closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: State of the Collection *** Warning - there is some colour involved ***

State of the Collection *** Warning - there is some colour involved ***

Hi Everyone,

Now the Longines 2-tone is back from hostiple, I have filled my 12-watch box Woo-hoo! OK the Tudor 'Tiger' Hydronaut is currently on SC so that may possibly go (but only to make way for a Black Bay otherwise it stays!) so as of this moment below is my current SOTC.

However let's get a few things straight before we start please? I only collect diver watches (3-handed watches and not chronographs) with Swiss made automatic movements and they cannot be dustbin lid stupid sized and they must also have a bracelet Also I'm not adverse to a splash of colour. Ah, I suspect these rules I've imposed on my collecting have possibly lost 90% of the potential audience immediately.........

Anyway, for those of you still reading here's my collection:

Some people like pictures, others like good old fashioned stats. To please the latter....................sorted by size (largest to smallest) for no other reason that I had to sort by something!

Make
    Model Reference Colour Year Type Movement Case Height Lug Lug to Overall Weight
    Model Size Size Width Lug Area
    Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.04.001 White 2010 Chronometer 2500 (ETA 2892-2) 41 12.5 20 47 1,927 165
    Baume & Mercier Riviera MOA08778 Black 2008 Automatic ETA 2824-2 40 11.5 21 47 1,880 140
    Eterna Super KonTiki 1576.41 Green 1999? Chronometer ETA 2824-2 40 12.5 20 47 1,880 144
    Eterna Super KonTiki 1576.41 Red 2001? Chronometer ETA 2824-2 40 12.5 20 47 1,880 144
    Eterna Super KonTiki 1577.41 Orange 1997 Chronometer ETA 2824-2 40 12.5 20 47 1,880 145
    Tudor Hydronaut 89190 Yellow 2000 Automatic ETA 2824-2 39 11 20 47 1,833 130
    Tudor Tiger 89190 Orange 1997? Automatic ETA 2824-2 39 11 20 47 1,833 130
    Zenith Rainbow 02.471.670 Mango 2006 Automatic 670 39 9 19 45 1,755 115
    Zenith Rainbow 15/53 0470-670 Blue/Gold 2006? Automatic 670 39 9 19 45 1,755 125
    Montblanc Sport 7148 Blue 2007 Automatic ETA 2892-2 38 11.5 19 46 1,748 155
    Longines 5 Star Admiral L3.502.4 White 1992 Automatic L633 (ETA 2824-2) 38 11 20 44 1,672 121
    Longines 5 Star Admiral L3.502.5 Black/Gold 1995 Automatic L633 (ETA 2824-2) 38 11 20 44 1,672 125
    I've got 'duplicates' that equates to 4 series in my collection:

• Eterna Super KonTiki
    • Tudor Hydronaut
    • Zenith Rainbow
    • Longines Admiral

Here's the 3 x Super KonTiki's:
    The Eterna Super KonTiki series is the fave series in my collection. The quality and feel of these watches is just awesome. 40mm is perfect size for my 7.25 inch wrist too! The green and red ones are identical except for colour, the orange Limited Edition is different from it's two siblings due to Arabic numbering and slightly different crown design. IMHO the orange one does look very similar to the Breitling Superocean coral version from around the same time, the Eterna's cyclops though is a major difference. Orange Eterna came out in 1997, was the Breitling coral in 1998? I cannot speak highly enough of Eterna KonTiki's, I absolutely love 'em

Here is a pair of 'Nauts:

Here's a brace of Zeniths Rainbows:
    Here's 10-stars worth of 1990's Longines Admirals:
    Many people find the roman numeral, unusual hands and 12-sided case of the B&M Riviera a major turn off......I don't but I do wish the bracelet tapered down to the clasp a fraction:
    Montblanc Sport is possibly the best quality watch in my collection. Decent weight too, although it's 'only' 38mm it would make a good knuckle-duster!:
    and finally the watch that probably gets the most comments from the non-WIS community................and that's obviously only because they spot that the hour hand always exactly overlays the minute hand and not because of it's distinctive white and red colour......:

Some of you may have seen the yellow/orange dial Zenith advertised as yellow on some postings, others may have seen it advertised as orange. What's the difference between yellow and yellow/orange? This is the difference:
    Ah, so the Zenith is definitely orange then.................nope:

The answer is that the Zenith is mango Or EXACTLY the same colour as the smiley icon immediately to the left of this sentence.................

So why is the orange 'Tiger' Hydronaut on SC? Well something has to go to make way (and funds!) for a potential Black Bay and Dave O'Sullivan (lovely bloke, love his IWC!) pointed out both Eterna and Tudor do look VERY similar:

My watches are all in the 38 to 41 mm range. Here's a pic of one of the largest (41mm Omega) with another white dialled 38mm Longines:

Any changes planned to my starting line up? Yes, maybe the 'one in and one out' Tudor substitution as already mentioned. I also like the idea of a 42mm white dialled/black bezelled IWC Aquatimer from a generation ago before they went to 44mm. But that would mean the white/black Longines would have to go......ugh! If the orange Hydronaut stays then I do slightly miss my Breitling so maybe a yellow A17360 Superocean (broad arrow hands though!) to replace the Zenith mango......or yellow Hydronaut........oh I dunno!!

Finally gone but not forgotten:

If only the Fortis had a polished case and not a brushed one! I'm glad it found a good home with Floyd.

I just had one too many blue watches and it was a close call between the Colt and the Monty Blancy.....the Colt went to Dave's mate.

Having too many blue watches is also why this SMP went to Carl's home:

You never forget your first Eterna.......it only went to Jamie to make way for the red one:

If you've read this far then I admire your patience! Or are you waiting for Strictly to start...........

