closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What watch next?

Master

What watch next?

Hi would appreciate your thoughts on what my next purchase should be. I was inLondon the other day so thought I'd drop into a few shops. Up to now I'd convinced myself the time was right to go for a Rolex and was close to going for a Sub. I can't afford new so have been saving for second hand. As the Rolex staff in one store were a little too busy/aloof to serve me I thought I'd try on some other brands I've had half a mind on. Apologies for quality of photos, I used an iPhone and had my 6 year old in tow too.

Panerai - I really like these big style, but worry that my wrist is too small to carry off a 44mm case

Panerai 537 - this really caught my eye. 42mm so probably about as big as I can carry off and with a nice waffle dial
    URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Davidrstill09/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/30098A5B-BBA8-47D2-B563-0C44DA5C926B_zpsjpklv6eo.jpg.html][/URL]

IWC Portugese - fell in love with this, ironically whilst reading a post on A Rolex forum. Way way too expensive for me currently but worth saving up for potentially. Bags of wrist presence as it's not only big at 42mm but also a thick watch too.

Not sure if any of the above make it onto the second hand market regularly.

What do you reckon, stick with the Sub or twist with one of the above?

Master
    When I've served my time And have access to SC I may well be flipping my PAM048 which has all the presence of the bigger Panerais but is a much more manageable size as I have I have developed a JLC itch.

Hang on for a bit fella!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    When I've served my time And have access to SC I may well be flipping my PAM048 which has all the presence of the bigger Panerais but is a much more manageable size as I have I have developed a JLC itch.

Hang on for a bit fella!
    Thanks very much - I've been waiting for some while so holding on for a little longer isn't a problem. Keep up the posting as you have some way to go 😃

Don't let the snotty attitude of the sales staff put you off. Get the Rolex but buy it from someone who can be bothered to talk to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Don't let the snotty attitude of the sales staff put you off. Get the Rolex but buy it from someone who can be bothered to talk to you.
    Thanks very much. It's a long time since I've been looked down upon from such a great height.

Journeyman
    If you do decide to go with one of these, my vote is with the IWC. It's a stunner, and perhaps more versatile than the Panerai.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Hi would appreciate your thoughts on what my next purchase should be. I was inLondon the other day so thought I'd drop into a few shops. Up to now I'd convinced myself the time was right to go for a Rolex and was close to going for a Sub. I can't afford new so have been saving for second hand. As the Rolex staff in one store were a little too busy/aloof to serve me I thought I'd try on some other brands I've had half a mind on
    I don't look like the average Rolex customer but every time I have looked at or tried one on, staff have been very helpful and not condescending at all. Not sure where you had this experience but I generally find independant AD's are best and the brand "boutiques" tend to be worse (more from experience with Omega rather than Rolex though). On the other hand am a great fan of the IWC Portuguese and I think there are a few about used if you are interested

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I don't look like the average Rolex customer but every time I have looked at or tried one on, staff have been very helpful and not condescending at all. Not sure where you had this experience but I generally find independant AD's are best and the brand "boutiques" tend to be worse (more from experience with Omega rather than Rolex though). On the other hand am a great fan of the IWC Portuguese and I think there are a few about used if you are interested
    Hi
    Had the poor Rolex experience at Selfridges. Thanks for the heads up on the IWC. I think my 60 day period comes to an end in c 2 weeks so hopefully should be able to see if there's any for sale via the site
    Thanks
    David

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I don't look like the average Rolex customer but every time I have looked at or tried one on, staff have been very helpful and not condescending at all.
    I'm not sure what the typical Rolex customer really looks like but I'm always saddened to hear of cases of snooty shop assistants, and I agree that the own-brand boutiques tend to be the worst offenders. When I hear stories like this I invariably think of the time I wandered into the Rolex boutique in the Wynn hotel in Las Vegas and spent a thoroughly enjoyable 30-40 mins talking with a fantastic salesperson who was welcoming, enthusiastic and very happy to chat even when I stated that I wasn't buying that day. "Maybe not today", he said, "but hopefully one day and hopefully from me". Say what you like about people working in retail sales but good practice like that really sticks in the memory.

