is it not just the watches thing but your whole upheaval in your life that might be precipitating this feeling for a need for change?

I think getting out and about is a good thing, especially with the photography. Broaden your horizons and all that jazz. But you have said this before about your collection.

Don't give this place up though. It's kept me pretty sane during my divorce, following the fun and games in the BP, lusting after things I don't need or can afford in SC.

Craftsman
    I've been selling mine off. Down to six but could prob make that four. I find I'm enjoying the keepers more.

Ah first world problems.:)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think there is some kind of ebb and flow about the way our attitude to numbers in collection works. I am pretty sure there is no science to it, and very little logic, which is why I don't worry or concern myself with it. The why's and wherefores of collecting tend to stray into the realms of Psychology, which is a very very long way from science and at best has a tenuous connection with logic. I was very happy with around 25 watches. For reasons nothing to do with watches , it is now around 15 dwelling in the watch boxes. I am largely OK about the reduction, but at some point I will miss one or more of those departed and thus buy similar again. The flow will then commence once more.
    This is a thing of emotion, of feeling, of desire, driven by some fairly complex and subconscious cues, you may find a psychologist who thinks to understand it, you certainly won't find two who think they understand it in the same way. For me it falls within a category of things I choose not to examine. Instead I accept them and let them happen, by and large, they bring happiness and do little harm.
    I certainly stopped a long time ago from trying to attach any kind of practical logic, such as do I actually need to know the date, or use a chrono. I don't even care what time it is FFS

Master
    I went through exactly the same situation with my collection last year and by Feb this year I was down to my IWC 3228, Tudor 9411, Tudor Heritage Blue and my trusty Smiths Everest.

My baby daughter keeps me occupied these days and I dip in and out of the forum. For a fleeting moment I thought about adding another watch to my collection and thanks to Burnsey, I picked up the vintage Doxa that's been doing the rounds - Lasted a week before I passed it on to someone else.

I recently decided to sell my modern Tudor purely because I came to realise my perfect size is 40mm, plus I never use the chrono function, not even for timing eggs. I've been flaunting the idea of a GMT for a very long time now and happened to be in the right place at the right time last Friday and should be picking up my 16710 next week. It seems to be the perfect match for my small collection, especially as we're looking to divide our time between the UK and overseas in the not to distant future. What I've found for the past 10 months is I've been wearing and enjoying my collection equally, albeit the heritage less over the past couple of months which motivated the change.

Good luck with your decision and if my Rolex purchase goes tits up next week I'll be giving you a nudge for your GMT ;)

ATB
    Aaron

I'm clearly not alone then, and I think Tim summed it up rather nicely (what else would you expect from a writer ;)).

I should say now that my vintage Rolexes are very much spoken for, so there's no point anyone getting excited on that front. My - amazing, it has to be said - GO PC gets worn about once a month, and whilst it would be hard to let it go I've come to the conclusion that in real terms I'd barely notice. The others are all lovely watches, but they wouldn't keep me up at night not being here. As has been hinted at above (and as I know all too well), there are more important things in life to worry about.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th November 2014 at 11:44.

Master
    Chaps

Collecting is a weird thing, it is important when you are doing it but eventually you realise that you are doing it for the pure sake of it.

I have over 80 vintage fountain pens and I use just two of them. The simple truth is that I may as well sell them to someone who appreciates them more. But I hang on to them for some strange reason unknown to man because I cannot bear to let them go..

The same applies to watches. In reality you do not need more than six and you could get away with just two.

I have made a rule, no more than six of anything from now on.

Regards

Mick

Master
    I seem to remember you expressing similar thoughts before Tony, and as others have said, it seems to be the ebb and flow of the hobby/addiction?

If you want more watches, buy them, if you want fewer, sell some. i think there is a risk of over thinking things sometimes.

I have a few 'hobbies'/passions, and I seem to spend money on or sell off things depending on whether my interest is focussed on watches, cars, photography or remote control aircraft at any particular moment.

I'm not very good at delaying gratification I'm afraid, but fortunately it doesn't matter.

I agree the first 4 are the standout pieces there - I could consider sacrificing the DD or the JLC to keep the 16750 though. Vintage perfection and lovely as the 5513 is, it just looks like the Sea-Dweller.

