closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interstellar (the movie) SPOILERS INSIDE

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Interstellar (the movie) SPOILERS INSIDE

Just come back from seeing this, been waiting months and love all of NoLans films!!

Eagerly sat in my Premier seat at the Odeon to be absolutely blown away once more!

Three hours and a numb arse later, I've just come away from the cinema having seen a visually spectacular movie but strangely I feel unmoved, and almost cheated.

The acting is superb, the story is great, effects amazing, humour (from the droid TARS, who has a user-defined sense of humour percentage, and 90% honesty setting as it's not always best to be 100% truthful) but it just didn't quite fit together as it should.

Disappointed to say the least!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted to hear that, I've been looking forward to this film all year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Just come back from seeing this, been waiting months and love all of NoLans films!!

Eagerly sat in my Premier seat at the Odeon to be absolutely blown away once more!

Three hours and a numb arse later, I've just come away from the cinema having seen a visually spectacular movie but strangely I feel unmoved, and almost cheated.

The acting is superb, the story is great, effects amazing, humour (from the droid TARS, who has a user-defined sense of humour percentage, and 90% honesty setting as it's not always best to be 100% truthful) but it just didn't quite fit together as it should.

Disappointed to say the least!!!
    Damn was looking forward to this film, but then had the same experience with Prometheus............Disappointment

Journeyman
    Just got back too.

Thought it was amazing. I love space/time stuff, reminded me of the abyss but in space

Liked the Hamilton wstches too :)

Think I will wait for the DVD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by munchies View Post
    Damn was looking forward to this film, but then had the same experience with Prometheus............Disappointment

I went with my mate, as my wife doesn't do sci-fi, and he said it reminded him of Prometheus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Just got back too.

Thought it was amazing. I love space/time stuff, reminded me of the abyss but in space

Liked the Hamilton wstches too :)
    Amazing, yeah agreed. Just not as amazing as I expected....

Journeyman
    Amazing, yeah agreed. Just not as amazing as I expected....
    Fair enough

Also thought the sound was awesome. Some scenes really loud and bass. Defo a film for cinema
    Last edited by bigup; 9th November 2014 at 00:06. Reason: typo

Went last night. Usually a fan of sci-fi but this is utter, utter bilge. Could have saved myself an extra two hours of my life if I'd left early. I feel cheated. You should come out of a cinema feeling is if you've had your money's worth at least. But this has more plot holes than a string vest. Lead actor speaks in an annoying whispered drawl as if his jaw is wired together. No coherent character development. The first hour is a snooze-fest. Just couldn't relate to any of the characters and hoped that they would all be swallowed by the black hole as soon as possible. Annoying repetitive 'music'. More cheese than Tesco's. 'Love is the 5th dimension'? Give me a break. The only good thing in it was the Hamilton Team Earth! Hollywood at its worst. Avoid.

Master
    I went with my mate, as my wife doesn't do sci-fi, and he said it reminded him of Prometheus.

Yeah my other half isn't a lover of sci-fi too, but more to the point how did you find it and was your mate, who thought it was similar to Prometheus, was he disappointed too?

I'll probably go to the cinema, just for the visuals, (and Anne Hathaway of course), but I'm not surprised at what has been said and don't expect to consider it good, which is ridiculous considering the money spent on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by munchies View Post
    Yeah my other half isn't a lover of sci-fi too, but more to the point how did you find it and was your mate, who thought it was similar to Prometheus, was he disappointed too?
    I found it disappointing, as mentioned above, and so did he, as he was for Prometheus (co-incidentally the LAST movie we watched together due to our non-scifi wives!)

Craftsman
    for what its worth, I've just taken my son and 4 of his mates (all 13 / 14) - it kept them quiet for 3 hours and I enjoyed it in a popcorn sort of way, much better than Prometheus.......

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    for what its worth, I've just taken my son and 4 of his mates (all 13 / 14) - it kept them quiet for 3 hours and I enjoyed it in a popcorn sort of way, much better than Prometheus.......
    Something at least, as that was beyond awful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    Something at least, as that was beyond awful.
    I thought Prometheus was reasonable, certainly not awful. It was just over-hyped, and never hit the heights expected.......

Blog Entries
    Wife and I both thought that this film was utter pants, disappointed to say the least, bad script, medico acting (partly due to bad script) and to much sentiment in it, total waste of an afternoon.

I clearly didn't see the same film as you lot....I thought it was excellent.

Craftsman
    I enjoyed the film, but it wasn't his best work.
    It felt it was around an hour too long, would benefit from cutting out half the dialogue (talk about waffling and overly explaining everything to the audience..), and there were a number of pointless scenes (the drone scene at the start for example), plus a number of nice but half-baked ideas.

To summarize;
    Enjoyable, but too long and self-indulgent. 3 / 5

Blog Entries
    Future advanced humans — so advanced that they actually live in five dimensions — set up a whole scenario so that Cooper would be able to tell himself where to find NASA. Yet the best means of communicating with the past is the malfunctioning secondhand of a wristwatch?

