closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage as a daily wearer...

Vintage as a daily wearer...

Having dwindled down my moderate collection to just a couple of watches. I just wear the 1665 as a daily wearer and rarely take it off! Which is strange for me as it is the most expensive watch I have ever owned but being a tough old diver believe it can stand up to modern life.. (Well I do the washing up with it on) Just wondered what other TZers take is on it and if they come out only at evening & weekends? When I owned several old Heuers was always very careful with them all but they always felt more suceptable to damage! Well I did bang a NOS Silverstone on a car door.Argh, made me feel sick! Thought I would be more precious with it due to the value but don't really see the point in a beater/smeater unless I was still a Kasi cleaner.....
    Last edited by Snoodles; 29th October 2014 at 11:09. Reason: Bad grammar.

A look through my collection now shows my only vintage watch to be a 40 year old 1665 as well! I'd wear that anywhere' it's serviced, sealed and tested ready for the next 40 years.

Have recently sold my 809 and 806 Navis, Speedy Pro, and several Heuers... I was careful with all of them it has to be said and a little bit of joy was perhaps removed from wearing them because of it.

Master
    All my daily wearers are vintage. I'm too cheap to buy new. I reckon you're right as far as divers go. They're the best bet for a vintage daily wearer, as even with dodgy seals they're going to be better protected than many vintage pieces, especially anything pre 70's. If the seals are good/replaced and pressure tested then even better again. Even so I'm always careful around water with vintage stuff and would avoid hot water such as showers like the very plague.

Though I'd have to add that none of my watches are "like new", no NOS examples. They've all lived a life before me and show it to various degrees. Some might be quite rare, but none would be very valuable. That makes a difference. If I had a valuable/rare NOS vintage like some of the beauties some folks have around here, I would be worried about marking and/or damaging it.

I was careful with all of them it has to be said and a little bit of joy was perhaps removed from wearing them because of it. Indeed that was my feeling also!

Banned
    1970 Speedy here.

For many years I had ££££thousands sat in the box and as a flipper, it only cost me to do so, therefore I now use a watch as intended. Like a car, it could break, it could be damaged, but it's easy enough to get fixed, otherwise the insurance can take care of it.

If I want to flip, on a forum such as this, I can sell my current watch and have its replacement here within days, so no need for a box...

I wear a 1956 Oysterdate in rotation, never worry about it being damaged, in fact when I smashed up my shoulder and arm I was wearing it, although it took some of the impact its still going as good as new. Can't see the point in owning a watch and not wearing it.

Master
    I've been wearing my 1980 blue snowflake every single day since its arrival in late March. I have caught myself putting it in my pocket a few times. I do the washing up with it as well. Have already managed to scratch it while cleaning the inside of our cheese grater :( and don't get me started on the plexi. I underestimated how much of a scratch magnet the top hat plexi would be. But I love the watch. Wouldn't dream of locking it away.
    Last edited by KurtKlaus; 29th October 2014 at 14:41.

Master
    Always wear vintage as modern comes nowhere near the look and feel although I am careful with them and keep them away from water, I have seen pictures of your lovely 1665 and I don't blame you for wearing it every day, its there to be enjoyed Vince and I am sure you do!!!

I wear my vintage watches all the time, I have the 1000M on today.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Always wear vintage as modern comes nowhere near the look and feel although I am careful with them and keep them away from water, I have seen pictures of your lovely 1665 and I don't blame you for wearing it every day, its there to be enjoyed Vince and I am sure you do!!!
    Thanks Bob, indeed I do! Your 1665,1675,1680 Red or the 5513 are non too shabby either..:)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I wear my vintage watches all the time, I have the 1000M on today.
    You'll need it today Simon with the weather here on the South Coast today! Over on the IOW for a few days!

Grand Master
    The only reservations I`d have about wearing a vintage watch on a daily basis is parts availability and risk of damage. Most vintage watches can be serviced/restored to keep good time if they're regulated carefully, so that isn`t a problem.

If a watch has a worn movement and no parts can be sourced to restore it, it makes sense to use it sparingly and keep it well-lubricated. Having said that, everything's available somewhere, so the answer in that scenario is to scour the net and find the spare parts.

As for wear and tear, I always favour watches that can be refinished easily. Despite the 'rugged diver' image a lot of dive watches are susceptible to bezel/insert damage. If a replacement isn't available, and that priceless original bezel gets mashed up, that'll spoil your day big-style.