Daytona is easy come, easy go, you'll find another if you miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I think there is some kind of ebb and flow about the way our attitude to numbers in collection works. I am pretty sure there is no science to it, and very little logic, which is why I don't worry or concern myself with it. The why's and wherefores of collecting tend to stray into the realms of Psychology, which is a very very long way from science and at best has a tenuous connection with logic. I was very happy with around 25 watches. For reasons nothing to do with watches , it is now around 15 dwelling in the watch boxes. I am largely OK about the reduction, but at some point I will miss one or more of those departed and thus buy similar again. The flow will then commence once more.
    This is a thing of emotion, of feeling, of desire, driven by some fairly complex and subconscious cues, you may find a psychologist who thinks to understand it, you certainly won't find two who think they understand it in the same way. For me it falls within a category of things I choose not to examine. Instead I accept them and let them happen, by and large, they bring happiness and do little harm.
    I certainly stopped a long time ago from trying to attach any kind of practical logic, such as do I actually need to know the date, or use a chrono. I don't even care what time it is FFS
    Very well put. It all makes sense to me now - I'm clueless to why but I love it and that's it. As for your last comment, it hit a chord in as much as I love to wear watches, I rarely note the time when I look at them and generally don't care what time it is anyhow. Bizarre but true .

In regards to Tony's post, I get more enjoyment owning a few than I did when I owned many and currently correcting past regrets and limiting my number to 6 is making it all the more better.

It's just the lead-up to Christmas - don't worry it will pass.

Banned
    A beater, a Chrono, a Diver and only if needed a dressy watch is all you will need. I've trimmed down my collection over the last few years and will stick to one in one out policy from now on.

As regards watches, I really don't appreciate why more than 3-5 watches (covering several bases) are needed in a daily rotational collection. Any more and one can't (in my opinion) give them sufficient time or appreciation.

As regards the forum, I am often amazed at how much time members spend on here, some people rarely leave the place. I pop in now and again, but I couldn't give more time than this as there are too many other demands in life (job, family, church, sport). However, I think you make a meaningful valuable contribution to this forum, and you have made many friends here, so I think for you the time you spend here is valuable and is not time or effort wasted. However, I would certainly not argue against you re-balancing your priorities and taking up another hobby to add some diversity and a new interest to your life. I think that finding a happy medium is important, and accept that this can change with time.

Master
    Fully agree that 3 or 4 are all that you need.

I have now gone down to three which will not increase although i may fine tune the collection.

I can remember when you tried to get yourself down to 6-watches Tony.

My self imposed limit is 3.
    3-dress watches
    3-holiday watches
    3-work watches
    4-cheap project watches and repairs
    3-vintage pocket watches
    2-project pocket watches
    2-stopwatches

Master
    I have a fantasy end game of three or four great watches. I imagine this as something for the future, which is strange, as I could more or less do it right now but I'd have to lose a few that I'm too attached to and still enjoying. So it will be a gradual process via slimming down to six (already hard choices are required to achieve that). But that's the general trend, two out, one in. I think you've got the right idea, but don't forget that the addiction is to acquiring watches, not to owning them!

Blog Entries
    I think the point already made about over analysing things is a pretty reasonable observation...

After coping well with 2 watches for many years within the space of a year on here I had 13 watches... I Now have 5 and a g shock... I like them all (at the moment!!!) and wear them all (some more than others)

I might get a new one (not yet) I might not... I may want to keep everything I currently own, or I may not... I'm quite good at getting a little obsessive about thing (I'm sure many/ most on here could relate to that)

Enjoy what you have or sell them... Even buy a new one if you like... Just dont worry about it too much!!!

Being pragmatic you don't need a watch at all unless your job or lifestyle require it. If you want to tell the time the one watch will suffice, in fact that is what I had for many years.

The only reason that I have more than one watch is because I have some disposable income and want something tangible (actually it's slightly more complicated than that), before watches it was cars, before cars it was HiFi, before that it was electronics, the want to collect or be absorbed must be a failing (or strength) in my personality. Having more than my basic need of food and shelter means that I'm very fortunate but I do know that.

As others have said it's the finding, researching and buying part of collecting that's fun not the owning.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing about your initial post concerns me greatly Tony.

Lasagne!

