closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VINTAGE SEIKO 6105 - 8110 1971 Arrived

VINTAGE SEIKO 6105 - 8110 1971 Arrived

Hello Chaps,

Well I've been looking for an original example of a 6105 for a bit and especially a birth year one, which I'm happy to say I've managed to source.
    It's not with me yet but will be soon, hopefully tomorrow!

However, the sellers photos were not great and I've just noticed a possible issue.
    Also I thought I'd try and pick the collective brain of TZ-Uk as to the originality of the watch.

Here's a few of the sellers pics:

Anyway the issue I've just spotted is the length of the lume in the minute hand, seems a bit short compared to photos on the net?
    I've also just been looking at some other threads on Watch talk and it appears these could be Service replacement hands from Seiko?
    Although the lume colour seems to match the dial?

Can anyone confirm these are service hands?
    Also does the rest of the watch seem 100% original?

Lastly if these are service hands, I think I prefer the look of the 'normal' hands, does anyone know where I can get a replacement original minute hand (or set of hands) from?

I'm going to get the watch serviced and cleaned up (sympathetically) and if I can get a new hand maybe get the hands relumed to match the dial.

Any thoughts or info gratefully received.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Thorien; 31st October 2014 at 11:46.

They're not service hands, genuine Seiko service replacements taper. The hour and seconds hand look correct but the minute hand seems too narrow and too short, it should overlap the indicies. Also the lume infill isn't long enough, it should reach from three quarters of the way along the indicies to a lot nearer the pinion.

It is a lovely example though.

Master
    Although I'm not an expert I agree with Duncan. Here's a pic of so called Seiko 6105 service hands (hour and minute hands):

and this is one of my 6105s with these hands:

These hour and minute hands look like they belong to a 6139 but I have also read elsewhere that Seiko used them in the late 70s to replace 6105 hands and even used the same part number.

The hands on the 6105 were used on other models as well. Here is a pic of a vintage '68 Sportsmatic 7625-8233:

The minute hand in your picture looks similar to those I've seen on vintage 7005 sport divers:

However, as Duncan said it's still a lovely 6105

I have a 1976 6105-8110 that seems to have the same 'short' second hand....
    Edit.... Silly me. I can't tell the second hand from the minute hand today. - It comes to us all with age..!

Last edited by Jim W; 28th October 2014 at 11:49.

While I am thinking of 6105 second hands...
    Here's my 1968 6105-8000, the second hand appears longer than that on the 6105-8110?

It looks totally original to me. I am not an expert on the "service hands", but I am pretty sure the originals had a flat surface and angled sides, not a "fold" in the middle like the ones pictured above. The length and/or width of the lume parts may have varied over the years, I guess.

Compared to this (according to the seller who said he bought it new) never-serviced 1974 example I acquired in 2009 (I sold it later), yours looks great:

Last edited by lawman_nl; 28th October 2014 at 13:09. Reason: several typos

^^^ I'm puzzled as to your comments as Thoriens minute hand looks different to yours. It's narrower, the lume infill is shorter as is the hand, yours looks like all the other minute hands pictured. To my knowledge the length and width of the hand and lume never changed on the original issue hour or minute hands, obviously it did with the service replacements.

In answer to the question about the different lengths of seconds hand, they came in two lengths, very early ones were slightly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    In answer to the question about the different lengths of seconds hand, they came in two lengths, very early ones were slightly longer.
    This is correct. The longer seconds hands were fitted to the first version of the 6105 (the 6105-8000) and earlier examples of the cushion cased 6105-8110. The shorter seconds hand was adopted thereafter. I think there may have been some deviation from this during the transitional period from Proof to Resistant watches but suspect that most, if not all variations from this rubric likely arise from service replacements or indeed wholesale movement swaps between cases of different vintage.

As to the minute hand, this almost certainly came from a 7005 Sports Diver as suggested by Mario above and is not original to this (or any) 6105.

Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    This is correct. The longer seconds hands were fitted to the first version of the 6105 (the 6105-8000) and earlier examples of the cushion cased 6105-8110. The shorter seconds hand was adopted thereafter. I think there may have been some deviation from this during the transitional period from Proof to Resistant watches but suspect that most, if not all variations from this rubric likely arise from service replacements or indeed wholesale movement swaps between cases of different vintage.

[...]

Martin
    I have observed the same regarding the seconds hands. My '76 6105 above got a set of replacement hands with the so called "service hands" and also got a nos second hand which is a longer one. I presume this second hand would be correct for a 6105-800x or a very early 6105-811x.

Nice watch, I was watching that one too. Even if you get a replacement minute hand the lume might not match. Which means a complete replacement set of hands which might not match the lume on the dial. Isn't there someone who colour matches lume? Or did I imagine that?

Any excuse to show a pic of mine! Its from 1970.

Thanks for all the comments and info chaps! :-)

Well, it’s arrived today and actually I’m pleasantly surprised, it doesn’t look too bad apart from the minute hand being wrong.
    The hands themselves seem in pretty good condition apart from the lume.
    I'm planning on getting it serviced and getting the minute hand changed if I keep it, Duncan (Cannop) knows someone who can match the lume colour of the hands to that on the dial.
    That sounds like a must. The Seiko badge is black though so that may need sorting too.
    Also not sure if the crown is meant to lock but don't think this one does.

So, bearing all that in mind, would like to gauge your opinion.

What do you think? Should I return the watch on the basis the hands aren’t correct, or keep it on the basis the rest of it seems ok and they don’t come up that often from 1971?
    Some quick pics I've taken today:

(serial number removed on last pic!)
    Last edited by Thorien; 28th October 2014 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and info chaps! :-)

(serial number removed on last pic!)
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Why?
    I thought it was the done thing. Do you really need to see it?

I thought it was the done thing. Do you really need to see it?
    Not really, but it dates it accurately, ( this is a earlier one with the 'horseshoe' text, it came with just lines of text later) and I cant think of a reason to remove it...
    Its a great looking example though, the insert looks nearly perfect and the case grain on the back is flawless....
    Last edited by JasonM; 28th October 2014 at 17:57.

^ I've used the Seiko calculator and it's coming up as a Feb 1971 production date. So it's now my birthyear watch!
    It is in pretty good condition too and better than I thought it would be.

Last edited by Thorien; 28th October 2014 at 19:31.

I've just discovered the click ball bezel clicks and is bi-directional too.
    Splendid.

Thread bookmarked. I now know far more about 6105s than I used to. Cheers chaps

one vote for keeping it!

I'd keep it, it looks great. Maybe inveatigate the hands further but a 6105 in this state is not a risk.

Fabulous shots above, reminds me I still want one of these some day. Also amazed by the assembled detailed knowledge here.

Thanks. Yes I've decided to definitely keep it. Just trying to find a good condition minute hand now but that's not proving easy. Also a big thank you to all those who have been helping me with information. It truly is astounding how much knowledge you guys have and also how generous you have been in sharing and helping.
    I didn't realise how crazy some of the.prices for these have got though. Was watching, admittedly a decent example, on ebay that went for over $1800 last night. It did have a great dial and hands though. Still went a lot higher than I thought it would.
    I'll update the thread as things progress hopefully soon if I can get the hand sorted.

Thanks. Yes I've decided to definitely keep it. Just trying to find a good condition minute hand now but that's not proving easy.
    There are quite a few commonly available 7005 and 6119 dressier-style watches that use the same hour/minute handset as the 6105. If you keep your eyes pealed on Ebay, they come up pretty frequently. If you are struggling, I may have a spare tucked away somewhere you could have but I am not sure what state it's in.

Martin

Thanks Martin I'm looking. Duncan has told me what models to look for but it's getting one in decent shape (not tarnished). I expect one will turn up eventually.
    If you've got a good one do please let me know.

Thanks Martin I'm looking. Duncan has told me what models to look for but it's getting one in decent shape (not tarnished). I expect one will turn up eventually.
    If you've got a good one do please let me know.
    I've checked my stash and I've only got an hour hand not the minute hand - sorry :(

Martin

Thanks for looking Martin. No worries, I'm sure one will come along.