Blog Entries
    Plenty of plot holes but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Visually stunning.

Master
    I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but after the weekends reviews I don't have high expectations.

Out of interest, is the Jurassic World trailer shown? It was meant to premier with Interstellar and I think I'm looking forward to that more than Interstellar itself.

EDIT: Just googled it and apparently JW now premiers with The Hobbit:The Battle of the Five Armies
    Last edited by kevkojak; 10th November 2014 at 13:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Plenty of WORM holes but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Visually stunning.
    Corrected that for you.

:)

Blog Entries
    Excellence captain lol I like that ....

Master
    Saw it yesterday and its okay overall, good in places but as others have said plot holes you could drive a double decker through. Visually stunning though.

Now if you want something really stella then look here.... :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIot-vgqJBA

So they travel billions of miles to a completely different galaxy in the far reaches of space to find a stranded astronaut who's been cryosleep for decades…and the first thing they do is have a punch up!

Master
    I thought it was great. But with two caveats I guess - firstly I saw it I'm 70mm IMAX and if you don't see it like that you kind of haven't seen it at all. And secondly, it's almost a loving tribute to the 2001 a space odyssey era of hard yet pholosophical sci-fi. If you love somber and thoughtful 70s sci-fi then this will be a treat from beginning to end.

Grand Master
    Not read anything about it so don't know jack about it etc.

But I'll guess an American movie?,and if so I expect an overdose of action hero type stuff and super far fetched situations.

Craftsman
    I really enjoyed this film. Great visuals, good story line in places and yet a bit of schmaltz too.

For me the three hours felt like two!

I went with my 13 year old son at the weekend - he loved it, I was completely unmoved - just had so many daft coincidences and plot holes, a silly score and I managed to guess most of what happened - incredibly pretentious and silly imho. Prometheus had some really stupid scenes and plot points too - probably the worst film I've ever seen in that regard - but at least it was fun and entertaining. I really can't remember much about interstellar now and I only saw it 3 days ago! I can't imagine ever watching it again even when it appears on sky - totally 'meh'. I much preferred guardians of the galaxy which may indicate my taste in films! I like to be entertained and/or challenged by a movie, not just plain bored by it!

I went to see it last night. Huge disappointment, and Sci-Fi is my favourite genre.

Genuinely this is the worst film I have seen in a very long time – nearly three arse-numbing hours long and it felt even longer.

It is mostly a rip-off of “Contact”, but has none of the character interest, plot, spectacle, intelligence or pace.

I don’t get to the cinema often, and only really when I make a special effort for what I think is going to be a major film. There was actually pretty much nothing I liked about it.

If you haven’t seen it, wait for it on DVD, and then don’t bother.

If you like "hard sci-fi" read Stephen Baxter, or if you want planet colonisation - the amazing Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. "Interstellar" is neither clever, insightful or profound. It is simply ponderous, clunky and entirely unmoving. The excellent "Contact", by someone who really understands this kind of stuff, Carl Sagan, is not just superior in every respect, it manages to pack about five times the story into an hour less running time. I'm afraid that Nolan has made a total turkey with this, and someone else should have edited it, as the first hour could be comfortably cut to ten minutes or less, the second hour in half, and the final hour by at least as much. There is about an hour and a half movie here, at the most.

Oh, and the special effects are poor, the planets desperately dull and underwhelming - knee-high water world, and Iceland. But without anything other than the ice. Made dustbowl Earth look like paradise.

Awful, awful, awful.

Blog Entries
    Have you seen the original script?Looks far better than the one they made....
    Last edited by igorRIJEKA; 20th November 2014 at 12:21.

Master
    I have avoided this thread because it mentions spoilers and I wanted to see the movie. Well I went tonight and now wish I had read this thread earlier and not wasted an evening. Very disappointed.

I did go and see it yesterday, and was disappointed.

It started better than I expected, but at the half way point went rapidly downhill for me.

It could have been so much better, the whole bit with Matt Damon I found totally pointless, and it just got worse from there.

Even visually it did not blow me away.

Interstellar (the movie) SPOILERS INSIDE

Well I enjoyed it even though it got a bit silly near the end. You guys realise it isn't suppose to be a documentary!

I've got a few hours spare and thinking of watching this!

Is it worth a watch or not?

Not really. Re-watch 2001 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Not really. Re-watch 2001 instead.
    it does go very 2001 toward the end. Decent film though.

Someone here introduced me to Honest Trailers. They're awesome.

I was VERY disappointed when I saw it last year. Although the visuals and the general storyline are fine, there were way too many huge leaps in believability (and probability) to cause me to get invested in the film. It came off as more of a children's movie with its occasional trips through the absurd.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 17th May 2015 at 23:43.

Just watched it, I've endured worse things.