The most rugged Rolex to wear on a daily basis is an Explorer 1 or similar. The case can easily be refinished and the smooth bezel can be repolished. It'll stand 100metres immersion, so it'll keep the wet out. Same applies to a smooth-bezel Datejust with Oyster bracelet. Many of the vintage Omegas with steel cases and smooth bezels tick the box too; I`ve serviced plenty and managed to get 3bar water resistance, which is enough for daily use. Personally I find smaller watches easier to wear on a daily basis, they don`t get knocked as easily and they fit under cuffs nicely. Acrylic crystals will always scratch, but they're easy to polish up again.

There's a good argument for vintage watches.......and they do look nice in an understated way.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    You'll need it today Simon with the weather here on the South Coast today! Over on the IOW for a few days!
    I'm wearing a Guernsey today just to be sure:

In fact, going back to the original topic, I was wearing an Autavia on Saturday:

My daily wearers seem to be exclusively vintage. I tend to rotate these for work:

This for home:

These for weekend casual:

I only really wear two modern regularly; this as a 'beater':

And this for nights out, where I'm less worried about about something getting pinched/damaged/lost (as it's easily replaceable!)

Master
    Sweet.

Master
    The trouble with daily vintage wearing is that it can ruin a lovely watch:-

Even in this condition it kept to withing seconds a day!!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The trouble with daily vintage wearing is that it can ruin a lovely watch:-

Even in this condition it kept to withing seconds a day!!!

Mike
    That looks a little like my Tissot, which arrived like this. Hopefully a good service will sort it out and with a new crystal it will become a rather stylish beater. Note the very faint marks left from the case back tool. I'm going to wear this when I predict I might not remember coming back from the pub. Or possibly swimming in gravel, or whatever the previous owner did to get the watch in this state.

Craftsman

Wearing this Gira-watch of unspecified age. Not only is it vintage, it's only 33mm dia.

Watches are for wearing. If you are scared to wear something, sell it. Nothing is that rare.

Saw an old friend today . She is standing as an independant in her local elections next spring - I think the constituency is mid Sussex . Anyway , she was wearing a gorgeous yellow faced Rolex Oyster . Absolutely beautiful . Said it was a gift to her from her boyfriend , apparently he's a bit of a wis . Maybe he is a member on here ?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Water resistance is water resistance, so if it's been pressure tested a vintage watch is just as safe to the given depth as a brand new watch would be.

I also don't think there's been any great leaps forward in the robustness or shock resistance of movements for quite a long time.

The only reason to baby a vintage watch would be rarity, or cost of repair or replacement.

Master
    My 74 Heuer Carrera is my current daily. Just like it more than any of the other watches I have had and I am sure it is more than rugged enough for desk diving.

Blog Entries
    Happy to wear this old thing as comfortably as any of my modern watches

Ed... You need to be careful with those watches of yours... Loan them out for safe keeping :-)

Red face As long as it's fully serviced, I don't see a problem!

I've worn a 1665 Double-Red (Mark 2, thin case) as a daily wearer in the past, even swimming with it in the sea! :) There were no issues at all. This had been recently serviced by Rolex - otherwise I don't think I would have risked it.

Just enjoy your watches I say. :)

I don't wear a vintage watch every day, but I probably do about half of the time. I am at my desk in my office at the moment wearing one of my favourite watches. I have been wearing this for the past couple of days..... 6105-8110:

Master
    I wear this quite regularly as a daily. At one time it was my daily go to for a year.

Longines from 1916. Cuvette style case in silver so water resistance is pretty much zero and no shock protection. The only precaution I take around it is avoiding water, so it comes off washing dishes or hands(most of the time). I've worn it fixing my car, hiking, cycling(inc falling off said bike), on holidays in hot and cold climates. Never misses a beat. So even such an old timer like that can be remarkably robust and practical. That said I suspect going by the lack of wear internally that it was bought and worn for only a few years and then lay in the back of a drawer for 60 years, so it has a lot of life left in it.

I wear this to my workshop most days

It is 40 years old.
    Wears well

D

Master
    Another vote for a 41 year old Tudor

That is lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

Master

IMG_1513-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Vintage everyday, no worries if overhauled, gaskets resealed and water pressure tested.
    Bezel-less is better so you don't have to worry about scratching the precious bezel insert.

