closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Damasko

Craftsman

New Damasko

Looks like Damasko have a new GMT watch coming out for the bargain price of 4200 euros

http://www.watchtime.net/?contestants=damasko

The DC86, planned for release this year, with it's Lemania 5100 homage movement, seems to have disappeared.

Banned
    I like the watch, but the price looks steep.

Blog Entries
    Far to busy.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    When the dc56 and 57 came out a few years ago they had created a watch with an imaginative layout and technology, all at a reasonable price. This latest production just seems like bandwagoning and profiteering. There's nothing special about it imo (apart from being quite ugly!) to warrant the high price tag.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    When the dc56 and 57 came out a few years ago they had created a watch with an imaginative layout and technology, all at a reasonable price. This latest production just seems like bandwagoning and profiteering. There's nothing special about it imo (apart from being quite ugly!) to warrant the high price tag.

You mean apart from the Damasko in-house movement, in house ice hardened case, in house gasket system, in house case manufacture and the silicon spring?

Although I do agree with your point, if I had 4200 Euros to spare, I wouldn't spend it on this model or any Damasko.

Busy dial but the same time rather plain looking. Closer to £350 than £3500.

Journeyman
    Don't like the outer bezel at all. The price seems ridiculous, even with all the goodies and tech specs. It's a pity. I would have been all over a dc56 or da36 if it wasn't for their poor luming on these models. Something's telling me that their coming GMT won't have e kickass Lume neither.....

I really don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for a average looking watch from a brand like Damasko.

What's with the bloody writing on the dial? Too expensive, but apart from the afterthought date window, I think it could have looked fantastic.
    It's just a matter of time...

Ein Eyecatcher? Nein.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Das ist Meh!

Whatever happened to the DC86

Quote Originally Posted by stan collector View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for a average looking watch from a brand like Damasko.
    I guess they need to spend most of the money we pay them on marketing rather than making the actual watches to convince people that they are worth that sort of figure... ;)

(but then they wouldn't be able to design and build in-house movements and unique materials)

Master
    Oh dear, that's really quite ugly.

Not even a good looking dial - and that one is not - could save it from that hideous bezel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Not even a good looking dial - and that one is not - could save it from that hideous bezel.
    A five-hole bezel, now where have we see that before? Is this meant to be an Ingenieur homage?

Genta was right, 5 holes look much better at a 'random' angle than lined up with one at 12 o'clock.

Craftsman
    Not too keen on the design, especially the green highlights.

Also. I'm sure I've seen that watch somewhere before!!!

Image courtesy of Eterna website

The dial is spoiled by the text in the bottom half. This could all have been put on the caseback in the lovely precise engraving they do, as on my DC56 and DA37. Perhaps putting the model number there, or maybe just the logo in the top half and "DAMASKO" in the bottom half would have balanced the dial nicely and made it less busy. Apart from that it looks very legible to me, and with adjustments certainly no busier than my Voyager, or the PRS-22GMT. A colour choice would be nice for the 24 marker and the GMT hand, perhaps orange, red or yellow. Of course the bezel is the glaring error, it looks awful. The watch would look far better and be more functional with a 24hr bezel. As to the price, like every watch ever made, it's worth what a buyer is willing to pay. For me, even given the movement, technology and case materials it's overpriced. Having said that you can pay an awful lot more for upmarket stuff that looks a lot worse.
    F.T.F.A.

Certainly not one of their best.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Gadzooks that bezel is.....
    Now, lume is not rocket science, nor is it in house. so why can't they get it right??

How much??

Wow..
    I have been waiting for a GMT from Damasko but this is not it, not at all.
    Quite disappointed, I must say, its not good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have also announced 2 other new models, both of which are the DA36 with a blue second hand. I wonder how long it took to come up with that revolutionary concept?

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I guess they need to spend most of the money we pay them on marketing rather than making the actual watches to convince people that they are worth that sort of figure... ;)

(but then they wouldn't be able to design and build in-house movements and unique materials)
    A while back, when Damasko was a forum darling brand, the launch of a new in-house GMT calibre would have been greeted with some enthusiasm - this being a watch enthusiasts forum.

I have never sought a GMT watch and this DK200 hasn't changed my mind, but surely the technical achievement deserves some praise - particularly in view of the shafting ETA has in mind.

As a UK citizen, I find it embarrassing that Damasko continues with its meaningful developments whilst we just have some creative artisan bloke on the Isle of Wight.

Its three cheers for Damasko from me.

In case anyone is interested, earlier today I discovered on WUS this "review" on the Damasko A35-1 movement. The GMT contains a A35-2 movement.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/ulti...w-1047910.html

The problem with an in house damasko is you're stuck dealing with them for servicing and repairs, and it seems to be consistently acknowledged on forums that dealing with damasko is no fun.

And yes, nobody should overlook the technical accomplishment, well done damasko, but it's priced accordingly, and design wise, this is an uglier homage to an ugly eterna.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    The problem with an in house damasko is you're stuck dealing with them for servicing and repairs, and it seems to be consistently acknowledged on forums that dealing with damasko is no fun.

And yes, nobody should overlook the technical accomplishment, well done damasko, but it's priced accordingly, and design wise, this is an uglier homage to an ugly eterna.
    I wouldn't deny any of this. Even if I liked the watch, and the movement does appeal to me, it would require a leap of faith to spend so much.

I bought my two Damasko watches direct from Eddie and have never had cause to contact Damasko. If and when I do, I'll bear this in mind, after all it won't be soft skills sales flannel I'll be looking for.

Oh Blimey - I think I must be going through another 'Tool Watch Appreciation Phase' - I honestly thought I had that behind me.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 16th November 2014 at 17:09.

Craftsman
    Have seen worse! 36 & 56 are their best efforts yet, IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post

+1

Whilst I don't like this particular model, I'm glad Damasko continues to plow its own furrow. They remain excellent watches, with superlative build quality and more innovative engineering than many more expensive brands. My Damasko been flawless.
    Last edited by Dougal; 16th November 2014 at 19:34.

Not pretty and not cheap. No bracelet?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Which is the quickest hand, 12hr hand or 24hr hand?

If the 24hr hand then what is the great development?

It's really ugly and price is crazy.

A lot of people are waiting for DC86 and they stopped it. I don't understand it...

Master
    Does nothing for me TBH, and as previously said, price is rather lofty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pisar View Post
    price is crazy.

A lot of people are waiting for DC86 and they stopped it. I don't understand it...
    +1. Damasko should have launched the DC86 instead of this.

Why do you need a GMT movement anyway? Just get the DA47 with 12-hour bezel

I do think Damasko has been losing its way a bit recently – trying too hard to be different and losing sight of what it is that makes people buy watches. We won't buy any old shite just because the in-house tech costs a fortune

Master
    Hideously ugly. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but they shouldn't allow whoever designed that watch back in the building.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Now that DA47 is a much nicer Damasko. The design has a functional elegance to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Now that DA47 is a much nicer Damasko. The design has a functional elegance to it.
    My DA37 shines like a beacon. I always find it to be refreshingly cheerful, honest and unpretentious, but also capable and self assured. It is supremely legible and carries an irrepressible, almost childlike simplicity which although worthy, might at times be too much for some. I like mine though, it helps put a smile on my face.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 19th November 2014 at 09:08.