closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Asprey vintage leather straps

Asprey vintage leather straps

I recently purchased a vintage circa 1950's-70's asprey of London attaché case sadly my leather guy couldn't repair it :-( he had made me a couple of bespoke leather watch straps in the past he's not the cheapest but he's so OCD even the single piece strap he made me for my 53 fat arrow was perfection.

He also made a two piece two layer hand stitched vintage tapered for my longines Legend here.

So the other day I gave him the go ahead and late last night he send me a prototype of a single layer two piece in 20mm with a choice of two buckles slurrrp.

I'm glad to say I've got enough brief case for plenty more watch this space :-)

Forgot to picture to poor victim ;-)

Lovely straps. I have a similar case and can't bring myself to cut it up yet..one day

Master
    Amazing straps.

It's a crying shame to cut something like that up :(

What was wrong with it - something structural? Looks in decent repairable condition from that pic!

Those are some seriously nice straps. A lot of the vintage style straps I've seen lately seemed somewhat poorly executed. Your guy does very good work.

I've been trying to get my leather guy to go into a joint adventure with me on a few bits of older leathers I have obtained over the years of collecting leather goods. Thing is he's very good obsessive about quality which is why I like him but he won't shift on price even if I buy 20 off him as it stands a strap with my leather costs me £35 And a bit more for a two ply say £40-44 would these straps be worth £45-50? He charges an hourly rate which I suppose he can get repairing Louis Vitton trunks lol.
    If I went ahead would there be a market?

Imagine that one-piece on the PRS-40.

Master
    If you went ahead, you'd certainly get my business :)
    Amazing straps and detail.

Master
    Love the strap and I think your price is about right.

Picked up my finished strap at the weekend and worn it in on my Blackbay homage. I've been rolling the leather about a bit to weather it a bit more and it looks amazing. I hope these pictures do it justice.

He's just finished an Asprey strap for my late dads 1960's avia 9ct gold watch as it has fixed bars and a 20mm to 16mm strap for my good mate and first customer Tom Dick he's a stickler for quality so let's hope it passes his quality control :-)

Baden

That's lovely. The leather looks like it will develop some attractive patina with wear.

Is be interested, always room for another quality strap maker. I have my dad's gold omega de ville that needs a new strap.

Master
    The strap looks great, really suits the watch.
    Any news on the strap making venture?

I'd like to see what Tom thinks of his before I venture into it.
    The case has been totally disassembled there is about 3 different shades the outside obviously has the most patina the inside is fresher but has more scratches etc the leather is still quite firm so single ply might be the best with the natural leather side inside if that makes sense ?

Watch this space :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Imagine that one-piece on the PRS-40.
    Imagine that one piece on my 29b :))
    My mouths watering looking at those straps.

Thanks for the positive feedback ;-) I've decided to wear these straps in for a few days or so just to make sure there's no major flaws I'll keep posting pictures. There's only a limited amount of leather the front has nearly all gone there's probably about 10 out the back and the inside is a completely different colour. My watch guy is making me a special one piece 18mm using one of the two buckles from the case :-)

I picked up my dads gold watch we decided just to glue it as the stitching might take away from the watch. I'm going to try and source a better buckle for this. It's 18mm none tapering strap so 18mm buckle too. Two piece keepers both floating.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    Picked up my finished strap at the weekend and worn it in on my Blackbay homage. I've been rolling the leather about a bit to weather it a bit more and it looks amazing. I hope these pictures do it justice.

He's just finished an Asprey strap for my late dads 1960's avia 9ct gold watch as it has fixed bars and a 20mm to 16mm strap for my good mate and first customer Tom Dick he's a stickler for quality so let's hope it passes his quality control :-)

Baden
    Love this "coarse" style of strap, pairs perfectly with the Tudor!

Got my first one piece strap today it's a beauty. Sadly these are night shots. Will post some daylight ones these weekend.

Because of the leathers thickness they will need some wearing in but they are going to age beautifully.

He can do these in most widths 18mm 20 mm and possibly 22mm although I have tried that width yet.

If anyone is interested LMK ;-)

So far we haven't got a name for this little venture so I think Asprey is apt.

I'm having to straps made with the original 19mm brass buckles from the case, ones mine and I will do something special for eddys charity with the other :-)

Thanks for the support Baden

Craftsman
    Lovely straps, can I ask where you got the BB homage from?

Very nice straps I would be interested in one for my Speedbird PRS1 in 18mm the leather looks great nice job !

Just a few of the Asprey straps my leather worker has made for me. We've got enough leather left to make about 12-16 straps. I've got a few orders off some interested parties on here and Eddy has kindly let me advertise them on here.

One piece Straps for fixed bars will be £45 shipped in the UK the asprey leather is 3mm thick so will need a bit off room I've used it on www watches and my omega fat arrow with no problems but it's a tight squeeze on modern G10 watches.

The two section are one ply so natural on the inside these again are £45 available in 18, 20 and 22mm either straight or tapering by 2mm to the buckle.

The 18-22mm can have thumbnail buckle the 22mm can have a pre v Panerai style buckle too.

Here's a few examples

20mm - 20mm two piece

18mm one piece

20mm to 18mm for Dickstar77's speedy

18mm for my dads fixed bar

A few other straps that he's made for me over the years

Thanks for looking Baden

Master
    Very nice indeed, looking forward to receiving mine.

Yes they all look nice also looking forward to receiving mine for the PRS-1

Thanks for the orders guys ;-) I've put a special one up for auction on the sales thread ;-)

Pick up my strap today it's very nice well made and supple leather so it's going to be getting some wrist time with the Speedbird cheers to Baden and his strap maker!

Last edited by Jackwibble; 24th November 2014 at 16:21.

That looks beautiful mate I'm glad to be part of the marriage ;-) just give it a couple of weeks wear and the leather will take on a whole new patina.

Regards Baden

That's looking good Baden can't wait cheers again for the opportunity and the sterling service.