SGR

Some sales people are great and others are rubbish, just like any other profession. No real reflection on the brands involved (or the customers for that matter).

David, I've had a Portuguese 7 day and was a bit disappointed TBH, which is a shame as I still think it's one of the best looking dress watches out there. Accuracy was pants and it needs regulating every 18 months according to the manual. It's never going to be a cheap mistress. As you've found out, it's pretty big on the wrist too.

Can I suggest if you've got both the Pam and 7 day bug, you won't do better than a Pam 190?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    David, I've had a Portuguese 7 day and was a bit disappointed TBH, which is a shame as I still think it's one of the best looking dress watches out there. Accuracy was pants and it needs regulating every 18 months according to the manual. It's never going to be a cheap mistress. As you've found out, it's pretty big on the wrist too.

Can I suggest if you've got both the Pam and 7 day bug, you won't do better than a Pam 190?
    Thanks for the info about the Portugese. That's a real shame on the accuracy front. How big is the 190?

I have found that on my wrist a 44 mm Luminor feels too big. The Radiomir line-up feels a whole lot smaller than their diameter would suggest, so I would have no trouble pulling off a 44 mm Radiomir. I do pull off a 45 mm Breitling and a 44 mm IWC. I believe the fit of a watch has a whole lot more to do with design, shape of the caseback and length and curvature of the lugs, than just the diameter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I have found that on my wrist a 44 mm Luminor feels too big. The Radiomir line-up feels a whole lot smaller than their diameter would suggest, so I would have no trouble pulling off a 44 mm Radiomir. I do pull off a 45 mm Breitling and a 44 mm IWC. I believe the fit of a watch has a whole lot more to do with design, shape of the caseback and length and curvature of the lugs, than just the diameter.
    I've always struggled with the Radiomir. I know it looks a bit sleeker than the Luminor but it's interesting to know they wear smaller on the wrist. Maybe I should try one out for size. Thanks

Journeyman
    Interesting. As it happens, I too have been trying to decide between a Rolex sub (14060m no date) and the iwc 500107 and have been trawling through Chrono24 (my post count needs to be upped for the SC). I came close to buying a 5001 about 5 years ago but ended up with a spitfire - I thought at the time that the 5001 was too big on the wrist and probably still do to a degree, but perhaps less so now. The 500107 is a stunning watch but issues of accuracy, as reported on this and other forums, have put me off somewhat. On the other hand, I have tried on 14060s and 14060ms and these were a huge disappointment - I struggle tonreconcile the flimsy, rattly bracelet with such an expensive watch. In know that people will say that you must look beyond that and that by his his all part of the watches DNA etc but just irks with me. I have recently looked at the 114060 and while this is certainly more substantial and has a high quality feel to it, it looks a bit square and the he shape has not yet grown on me.

Journeyman
    I was taking a look at a PAM214 radiomir yesterday and although i have small wrists it seemed ok - to bad it was a commision sale with no box, papers, and in need of a new strap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnosul View Post
    Interesting. As it happens, I too have been trying to decide between a Rolex sub (14060m no date) and the iwc 500107 and have been trawling through Chrono24 (my post count needs to be upped for the SC). I came close to buying a 5001 about 5 years ago but ended up with a spitfire - I thought at the time that the 5001 was too big on the wrist and probably still do to a degree, but perhaps less so now. The 500107 is a stunning watch but issues of accuracy, as reported on this and other forums, have put me off somewhat. On the other hand, I have tried on 14060s and 14060ms and these were a huge disappointment - I struggle tonreconcile the flimsy, rattly bracelet with such an expensive watch. In know that people will say that you must look beyond that and that by his his all part of the watches DNA etc but just irks with me. I have recently looked at the 114060 and while this is certainly more substantial and has a high quality feel to it, it looks a bit square and the he shape has not yet grown on me.
    If the current Sub is a bit too square for you have you considered the new Sea Dweller. Shape wise it's closer to a classic Sub but with a more solid quality to it

Banned
    Hi would appreciate your thoughts on what my next purchase should be. I was inLondon the other day so thought I'd drop into a few shops. Up to now I'd convinced myself the time was right to go for a Rolex and was close to going for a Sub. I can't afford new so have been saving for second hand. As the Rolex staff in one store were a little too busy/aloof to serve me I thought I'd try on some other brands I've had half a mind on. Apologies for quality of photos, I used an iPhone and had my 6 year old in tow too.

