closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which AP RO?

Craftsman

Which AP RO?

15202, 15300 or 15400 ? And why?

(no desire for complications or even chronos so no dual-time , Panda etc suggestions please)

Master
    I'd go with Ultra thin blue dial. Just tried it on and it is just lovely!

Master
    15300 if you have normal sized wrists
    15400 if you've got fat and hairy wrists
    15202 if you're a movement nerd

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    15300 if you have normal sized wrists
    15400 if you've got fat and hairy wrists
    15202 if you're a movement nerd
    Great summary !

Then the only choice is the colour of the dial which for me is between white or blue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    15202 for me - and with the white dial over the blue.

another vote for 15202 with boutique only blue dial for me.

Master
    The 15202 has a thin bracelet, which to me could break at any time. The history behind it doesn't do anything for me and I'm not a movement nerd...

The 15300 ticked all the boxes...so here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    The 15202 has a thin bracelet, which to me could break at any time. The history behind it doesn't do anything for me and I'm not a movement nerd...

The 15300 ticked all the boxes...so here's mine

^that one

I think the 15400 wears very well for the size and I have no problem at all with a sub-7" wrist. The 15202 is a sublime watch too, though.

15300 for me, I love mine.

Although the changes to the 15400 are subtle, I don't like any of them, and think the 15300 is a much nicer looking watch, all the way down to the AP clasp opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    15300 for me, I love mine.

Although the changes to the 15400 are subtle, I don't like any of them, and think the 15300 is a much nicer looking watch, all the way down to the AP clasp opening.
    The reverse for me - I think the changes are all improvements... cleaner dial, better clasp, etc.

Blog Entries
    I've had the privilege to own both the 15300 and the 15202 and the 15202 is the one i still have, its utterly gorgeous and just feels right. If you can find one i'd recommend it.

Here's some picks to help you along...

Journeyman
    The current generation 15202 is a stunning reinterpretation of the original 5402. I'm fortunate to have handled two now, both from different production runs and the differences between the dials was immense.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...&start=0&rid=0

The previous generation 15202 is probably one of the best value for money watches out there on the secondary market. The movement, the dial and the finish all contribute to a spectacular and uncommon piece.

The 15400 as a modern interpretation ticks all the boxes but only for those with certain sized wrist. My personnel favourite being the boutique only blue dial. So if you are wrist challenged the 15300 may be your best option.

You won't be in a position to decide until you've tried on and seen all the options open to you.

Journeyman
    I had the 15300 and 15400 at the same time and sold the 15300. I much prefer the 15400 but I have big wrists ;-)

15400 blue dial

It's my main work watch. I love it. It has awesome presence, beautiful dial and beautiful bracelet.

Blog Entries
    15400 is overly large for me personally , the 15300 fitted perfectly but without doubt the 15202 is the one and only for me

15202 is the one - for sure.

Hope your well

Joe

The 15300 is gorgeous but is a bit more bling (especially silver dial) and is more youthful. Darren's 15202 is a lot more subtle and mature. With either you can't go wrong. OP- how do you intend to wear it? Every day? In rotation? Weddings & funerals?

Journeyman
    It has to be the 15202 - a great balance of subtlety and presence together in one watch.

Journeyman
    Easy one this. The 15300.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    The 15300 is gorgeous but is a bit more bling (especially silver dial) and is more youthful. Darren's 15202 is a lot more subtle and mature. With either you can't go wrong. OP- how do you intend to wear it? Every day? In rotation? Weddings & funerals?
    It'll certainly not sit in a safe or only be used on high days and holidays. As is, I suppose, pretty normal it'll sit in the box in the man cave and see wrist time when the mood takes.

It's closest companion will be a blue dialled 5711, so it'll either be white or (so far unmentioned) black faced - probably white. So the one decision that has been made is 'not blue'.

This choice dilemma's been going on for quite a while, but it won't be getting bought until after January next year, so there's plenty of time to swither and vacillate. As the thread shows there are hardly any haters or even dislikers of any of the three models, but from the variety of opinions it also shows how difficult it is to choose between them. Not since the D versus ND sub choice dilemma has such difficulty arisen! (and that didn't end well and 'solving' this one the same way ain't gonna happen).

At the moment (and that means this afternoon and not necessarily this evening) I'm swayed to a white dialled 15202, though not the current production one; the one with the AP symbol at 12 as pictured earlier in the thread (dadam02). But in reality I'm no further forward, so it might just be a matter of seeing what or which one comes my way given that 'any of the above' would be equally satisfying to own and wear.

Anyway, thanks for the great replies. Real 1st world problem, eh?

When I bought mine I was trying to decide between the 15300 and 15400. Originally I preferred the dial on the 15300 with the larger logo at 12, but when I came to try the watches side by side the size of the 15400 swung it for me. Now I actually prefer the smaller AP logo!
    I went for the white/silver dial - swings between white and silver depending on the light.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    It'll certainly not sit in a safe or only be used on high days and holidays. As is, I suppose, pretty normal it'll sit in the box in the man cave and see wrist time when the mood takes.

It's closest companion will be a blue dialled 5711, so it'll either be white or (so far unmentioned) black faced - probably white. So the one decision that has been made is 'not blue'.

This choice dilemma's been going on for quite a while, but it won't be getting bought until after January next year, so there's plenty of time to swither and vacillate. As the thread shows there are hardly any haters or even dislikers of any of the three models, but from the variety of opinions it also shows how difficult it is to choose between them. Not since the D versus ND sub choice dilemma has such difficulty arisen! (and that didn't end well and 'solving' this one the same way ain't gonna happen).

At the moment (and that means this afternoon and not necessarily this evening) I'm swayed to a white dialled 15202, though not the current production one; the one with the AP symbol at 12 as pictured earlier in the thread (dadam02). But in reality I'm no further forward, so it might just be a matter of seeing what or which one comes my way given that 'any of the above' would be equally satisfying to own and wear.

Anyway, thanks for the great replies. Real 1st world problem, eh?
    I would advise that the 15400 has the 15300 workings and the date is quite far in the larger case. This puts the RO purists off and many opt for the 15202 & 15300. I very nearly purchased the 15202 white dial (like dadam02's) in the Paris boutique some time ago and that is the one I would opt for. I didn't buy it because they wouldn't budge on price. Get the rotor personalised from AP with your initials- I always think that looks so cool.

Master
    It'd have to be the 15300 for me but that is because I have one. Just to rock the boat though I say black dial. Blue or silver look great and I didnt even want to contemplate the black but when I saw it and tried it on I was smitten. For me the 15400 look obviously larger and there is just too much space on the dial. I can't really comment on the 15202 as I've never handled one. The proof is in the pudding or something like that and the fact that I have chosen the 15300 and am delighted with it is enough for me to know which camp I am in. Don't discount the black dial!

Master
    15300 for me. I find the 400 a bit clumsy in design and execution and whilst in an ideal world I'd love a 202 (my mate has one and it's fantastic) it is double the money and I don't think I would get the value from that. I'd take the 202 money and put it towards a Nautilus. I'd agree with the post above that I was all about the white dial until I tried the black one.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 27th October 2014 at 10:37.

Journeyman
    The 15400 for me with the white/silver dial. I would love to own one of these in the future. You'll enjoy whichever you go for i'm sure...

I went for the 15400 after trying that and the 15300 on. I find the dial a bit more balanced and the AP at 12 doesn't work so well for me. They are all gorgeous watches, though. Can't go wrong, really.