Finally it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from them:

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Mark
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 25th October 2014 at 19:26.

Lots of effort gone into that post,well done

Master
    Nothing wrong with a splash of colour from my perspective. I've always hankered after an orange faced divers watch but to be honest it's not close enough to the top of the list to be a likely reality any time soon

Although I do not limit myself to mechanical divers you are basically a man after my own tastes, I too prefer reasonably sized Swiss watches. Great looking set you have there, the orange Zenith and Tudors are fantastic. Well done.

A Black Bay will fit in quite nicely.

And not a Rolex to be seen.....shock horror!

Great looking collection :-)

Great collection.

Nice to see so much variety with perhaps rather similar watches.

I am all for a bit of colour, however the spreadsheet is a possible area for concern. What does 'overall area ' refer to?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I am all for a bit of colour, however the spreadsheet is a possible area for concern. What does 'overall area ' refer to?
    Lol Dave!!!

I had the same concerns😜

Craftsman
    Lots of colour. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    You never forget your first Eterna.......it only went to Jamie to make way for the red one:
    Your first Eterna became my first Eterna. Got 5 of the bloody things now!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    A homework attempt at 'overall' size, i.e. case size obviously but also taking into account the much-forgotten lug to lug size........

Master
    Great post, and nice to see a splash of colour.

The Mont Blanc is an interesting one. Lovely looking piece and I really like the second hand.

Nice collection, a bit bold for me perhaps. That Omega is certainly my favourite, love the white dial with that gorgeous bezel. Very striking.

Great collection, fantastic post. Very interesting.

Some watches I have never seen before and they are all cool.

:)

Master
    Very different, and very colourful.
    I do like people that like different things from the norm.
    One question, how do you choose which one to wear each day?

I love the colours! A watch to match every outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    One question, how do you choose which one to wear each day?
    Good question! Most of the time I just grab one watch in the morning that particularly takes my fancy whilst still padding around semi asleep but being vaguely aware of what I wore the day before so therefore try and not for example wear the two Zeniths on consecutive days although I'm sure that's happened

I don't decide to match say shirt colour and watch colour. If I've got a big night out planned then it may be 2 watches in a day, the Zenith blue & gold is probably the unofficial 'dress watch' in my collection although the Montblanc and green Eterna have also successfully acted as such. Now the black and gold Longines is back that too could appear at this year's work's Xmas bash................

Overall my watch wearing probably gets fairly evenly distributed.....if a watch has returned from a service then it tends to get more wrist time whilst I'm getting to know it again......

Master
    thats a great post and i reallylike your collection. very focussed and clearly evident of a collector who knows what he likes, bravo!

my fave is the montblanc although i fear it would be too small on my big fat arm.

I really enjoyed that, visually as much as the story. Thank you. Can I just ask:
    - What exactly do you mean by 'the hour hand always exactly overlays the minute hand and not because of it's distinctive white and red colour'? Isn't the hour hand underneath the minute hand, and doesn't this only happen once an hour (the same with any other watch, and for skeleton hands the same with any other SMP)? I admit though that it's intriguing to look at.
    - I note that your arrangement in the watch box is quite different in the final photo from the first. I think I would probably have a pre-allocated space for each watch, but you seem to vary these. Do you have some logic to the layout (e.g. by order of wear)?
    - Finally, do you limit yourself to no more than 12 watches (your watch box limit) or have you exceeded this?

I particularly like the Olympics SMP (eye-catching colours) and the green Kontiki (I haven't seen many deep racing green dials like that). I personally feel guilty with anything above 3-4 watches, but it's lovely to see such a varied and colourful display.

Thanks again,
    Andrew.

Great post and a really interesting collection, especially as they are all "sensibly" sized, surprising how diverse divers can be!

The stand out pieces for me are the two Longines and the Montblanc, although I'd be happy to have any of them in my collection.

Master
    Nothing wrong with a bit of colour. I have some green, yellow, orange and copper in mine

Master
    Great collection. Have always been an admirer of the Olympic speedy,exclusive and like no other.

Master
    Were are my sunglasses 😎

Nice collection and a great post!
    Thanks for sharing

Needs a Rolex.

Great looking Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Nothing wrong with a splash of colour from my perspective. I've always hankered after an orange faced divers watch but to be honest it's not close enough to the top of the list to be a likely reality any time soon

- - - Updated - - -

You have a very fine collection there.

Interesting collection. Good to see a bit of colour.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very interesting. My favourite is the KonTiki you sold...

Well that made a refreshing change! I am just glad they are all sub 41mm cause otherwise there would be quite a few being added to the 'Wanted List'....the mango Zenith, Eterna and Longines Admirals all look gorgeous. Well played.

Sweet

The SMP great white Olympic and the two Longy's for me good collection

Journeyman

Love the colour

Still new to this watch acquistion game and with a love of yellow dials already you've shown me some options for branching out in style. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Great to see a red faced diver. Add a collection of Natos and you would have endless combos !!

a quick update.........a couple of weeks ago the orange Tudor Hydronaut found a new home across the North Sea with top man Hidde (JackW) and so the void in my 12-watch box has been temporarily filled by the copper TAG Heuer 6000 that I rescued from the bottom of a drawer where it had spent the last few months in enforced retirement. To be honest the 6000 was never a fave of mine (hence it's imprisonment!) however I must say it feels quite good to be on my wrist again and doesn't look too out of place with the others. How long it stays though..........

Cheers!
    Mark

Journeyman
    great collection and dedication to a specific type of watch, well done!

Craftsman
    Great post, not sure about that tag though 🙈 not to my taste