closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ultrasonic Mice repellents do they work ?

Craftsman

Ultrasonic Mice repellents do they work ?

Does anyone know if ultrasonic Mice repellents actually work ?

Master
    I have three at work, and I've caught three mice (one quite close to the device) this winter so far

Craftsman
    guess that means they don't work then ?

Master
    Didn't work for me. I put 6 of them in our loft and it didn't do any good at all. In then end I had to put poison down. The mice were all gone within a week.

Craftsman
    I had trouble with mice in old house. I don't think that they are any good at getting rid of mice, but perhaps once you have got rid of them they are a deterrent? My experience anyway.

We got one that also sent some sort of impulse around your elctrical supply. Could all be marketing.

Master
    I can say they definitely work for me - nearly 200yr old house - always used to have lots of problems - had none at all since been using these devices about 2 years ago.

Getting a puppy soon though, so they may have to go after that? I presume they will be audible to dogs?

Journeyman
    A friend has a mouse problem and has these with no effect unfortunately

I've suggested a cat !

<<< I am not at all happy with this thread

Bzzzzzzz

I tried them when I was a student living in a mice infested house. The mice seemed expressly to take a detour to crap on them, as a bit of a middle finger up to me.

So no, they don't work.

My sister could hear them though, which was kind of weird and freaky. They didn't keep her away either though.

A few more comments from researchers around the world

Mogens Lund, the Danish Pest Infestation Laboratory, Denmark:
    "…ultrasonics are in no way a solution to a rodent problem" - "In no case has the effect on brown rats been of practical importance" (following testing of 11 different devices that produce sounds in different ways) - "our negative attitude is based not only on information from experts in many other countries, but primarily on our own investigations"

Dr. Michael Rust, Univ. Calif. At Riverside, Dept. of Entomology:
    "There is nothing in the way of behavioral or biological response that has any meaning".

L. O. Nelson - Office of the State Chemist, Purdue University, Indiana:
    "The best advice regarding ultrasonic devices is to let the buyer beware. Ultrasonic devices have never been shown to control rats and mice by themselves or control insects."

Both the Federal Trade Commission and the Environmental Protection Agency have given close scrutiny to the claims made for ultrasonic pest control devices, and they are highly concerned that claims are made with no verifiable data to back them up. In Indiana the state required 44 manufacturers of the devices to submit data to support their claims, and received it from only 5 of the 44. Upon review of this data from the 5 manufacturers the state found no information or evidence that would support the claims made on the labels, "and that includes the rodent control claims."

The Advertising Standards Authority will be all over the companies that sell these devices................soon.

Last edited by patrick; 30th October 2014 at 17:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    <<< I am not at all happy with this thread
    , like it!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    No...don't waste your money.

None of this touchy-feely humane trapping and releasing rubbish either....poison the little buggers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    No...don't waste your money.

None of this touchy-feely humane trapping and releasing rubbish either....poison the little buggers.

This ^^^

I have an ultrasonic one in the garage. I think it just emits a rhythmic beat

..... that the mice dance to - as they're eating my car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post

..... that the mice dance to - as they're eating my car.
    Irish Spring Original Deodorant Soap

I'm told it repels mice. I've got a couple of bars on the garage floor under the lotus. Too early to tell really but nothing chewed so far.

A 99p metal mouse trap baited with some chocolate biscuit, tied on with some thread, will work every time.
    F.T.F.A.

Mice love snickers / mars bars and the chewy caramel sticks to their teeth - making the mechanical devices very effective :)

Master
    Got to agree, I've had these plug ins for years........the mice love them :(

Ultrasonic Mice repellents do they work ?

Snap trap baited with crunchy peanut butter

Master
    Blog Entries
    Little Nipper traps with chocolate if you are happy to get your hands dirty. Poison (coated corn?) if you want them to die "ex camera". Only people who haven't had mice would go for this sort of humane option.

Grand Master
    Put cheese out.

Sit on sofa.........with shotgun.

Obviously wait until all the meecies come out to eat n play.......or your wasting the shot!.

Then let em have it

Messy yes but no more pesky meecies he he he ;-).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Irish Spring Original Deodorant Soap

I'm told it repels mice. I've got a couple of bars on the garage floor under the lotus. Too early to tell really but nothing chewed so far.
    Thanks - worth a try. I suppose worst case scenario is that the car is eaten by more sweet smelling rodents

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I can say they definitely work for me - nearly 200yr old house - always used to have lots of problems - had none at all since been using these devices about 2 years ago.

Getting a puppy soon though, so they may have to go after that? I presume they will be audible to dogs?

I have had exactly the same experience in our old house.

And they don't affect dogs either - they work at a higher frequency range than a dog hears. We have a dog and it doesn't remotely bother him.

Get a couple of this model though (not had a single instance since we installed them) as it also sends an electromagnetic pulse around your wiring that they don't like up 'em either:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Pest-Repeller-Ultrasonic-Electromagnetic-Rat-Mouse-Home-Repellent-House-/251674996242?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_ Pest_Control_CV&hash=item3a98ffae12