closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sgt Thomas Mottershead VC DMC WW1 Omega watch.

Craftsman

Sgt Thomas Mottershead VC DMC WW1 Omega watch.

Hi all.
    I Just wanted to share this watch to make it known that I will be auctioning the watch with any profit after costs going to the Thomas Mottershead statue appeal here> http://www.mottersheadstatueappeal.co.uk/
    I really want collectors to know about the auction so it can raise as much funds as possible as I believe it is a very worthy cause, I'm not looking to make profit on this and will of course donate a good amount if the watch does not go for well over what I paid for it.

I have spoken to the Omega museum regarding the watch which is reference number 185.13 produced on the 17/05/1916.
    The watch is engraved on the back 1396 Sgt T Mottershead.
    A bit of history>

Thomas Mottershead was born on 17 January 1892, one of a family of 10.Mottershead married Lilian Bree on 10 February 1914, and was working as a garage mechanic when World War I began. Prior to enlisting in the Royal Flying Corps on 10 August 1914 as a mechanic, Mottershead had studied engineering and had been apprenticed as a fitter working in Halton Widnes.He was posted to the Central Flying school at Upavon and was promoted to Sergeant on 1 April 1916.

In May 1916 he began pilot trainingand in June of that year he obtained his Flying Certificate.He was posted to No.25 Squadron at St Omer, flying the FE 2, on 6 July 1916 and saw action in the Battle of the Somme.

Distinguished Conduct Medal

One of his first operations was low-level bombing raid on a German anti-aircraft battery which he successfully destroyed. On 22 September, with 2/Lt C. Street as observer he bombed the railway station at Samain, destroying one ammunition train and strafing another. While climbing away from the target, their aircraft was attacked by a Fokker scout. Accounts of the engagement indicate that it was Mottershead's skillful manoeuvring which enabled Street to shoot the enemy aircraft down. For this action and other displays of gallantry, Sgt Mottershead was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and promoted to the rank of Flight Sgt. He was then transferred to No.20 Squadron at Clairmarais.

Sadly the award was announced posthumously on 14 November 1916 this was awarded to his widow.

Victoria Cross

On 7 January 1917 near Ploegsteert Wood, Belgium, Sergeant Mottershead was on patrol in FE-2d (serial number A39) with observer Lt. W E Gower when he was engaged in combat by two Albatros D.III of Jasta 8. Lt Gower managed to hit one and put it out of the action, the second Albatros however, flown by German 'ace' Leutnant Walter Göttsch (20 victories), hit Mottershead's aircraft, with the petrol tank pierced and the machine was set on fire. Enveloped in flames which his observer was unable to subdue with a handheld fire extinguisher, the Sergeant was badly burned but nevertheless managed to take his aircraft back to the Allied lines and made a successful forced landing. The undercarriage collapsed on touching the ground however, throwing the observer clear but pinning Thomas in his cockpit. He was subsequently rescued but died of his burns five days later.

Mottershead was awarded the only V.C. ever awarded to a non-commissioned RFC officer during the First World War.

Citation

"For most conspicuous bravery, endurance and skill, when attacked at an altitude of 9,000 feet; the petrol tank was pierced and the machine set on fire. Enveloped in flames, which his Observer, Lt. Gower was unable to subdue, this very gallant soldier succeeded in bringing his aeroplane back to our lines, and though he made a successful landing, the machine collapsed on touching the ground, pinning him beneath wreckage from which he was subsequently rescued. Though suffering extreme torture from burns, Sgt. Mottershead showed the most conspicuous presence of mind in the careful selection of a landing place, and his wonderful endurance and fortitude undoubtedly saved the life of his Observer. He has since succumbed to his injuries.

The auction will take place on eBay mid November.
    Cheers Mick

What a brave man. Very best of luck with the sale, from an ex RAF SNCO.

An amazing tale. I hope the auction raises a lot of money for the worthy cause.

Craftsman
    Thanks Tim/Jim.
    The auction will start on the 16th of November for those who might be interested.
    Thanks Mick

Very interesting; I hadn't really expected that RFC pilots would be anything other than commissioned officers. Did you enquire of Bienne as to whether they could run to an Extract of the Archives for the watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Very interesting; I hadn't really expected that RFC pilots would be anything other than commissioned officers. Did you enquire of Bienne as to whether they could run to an Extract of the Archives for the watch?
    Yes I have contacted the Omega museum who could give me the reference number of the watch, the production date, confirmation that the case and movement were matching but delivery client code was in the archives as "stock".
    The museum are keen on this watch but I have said I would rather it go to auction in the hope to get a bit of publicity for the Sgt Thomas Mottershead statue appeal.
    Thanks Mick

Craftsman
    Don't know if this is at all helpful, and watches with great provenance are no special subject of mine, but I was involved in a potential purchaser's bid for a certain Rolex a few years ago. It was owned and worn by one of the guys on whom The Great Escape was based. I can't remember many of the details from the watch's provenance, but it was both fascinating and interesting. But in certain respects I'd say your watch is even more so.

It may help you to know that the Rolex was valuing (and selling) at £30000. (without the history it probably wouldn't have valued at much more than £500). UPDATE: It actually ended up selling for £50000.

If it helps, that deal was being handled by the guys at 'The Watch Guru', who are fairly well known faces in the world of watches.
    Last edited by wolf; 30th October 2014 at 21:56.