closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie: advice on Bretling, Tag or Omega?

Apprentice

Newbie: advice on Bretling, Tag or Omega?

Hi, I've just joined this board as I've decided to dip my toe a bit further into the watches, so would like some advice you would be so kind.

I have a few watches at the minute, but all around the £200-300 mark, so nothing extravagant, but I like them and am becoming more interested in them.

As I've always liked the idea of owning a really nice watch I've decided to treat myself to something more upmarket. I've always wanted a Breitling, I'm not sure why, I've just always liked them. For my budget I could only afford an approved secondhand watch in the Colt range.

However, my question is, is that the best place to spend my money? Am I better off looking at the equivalent Omega or Tag in terms of owning a 'better' watch?

Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Master
    Morning and welcome,

Best advice would be to buy something you really like first, worry about any perceived brand advantages later on.

What kind of watch are you after - diver/pilot/dress/other?

Welcome aboard. To be honest if you've always liked Breitling, then that's what I'd get if I were you. I've never owned a Colt but think it's a great looking watch, and particularly like the silver dial version.

Go for it :-D

Master
    Welcome!

Purely down to personal taste, I'd say. All three have their share of winners, and it really comes down to what you like the look of.

That said, for me personally it would be Omega all the way. I much prefer their overall aesthetic, they have some real classics in their range.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Morning and welcome,

Best advice would be to buy something you really like first, worry about any perceived brand advantages later on.

What kind of watch are you after - diver/pilot/dress/other?
    First rate advice - Never buy on Brand or price first, choose a watch you like and then check the price

Breitling Colts have a decent reputation, if that's what you fancy.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you to quadruple your budget and buy a Seiko or a Rolex, but just ignore them and choose a watch you like!

M.

Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend buying a watch / brand that you really want first. You'll appreciate it far more in the long run.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RichUK View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend buying a watch / brand that you really want first. You'll appreciate it far more in the long run.
    Sound advice. Everyone has an opinion on what looks nice. Many will say stay clear of Tag but if you like the look of them then go for it.

If you like the colt then go for it - there's loads of versions to choose from. They make a great secondhand buy too. Never settle for something that is *close* to what you have always wanted as you'll forever be thinking 'what if'...

If a Breitling Colt is what you are really after go for it. Don't forget to get box and papers when buying used watches, especially with brands like Breilting, Omega or Tag.

Personally, in that price range and those models - Omega stands out. I do own a Breitling at the moment as well as a number of Omega watches - but I'd go for a SMP over a Colt.

Welcome!
    It's just a matter of time...

Hi and welcome.

Don't be too hasty in buying what you think you should buy. If Breitling is what you prefer then look at them. Decide which watch you really want rather than just what you can afford from a dealer.

Research the watch you want in as much depth as you can and then you can look at places like eBay. Beware though as there are lots of fakes about so you need to know what you're doing.

Hang round here and join in too and in s couple of months who knows what you'll find!

Master
    Hi
    I have a Breitling and an Omega. Of the two I would probably say the Omega was better in that it keeps better time. That said my Breitling gets more wear as the Omega is more of a dress watch. So in common with some of the other posts I wouldn't worry so much about the brand - I'd try all three on, see which one you like the most and go for that.
    Good luck

Apprentice
    Thanks for the warm reception! This is a busy forum it seems.

Sound advice and what I needed to hear I think - I should go with my heart and buy a Breitling.

I'm a stickler for research so I've been trawling through specifications for quite some time and have narrowed it down to the exact models I would like. I also know I want bigger watch after trying on a 38mm and not liking the look of it on my arm at all.

Apprentice
    Fakes are the other thing I'm concerned about. I've been looking at the dealers and on eBay and there seems to be some good deals from time to time. I assume having a box and papers doesn't necessarily guarantee it's a genuine watch?

Master
    They're all great brands. Tag Heuer probably come in slightly cheaper but don't let that put you off, they're great watches, I've had a few.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by xrt_si View Post
    Fakes are the other thing I'm concerned about. I've been looking at the dealers and on eBay and there seems to be some good deals from time to time. I assume having a box and papers doesn't necessarily guarantee it's a genuine watch?
    Are the papers genuine or fake? I would have thought that genuine papers would be more likely to accompany a genuine watch and fake papers with a faker but it is a minefield out there so you need to research papers as much as the watches........

Fakes are the other thing I'm concerned about.
    Buy the seller, first and foremost. For added peace of mind, buy from a reputable dealer, there are plenty around. Let us know the budget and dial colour / indices preference etc and people will help point you at decent deals from people they have dealt with in the past.

Hi, have a physical look and feel. Try them on then decide. But if you are going for a dive watch, I would point you towards an Omega. Seamaster, automatic. Its a great watch.

ismaaeel

Welcome to the forum from another relatively new member!

I've had several Breitlings and I really like the brand. If you like the looks and the brand, you cant go wrong. I don't think the Breitling Colt is inferior to an Omega SMP in any way. The worst mistake to do here, is to settle for something other than the watch you really want.

There's a pretty good Breitling Fake Busters forum on Watchuseek. It's a sub-forum to the main Breitling forum. If you have concerns about a watch on sale somewhere, just post some good pics there. Some true experts frequent that forum.

Journeyman
    If you've always liked Breitlings you'll probably still want to buy one at some point if you bought something else now. If you only intend to buy one watch in the near future, get what you've always liked. My white dial Colt auto gets worn the most out of my 3 decent watches because its good looking (to me), a nice size (38mm), good lume, useful timing bezel, more water resistance than I'll ever need, very reliable, very accurate, comfortable, and the servicing costs are not nuts. Can't comment on the equivalent Tag / Omega because never owned one, but am sure they will be just as good, but buy what you like most.

