closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: SEIKO 6105 Re-lume Quandary

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave pip and dial original and just re-lume the hands to match.

17 70.83%
  • Re-lume dial and hands a lovely cream colour but leave pip grey

0 0%
  • Re-lume dial, hands and pip the same creamy colour

5 20.83%
  • Leave pip but re-lume dial and hands the same sort of colour as they are now which matches the pip

2 8.33%

Thread: Seiko 6105 Quandary, relume just hands, dial and hands or dial, hands and pip

Seiko 6105 Quandary, relume just hands, dial and hands or dial, hands and pip

Chaps

Please Vote in the Poll above.

Need some help and direction on this one!
    As you may have seen I’ve recently acquired a 6105 8110, as pictured below and Duncan (Cannop) will servicing it for me, changing the hands and doing a few other bits and bobs.

The minute is hand wrong for this watch and I’ve managed to find a replacement pair (minute and hour) which Duncan is going to send to James (dreramboat10) in a couple of weeks to relume.
    My thoughts are that there are 4 options as far as I can see:

1. leave pip original (and leave the dial original as they match) and just re-lume the hands to match. I’m sure James can get pretty close on that colour judging by the photos I’ve seen.
    2. Re-lume dial and hands a lovely cream colour but leave pip - OCD will drive me nuts as pip will be grey, or will it not be noticeable in real life (only noticeable in macro photos?)
    3. Re-lume dial, hands and pip the same creamy colour
    4. Leave pip but re-lume dial and hands the same sort of colour as they are now which matches the pip

Example creamy colour I'm thinking off for re-lume:

I'm hoping to get the same sort of texture and matt finish with the re-lume also.

Anyway, I’m a novice at this sort of thing so don’t know what is possible.

Thanks for your views.....
    Last edited by Thorien; 7th November 2014 at 20:53.

Master
    imho it's all down to personal preference or taste. I used to have a 6105 with relumed dial and hands

and still have this 6105 with relumed hands only

Speaking of (my) taste. I don't like a relumed 6105 dial and would only relume the hands if necessary, e.g. to protect the dial in case the hands already show black discoloration due to moisture. So, I would relume only the hands if necessary and keep the rest as is.

I recently picked up a 7548 with lumed hands only and it drove me nuts. So I sent it to dreamboat10, and I now have lume on hands, dial and pip to match the original colour.

Option 1 of just reluming the hands to match the dial / pip would be my preference if a good enough match can be made

For that watch, leave the dial and lume pip alone, and just relume the new hands to match. Your dial looks really very nice indeed with nicely toned lume and if you relume it, you will spoil it and certainly reduce its value. I doubt very much too that any relume could compete with the level of finish achieved with the original lume. So, to reiterate, for the love of god, leave the dial alone!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    For that watch, leave the dial and lume pip alone, and just relume the new hands to match. Your dial looks really very nice indeed with nicely toned lume and if you relume it, you will spoil it and certainly reduce its value. I doubt very much too that any relume could compete with the level of finish achieved with the original lume. So, to reiterate, for the love of god, leave the dial alone!

Martin
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mariod View Post
    imho it's all down to personal preference or taste.

Speaking of (my) taste. I don't like a relumed 6105 dial and would only relume the hands if necessary, e.g. to protect the dial in case the hands already show black discoloration due to moisture. So, I would relume only the hands if necessary and keep the rest as is.
    Thanks Mario, clicking on that first photo and zooming in is very useful as you can see the paste like texture of the re-lume on that particular watch. No grains or crystals.
    unfortunately, I have no choice with hands as they do have a bit of black on them and are the wrong colour.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    Option 1 of just reluming the hands to match the dial / pip would be my preference if a good enough match can be made
    This is the key I suppose, getting close enough a match as humanly possible!

Martin
    LOL! Love the candour Martin, have to admit I'm leaning that way, just wanted to guage the general consensus.
    Have to say the re-lumed dial above, posted by Mario, certainly doesn't look the same (texture wise) as the original lume.
    That would irk.
    Last edited by Thorien; 7th November 2014 at 17:20.

Martin
    +2

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    Agree with Martin; leave the dial alone.
    Regarding bonzo's comment can you get the replacement hands "colour-matched" to the dial but without a luminous material?
    Guessing bright hands only at night wouldn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeister View Post
    Agree with Martin; leave the dial alone.
    Regarding bonzo's comment can you get the replacement hands "colour-matched" to the dial but without a luminous material?
    Guessing bright hands only at night wouldn't look right.
    That I don't know but a good query.
    I'll ask James. Thanks.

EDIT: James says it's not really possible as the luminous material needs to be in the mix to get the texture right..
    Last edited by Thorien; 8th November 2014 at 20:42.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    +2
    +3

I would always want to keep a 6105 as original as possible. Any reluming if too obvious doesn't look right and will likely reduce the value. If at all possible leave it alone, - particularly the dial.

Ok so, this seems very clear atm.
    Just one vote for getting everything lumed.
    Everyone else to get just the hands lumed to match the dial or as close as possible.

I guess that's the way I'll be going. Will post back with results in a few weeks hopefully.
    Last edited by Thorien; 8th November 2014 at 21:05.

I'm still torn between leaving it as is or finding someone locally (Europe based) to vintage relume/service my all original birthyear 6105-8110, meanwhile it looks "the business" on a green nato

Last edited by thg74; 10th November 2014 at 21:27.

^^^ If that's the original lume don't do anything, it would be criminal!

Certainly different, I've not seen original lume that colour before?
    Looks good with that green nato :-)

Thank you, This pic has a filter. Let me add a regular picture. AFAIK is all original...

Last edited by thg74; 10th November 2014 at 22:47.

Ah that's why :-)
    I think leave it all alone will be the consensus, it's up to you though. What would you like to do?
    Last edited by Thorien; 10th November 2014 at 23:00.

Tks! Well, basically I'd like it to be serviced and replace all gaskets as to make it waterproof again for at least daily showering and occasional swimming. Original dial lume still glows a bit but fades right away. I already got a set of aftermarket hands that could go on it too...I've seen some examples so tastefully done (vintage reluming that is) that these owners have injected new life and will get another 40 years out of these beautiful vintage divers...
    Last edited by thg74; 11th November 2014 at 07:23.

Replacing all the gaskets to make it waterproof again should be OK apart from the crown seal AFAIK.
    As that was never made to be replaceable, it's difficult to get out and change. I think there are a few people that can do it though. IWW in the USA can.
    I'd leave the dial though and try and get replacement original hands rather than aftermarket ones.
    That's what I've done anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it goes.

It is already in the excellent original condition that I would want to buy a 6105. unmolested.
    The watch is only original once... So leave it alone.

Tks for the replies guys ! Would you be able to recommend someone (ideally Europe based) to fully service, replace gaskets and waterproof my watch without a half a year+ waiting period ? Cheers

I know there are quite a few people on the forum here who work on these. I'm getting mine serviced by 'Cannop'.
    You could try PM' ing him for advice, however that crown seal may be an issue (unless you can fins a NOS crown with a good seal, or go for an aftermarket crown).
    Others who have helped me include MartinCRC and Richie_101, they could also maybe adivse you.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Thorien; 11th November 2014 at 17:55.

Great ! I will PM Cannop. I'll repost back on my progress. Take care & tks for all your input

Blog Entries
    I would have left it as is.
    edit: Just saw the last pic. Would have resumed the hands to match the rest.