Master
    You have a lovely collection and for me, the GMT would also have to stay as well as the four plus the Daytona you mentioned. I don't have any collection worth mentioning and so can't really advise but Java seems to have a healthy approach. Just go with the ebb and flow of the hobby and if you fancy a change, then why not give it a go and see what happens. I suppose philosophically speaking, watches will never be able to sustain and nourish quite like art, music, people or a beautiful flower or landscape, which in the grand scheme of things, is how it should be.

Enjoy.

Tony,
    Am sure all of us have these moments and usually they are transitory. But, it is indeed a good thing to devote time to other things we enjoy. You certainly could put your photography skills to more use👍

- - - Updated - - -

Tony,
    Am sure all of us have these moments and usually they are transitory. But, it is indeed a good thing to devote time to other things we enjoy. You certainly could put your photography skills to more use👍

Journeyman
    I'll happily take a 5513 off your hands :-)

More seriously though I think we all go through cycles of what we like, I do it with everything I own. As long as the others aren't depreciating I would hold on to them and only let them go if you don't wear them for a year or more.

Blog Entries
    I have these feelings at times but if the ones which are on the verge of leaving are holding their money why flog.?? Better to have something nice to look at rather than making diddly squat in the bank.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post

As others have said it's the finding, researching and buying part of collecting that's fun not the owning.
    So it is often said, but does it have to be so? Is continual flipping really a path to contentment with a collection.

I have never owned the grade of watch which is currency to Tony, or sold a single watch, so this is only well intended speculation, but I do know that for me to own and then lose a hard won, exquisite watch capable of serving me for my remaining days, would be a wholly dissatisfying experience. I can never own all the desirable watches in the world, but those which will always be mine regardless, are a lasting source of enjoyment.
    When I overdo the watch thing, they get hibernated into the safe and I go TZ-UK cold turkey for a while, it's quite liberating and rejuvenating - especially when I go out and do something different in the meantime. You are well liked here Tony, it would be a shame for you to walk away altogether.

Peter

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There's always ebb and flow and changes in taste and direction.

The 5513 and 16750 are irreplaceable though, in that condition. Id keep them over the dornbluth and daytona by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    There's always ebb and flow and changes in taste and direction.

The 5513 and 16750 are irreplaceable though, in that condition. Id keep them over the dornbluth and daytona by a mile.
    Know what you mean, Celia, but the DB is one of 50 - I'd never find another one. It's also a style that I like, wear a lot and will always have a use for - and it's beautiful.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I guess.
    But still no ;-)

At least keep the gmt. That (IMO) is a gem.

I think I would keep all the Rolex and sell the rest... But that's my preference. I'd certainly sell the plastic stuff and the Seikos. ;)

I'm down to 6 (which is by coincidence your pervious target).

These are PP 5712; GMTc; GV; Zenith Big Date Pilot Special; JLC Master compressor Geographic and vintage Speedy Mk II racing dial.

I thought getting the PP would solve the flipping/chasing thing .....and I am not sure it does. Nor will any watch purchase. If we are interested in watches then we will seek, chase, acquire, flip.

Saying "these 4 will do" just indicates to me that you have "had enough" of the routine - and "had enough" may mean you've lost interest in watches, realize its all a waste of time; have other interests you wish to pursue etc.

I'm really really happy with my 6, and happened to be taking off the PP just a few minutes ago after a weekend of wear and had the watch box out of the safe. My wife wanted to look at the collection (not a WIS but she has a 35mm YM so has some taste) and said ..."you've room for another Rolex"....and truth be told a ceramic LV has always appealed ......but then I thought I would just have 7 watches all fighting for wrist time, because I honestly cannot see me moving on any of the 6. I really enjoy wearing them all, albeit they do not get equal wrist time.

The irony is that I am a still getting used to wearing the PP and am ultra careful not to scratch it. Five years ago I would have felt the same about the JLC, but acquiring the PP has made me more comfortable to wear the others when normally I would have reached for the GMT ....so not sure what conclusions you can reach from this, other than if you are still getting enjoyment from ownership why sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I think I would keep all the Rolex and sell the rest...
    I agree ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    So it is often said, but does it have to be so? Is continual flipping really a path to contentment with a collection.