Apprentice
    Thanks, I think a few of you have highlighted the most important thing here which is getting the watch I'll be most happy with. I think I'll regret not going for a Breitling even if I was happy with an Omega.

The search begins then!

Thanks, I think a few of you have highlighted the most important thing here which is getting the watch I'll be most happy with. I think I'll regret not going for a Breitling even if I was happy with an Omega.

The search begins then!
    Good choice!

One thing though if you are buying used stick around and do your research, there is nothing worse than buying on impulse and then finding out the problems later. There is plenty of good advice to be had and a little knowlege can get you a good deal.

Journeyman
    Hi
    Not too long ago I was in a similar situation and to solve the conundrum I just went and tried on a lot of watches. I walked away with a Breitling SuperOcean and I have not been dissapointed

Quote Originally Posted by anoetic View Post
    Hi
    Not too long ago I was in a similar situation and to solve the conundrum I just went and tried on a lot of watches. I walked away with a Breitling SuperOcean and I have not been dissapointed
    .jpg or it didn't happen

Love the 2006-2011 Colt

Craftsman
    My first high end watch was a Breitling Crosswind.....I felt like a million bucks with that thing on my wrist...Something iconic about Breitling..

Good luck with the hunt.

Best,
    Guillermo

Banned
    I would lean more to a Breitling, however I think there's more charm in the retro models that the latest stuff.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Good choice!

One thing though if you are buying used stick around and do your research, there is nothing worse than buying on impulse and then finding out the problems later. There is plenty of good advice to be had and a little knowlege can get you a good deal.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be taking the process slowly as I'm keen to get exactly the right watch now. Luckily, I'm generally not that impulsive either, unless it comes to cars but they're my passion.

I'll be asking on here for advice for sure as this place seems super friendly, which makes a nice change for a forum!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    My first high end watch was a Breitling Crosswind.....I felt like a million bucks with that thing on my wrist...Something iconic about Breitling..

Good luck with the hunt.

Best,
    Guillermo
    That's made me feel good :)

Looking forward to that feeling now!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I would lean more to a Breitling, however I think there's more charm in the retro models that the latest stuff.

That's a stunning watch! What model is that one?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Love the 2006-2011 Colt

They are good looking watches, IMO of course. I find myself much preferring the blue faces though.

They are good looking watches, IMO of course. I find myself much preferring the blue faces though.
    Breitling usually nails the blue colour. It's really deep, rich and vibrant. Among the finest in the whole industry IMO.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    .jpg or it didn't happen
    Have faith Although i did miss the Heritage piece out of the name

Blog Entries
    Don't look for those "big three" unless that's what you really want.

First start reading the forum, learn something and discover some other brands.

Don't go for the Obvious.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by anoetic View Post
    Have faith Although i did miss the Heritage piece out of the name

That's great! I like the colour. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Daddel.
    Nothing wrong with obvious IMO. The big three wouldn't be so popular, if they didn't do something right. Tastes do change and evolve over time and overall brand awareness grows too. I see no reason why one shouldn't enjoy the learning experience with a nice watch on the wrist. Also you ultimately need to own different types of watches to really know what will suit your personal needs.

Of those I'd go Omega; but thinking outside of the box I'd get a Grand Seiko, or being less outside of the box and entirely predictable I'd get a Rolex. TBH you can't lose on any you mention, but be very wary of eBay stuff.

Journeyman
    I would also recommend going into some ADs or reputable dealers and try a few on and handle the watches. The more real life experience you have with them, the easier it will be to spot a fake.

It is. He specifically asked about them.

Why? There's a reason they are, obvious, famous, well known brands. Hard to believe perhaps, but they are actually good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It is. He specifically asked about them.

Why? There's a reason they are, obvious, famous, well known brands. Hard to believe perhaps, but they are actually good.
    He asked for advise, so I gave advice.
    He wanted to "dip his toe a bit further into watches" so I gave him another option.

And, who says they are actually good? Or do you believe all the crap they throw at you?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

He asked for advise, so I gave advice.
    He wanted to "dip his toe a bit further into watches" so I gave him another option.

And, who says they are actually good? Or do you believe all the crap they throw at you?

Daddel.

Banned
    That's a stunning watch! What model is that one?
    It's a Chronomat GT, 40.5mm in size. Production dates back to 1997-2000 I pick this one up recently as new old stock, but there's a few to be found on Chrono24.

It's a Chronomat GT, 40.5mm in size. Production dates back to 1997-2000 I pick this one up recently as new old stock, but there's a few to be found on Chrono24.
    Heres another GT from 2000 had a bit more wear (Its former owner also being a member here) than the Captains,
    this is my everyday wearer.

IMG_1520 by rogden31, on Flickr
    also with having more than one strap you can get a different look.
    IMG_1515 by rogden31, on Flickr

Apprentice
    I'd be happy with something just like that. Better start looking.

Apprentice
    I assume Chrono24 is a good, trusted place to buy a watch then?

I assume Chrono24 is a good, trusted place to buy a watch then?
    There's no guarantee - Research your seller on there (do they have a shop, are there online warnings about them, etc) as Chrono24 is really just a shop window with none of the safeguards of eBay even, but many reputable jewellers on there.

Oh, and stick around a while and you'll spot those who have a particular drum to bang

M

Apprentice

Daddel.
    Thanks for the advice, but I want a Breitling because I like the look of them and have done for some time.

I was just asking whether my money would be better spent somewhere else in case a Breitling was not considered a sensible buy really. A Typical newbie question, if you will.