closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: President style day display on an inexpensive non-homage?

Master

President style day display on an inexpensive non-homage?

I'm looking for a watch with a curved day display at 12 around the £200 mark or lower (used is fine).

Main contenders so far are these:

I'm actually wondering since quartz would be better so I'm not always resetting the day but unfortunately the HK King Quartz has a lower day wheel that partially rather than wholly covers the date (otherwise it would be perfect). Any suggestions?

Master
    I seem to remember seeing on old Bulova that fitted the bill if you're happy with used. Looked very nice actually. Not quite sure about the budget but it was sensible, and looked very like the Rolex day date.

EDIT: there you go - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWISS-MADE...item51c397c64a

Too late for that one but they seem to come up and are on budget. Too homagey perhaps? But nice at the price.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 6th November 2014 at 17:06.

Master
    Nice for the money and I'd snap up a plain bezel version but as you say a bit on the homagey side - good spot though and not one I'd rule out...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one from SC years ago, Cyma Mine does not have a cyclops but many do. I really like it.

Tudor used to do them, but expect that will be over your budget.

Tissot couturier?

Looking at these earlier

Last edited by Montybaber; 6th November 2014 at 22:38.

Master
    Hamilton Khaki, I have one and it's lovely (pic from the net)...

Master
    Orient do one if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Indeed. Check out Creation - they have a few on there at the moment.

These are fitted with the ETA2834, a Google or eBay search should turn up a few more.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    These are fitted with the ETA2834, a Google or eBay search should turn up a few more.

Eddie
    Thanks, that makes the search for equivalent models much easier - the HK King may still be my favourite of the bunch...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Thanks, I was looking at these but not a fan of the multi date window at 6 on the ones I found on the creation site. If they still made this one...:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    I'm looking for a watch with a curved day display at 12 around the £200 mark or lower (used is fine).

Main contenders so far are these:

I'm actually wondering since quartz would be better so I'm not always resetting the day but unfortunately the HK King Quartz has a lower day wheel that partially rather than wholly covers the date (otherwise it would be perfect). Any suggestions?
    What's the "3" for next to the day display on the seagull?

Master
    3rd day of the week - Chinese days are numbered starting on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    3rd day of the week - Chinese days are numbered starting on Monday.
    Thanks. I assumed that but thought was too ridiculous!!

Master

President style day display on an inexpensive non-homage?

I'd assume it indicates that this is both for the Chinese and Western markets so is in a sense a bilingual display(!)

I could live with it but it's a largely discontinued model and the remaining stock is being sold at a premium...
    Last edited by Mr TPG; 8th November 2014 at 00:49.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    What's the "3" for next to the day display on the seagull?
    Day three of the week I reckon.

Too slow.

Blog Entries
    Second hand examples of this style of watch with ETA movements come up from time to time on eBay from the likes of Cyma, West End, and others, usually from India, Hong Kong, or south east Asian countries. Many of them are severely battered and prices have risen in the last couple of years, even for battered ones. For £200 you might still pick up an example in good condition. If you do get one don't forget that you might get hit for VAT when it is imported and you should also factor in the cost of a service when it arrives.

As mentioned above, Orient have also made watches in this style for some time. To the best of my knowledge they have never done an Orient Star model like this but they nevertheless have (or used to have) two level of quality for this style: One was the premium version with sapphire crystal and the other was the standard version with mineral glass (or perhaps acrylic).

I have two West Ends and a premium Orient in this style, which I luckily bought before prices went too high. If I remember correctly two of them came direct from India or Hong Kong and one came from a guy who was importing watches from India and selling them on eBay from the UK. One of the West Ends is one of my favourite watches: The day and date snap over instantly at midnight and I find it particularly pleasing to watch.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th November 2014 at 18:08.

These come up on E-Bay occasionally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    These come up on E-Bay occasionally.

Very nice. That's the sort I was thinking of when I wrote my message above.

In fact I have an identical model to that one sitting on my desk in front of me right now.

For anyone who is uncertain, the name is 'Sowar' (not 'Sowan'), although eBay vendors often get it wrong. Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sowar

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Very nice. That's the sort I was thinking of when I wrote my message above.
    Isn't that a Rolex homage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Isn't that a Datejust homage?
    No it's not: It follows the Day-Date (aka President) style.

I know that Mr TPG asked for a "non-homage" but if you want the Day-Date layout then it is inevitably also a Day-Date homage to a greater or lesser extent.

** edit -- following your edit **
    It seems I replied to your message before you edited "Datejust" to become "Rolex". I know that Mr TPG was looking for something that was less, rather than more, of a Rolex Day-Date homage but I nevertheless think that these are excellent watches in the Day-Date style.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th November 2014 at 16:02.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies - while it's true I was looking for a non fluted bezel I'm interested in seeing all the options and pretty open to the various designs. Just relieved no-one's suggested anything at 8x the price so far!

Cream HK still edging it for now methinks, particularly as the seagull seems wholly discontinued, but there's enough out there I might give it some time to see what surfaces on the bay and various forums...

Craftsman
    I used to have a Hamilton King Khaki and it is a fantastic watch.I now have this Hamilton Khaki;larger at 41mm and it has very slightly domed anti reflective sapphire crystal(the King has very domed sapphire with no anti reflection).There is a considerable price difference too;but high street jewellers like Beaverbrooks do interest free credit........anyway here is another offering to consider