Panerai - I really like these big style, but worry that my wrist is too small to carry off a 44mm case

Panerai 537 - this really caught my eye. 42mm so probably about as big as I can carry off and with a nice waffle dial
    URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Davidrstill09/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/30098A5B-BBA8-47D2-B563-0C44DA5C926B_zpsjpklv6eo.jpg.html][/URL]

IWC Portugese - fell in love with this, ironically whilst reading a post on A Rolex forum. Way way too expensive for me currently but worth saving up for potentially. Bags of wrist presence as it's not only big at 42mm but also a thick watch too.

Not sure if any of the above make it onto the second hand market regularly.

What do you reckon, stick with the Sub or twist with one of the above?

Just bought the 510 amazing value for money, P.5000 8 Day in house movement, just checked it, been running for nearly 9 days, and very accurate.

Great buy.

Journeyman
    If the current Sub is a bit too square for you have you considered the new Sea Dweller. Shape wise it's closer to a classic Sub but with a more solid quality to it
    Did not really think too much about the sea dweller. The thickness of this is around 14mm and assumed that this would make for something that would be too thick on the wrist - a similar issue that I have with the 500107. However, it may wear a bit thinner and I will visit and AD and try one on.

Journeyman
    Out of those watches, I'd definitely go for the IWC. Go to a better store and try on the Rolex you like, if you were to get the IWC it will always be the niggle in the back of your mind!

Hi
    Had the poor Rolex experience at Selfridges. Thanks for the heads up on the IWC. I think my 60 day period comes to an end in c 2 weeks so hopefully should be able to see if there's any for sale via the site
    Thanks
    David
    Was it Selfridges where you tried the Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I'm not sure what the typical Rolex customer really looks like but I'm always saddened to hear of cases of snooty shop assistants, and I agree that the own-brand boutiques tend to be the worst offenders. When I hear stories like this I invariably think of the time I wandered into the Rolex boutique in the Wynn hotel in Las Vegas and spent a thoroughly enjoyable 30-40 mins talking with a fantastic salesperson who was welcoming, enthusiastic and very happy to chat even when I stated that I wasn't buying that day. "Maybe not today", he said, "but hopefully one day and hopefully from me". Say what you like about people working in retail sales but good practice like that really sticks in the memory.

SGR
    I found the same in Las Vegas in September, in Breitling, Rolex and Panerai. All happy to talk watches and to find pieces that worked on my wrist. The Panerai guy almost got me to change my 'not buying today, just looking' attitude.

You could also take a look at the 40 and 42 mm Panerai Radiomirs... Great size, and wear less bulky than the Luminor cases... Check out Pam 62 and 337...

You can Check also The PAM 514 or 512 but i think The 512 is a Little Bit to small for a man Wrist.
    What do you think about Omega? Speedmaster or Planet Ocean

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    You can Check also The PAM 514 or 512 but i think The 512 is a Little Bit to small for a man Wrist.
    What do you think about Omega? Speedmaster or Planet Ocean
    Hi. I'm already lucky enough to own a Railmaster so for my next watch I wanted to try something a little different. I must admit I'd not considered the Radiomir and I'm now kicking myself for not trying one on as you're not the first person to suggest them and the more I look at them the more they grow on me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hiver View Post
    You could also take a look at the 40 and 42 mm Panerai Radiomirs... Great size, and wear less bulky than the Luminor cases... Check out Pam 62 and 337...
    Quite liking the 337. At 42mm it looks the right size and if it's a less bulky fit than the the Luminor it might fit the bill. Am I right in thinking the 62 is white gold? If so then I'm afraid it's significantly beyond my means!