closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Considering modding my Panerai.

Master

Considering modding my Panerai.

I've owned this PAM90 from new, a wedding present from my wife, and whilst I won't/can't sell it, I've been considering adding my own touch to it.

Its 8 years old now and should probably need servicing soon. Very early on in my possession, I chipped the crystal around the 8oclock edge. I think a non-cyclops crystal would be good, and while its being serviced, I have thought about sending the case off for a little PVD loveliness.

So, a matt black case with no cyclops should totally change the look of the watch and make it unlike anything else in my watch box. Anything else I might consider while I'm at it? Your opinions would be well received, although i find the anti-PAM brigade a little tiresome and its modification suggestions I'm after rather than what you think of Panerai as a manufacturer .

Steve.

I would wholeheartedly agree with the no-cyclops crystal and would do it in a flash. The PVD...less so. The first time you get a rub mark (let alone a dink) you'll be cursing the finish. I find aftermarket PVD especially to be a bit of a crapshoot at best.

If it was mine I would go for the crystal swap and treat it to a new strap to keep the look fresh :)

ps I really like the watch :)

Great watch & would totally agree with getting rid of the cyclops and as already mentioned stay away from the pvd as it could ruin the case.

Getting rid of the cyclops is a great idea. They look bad on most watches, but they are particularly grim on Panerais.

You'd have to be brave to alter the case. I don't think it could be improved.

I had a pattern titanium luminor case done in Titanium nitride a few years back and it was very durable in terms of scratches, but like dlc it is only microns thick- so its swirly-proof but not bruise/dink proof.
    Mine was done by Oerlikon-Balzer and what they don't know isn't worth knowing- not sure what the other finishers have in the way of technology,R&D etc.

As far as your modding goes, what about a more heavily domed (acrylic?) glass from one of the 1950 type cases (if it can be done,that is.)
    Last edited by GOAT; 19th November 2014 at 20:45.