closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anatomy of a 321

Craftsman

Anatomy of a 321

The Ed White I acquired a couple of years ago was feeling a bit ‘rough’ when wound, chrono re-set not as crisp as it should be and the timekeeping was deteriorating so off it went to Swisstec /STS for a service.

Simon Freese kindly arranged to take photos of the movement at various stages of the service so I’ve arranged them below in what (I hope) is chronological order. He forgot to to take a snap of the finished movement in all it’s glory before recasing and testing but it’s now back chez moi and running as sweet as the proverbial. I asked for no cosmetic work to be done bar a good clean as I think with these tool watches leaving evidence of their history is the proper thing to do. Only noticeable change was reverting back to the correct black rehaut between the crystal and the dial.

Anyhoo – hope you enjoy a delve into the innards of one of the most iconic chronograph movements ever made the Cal 321.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by brownip; 30th October 2014 at 19:46.

Beautiful! I've got a similar set of pictures done by Simon for my 1969 speedy. They really are an amazing thing to see taken apart like that. Thanks for sharing.

I like!

Looking at these pictures I can practically feel the love...

Wow what a great post thanks for sharing that .

Journeyman
    One of the best posts I've seen for a while.

Thanks for sharing, terrific photos , super record of your 321

Outstanding.

Master
    I sometimes think the cost of servicing can be a bit steep, but when you see what it entails, basically a complete strip down and re-build, then it would actually seem more like decent VFM.

Those are some great photos and nice to have a record of the work that was done on your watch.

Grand Master
    Nice set of pics.

Chronographs are far more demanding to work on, simply due to the number of parts.There's also more scope for things to be wrong.

I lack experience with chronographs, so I still get a sense of relief when everything goes back properly and works as it should.

Paul

Master
    Great set of pictures.

Fabulous set of pics.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I sometimes think the cost of servicing can be a bit steep, but when you see what it entails, basically a complete strip down and re-build, then it would actually seem more like decent VFM.

Those are some great photos and nice to have a record of the work that was done on your watch.
    Completely agree with everything you said!

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Master
    Amazing. I just love to see these stripped and reassembled. It just shows how intricate these autos are. Marvellous. Thanks for sharing

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments chaps. It is amazing to see how intricate and many layered mechanical movements are - I'd love to see a similar set of pictures featuring a really complicated watch - anyone have any they'd care to share?

The difference in accuracy and smoothenss of operation pre and post service was something to behold. So much so that post the Xmas wallet melt down its' younger sibling will be heading off to deepest Essex too.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by brownip; 31st October 2014 at 11:56.

really interesting post and nice to see such nice finishing inside these vintage pieces