Craftsman
    I wear this (almost 50 year old) vintage to work every day. I also have a manual wind Omega Seamaster 600 from 1963. Both keep perfect time

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414679524.132903.jpg

Journeyman
    Lots of vintages which I wear for 'normal' use (which is both office and industry, I'm a noise control engineer). Some examples:

(recently found a nice condition original GF ladder bracelet, this is an old photo)

I'm finding that I'm moving more towards vintage these days with an emphasis on Universal Geneve. Good bargains to be had in my view (I have small wrists) and, unless it's military, I'm not averse to a bit of renovation. The only consideration I have are water resistance (no surprise there) and I tend to avoid cycling with anything containing a GP 352 quartz as we have lots of cobblestones in Berlin - if something goes wrong you need a donor for spares.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

That's gorgeous. I've been meaning to swap the crystal on mine to lose the cyclops. Did you buy it like that or did you have it swapped?

Master
    Thanks for the comments - Indeed it is. I've got the original plexi still, it was swapped prior to my ownership by one of our members on the forum, James aka Dreamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by ghwatch View Post
    Vintage everyday, no worries if overhauled, gaskets resealed and water pressure tested.
    Bezel-less is better so you don't have to worry about scratching the precious bezel insert.

Those are some of the nicest looking vintage watches I have seen on here, I love the Gallet especially. Outstanding collection, full of character.

I see that your location is Japan, my favourite country. I'm guessing that you didn't find these watches there. So do you have any nice vintage Grand Seiko's as well?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 31st October 2014 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

There's a good argument for vintage watches.......and they do look nice in an understated way.

Paul
    That's why I like wearing vintage watches - they look quality without being blingy.

Vintage every day for me Vince. The only time I think twice about what I'm wearing is when I've got one on with a delicate insert (Bakelite) and I'm always careful when I'm sporting a superdome

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That's why I like wearing vintage watches - they look quality without being blingy.
    Very well put!

Craftsman
    This has been my daily work watch for the last 10 months or so:

My wife "borrowed" my 1941 Longines cal. 10L for a month, and it survived! Anything she uses goes through a torture test battery which includes immersion in a hot tub, being stuck in a handbag full of keys, nail files and handcuffs (don't ask) and getting covered in cake dough and custard. JLC 1000 hours Master Control testing? That's nothing compared to the Missus Test. Thank God she doesn't drive...

So yes, vintage watches do stand up to everyday use. I avoid chrome-plated watches, prefer screw backs and acrylic crystals.

Master
    Vintage? Does this count?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm wearing a Guernsey today just to be sure:

In fact, going back to the original topic, I was wearing an Autavia on Saturday:

That Omega is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Those are some of the nicest looking vintage watches I have seen on here, I love the Gallet especially. Outstanding collection, full of character.
    I see that your location is Japan, my favourite country. I'm guessing that you didn't find these watches there. So do you have any nice vintage Grand Seiko's as well?
    Thanks for your kind words. I think Gallet is very underrated. Build quality is excellent and if maintained properly and regularly resealed they can be fantastic daily wearers.

I'm not a fan of Grand Seiko. As everywhere else in the world, most collectors here prefer Rolex and other imported Swiss brands.

Here is another one of my Gallets, and also a shameless pic of my Autavia Diver on SC, built with the tough and chunky 11063 case to withstand anything.

Master
    I'm pretty careful with all my watches but have no hesitation in wearing my 1964 Constellation on a fairly regular basis.

Managed to knock the gold bezel off whilst playing with my daughter in the park but my local watchmaker refitted it for the grand sum of £15!

vintage

Can someone define vintage please? I class my 1979 Seiko as vintage does it qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by ghwatch View Post
    Here is another one of my Gallets,

That is a lovely flying officer - gorgeous. President Harry Truman wore one didn't he??
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That is a lovely flying officer - gorgeous. President Harry Truman wore one didn't he??
    D
    Yes, I believe Truman wore the very first execution with the black dial.

Master
    the majority of my small and humble collection consist of vintage dive watches so most of the time I wear a vintage watch. Same as with all modern watches, they do need some maintenance on regular basis...

...like this almost 40 year old Seiko 6159-7010...

(photos courtesy of duncan)

...should be good for decades to come...