I have never owned the grade of watch which is currency to Tony, or sold a single watch, so this is only well intended speculation, but I do know that for me to own and then lose a hard won, exquisite watch capable of serving me for my remaining days, would be a wholly dissatisfying experience. I can never own all the desirable watches in the world, but those which will always be mine regardless, are a lasting source of enjoyment.
    When I overdo the watch thing, they get hibernated into the safe and I go TZ-UK cold turkey for a while, it's quite liberating and rejuvenating - especially when I go out and do something different in the meantime. You are well liked here Tony, it would be a shame for you to walk away altogether.

Peter
    Thanks Peter. It's more a rebalancing of my time that I have in mind - and I'm determined to learn Spanish so that I can understand/try to converse with Bea's family and friends over in Tenerife.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I think I would keep all the Rolex and sell the rest... But that's my preference. I'd certainly sell the plastic stuff and the Seikos. ;)
    Errrr...
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th November 2014 at 21:36.

Hehe, you know I'm only half joking ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always ask myself these questions. And if it's fun or just stressful... I'm not sure right now...

Master
    First two yes, that's the diver and dress covered and then I'd probably go a bit chunkier than the Daytona for the Chrono - possibly (probably) a Breitling or Omega and I think in titanium to add a little diversity of material. Add a bit of plastic, g-shock for sure and I reckon you're done 😉

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ... using the time I spend on watch forums to learn a language, or wander around with my camera... lots of things might appeal, in fact, given the time that could be freed up.
    That's the key bit, I feel. Forum-dwelling ( chance for a future Rolex model there, surely ... ) at first promotes the interest and desire for watches, or cameras, or cars, or pens or whatever the item. Then at some point, perhaps, the forum-dweller ( aha ! ) finds the collecting serves the forum activity, rather than the other way around.

Keep the watches for a while, but unplug from the forum. If that proves a little challenging, it's not the watches.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    That's the key bit, I feel. Forum-dwelling ( chance for a future Rolex model there, surely ... ) at first promotes the interest and desire for watches, or cameras, or cars, or pens or whatever the item. Then at some point, perhaps, the forum-dweller ( aha ! ) finds the collecting serves the forum activity, rather than the other way around.

Keep the watches for a while, but unplug from the forum. If that proves a little challenging, it's not the watches.

Paul
    Tony, I was going to reply in a similar vein to Paul. I would hold onto the watches for now - unless you need the money urgently - and get out there to start doing some of the things on your list, rather than hanging around the watch forums. You will probably find you feel differently about things through that experience and can move them on then, but if you dont your collection is intact.

When i swapped screen time for more productive pursuits i worked out I only 'needed' 2 watches. Not always the same 2, but only 2.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Paul
    Very insightful and good advice.

Java and paul make very good points. Java is particularly insightful , although i am loathe to acknowledge this fact because he once aggressively lowballed me on a bass ukulele. Its not about the watches. " all that we are , arises from our thoughts - by our thoughts we make the world "
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The thing that would give me pause over the conisderation of whether you're now at a point you can be happy and move on is that fact that your perfect four keepers just happen to be the last four watches you bought.

What's more likely? That despite having gone through dozens (hundreds) of purchases and flips in the past and never quite hitting the spot with the collection, that out of the blue, your each of your latest four choices just happen to be the perfect choice of watch to fill a hole in a four watch collection, just happen to become available and for an (acpetable) deal and all of of them together one after the other like a string of buses.

Or that maybe just getting so many nice watches in succession has left you overloaded with that new purchase honeymoon period where you're convinced the new watch is the best ever and they're all fighting for wrist time, pushing out the rest of the collection, making them seem redundant?

I reckon it wouldn't be long before the shine wears off and you'd be looking again, either because you're bored of what you have or just spot something else that sparks your desire.

Personally, I've set categories of function; daily beater, casual, smart casual, smart, dress, flipper. For me it keeps things under control allows me a long term goal of the 'perfect' useful collection with one nice watch for each of those occasions eaily being enough and then having a specific slot for flipper allows me to experiement and experience new watches and enjoy that side of the 'hobby' without having to give up something from another slot that I may regret. (Although, even then, the casual/smart casual thing is just a contrivance to allow me to hang onto both my Speedy and GMT).
    Last edited by Uriel; 10th November 2014 at 08:53.

That's frighteningly familiar :)